Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Going by Hueston Station this morning a private bus indicates to pull in to the left. Bus stops with back end firmly in the middle of the lane and front partially in the Dublin Bus stop. Wait a bit for him to complete what ever maneuver they were trying complete. Then as they were taking there time I indicate and pull around the bus. Half way along the bus when he decides to straighten out into the lane without indicating or looking. I beep (air horn) and he goes mental at me and continues to pull into me.

signs on the bus saying they have video cameras, think I remember the company. Is there any point in complaining?

I reported a close pass to a private bus company a few weeks ago and got a positive response. Depends on the company I'm sure but could be worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first 'well, you've got a death wish stunt' i've seen from someone on an e-scooter - a chap heading outbound here (he was either in the right of the middle lane or left of the outer lane, i think):
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3643682,-6.2303861,3a,75y,95.94h,80.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sh09HxX4DtjhOpTe6jgOcgw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

which for a start, is an interesting choice of lane for someone on a vehicle probably doing about 25km/h. the light went red a couple of seconds before he reached it, but he powered through regardless. i got a kind of 'yeah, yeah i know' reaction from him when i had to hit the brakes to let him past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not so much a near miss but more a piss poor bit of driving. I'm always on guard along this stretch and will usually only pass stationary or very slow moving cars due to road width. Backed off when I saw driver of white car looking in her lap. Then I notice she's absolutely massacring a tray of curry chips. Hard to steer, she heads for the kerb, corrects, then is undecided on which lane to be in. Then decides its the left, before finally checking her mirror.

It ended with a shrug, tray in one hand, plastic fork in other, as if to say "I'm eating my dinner here" :rolleyes:

https://streamable.com/ldybo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Not so much a near miss but more a piss poor bit of driving. I'm always on guard along this stretch and will usually only pass stationary or very slow moving cars due to road width. Backed off when I saw driver of white car looking in her lap. Then I notice she's absolutely massacring a tray of curry chips. Hard to steer, she heads for the kerb, corrects, then is undecided on which lane to be in. Then decides its the left, before finally checking her mirror.

It ended with a shrug, tray in one hand, plastic fork in other, as if to say "I'm eating my dinner here" :rolleyes:

You should report that to traffic watch. Crystal clear evidence of her being completely out of control of the vehicle, swerving into the bike lane on 3 occasions. Eating hot food like that is more dangerous than being on a phone, not that either is acceptable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Not so much a near miss as a direct hit, with a pedestrian!

Cycling along Sandford Road out towards Clonskeagh in the cycle lane on Wednesday. Traffic is backed up at the lights. Before I had any time to react, out of nowhere a pedestrian steps off into the cycle lane without looking, to cut through the cars. Luckily I had slowed down as I was approaching the red light. We collided, I hit the deck, bike on top of me and as I fell my bike hit the side bumper of the car stopped beside me. As I'm lying on the ground with my bike on top of me, an oul biddy gets out of the car, rushes around and says to the pedestrian 'What did she do to you and is there any damage to my car? What did you do to my car?' and proceeds to start inspecting the wrecked looking 05 Micra and looking at me on the ground.

I'm NOT ashamed to say I let a roar at her and told her that I didn't give a sh*t about her car, and if she had any issues she could address them to the pedestrian who had knocked me off the bike and into her car!

Pedestrian very apologetic. Front wheel of bike was jammed but I managed to walk it to Harry's in Clonskeagh and they sorted it within seconds. Late for school pick up. It was only as the day went on that a small bit of shock set in and I started shaking but a cup of strong tea sorted that! I have a large bruise on the inside of my thigh and I think I pulled a muscle in my upper arm but otherwise ok.

I stayed off the bike yesterday and felt really nervous this morning but thought it better to get back on and all went fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Vel wrote: »
    Not so much a near miss as a direct hit, with a pedestrian!

Cycling along Sandford Road out towards Clonskeagh in the cycle lane on Wednesday. Traffic is backed up at the lights. Before I had any time to react, out of nowhere a pedestrian steps off into the cycle lane without looking, to cut through the cars. Luckily I had slowed down as I was approaching the red light. We collided, I hit the deck, bike on top of me and as I fell my bike hit the side bumper of the car stopped beside me. As I'm lying on the ground with my bike on top of me, an oul biddy gets out of the car, rushes around and says to the pedestrian 'What did she do to you and is there any damage to my car? What did you do to my car?' and proceeds to start inspecting the wrecked looking 05 Micra and looking at me on the ground.

I'm NOT ashamed to say I let a roar at her and told her that I didn't give a sh*t about her car, and if she had any issues she could address them to the pedestrian who had knocked me off the bike and into her car!

Pedestrian very apologetic. Front wheel of bike was jammed but I managed to walk it to Harry's in Clonskeagh and they sorted it within seconds. Late for school pick up. It was only as the day went on that a small bit of shock set in and I started shaking but a cup of strong tea sorted that! I have a large bruise on the inside of my thigh and I think I pulled a muscle in my upper arm but otherwise ok.

I stayed off the bike yesterday and felt really nervous this morning but thought it better to get back on and all went fine.

Sorry to hear, but good on you getting back In the saddle straight away.

"Kamikaze cyclist took out a pedestrian right in front of me, scraped my car and then abused me when I tried to confront them"

I don't blame you at all for losing your cool, I think I would have done the same under the circumstances.

The sad thing is that that driver is probably going to use a mutilated version of that incident like the above to spread their anti-cyclist bile among their equally mentally-f***ed buddies but will also inject s little some more poison into some more neutrally minded people while they're at it.

Some people are just mentally primed to hate and blame people on bikes, no matter what the rights or wrongs of a situation are. Ironically, many of those people are the ones that could benefit the most physically and mentally from spending some time on a bike instead of spending it as a hateful mess behind a steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

And on a slightly different vein, collected a mate of mine around 9.30 last night, heading out for a few beers ( although rock shandy for me ) , turning out of his estate with a green light, female cyclist swans straight through what was a red light for her, almost directly into my intended path. I was fit to kill tbh. My mate remarked "no wonder you guys have a bad name with behaviour like that."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I never get this, as annoyed as you are with anyone for anything, no matter whether you are right or wrong, if a person is lying on the floor, at what point is your first response not to check are they OK? There is something rotten in the present day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Crystal clear pic on that camera. What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CramCycle wrote: »
    I never get this, as annoyed as you are with anyone for anything, no matter whether you are right or wrong, if a person is lying on the floor, at what point is your first response not to check are they OK? There is something rotten in the present day.

Depends if your stuck up your own arse or just a decent person.
    People seem to put valuables ahead of a person these days

• Advertisement

Depends if your stuck up your own arse or just a decent person.
    People seem to put valuables ahead of a person these days

I've always been bemused by the fact that some of the hyper aggressive drivers see no problem with using their vehicle to put serious threat on your very life, but then go absolutely ballistic if you even dare to even touch (not damage) their precious death-threat machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Crystal clear pic on that camera. What is it?

It’s a GoPro hero 7 black, It’s at 1080p and 60fps. It will actually do 4K as well, but files are massive and 1080 seems to be more than enough for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    I've always been bemused by the fact that some of the hyper aggressive drivers see no problem with using their vehicle to put serious threat on your very life, but then go absolutely ballistic if you even dare to even touch (not damage) their precious death-threat machines.
    Wasn't there one of the UK helmetcammers who responded to the dire 'if you ever touch my car again' threats by reaching out with one finger and carefully leaving a single fingerprint on the window or roof? Must try that move some day...

Wasn't there one of the UK helmetcammers who responded to the dire 'if you ever touch my car again' threats by reaching out with one finger and carefully leaving a single fingerprint on the window or roof? Must try that move some day...

TBH a couple of years back I used to be more militant, would give a little slap on the roof passing a car that had close passed me in town etc. Nowadays I dont bother as it's just not worth the agro for me. Plus some people out there are gone batsh*t crazy in the head, especially where attitudes to people on bikes are concerned, so you never know what you might be getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

TBH a couple of years back I used to be more militant, would give a little slap on the roof passing a car that had close passed me in town etc. Nowadays I dont bother as it's just not worth the agro for me. Plus some people out there are gone batsh*t crazy in the head, especially where attitudes to people on bikes are concerned, so you never know what you might be getting into.

Same as yourself, I am a hothead by nature & a big enough guy but you have to do the math on this, if it comes to it I'm no match for a 4"10 idiot behind the wheel of a fiat cinquecento. I've seen enough YouTube clips of idiots driving into eachother due to road rage & I dont want to be another statistic. Particularly as the icing on the cake would be a 1 year suspended sentence due to being "very sorry" in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same as yourself, I am a hothead by nature & a big enough guy but you have to do the math on this, if it comes to it I'm no match for a 4"10 idiot behind the wheel of a fiat cinquecento. I've seen enough YouTube clips of idiots driving into eachother due to road rage & I dont want to be another statistic. Particularly as the icing on the cake would be a 1 year suspended sentence due to being "very sorry" in court.

It's a personal choice, for sure, but if you ignore bad behaviour, you enable it to continue.

It is possible to engage with other adults in a public place without road rage or having a go. It's just one adult talking to another adult, same as you might do if someone skips an ATM queue or lets their dog crap on your lawn.

Make it socially unacceptable and things just might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

For anyone interested, Council are putting down Orcas on Custom House Quay this morning. Interested to see how this unfolds with the coaches that regularly park there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

orcas are another word for what i've seen referred to as armadillos, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not quite a near miss (as a lot of posts here seem to start, sos should be ok)....N11 inbound just after Booterstown Avenue. Land rover or some such parked in bicycle lane. Cyclist has engaged with the vehicle, first from behind, slapping the back window for them to move. Then coming alongside the passenger window. Didnt look like the driver was going to move. Wonder how it ended up. It's a nice hill to pick up some speed on, I think I would have just left it and gone on the bus lane to go around them, was plenty of time/space to do so. Not a criticism of what he did, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I believe so. Armadillo probably more accurate unless its a dwarf Orca whale

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Let's call them Dime bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

They also put poles in every 7th Orca/armadillo/dimebar. Just in case the big wheeled buses ignore them.
    But they only seem to have done half the Quay.Custom House.jpg

It's a personal choice, for sure, but if you ignore bad behaviour, you enable it to continue.

It is possible to engage with other adults in a public place without road rage or having a go. It's just one adult talking to another adult, same as you might do if someone skips an ATM queue or lets their dog crap on your lawn.

Make it socially unacceptable and things just might change.

I do actually agree with you I don't shy away from a discussion if its warranted. I just think things like slapping the roof are extremely unlikely to lead to any sort of a positive outcome.

Funny enough, in recent times I've actually become more vocal in the car when for example I see someone beside me with their head down looking at their phone. I'll beep them and try to get their attention, roll down the window and say "Would you mind leaving your phone alone when driving - it's dangerous to other road users".

I probably wouldn't when on the bike, because all the anti-cyclist rubbish runs so strong in peoples brains now. Feels like, they'll accept it more readily when you're "one of them", whereas if it was a "cyclist telling them what to do" - well, you know where that's going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Armadillos are round like an armadillos back. Orcas are a sloping L shape. Similar but not quite the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Edit: sorry, did not see ED E's post above before replying!
    I believe so. Armadillo probably more accurate unless its a dwarf Orca whale

Dublin City Council has so-far used a product called "Orca". Armadillos are different.

As explained here: https://irishcycle.com/2018/12/06/mixed-views-on-new-cycle-lane-dividers-in-dublin/ -- "The Orcas are similar to but different than "Armadillos" humps. Orcas are rounded on the cycling lane side and have a flat face on the side installed towards motorists, while Armadillos are rounded on both sides."

Armadillos:
    Armadillos.jpg

Orcas:
    DtowGMlXcAAoHL8-1.jpg?zoom=1.375&resize=650%2C276&ssl=1

Armadillos also come in the same colours and a lower height too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Chiparus wrote: »
    They also put poles in every 7th Orca/armadillo/dimebar. Just in case the big wheeled buses ignore them.
    But they only seem to have done half the Quay.Custom House.jpg

Saw this for the first time on the commute this morning and it's probably the most ridiculous piece of road/cycle infrastructure I've seen, more the location than the idea. The bus stop is still in existence and as mentioned it’s only the 2nd half of the quay that is segregated so all the private operators that use the stop and before it as a parking spot will not be curtailed and if there is a bus stopped/parked are you supposed to weave back into the cycle lane after. Wouldn’t like to try that at a reasonable speed.

Are the council completely inept when it comes to roads and maintenance, if they bothered to properly fix the pothole further up towards the light vehicles wouldn’t have the need to veer into the cycle lane avoiding it. In my years commuting I’ve never had a problem with this section of the quays, even with buses parked I’d take the lane from the lights and veer back into the cycle lane after the bus stop.

you gotta love the idea that they probably sent several workmen down to do that over a day or two, instead of a garda already on the beat being tasked to head down for ten minutes once a day telling drivers 'you're getting a warning for the next week or two, after that tickets will be handed out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I would rather get into a pen with a mad bull than do that in Dublin traffic. Consider that the consumption of cocaine has gone way up in this country. I'm not suggesting people snort and drive but you don't know what you're dealing with on the roads. I have noticed a significant rise in aggression towards cyclists in the last year or so and I don't mean just calling cyclists names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Very similar to the one at the bottom of leeson street leading on to the green. But at the start of it is a loading bay, so there's vans parked doing deliveries at the start of the segmented piece meaning you can't cycle into it, then cars start beeping for not being in the cycle lane. Rolleyes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement