Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most pups in UK have large outside areas which kids can use, familys go for Sunday dinner and can spend a long time in the pub with the kids playing out back etc

They have swings/slides etc. Imagine, even adults use them and they are proper swings which can move.....

Are the irish people that stupid they can't be allowed have a swing in a pub in case they can't use it?

Probably find it is designed for it with soft surface under.
    If an adult uses them then it is them acting the maggot.

If a location serves alcohol to adults and invites them up on a swing .

See how that works out.

Yes Irish pubs are crazy places we love.
    Don't put swings up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

If you’re still focused on and complaining about the fact the pub had a swing you’re either wildly missing the point or a spinbot

The whole issue has moved past that now.
    It’s a case of a public representative making a fraudulent insurance claim and getting caught. And possibly assisted by a colleague in the attempt at fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yes Irish pubs are crazy places we love.
    Don't put swings up.

Why?????

Why should the rest of Ireland have to follow the regulations because of gobsh*ts....

This happened 3 years ago, the swing is still in place. How many other people in 3 years since and I dont know how long before have fallen off the swing and sued the hotel????????

Why should we have to take the swings down because 1 person is incapable of using a swing

Why?????

Why should the rest of Ireland have to follow the regulations because of gobsh*ts....

This happened 3 years ago, the swing is still in place. How many other people in 3 years since and I dont know how long before have fallen off the swing and sued the hotel????????

Why should we have to take the swings down because 1 person is incapable of using a swing

Again unreal group think and frantic witch Hunt going on.

I've been in many pubs in Ireland . I've seen the photos of the swings in hotel.

It was an accident waiting to happen.

If there wasn't an accident . It's a fairly **** pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But there shouldn't be a swing in a pub.

Looking at photos they modified them with anti slip tape.

Looks bad for them .

Again she handled it all wrong. But only dropped case because of a leak.

I wouldn't claim myself . But she probably would have won case as a swing in a bar is daft and hard to imagine the design considered location . This is fairly critical.

Yes she did handle it all wrong she tried to get money she didn’t deserve, she made claims that weren’t true and when she was pulled up on them said I was going to change that, why make the false assertion in the first place? She knew exactly what she was doing making a spurious claim got caught out and then tried to play the victim. The fact that there is a swing in a pub is dumb (although I think it’s in a corridor outside but not not sure on that) but that doesn’t mean she acted with honesty initially. It’s not a witch hunt as a witch hunt by definition is hunting for something that doesn’t exist and calling out the witch as it’s not provable but will result in the burning anyway. This on the other hand is a politician caught trying to sue using false claims then amazingly calling herself the victim. People are rightfully angry as she is part of a problem that her party claim they are trying to sort out. She’s getting abuse she has courted by her actions both before it came out and since it came out.

• Advertisement

I've been in many pubs in Ireland . I've seen the photos of the swings in hotel.

Again not a witch hunt as a witch hunt has an innocent party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A pub is for socializing in....

No . A pub is for drinking in. If you want to be social while doing it fine, but a pub is definitely for drinking in

If you’re still focused on and complaining about the fact the pub had a swing you’re either wildly missing the point or a spinbot

It’s a case of a public representative making a fraudulent insurance claim and getting caught. And possibly assisted by a colleague in the attempt at fraud.

Well I'm not.

We have a legal system. She failed, but tried to make the point.

But it isn't for us to establish if it was fraudulent . The are posters here claiming she wasn't even injured.

I mean the conclusions people are coming to are incredible.

There was a swing in a pub. This is a fact we know.
    People defending that are not in the real world.

Well I'm not.

But it isn't for us to establish if it was fraudulent . The are posters here claiming she wasn't even injured.

What point did she try to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well I'm not.

But she wasn't as injured as stated she was... That's the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

cjmc wrote: »
    No . A pub is for drinking in. If you want to be social while doing it fine, but a pub is definitely for drinking in

Pub means "Public house", not "drinking house".

JeffKenna wrote: »

Back injuries are not to be laughed at.

Yes she ran a 10k . But the old irishism . It is never the same is typically true.

Again would have been covered by professional opinion in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A TD making an extremely questionable insurance claim, while businesses go to the wall with extortionate premiums which stem from a compo culture, while the TDs govt vow to tackle same?

There absolutely should be a "witch hunt".

Pub means "Public house", not "drinking house".

Jaysus.

:D

Pubs in Ireland are for getting drunk.
    This idea you can't drink is a relatively new concept in Ireland . This happened 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JeffKenna wrote: »

Back injuries are not to be laughed at.

Yes she ran a 10k . But the old irishism . It is never the same is typically true.

Again would have been covered by professional opinion in area.
    No one is laughing. She stated she couldn't run for 3 months following her fall yet there's pictures of her on Facebook completing a 10k run. That's a fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Hard to believe how much airtime this thing is still getting.

Media are shameful. She was wrong, she shouldn't have claimed, that's it. Get over it.

Media dripfeeding new "info" almost daily. "Bailey ran X", "Hotel would use CCTV footage", "Is Madigan involved?"

But I suppose the media only give what the people want. I'm still seeing new memes about Bailey and this story broke 9 days ago. Hasn't been a peep about the broadband plan in a good week, childrens hospital - zilch. Even the homeless figures got a mention one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jaysus.

:D

Pubs in Ireland are for getting drunk.
    This idea you can't drink is a relatively new concept in Ireland . This happened 3 years ago.

And this idea you can't swing appears to be only in your head.

I think that says more about you than the pub.

If you are incapable of going to a pub and not getting so drunk you can't use a swing then really you have bigger issues.....

The main issue here is not that she fell off the seat. It is that she made up a fake injury and then tried to sue the pub for 60k. This claim was made up of lies and false claims. Claims like she couldnt run for 3 months but ran a few weeks later....etc etc

The swing at this stage is actually irrelvant. She could have fallen off a standard seat. The fact she lied to try and get 60k is the issue

A TD making an extremely questionable insurance claim, while businesses go to the wall with extortionate premiums which stem from a compo govt, while the TDs govt vow to tackle same?

The insurance industry is robbing us blind with profits .

This is a silly distraction from that core issue.

I wouldn't claim myself . But we can't give companies a free run at negligence..
    It was like that in the 80 s

A TD making an extremely questionable insurance claim, while businesses go to the wall with extortionate premiums which stem from a compo govt, while the TDs govt vow to tackle same?

I know your not defending her but it’s not a witch hunt because in a witch hunt the person being hunted is innocent of the crime of being a witch. This one on the other hand has actually tried to sue and lied about the extent of her injuries etc. she has done this to herself and is reaping what she sowed.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify it’s an hotel, not a pub. Never been there but wasn’t the drink purchased downstairs and they then got in a lift to where the swings are?

So, the swings are not in the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Has anyone posted anything from the FG manifesto in which they vow to protect the Irish pub industry, yet this TD wanted to screw one because of her own stupidity?

cjmc wrote: »

Only alcholics go to a pub to get drunk.....everyone I knows goes to the pub to socialize, some of them will and some of them won't drink alcohol but the main point of going out is to socialize.....

Only alcholics go to a pub to get drunk.....everyone I knows goes to the pub to socialize, some of them will and some of them won't drink alcohol but the main point of going out is to socialize.....

But they purchase a drink alcoholic or non alcoholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The thing about the swing, though is that she didn't use it correctly as a swing is commonly meant to be used. Same as being in a restaurant and given a steak knife. If a person insisted on holding the steak knife by the blade and cut him/herself, whose fault is that but their own. MB didn't hold the swing ropes at all so it's her own fault that she fell off and got hurt. Everything is not a claim or else as adults we will have to accept being minded like children.

The insurance industry is robbing us blind with profits .

This is a silly distraction from that core issue.

I wouldn't claim myself . But we can't give companies a free run at negligence..
    It was like that in the 80 s

It’s not a distraction it’s possible for insurance companies to be robbing us blind and for her to be deserving of what she’s getting. It’s not binary they can both be wrong and deserve punishment

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I don't think Josepha Madigan can claim client confidentiality in this case. If she does there will always be a doubt hanging over her and her career.

Probably best for her to come clean IF she had anything to do with it. Take her punishment, keep a low profile for a couple of years, and hope everyone eventually forgets about it.

But they purchase a drink alcoholic or non alcoholic?

Yes, I said that....

But the primary reason is to socialize....Based on the posts above the only reason some people go to the pub is for "da drink"....that a bit sad if true....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I don't think Josepha Madigan can claim client confidentiality in this case. If she does there will always be a doubt hanging over her and her career.

Probably best for her to come clean IF she had anything to do with it. Take her punishment, keep a low profile for a couple of years, and hope everyone eventually forgets about it.

I’d agree except this two weeks with the special counsel will be purely about getting their story straight and that’s all.
    Clearly they are aware there’s tape of who was there and what came after.
    This will be two weeks of them basically being schooled on a revised version of what happened and it’ll be dropped just as the holidays kick in anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

What she has done is morally reprehensible, but it has been well covered at this stage, and will hopefully highlight further the crazy compensation/insurance systems we have in this country.

Ultimately whether she is guilty of an actual crime will depend on our laws and whether she is re-elected will depend on her constituents.

Fine Gael's actions are also up to them.

I would be disappointed if the law firm that originally took the case and crucially advised her to do so, come out of this unscathed.
    They are at least equally culpable in this money grab.

From a purely personal view Maria Bailey is down and taking a kicking (all due to her own actions) but I do think it is time to lay off this one issue and use it as a catalyst to tackle the wider issues around our claims culture.

The legal system needs to be reformed, Fraudulent claims need to be treated as crimes, and insurance companies need to be accountable.

This story is bigger than Maria Bailey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement