Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I've been thinking about MB and I bet she is absolutely mystified at how all this blew up in her face. Because the thing is, MB sees herself in a class of people that rule and therefore, in their minds, all their decisions are sound, upstanding, totally above board ones whereas if the exact same decision was taken by anyone outside that class, she would deride it as being well dodgy. The tone of her interview screams - do you know who I am, Sean - and also she flat out says other claims are false but her own, like of course ! is naturally perfectly legit. She didn't do the interview to justify or even explain herself. It didn't even occur to her that the nation expected her to do that. Absolutely not, she was there, in her reasoning, to give out for being treated as if she was a nobody. Like how very dare newspaper hacks and keyboard warriors question and find fault with an elite person as she sees herself to be. I think she will have a difficult time coming to the realisation that she is not above question and that the respect she's always taken as her due must actually be earned.
    This post sums her type up perfectly and I’d thank it ten times if I could.People who think they’re better than everyone else except other people of their “status”. We all know people like that. Sometimes it someone who’s worked hard , sometimes it’s people from privileged backgrounds but either way they think that they are due more than mere plebs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

joe40 wrote: »
    What she has done is morally reprehensible, but it has been well covered at this stage, and will hopefully highlight further the crazy compensation/insurance systems we have in this country.

Ultimately whether she is guilty of an actual crime will depend on our laws and whether she is re-elected will depend on her constituents.

Fine Gael's actions are also up to them.

I would be disappointed if the law firm that originally took the case and crucially advised her to do so, come out of this unscathed.
    They are at least equally culpable in this money grab.

From a purely personal view Maria Bailey is down and taking a kicking (all due to her own actions) but I do think it is time to lay off this one issue and use it as a catalyst to tackle the wider issues around our claims culture.

The legal system needs to be reformed, Fraudulent claims need to be treated as crimes, and insurance companies need to be accountable.

This story is bigger than Maria Bailey.

Your right mostly here, however she has actually suffered nothing more than the embarrassment of being caught, if this is forgotten about or let slip away then FG will quietly do nothing and she will have suffered no consequences. We have a terrible tradition of being angry about things and then moving on and letting nothing change.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I’d agree except this two weeks with the special counsel will be purely about getting their story straight and that’s all.
    Clearly they are aware there’s tape of who was there and what came after.
    This will be two weeks of them basically being schooled on a revised version of what happened and it’ll be dropped just as the holidays kick in anyways

Fair point but at this stage the people are not dumb nor are the media. If FG go for a cover up you can be sure someone will discover it.
    How Leo handles all this will determine how many seats FG lose at the next election. They are going to lose a lot anyways. If he handles it well, they might lose 10 seats. If he handles it badly, they could lose at least half their seats. Swing-gate is the straw that has broken the back of many voters, particularly core FG voters. It reminds me of the anger people felt towards FF at the 2011 election when they lost 2/3rds of their seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What else would you like banned from pubs? seats? they are dangerous are they not?

Toilets can be a disaster, ban them!!

In reality the high seats used at the bar are more dangerous, so ban them?

The foot bar running along the bar, seen people trip over them, feck we need to ban them

Tell you what, lets just convert the pub into a soft play area....nobody will sue then.....oh wait the queue into the courts is massive with mammy and daddy sueing the soft play areas all around Ireland.....

Daft is the right word alright, but not the swing

a pub is for drinking in. If you want to act the maggot on a swing head to your local playground (avoid stranger danger moments as best you can)

It's not a swing. It's a seat with two ropes made to look like a swing as a novelty factor to the pub. Maria Bailey basically fell off a chair.

The thing about the swing, though is that she didn't use it correctly as a swing is commonly meant to be used. Same as being in a restaurant and given a steak knife. If a person insisted on holding the steak knife by the blade and cut him/herself, whose fault is that but their own. MB didn't hold the swing ropes at all so it's her own fault that she fell off and got hurt. Everything is not a claim or else as adults we will have to accept being minded like children.
    It reminds me of the story ( true or not ? )
    about the person who dried their cat in the microwave and sued because the cat got cooked. And won .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The thing about the swing, though is that she didn't use it correctly as a swing is commonly meant to be used. Same as being in a restaurant and given a steak knife. If a person insisted on holding the steak knife by the blade and cut him/herself, whose fault is that but their own. MB didn't hold the swing ropes at all so it's her own fault that she fell off and got hurt. Everything is not a claim or else as adults we will have to accept being minded like children.

Yes but to stick with the idea. If you go to a restaurant you don't expect to see a unicycle that you are encouraged to try between courses holding a steak knife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

cjmc wrote: »
    It reminds me of the story ( true or not ? )
    about the person who dried their cat in the microwave and sued because the cat got cooked. And won .

Or the guy in Australia who sued himself and won. He threw a boomerang and it came back and hit him. He sued himself for negligence and injury and won. His insurance company had to give him a huge payout. Clever of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes but to stick with the idea. If you go to a restaurant you don't expect to see a unicycle that you are encouraged to try between courses holding a steak knife.

Encouraged now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yes, because we all learn at a very early age how to use a unicycle and every adult should definitely know how to use one safely.

Or the guy in Australia who sued himself and won. He threw a boomerang and it came back and hit him. He sued himself for negligence and injury and won. His insurance company had to give him a huge payout. Clever of him.

Brilliant, just fcuking brilliant. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't think Josepha Madigan can claim client confidentiality in this case. If she does there will always be a doubt hanging over her and her career.

Probably best for her to come clean IF she had anything to do with it. Take her punishment, keep a low profile for a couple of years, and hope everyone eventually forgets about it.

and if she does claim client confidentially then she is admitting that she was acting for her despite being a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

and if she does claim client confidentially then she is admitting that she was acting for her despite being a witness.

Was she to be a witness?? Christ it gets better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I've been thinking about MB and I bet she is absolutely mystified at how all this blew up in her face. Because the thing is, MB sees herself in a class of people that rule and therefore, in their minds, all their decisions are sound, upstanding, totally above board ones whereas if the exact same decision was taken by anyone outside that class, she would deride it as being well dodgy. The tone of her interview screams - do you know who I am, Sean - and also she flat out says other claims are false but her own, like of course ! is naturally perfectly legit. She didn't do the interview to justify or even explain herself. It didn't even occur to her that the nation expected her to do that. Absolutely not, she was there, in her reasoning, to give out for being treated as if she was a nobody. Like how very dare newspaper hacks and keyboard warriors question and find fault with an elite person as she sees herself to be. I think she will have a difficult time coming to the realisation that she is not above question and that the respect she's always taken as her due must actually be earned.

Very well said and I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

salmocab wrote: »
    Your right mostly here, however she has actually suffered nothing more than the embarrassment of being caught, if this is forgotten about or let slip away then FG will quietly do nothing and she will have suffered no consequences. We have a terrible tradition of being angry about things and then moving on and letting nothing change.

Yeah I agree with you there. There have been councillors re elected in last weeks local election that were filmed basically taking bribes in exchange for planning permission favours in a RTE programme.

Maria Bailey should suffer at the polls but ultimately our democracy means that is up to the electorate. There have been plenty of dodgy politicians re-elected.

I don't think she will be as fortunate so the negative publicity as a result of this will end her political career.

But everyone else involved, especially the legal firm, will escape without any consequences. The publicity around reform of the insurance industry and legal profession will dissipate if this is all about just one person.

This sort of thing is happening up and down the country, small businesses are closing due to this.
    All I'm saying is rather than this been about just the Maria Bailey case it should be used to highlight the many abuses that are going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Wouldn't it be nice just the once to hear a politician come out and admit they where in the wrong and resign from their position. These feckers are meant to lead from the front as an example. Personal responsibility is non existent to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Odelay wrote: »
    Was she to be a witness?? Christ it gets better!

She was there when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

TodayFM made a parody using the Blondie Maria song, it's only on fb though https://www.facebook.com/todayfm/videos/leo-sings-some-swing-for-maria-bailey-gift-grub/1023914437818472/ , quite good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Is it not fair to say compo culture would die down if you saw the insurance industry reigned in from its extortionate charges?
    You have people going ‘im getting bent over and screwed by them’ so they make any claims they can?
    It’s kind of a toxic symbiotic vicious circle.

If you reigned in the industry and enacted claim legislation and reformed the process surely it would be to the benefit of all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'd say Varadker and Simon Harris cannot believe their luck.

The country is up in arms over a relatively small compensation claim, while the overspend on the Childrens Hospital and Metro North, the dozens lying on trolleys in each of our A&Es, the chaos on the M7 at Naas, the poor return for FG in the local and European elections, the lawlessness in the streets of North Dublin and so on slip under the radar.

They should build a statue to Bailey in the FG offices, she has played a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If you reigned in the industry and enacted claim legislation and reformed the process surely it would be to the benefit of all

Is it not fair to say compo culture would die down if you saw the insurance industry reigned in from its extortionate charges? You have people going ‘im getting bent over and screwed by them’ so they make any claims they can? It’s kind of a toxic symbiotic vicious circle.

No people would claim regardless once they think they can get a payout.

The only way to stop it is for obvious cases such as this to be thrown out and the person taking the action to be liable for the defendants legal fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

jon1981 wrote: »
    If I'm driving my car and i take my hands off the wheel through my negligence and i crash, i can't sue the car manufacturer, the road layer,the council, it was my own fault.

How have we arrived at a place in which an adult can claim third party damages for taking their hands off the swing ropes and falling!!! This defies all rational thinking!

You can’t stop people from “claiming” something. You’re acting like she was awarded damages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Spot on. The amount of times she said 'Sean' or 'Sean Sean' was telling.

Loosely translated as 'Listen here little man representing the people below me, do you realise how elite I am and always have been'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Raisins wrote: »
    You can’t stop people from “claiming” something. You’re acting like she was awarded damages.

That is the whole problem, there is no effective penalty for making false or exaggerated claims.
    From this case they appear to be actively encouraged by our legal profession.
    Some Insurance companies are paying out even without any negligence from the business. Avoid the hassle and expense of court cases and recoup their money from extortionate insurance premiums.

So it is relatively easy to make a claim, maybe massage the facts a bit if not downright lie the rewards are massive if successful, and no downside.

Fraudulent claims are not investigated or punished.

The whole system is so rotten and really hurting businesses up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This sums it up nicely.

I know people here discussed lies v errors yesterday but for me, as an adult having lived on this planet for more than 5 minutes could see these were lies and not errors.

She said she wanted 6/7k - Lie, minimum payout in the Circuit is 15k
    She wanted her medical expenses covered - Lie, the hotel offered this and they were also covered by private health
    She said she couldn't run at all - lie, you don't 'forget' you ran a 10k while 'injured'

And these are just the ones we know all the full facts of.

We still don't have evidence of the amount of alcohol consumed, what was in her hands. Then there's the involvement of Josepha Madigan.

The whole thing stinks and compo culture is destroying businesses in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Has it been confirmed she was a witness?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

*catches up with the thread*

It's amusing how the renewed efforts to kill the story and deflect into trivial or unrelated side issues coincidence with the statement from FG yesterday. It was very quiet for a few days there.

It's nice to know that our views are being aired somewhere in the corridors of power anyway!

*waves*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The spin story is out now

1. Why would you have a swing in pub?
    2. Insurance companies are screwing everyone anyway
    3. FG are going to do an intensive review....EVERYONE is available to interview
    4. You go to pub to get drunk, not to go on swings....

All to cover up the main facts which are
    1. She lied
    2. She lied to cover up the lies
    3. She forgot the original lies and then lied some more to cover up those
    4. Another FG politician gave bad legal advice....
    5. Leo will never make a decision in his life
    6. FG as standard are as crooked as every and are trying to cover this up

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

joe40 wrote: »
    Raisins wrote: »

That is the whole problem, there is no effective penalty for making false or exaggerated claims.
    From this case they appear to be actively encouraged by our legal profession.
    Some Insurance companies are paying out even without any negligence from the business. Avoid the hassle and expense of court cases and recoup their money from extortionate insurance premiums.

So it is relatively easy to make a claim, maybe massage the facts a bit if not downright lie the rewards are massive if successful, and no downside.

Fraudulent claims are not investigated or punished.

The whole system is so rotten and really hurting businesses up and down the country.

The system is not rotten. The rules / laws are in place.

1. It’s a criminal offence to say anything misleading in a pi claim.

Are many people prosecuted? No. Is that because of a rotten legal system? No. That’s a question for the Gardaí and DPP.

2. If a defendant sees that there’s something false / misleading re the evidence they can apply to the court immediately to have a claim dismissed.

3. Even if only one tiny part of the facts are false / misleading, once a defendant demonstrates that to a court then the entire case must be dismissed under s 26 of the 2004 civil liability act. That is mandatory. The court has to dismiss - the judge has absolutely no discretion.

4. Not only can a court award costs against the claimant they can even award them directly against a claimant’s solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    *catches up with the thread*

It's amusing how the renewed efforts to kill the story and deflect into trivial or unrelated side issues coincidence with the statement from FG yesterday. It was very quiet for a few days there.

It's nice to know that our views are being aired somewhere in the corridors of power anyway!

*waves*

Over in the politics forum the spin bots are shouting about 20m fines if CCTV footage is leaked.

The internal meeting with their FG overlords last night possibly briefed the minions what to post in public forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement