Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Yes and rightly so. I don’t think it should be forgotten that it was Josepha Madigan who advised her to take the case. She’s equal parts, if not more at fault here. The legal profession in this country are the ones encouraging claims such as this. FG are so out of touch with reality on this issue. Insurance costs are one of the biggest issues in this country at the moment and for 2 of their TDs to be caught out in this let’s be honest, fraudulent claim, is hugely damaging.

Did not know that Josepha had advised her. She refused to say so in the SOR interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Sardonicat wrote: »
    She also said she was unable to run for 3 months, despite doing a 10k 3 weeks later.

And out a lot sooner to train for the 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Just listened to the full interview on SOR. Iirc, she said she was visiting Sandyford when she and two friends decided to hop on the Luas and go into the Dean hotel. Would one of the friends have been Josepha, I wonder? She was still in the Madigan firm at the time....Maria Bailey refusing to say if she was advised by her.

On another note, this does seem very targeted. Would really love to know who released the info to the press. It has dirty tricks written all over it.

It wasn't targeted - it was a discovery application for her medical records which was held in open court (as it should be) and the information came to light and obviously her social media posts (Longitude and 10k run) are in public so it wasn't difficult to see the lies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Listening back to the whole thing now.. the arrogance and indignation out of her is incredible! The way she's talking to the interviewer is shocking, and the ranting about the media and social media is just icing on the cake

Lots of victim-hood nonsense too, and tries to deflect every question put to her with: that's for a judge to decide.

For a judge to decide.......even though the case has been withdrawn. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Peatys wrote: »
    And out a lot sooner to train for the 10k

Indeed she maintained her average time going of the records people have found which after an "injury" and 3 weeks of not running she would have been unlikely able to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

On another note, this does seem very targeted. Would really love to know who released the info to the press. It has dirty tricks written all over it.

It certainly does. But this is colouring her own view so strongly does she feel that injustice and victimisation - unfortunately for her, to the obscuring of how the public is seeing her, and how little that injustice counts for with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think she dropped the case because of the media backlash and the constant attention they were giving her.

Look at this thread, look at the first page, people making judgements right away without any facts or letting the judge decide.

The judge might have thrown it out of court in which case you could jump on her case then. Or the judge might have awarded something in which case you could complain about the justice system.

A lesson can be learned to not have trial by social media.

I mean, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the hotel was liable...maybe the floor was slippy or who knows what was there. But of course everyone jumped in right away, just looking at a headline and claimed she was trying to con money out of the hotel.

We know how the courts work, she could have a bottle in both hands, another one balancing on her head, wearing roller blades and chances are she’s still get a payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Marcusm wrote: »
    Ah that’s not fair. She was not chosen for being a woman. She was chosen because her dad is a long standing FG councillor. It’s not pro-female bias, it’s simple nepotism.
    Hahahaha exactly, that's the secret of Irish politics. The whole gender imbalance is a beautiful smokescreen for nepotism.

Some families have generations as politicians nose in the trough for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I think she dropped the case because of the media backlash and the constant attention they were giving her.

Look at this thread, look at the first page, people making judgements right away without any facts or letting the judge decide.

The judge might have thrown it out of court in which case you could jump on her case then. Or the judge might have awarded something in which case you could complain about the justice system.

I mean, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the hotel was liable...maybe the floor was slippy or who knows what was there. But of course everyone jumped in right away, just looking at a headline and claimed she was trying to con money out of the hotel.

Nobody needed to wait - the damning evidence against her was in her own solicitor's submission. No instructions or supervision were provided for an adult on a swing. And that's even before the clearly incorrect claim that she couldn't run for three months. And I'm being generous to her here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I would love to know what her best 10k time is, as she said the 53 mins wasn't good 'for her'. Just to know if she was bs'ing about that too.

Balls.ie checked. Her times are with in 8secs of the previous year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Btw the dean hotel said in a statement to rte that they haven't received a notice that the Caen has been dropped. Should Maria bailey have said anything about the case before it was officially dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

joeysoap wrote: »
    We know how the courts work, she could have a bottle in both hands, another one balancing on her head, wearing roller blades and chances are shes still get a payout.

Well if they didnt tell her not to...

For a judge to decide.......even though the case has been withdrawn. :rolleyes:

To be fair, people are deliberately or unwittingly misquoting this point. Her full line is that 'it would have been for a judge to decide'. Would have been. She is not being illogical here, as people seem to be misunderstanding her to be, and pouncing on this seeming illogicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...wanted 64k when her expenses were 7k, not forgetting that most of those would have been covered by her medical insurance (and seeing as that was at the beacon I'd wager shes on the very top rate). The running a few weeks after despite claiming otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I assume the Hotel was disputing either the cost or the necessity of those medical expenses?

She may have tied herself up in knots in that interview, but ultimately she was right, it was nobody's business except her, the Hotel and the court.

Not correct, journalists have an entitlement to report on cases that are heard in public.

According to the Independent, this matter came before the County Registrar motions court on 20 May, hence how the media were able to report on the matter, such sittings are heard in public and any member of the public can attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

VinLieger wrote: »
    Indeed she maintained her average time going of the records people have found which after an "injury" and 3 weeks of not running she would have been unlikely able to do.

Bingo.
    And as most people who run know, there is very little chance she did zero training the 3 weeks before that 10K race.
    And that would mean she was out running possibly multiple times before the race in order to prep for it.
    Liar, liar, pants on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You are missing the point by a light year!!!

She is an adult, a public representative. The Comp culture is down to f**king adults not being responsible for their actions fuelled by a justice system that entertains this ****e!! She should have lead by example! She is a clown.

This one time I actually thank social media, if not for social media we would not have the details of this case, no awareness, nobody digging, we would not know that one of our public representatives was pulling "what looks like" a fast one.

If it takes Maria Bailey to be the example that stops any Public Rep stepping out of line, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"I’m not a legal person; I took legal advice on this… I was told I had a clear-cut case"

In the interview she was asked if Joespha Madigan gave her legal advice. She refused to answer this simple question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Am I the only one who visualises a certain image everytime they hear the phrase "something in each hand?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭golfball37

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that in the interview she said twice "You know me as a person of integrity Sean". I doubt Sean O'Rourke knows her at all, she was literally putting words in his mouth. Id say that weasel words technique is straight out of the Terry Prone playbook for radio interviews, you just say to the interviewer that they know you as an honest person, ergo you must be an honest person. When in fact the interviewer didnt make any pronouncement one way or the other.

Anyway Paddy Power odds on Maria Bailey being suspended from Fine Gael in 2019
    Yes 1/2
    No 6/4

He does know her- Sean's wife is on the staff of Charlie Flanagan. Small country full of vested interests. No wonder he didn't pursue the 60k question when she twice said she only wanted to recoup her medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Previous...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/elections2019-tds-swing-controversy-hurt-fg-at-polls-taoiseach-says-926807.html

She will probably find something to sue Fine Gael for. I would say they are terrified of her.

They will proceed based on legal advice no doubt!

To be fair, people are deliberately or unwittingly misquoting this point. Her full line is that 'it would have been for a judge to decide'. Would have been. She is not being illogical here, as people seem to be misunderstanding her to be, and pouncing on this seeming illogicality.

Nobody's misquoting her she refused to answer the question

SOR: Just clarify one thing, did you have something in each hand when this happened?

MB: That would have been a case for the judge to adjudicate on ...

SOR: What is your recollection?

MB: Sean, I am not opening a trial here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I imagine Varadkar is livid with her. She has brought ridicule on herself and FG. She moans about media crossing a humanity line vis a vis her claim. What about all those homeless who die on our streets Maria? As for this being leaked. If you hadn't sued there could be no leak. This woman is clearly not the brightest light in the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

You're replying to somebody there who's just looking for a reaction. Just wasting your time, stick him on ignore like half of the people on here have done.

One good thing might come of this, they might actually be finally forced to deal with the insurance industry and compo claims happening and forcing everyone's premiums up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭Odhinn

sabat wrote: »
    Am I the only one who visualises a certain image everytime they hear the phrase "something in each hand?"

Ye durty fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I hear she is now claiming for a car crash near RTE this morning:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

One good thing might come of this, they might actually be finally forced to deal with the insurance industry and compo claims happening and forcing everyone's premiums up.

Don't hold your breath.

• Advertisement

They are. People are raising a question of why she says that's for a judge to decide when she has also said she has dropped the case. See multiple earlier posts from others. Which would be a fair question if she said that. But as you correctly, she says would have been. Which while still evasive, is not an illogical answer.
    This is an example of, contrary to some suggestions, she is being very articulate, and exact with her choice of words. And she wins this exchange with SOR. Had he been better, he would have pressed with various tactics : you must remember as you had only had one drink, surely one of your friends remembers clearly even if you don't, is it in your affidavit, why are you refusing to answer a simple factual question, is it because you may yet take a legal action despite saying you have dropped it, etc. But he doesn't. He let's her off. Well played Maria on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement