Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wow this is car crash stuff, she was probably planning her summer in Disneyland with the pay out and now this looks like the end of her political career.

Family holiday, shopping trip to New York and then a nice night out at the Dean, got start "saving up" for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The mystery of what the other hand was doing continues...

With the other hand, she was trying to save a baby that someone had recklessly tossed into the air. Actually she's a hero... in her own head.

We need an independent judicial inquiry into the second hand. Only a judge can establish this.

She was holding onto the dog that Frances Fitzgerald rescued.

she didn't go on to clarify, exonerate, defend or apologise. She just went on for pity's sake and to admonish her "attackers", how dare they question her fraudulent claim and the stealthy manner in which she hoped it would succeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

jon1981 wrote: »
    This is it wrote: »
    She was so badly prepared for that interview.

That was her own doing, she thought answering nothing and portraying the strong female who is a working mother balancing a home with work would see her through.
    Well, she can't balance on a swing. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

PaulieC wrote: »
    she had to stay away from her house for three days last week and at the same time had to work from home for three days.

She knows a lot of the technical details of the case, but won't answer questions as she has no legal knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

rusty cole wrote:
    what's the story here folks, I'm delighted she was shown for the money hungry kit she is, but have the indo got an axe to grind on her or something??

Someone else posted here, that the firm representing her maybe the link. It was suggested the present culture minister objected to a development application from the same individuals that own the hotel in question.

seamus wrote: »
    Perjury itself is a separate offence. Someone asked above why the judge didn't send the case to the DPP, and that's because they can't.

A Garda has to investigate the allegation, compile documentary evidence and refer it to the DPP. The DPP then has to try and charge the person with perjury under old common law, because we don't have any explicit crime of perjury on the books.
    Perjury is a form of contempt, which is one of the few examples of a crime which a Court has jurisdiction to prosecute and try within its own inherent powers (contempt in the face of the Court)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Joegriffin2019

Shes in the playground now in Dun Laoighre ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You see thats why the taxpayer needed to spend €5m a year on Leos spin unit, if they had of been in operation then this would never have happened. Bring back the spinners for they will protect us from the likes of Maria Bailey!

To be fair, that's a good point. IF she couldn't handle a swing she wouldn't be able for the level of spin a cabinet role needs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd rather sit on my couch in my pyjamas then go out drinking...

well in that case miss bailey you've lost my vote!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

That was her own doing, she thought answering nothing and portraying the strong female who is a working mother balancing a home with work would see her through.

The thing is because her case was just wrong at every level, there was never a chance she would improve herself during any interview, this soon anyway. When you haven't a leg to stand on and everyone is onto you, there's no good way to put it across. If she had any brain in her head, she wouldn't have done the interview at all. Or maybe she could have said I made a serious error of judgement for which I apologise for. I have come to realise we can all be more part of the problem than we realise, something like that. The damage was done so not sure if anything would have saved her. But her performance on radio today was an exercise in her embarrassing herself royally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Being cynical I imagine some journalists will get extra scrutiny from the Gardai for leaking this story before the local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Now that she has pulled the claim I really hope that the hotel security video that I presume exists manages to make its way into the public.

Comedy gold for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Joegriffin2019

The interview on Sean O Rourke this morning, shes some neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I don't take much heed to these. It's open to anyones agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

We need more women in politics, they are more transparent and honest, the media and feminists say. #LOL

Indeed, this is what happens when candidates are chosen to fulfill quotas rather than being selected based on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Indeed, this is what happens when candidates are chosen to fulfill quotas rather than being selected based on quality.

Ah now... no need for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

The interview on Sean O Rourke this morning, shes some neck.

That was awful. She just didn't get it. It doesn't matter if you were hurt, it's why you blame the hotel that people want to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's nepotism really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

55 seconds slower than the previous year apparently

Delighted she has been caught out, she deserves absolutely everything thrown at her. She's the one in the wrong, she's the one who has tried to sue because of pure greed.

What a cúnt
    haven't you been listening to her...the media are wrong for hounding and to hell with those bastard keyboard warriors those guys are also wrong and the real problem here ;-)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The stress of this will send Leo's metabolic age shooting up again! Did they ever do the retest?

Her going on the radio to explain herself is a classic case of what not to do in a situation like this. It just adds fuel to the fire. She should have lied low for at least a week and let the whole thing blow over. Next week the media will have moved on to savage someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

PIORUN wrote: »
    haven't you been listening to her...the media are wrong for hounding and to hell with those bastard keyboard warriors those guys are also wrong and the real problem here ;-)

:pac:

Balanadan wrote: »
    I was down in Garryvoe at the weekend and I was HORRIFIED that there were young children using swings UNSUPERVISED!

They are suitable for children just not for fully grown sober morons, it seems! There is clearly no basic iq test for a politician or perhaps a bye for second gen politicians. Ah sure, I guess she wasn’t found accepting donations from developers she claimed to have lodged planning objections against, unlike other Baileys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

titan18 wrote: »
    seamus wrote: »
    I think the impact of this case shouldn't be understated. Yeah, it's a little bit of a joke and a laugh, stupid woman suing because she doesn't know how to use a swing.

But with the information over the weekend that indicated she was very clearly trying on some insurance fraud, and now she's switched to playing the victim, people are generally livid about this. And what Leo does next is going to be seen as Fine Gael's opinion on the matter - if they do nothing, then FG have no problem with insurance fraud. Opinion polls will start going down the swanny, FF will start eying up an election.
    If they let her go, then they're making a statement that the sh1tehawkery of the past won't be tolerated any more.

Enda was a grand man for turning a blind eye to this kind of stuff. But Leo "welfare cheats" Varadkar has made anti-fraud and anti-corruption a strong part of their message, and if they don't stick to it they're going to get hammered.

I personally think he's even let it go too soft by saying that he "wants to hear her side" before making a decision. It sounds like he's being reasonable, but at this stage she's already toast. Her side of the story is irrelevant; even if she's been completely wronged on this one and the media have been unfair to her, FG have to let her go. Something less conciliatory like, "The party leadership will meet to discuss the issue" would have sounded better. At the moment he sounds like he wants to give her a chance to stay.

I'd agree. Voted FG last two GEs, but they won't have my vote with this if they allow it to slide. I can excuse some of the other ****e like children's hospital and broadband plan as there's no other good options, but this would be a new low, even for them.

Seriously, how can you excuse the children's hospital overspend? It's just plain incompetence from FG.

Am I alone in thinking Bailey has a point? I listened to her interview.

Why not let the judge decide?

At least that way the hotel might have recovered the legal costs she has forced it to incur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you excuse the children's hospital overspend? It's just plain incompetence from FG.

No, it's incompetence from the construction industry, architects, engineers, project managers,plumbers, planners, decorators, lawyers, the HSE, doctors, elecricians, quantity surveyors. If they all did their job honestly, professionally, efficiently, and with moral backbone, the costs would not be the runaway embarrassment of Ireland that they are.
    Nothing to do with a political party. Does anyone (other than blind fan boys of whatever party) seriously believe that the costs would be any different whatever party we're in govt.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Oh it is. It's just I'd expect nothing different from any other party there. It's incompetent and wouldn't surprise me if someone was making money off it, but I doubt Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein, Labour etc would be any different in regards it. It's just someone different making money off it.

And this is what make my blood boil. It's claims like this that end up impacting us all, if she was awarded the 60k , the Dean will likely remove the seats.

Basically these claims, facilitated by the courts, end up hitting us all whether it's financial cost through increased premiums or just spoiling the god damn fun!

All because a fecking adult can't be responsible!

They are now protected structures and perhaps should be upgraded to national monuments. It’s the ephemera such as this which makes politics worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Did anyone else catch how she enunciated the words "polished wood" when describing the swing's seat? As if that was reason she slid off the swing.

Jebus, she was really grasping at straws to blame everything and everyone except herself.
    I better dump anything in the house that is polished wood.
    Dangerous stuff ..... polished wood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement