Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Peatys wrote: »
    Because her own antisocial media posts contradicted her affidavit.

But as she said, they were provisional and to be amended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

as if sitting on grass is no big deal with a back injury

Where did her expenses come from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Probably because of journos and media attacking her?

This thread was started before she pulled the claim.

Yes, this thread was started when people realised she was talking BS...then she realised people were starting to talk and then pulled the claim. If she believed in her story should would not have pulled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    "I'm a strong female politician and some people don’t like that"

The sexism card. Truly the last act of the scoundrel.

It's beautiful in a way, it's literally play by play on how you normally weasel your way out of something like this. Only problem is she forgot to wait until the heat died down and the electorate weren't overly pissed.

Had she had better timing this might have worked and she would have people defending her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Balanadan wrote: »
    I was down in Garryvoe at the weekend and I was HORRIFIED that there were young children using swings UNSUPERVISED!
    Their parents have a clear cut case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

But as she said, they were provisional and to be amended.

Once they were amended, and the truth came out, her legal advice was to drop the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She's already being lambasted in the media for submitting the claim in the first place.
    If she thought she was going to win, she wouldn't have pulled it, and she'd have thrown a victory back in the face of the media as an exoneration.
    Now she's in a lose-lose situation as she's lost in the court in the public opinion and she doesn't get her actual court pay out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

which has been shown to be 100% correct... she was called out and shown to be lying...

well done to the journalists on this

This thread was started before she pulled the claim.

at least some people saw it for what it was.... a money grab from a self obsessed woman through a fradulent claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I listened to Sean o Rourke interview.

My God she has some neck. She has been exposed as a lier and dropped her case. She exaggerated her injury. She lied in her pleadings and swore an affidavit of verification that the contents are true and accurate.

Leo should **** her out of the FG party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

cmac2009 wrote: »
    As she said, not everything is covered by private medical insurance, she just wanted her 60k excess covered. Which is reasonably fair given the seriousness of the injury and no-fault nature of the incident.

Exactly! Plus it'll cost her at least €60K to repair the damage to both of her feet. And I'm not certain that private health insurance covers someone who deliberately shoots their own feet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

so she had a bottle of beer in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other and she was reaching for her friend and something about mobile phone. you don't have to be a judge to figure it out.

So how did she fall off on her back if she was reaching for her friend, surely if her friend was rooting in her bag for her phone, then Bailey would have fell forwards and at worst landed on her knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

McCrack wrote: »
    I listened to Sean o Rourke interview.

Heard it too. Car crash for her. It's the story that keeps giving. What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yurt! wrote: »
    That's when you know a snakey female politician has been utterly wrecked and completely boxed into a corner by their own hand, the 'strong female' defense comes out.

Not strong enough to hold onto a swing though (apparently)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Their parents have a clear cut case.

Or is it the parents that could be sued for neglect pure and simple. I mean imagine letting children play on a swing when adults have been known to not be able to get the swing of them. Dreadful parenting.

New FG policy from Maria Bailey, Chair of the Oireachtas Committee for Local Government... all swings to be removed from playgrounds across the country due to clear and imminent threat they present.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wow this is car crash stuff, she was probably planning her summer in Disneyland with the pay out and now this looks like the end of her political career.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Floppybits wrote: »
    So how did she fall off on her back if she was reaching for her friend, surely if her friend was rooting in her bag for her phone, then Bailey would have fell forwards and at worst landed on her knees?

have you ever seen a drunk person balancing on a swing?

Grayson wrote: »

But she said that she wasn't drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Good stuff that interview, made me laugh out loud a good few times.

She's entitled as fook and it's everybody else's fault apart from her own. I've had a few run ins with folk like this and blow for blow it's the same old tired excuses and then near the end, when all else has failed, ya play the sexism card and the full time mammy bull**** to curry favor with the one last demographic that might have a bit of sympathy for you.

Total clown who has got what she deserves; if you're going out getting locked for the night you best mind yourself like a proper grown adult.

• Advertisement

as if sitting on grass is no big deal with a back injury

Thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

That interview will haunt her more than raising the actual claim.

Had she gone to ground it might have blown over when the next scandal or political event came along.

Grayson wrote: »

But she said that she wasn't drunk?
    She also said she was unable to run for 3 months, despite doing a 10k 3 weeks later.

She also said she was unable to run for 3 months, despite doing a 10k 3 weeks later.

I can only take her word for it, she said she is honest as the day is long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

good job her neck is made of brass or she would have injured that too

If anyone's at a count centre in the vicinity of anyone from FG, please set "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" as their ringtone...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

McCrack wrote: »
    Leo should **** her out of the FG party.
    I think the impact of this case shouldn't be understated. Yeah, it's a little bit of a joke and a laugh, stupid woman suing because she doesn't know how to use a swing.

But with the information over the weekend that indicated she was very clearly trying on some insurance fraud, and now she's switched to playing the victim, people are generally livid about this. And what Leo does next is going to be seen as Fine Gael's opinion on the matter - if they do nothing, then FG have no problem with insurance fraud. Opinion polls will start going down the swanny, FF will start eying up an election.
    If they let her go, then they're making a statement that the sh1tehawkery of the past won't be tolerated any more.

Enda was a grand man for turning a blind eye to this kind of stuff. But Leo "welfare cheats" Varadkar has made anti-fraud and anti-corruption a strong part of their message, and if they don't stick to it they're going to get hammered.

I personally think he's even let it go too soft by saying that he "wants to hear her side" before making a decision. It sounds like he's being reasonable, but at this stage she's already toast. Her side of the story is irrelevant; even if she's been completely wronged on this one and the media have been unfair to her, FG have to let her go. Something less conciliatory like, "The party leadership will meet to discuss the issue" would have sounded better. At the moment he sounds like he wants to give her a chance to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

The way I picture it is that she was perched on the front of the swing seat (which she stated was polished wood) leaned forward to give something to her pal and the seat slipped backwards from underneath her and deposited her shapely (?) butt on the ground with a resounding thump.

But why she needed to get bandages from hotel staff for scrapes and cuts baffles me - although perhaps it's a thong related matter! :p

I understand that at the instant that she fell off the swing, minor earth tremors were recorded by seismological stations across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

She swore an affidavit under oath to support her claim.
    An affidavit is a legally binding document.
    She lied under oath.
    This is an offence.
    The defendant should be awarded their costs.
    Then the Judge should refer the case to the DPP.
    She should be charged with perjury.
    But of course, she is above the law....so nothing will happen

• Advertisement

"Barely able to stand" was another one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement