Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Higher court, higher compensation.

Madigan said she had a clear cut case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

IvoryTower wrote: »
    It wasn't fg apparently, they'll be raging

They can't get rid of her at the moment anyway

Yeah Regina Doherty was trying to be fair to her this morning but when she was talking I got the vibe of "you fecking eijit maria" from Regina Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm presuming that was based on what Maria Bailey told her which then had to amended it seems. I'd say there will be some tension between the minister and deputy Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

lbc2019 wrote: »

Exactly, pity SOR didn't ask her if the case was that she was only seeking medical expenses from the hotel, why didn't her solicitors issue proceedings through the District Court - unless we are missing something obvious - otherwise it's blatantly obvious that she was seeking general damages in excess of €15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

at least we can see the type of person Joesepha Madigan is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lbc2019 wrote: »

Well a solicitor would have had to advised on that.

As clients wouldn't know that sort of information.

Who's the solicitor in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I assume the Hotel was disputing either the cost or the necessity of those medical expenses?

She may have tied herself up in knots in that interview, but ultimately she was right, it was nobody's business except her, the Hotel and the court.

When there's a national issue regarding bogus claims hiking insurance premiums across the board its everybody's business that a Government TD is complicit in the problem

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I won't be going to her for legal advice any time soon. It was obvious she had no case from day one.

Some legal firms in this country are a lot to blame for the compo culture. It just so happens there is a cosy relationship between many legal firms and political parties, ie they are one and the same.

Laws made in the Dail affect the ability of legal firms to make money or pursue cases hence their motive for getting at least one family member into the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the legal profession is a blight on society. parasitic. fundamentally dishonest.

listermint wrote: »

Shes using Josephas Madigans family firm, Josepha was involved in obstructing planning permission for an apartment development that was sought by the owners of the Dean so there's suspicion they leaked it to the media to retaliate knowing full well how bad it would look due to the insurance hikes cus of bogus claims and that Maria's claim would never stand up to public scrutiny.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I get migraine. Who can I blame?! Seriously, she got a payout for migraine? I'm missing a trick here obviously. I always thought I was unlucky to have migraine but apparently it could be someone's fault and I could make them give me money.

Jeez, I had a stress-related heart attack in the midst of bullying by the boss (who finally left after causing umpteen troubles for management) and had to retire early from job on medical advice.... I must have a case for millions going by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What an incredibly inarticulate speaker she is!

Don't think that's really true. I thought she was quite articulate in what she wanted to say. She was on a sticky wicket though, and the public mood already against her, so every imperfect phrase or word is being picked on like vultures on the last of a carcass. But the truth is, she spoke well. It's what she was trying to say that was weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

VinLieger wrote: »
    Shes using Josephas Madigans family firm, Josepha was involved in obstructing planning permission for an apartment development that was sought by the owners of the Dean so there's suspicion they leaked it to the media to retaliate knowing full well how bad it would look due to the insurance hikes cus of bogus claims and that Maria's claim would never stand up to public scrutiny.

Ah yeah I was being rethorical though :P

Previous...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/elections2019-tds-swing-controversy-hurt-fg-at-polls-taoiseach-says-926807.html

She will probably find something to sue Fine Gael for. I would say they are terrified of her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Don't think that's really true. I thought she was quite articulate in what she wanted to say. She was on a sticky wicket though, and the public mood already against her, so every imperfect phrase or word is being picked on like vultures on the last of a carcass. But the truth is, she spoke well. It's what she was trying to say that was weak.

:D:p

Spoofer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It would be nice if those who make false claims were made to pay the normally awarded amount, for the injury they claimed, to the establishment they were suing. Even allowing for insurance it is stressful for a business to be facing fraudulent insurance claims. Her claim was nonsense and indicative of a compensation culture which is now sadly rife here. She's a c**t of the highest order and if I saw her I would say as much. These people need to be ostracised socially. Varadkar should have her resign her Dail seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Any client with a half a brain and an education should. It's basic stuff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Jeez, I had a stress-related heart attack in the midst of bullying by the boss (who finally left after causing umpteen troubles for management) and had to retire early from job on medical advice.... I must have a case for millions going by that.

Definitely.
    And not to minimise your case, but I got a bit stressed reading your story.
    Can I be included as a party to the claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/elections2019-tds-swing-controversy-hurt-fg-at-polls-taoiseach-says-926807.html

"The TD has also not publicly responded to further media queries about a personal injuries action filed in the name of Maria Bailey against Aer Lingus, her former employer, in 2004. She began working with the airline in 2000 with the ground staff and later went on to be a politician." - Irish Examiner.

It seems the rabbit hole runs deeper and this woman might have a history of making claims... Would love to know more about this part of the story.

If true, resigning from FG isn't enough, this woman needs to see the inside of a cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Some one needs to do a mashup of that interview. It's a classic in absolute bull and a great example of car crash interviews.

i take my hat off to that woman for her absolute lack of self awareness verging on sociopathy.

• Advertisement

No doubt the hotel “settled” for a trivial sum like €20K-€30K, these things rarely get to the scrutiny of a judge in the courtroom to minimise defendant’s legal expenses. There is a huge gamble on what way the judge will lean in view of the evidence and proportionality of culpabilities. In theory the hotel could counter-sue for damages to their furnishings & reputation etc, but it is highly unlikely they would resort to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Shes the one who dropped the case, so its her fault for not letting the judge decide, nobody made her take the case, nobody made her lie about every aspect of the case and nobody made her drop the case.

In none of this is she in any way a victim, everything she has done and the repercussions that resulted have been entirely of her own making.

I think she dropped the case because of the media backlash and the constant attention they were giving her.

Look at this thread, look at the first page, people making judgements right away without any facts or letting the judge decide.

The judge might have thrown it out of court in which case you could jump on her case then. Or the judge might have awarded something in which case you could complain about the justice system.

A lesson can be learned to not have trial by social media.

I mean, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the hotel was liable...maybe the floor was slippy or who knows what was there. But of course everyone jumped in right away, just looking at a headline and claimed she was trying to con money out of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭dasdog

Some one needs to do a mashup of that interview.

https://twitter.com/RichieMcCormack/status/1133023449302142976

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the legal profession is a blight on society. parasitic. fundamentally dishonest.
    True. The justice system exists primarily to provide a good living for the legal profession. That's why it costs so much money for a citizen to get any kind of justice. And the more money you have, the more justice you can buy.

Speaking of which, anyone know how much the hotel has shelled out so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Josepha Madigans husband afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Spoofer!

T.R.O.L. or Maria?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Josepha Madigan needs to be hauled in over it too.

The fcuking shady sneaky world these treacherous leeches exist in needs to be exposed for all to see.

Just do a hard weeks work like the rest of us plebs have to do.

Just listened to the full interview on SOR. Iirc, she said she was visiting Sandyford when she and two friends decided to hop on the Luas and go into the Dean hotel. Would one of the friends have been Josepha, I wonder? She was still in the Madigan firm at the time....Maria Bailey refusing to say if she was advised by her.

On another note, this does seem very targeted. Would really love to know who released the info to the press. It has dirty tricks written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think she dropped the case because of the media backlash and the constant attention they were giving her.

Look at this thread, look at the first page, people making judgements right away without any facts or letting the judge decide.

The judge might have thrown it out of court in which case you could jump on her case then. Or the judge might have awarded something in which case you could complain about the justice system.

I mean, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the hotel was liable...maybe the floor was slippy or who knows what was there. But of course everyone jumped in right away, just looking at a headline and claimed she was trying to con money out of the hotel.

Hey, the other trol was here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

:D:p

Spoofer!
    Not at all. I think many comments here are prejudiced and, not having answered many questions to their satisfaction, want to find fault with all aspects of her interview.
    In fact, if her aim was to deflect, avoid answering specific points, and distract with issues like right to privacy, media hounding, etc, she did it pretty well. A typical frustrating 'politicians' answers if you will. But quite skilfully, robustly, and yes, articulately, done.
    If anything, I think the weakness was with ORourke, who I guess must indeed know her - he did not press her several times when she was there to be skewered, and a more Paxman type tenacity, would not have let her off with some of the evasive 'answers'.

• Advertisement

We know the facts, she lied multiple times, even if the judge ruled in her favour that wouldn't make what she did right in the eyes of the public, the justice system would be at fault but so would she.

Again nobody made her drop the case if things got to hot for her thats her problem and nobody elses, she probably should have had second thoughts on becoming a TD whether this would be a good idea to continue on with especially in light of all the recent media coverage the insurance hikes due to dodgy claims has been getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement