Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Just listened to the interview. Shooting yourself in the foot is bad enough without it being in your mouth at the time. What was she thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Am I alone in thinking Bailey has a point? I listened to her interview.

Why not let the judge decide?

Shes the one who dropped the case, so its her fault for not letting the judge decide, nobody made her take the case, nobody made her lie about every aspect of the case and nobody made her drop the case.

In none of this is she in any way a victim, everything she has done and the repercussions that resulted have been entirely of her own making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Muahahaha wrote: »

Lets hope the media now get to the bottom of her 2004 claim against her employer Aer Lingus. Apparantly that time the anti-social hours that she knew in advance she would have to work about and that she signed up to gave her migraines. But instead of finding a 9-5 job like anyone else would she sues them and the rumour is now that she got an out of court settlement of €160,000.

Aer Lingus was a loss making semi state at the time so thats literally taxpayers money lining Marias pockets.

Thanks for that detail. I had read the reference to "a Maria Bailey" suing Aer Lingus back in 2004, but had no idea of the details or of the figures involved.
    Of course that was back in the days of Bertie economics when taxpayers' funds were being thrown in all directions.

Hopefully someone in Aer Lingus will spill the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Someone else posted here, that the firm representing her maybe the link. It was suggested the present culture minister objected to a development application from the same individuals that own the hotel in question.
    They own most of the licences premises and restaurants which have opened over the past 5 years (Press Up group) so hardly surprising that there would be objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did anyone notice that in the interview she said twice "You know me as a person of integrity Sean". I doubt Sean O'Rourke knows her at all, she was literally putting words in his mouth. Id say that weasel words technique is straight out of the Terry Prone playbook for radio interviews, you just say to the interviewer that they know you as an honest person, ergo you must be an honest person. When in fact the interviewer didnt make any pronouncement one way or the other.

Anyway Paddy Power odds on Maria Bailey being suspended from Fine Gael in 2019
    Yes 1/2
    No 6/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

No, it's incompetence from the construction industry, architects, engineers, project managers,plumbers, planners, decorators, lawyers, the HSE, doctors, elecricians, quantity surveyors. If they all did their job honestly, professionally, efficiently, and with moral backbone, the costs would not be the runaway embarrassment of Ireland that they are.
    Nothing to do with a political party. Does anyone (other than blind fan boys of whatever party) seriously believe that the costs would be any different whatever party we're in govt.?

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Indeed, this is what happens when candidates are chosen to fulfill quotas rather than being selected based on quality.

Ah that’s not fair. She was not chosen for being a woman. She was chosen because her dad is a long standing FG councillor. It’s not pro-female bias, it’s simple nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you excuse the children's hospital overspend? It's just plain incompetence from FG.
    As said already, there is no other person or party in the country that can deliver the hospital any cheaper. Maybe someone else would have notified the government a bit earlier, but nobody was getting it cheaper. This project is 30 years in the making, it didn't start when FG got into government.

Am I alone in thinking Bailey has a point?

What point?

The hotel had offered to pay her medical expenses, so liability wasn't an issue.

She has stated that she wasn't seeking compo, so, if we take her at her word, the court case can only have been about how much those 'medical expenses' amounted to. And, given that most medical practitioners give receipts, it is baffling that she needed to go to court to get her medical bills paid.

[the question of potentially claiming medical expenses on the double (assuming that she had private health insurance) might have come into play if she had let the case run its course.]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

seamus wrote: »
    As said already, there is no other person or party in the country that can deliver the hospital any cheaper. Maybe someone else would have notified the government a bit earlier, but nobody was getting it cheaper. This project is 30 years in the making, it didn't start when FG got into government.

I wouldn't be sure other people couldn't do it. Someone probably can. They just definitely don't work in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

imho she should be suspended from the chair of the various committees she is listed as chairing.
    The interview with SO'R was reeking of arrogance
    A toddler of one year knows how to hold onto the ropes on a swing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doubledeutsch

What point?

The hotel had offered to pay her medical expenses, so liability wasn't an issue.

She has stated that she wasn't seeking compo, so, if we take her at her word, the court case can only have been about how much those 'medical expenses' amounted to. And, given that most medical practitioners give receipts, it is baffling that she needed to go to court to get her medical bills paid.

[the question of potentially claiming medical expenses on the double (assuming that she had private health insurance) might have come into play if she had let the case run its course.]

I assume the Hotel was disputing either the cost or the necessity of those medical expenses?

She may have tied herself up in knots in that interview, but ultimately she was right, it was nobody's business except her, the Hotel and the court.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you excuse the children's hospital overspend? It's just plain incompetence from FG.

It's not an overspend. It's an underestimate!

But yes, it's pure incompetence on a massive scale from the Board that the Government had set up to implement the project. Small wonder that the Chairman of the board resigned.

But you'd want to be a complete idiot (or a supporter of the loonie left) to think that FG wanted the hospital to cost the taxpayer more than twice as much as they were told it would cost. Where's the political gain for them in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kivaro wrote: »
    she was really grasping at straws

Ah ha, that's why she fell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The interview on Sean O Rourke this morning, shes some neck.

I assume the Hotel was disputing either the cost or the necessity of those medical expenses?

She may have tied herself up in knots in that interview, but ultimately she was right, it was nobody's business except her, the Hotel and the court.

Yep - makes you wonder why a bona fide litigant like poor Maria decided to drop the case!

As my old grandfather used always tell me, "(s)he who comes into equity must come with clean hands."

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doubledeutsch

Yep - makes you wonder why a bona fide litigant like poor Maria decided to drop the case!

As my old grandfather used always tell me, "(s)he who comes into equity must come with clean hands."

Agreed - it's a wonder - I find it hard to believe she was doing it all for the sake of collecting a grand or two either though. But maybe. Completely foolish if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I assume the Hotel was disputing either the cost or the necessity of those medical expenses? She may have tied herself up in knots in that interview, but ultimately she was right, it was nobody's business except her, the Hotel and the court.

What happens in court is everybody's business. Especially perjury.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Muahahaha wrote: »

Lets hope the media now get to the bottom of her 2004 claim against her employer Aer Lingus. Apparantly that time the anti-social hours that she knew in advance she would have to work about and that she signed up to gave her migraines. But instead of finding a 9-5 job like anyone else would she sues them and the rumour is now that she got an out of court settlement of €160,000.
    I get migraine. Who can I blame?! Seriously, she got a payout for migraine? I'm missing a trick here obviously. I always thought I was unlucky to have migraine but apparently it could be someone's fault and I could make them give me money.

"I've learned so much this week about social media" yeah you need to give it a wider berth.

"and about mental health" why not play the race card while you're chomping bits out of that old chestnut!!

"I'm a strong independent woman" not strong enough evidently to support your own weight on a swing love!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Being cynical I imagine some journalists will get extra scrutiny from the Gardai for leaking this story before the local elections.
    It might make them lose the yellow streak they have when it comes to investigating most politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

cant imagine other women in politics will be impressed that she went straight for the gender card having been caught out in her scam?

whoever advised her to go on Rte did not have her best interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Was gonna look into her claims about her 10k time but someone bet me too it

https://www.balls.ie/athletics/maria-bailey-laments-poor-10km-time-411273

Had a look at her times over longer distances and nothing would indicate she has ever been in shape to go quicker than 52/53 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

whoever advised her to go on Rte did not have her best interests at heart.

It wasn't fg apparently, they'll be raging

They can't get rid of her at the moment anyway

What an incredibly inarticulate speaker she is! That interview hurt my ears , awful stuff . She needs to go .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lbc2019 wrote:
    Why the higher court??

Higher court, higher compensation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement