Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Where do you think it's going? Why do you have an issue with it?

To a rescue mission, as stated on the GoFundMe page.
    No mention of the family in it.
    He knew the risks, he became another statistic, he did not NEED to climb Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Here.

But it doesn't say that on the GFM page. And that's what the problem is.
    Do you understand now?

Why be nasty for the sake of it? What joy comes from that?

You quoted statements of facts here, nothing nasty in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The roaring and shouting going on in here is something else.
    If it was in a pub there'd be a fist fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You begrudge them any financial support. Your post was clear. Don't try to backtrack.

You really do have a strange understanding of English.

Allow me to be explicit.
    In my opinion the fundraiser as it stands is a lie.
    There will be no rescue without putting more people in harm's way.

The fundraiser isn't to provide for Mr Lawless' family.
    If no recovery is possible, every donor should at the very least be contacted and asked if they wish their donation to be forwarded to his family.

It should not be assumed that as the money is already given its free to disburse as pleased.
    Money donated for one purpose should not be used for another without explicit consent.

• Advertisement

Am, not being homeless is some comfort.

Don't want to donate? Then don't, leave it to people who want to support this family. No issue.

You are actually so stupid. Read my post please.

I said I would donate to the family, but not to a rescue mission.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not really sure what difference this makes... a married guy with a young daughter and another child on the way decides to take a huge risk, a completely uninsurable one at that, and decides to attempt to climb Everest.

Most people would view that as being very selfish. Doesn't really matter what he said to convince the missus.

It really only matters about how him and his family viewed it and not for us to speculate. We have no idea what level of input the wife had, for or against.

From the outside looking in, yes, I can see the selfish aspect, but without the inner knowings of the couple, we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

This thread is going around in circles. Time to close it down
    redmgar wrote: »
    And very possibly slanderous posts about the creator of the campaign. Hopefully screenshots were made of these.
    Close it down.
    Crazy talk on thread and should be moderated

I can't remember the last thread on AH where there was such a clamour to have the discussion stopped.

Just standing up to the nasty people who like to put the boot in. That's not losing the head. You need to take a close look in the mirror at yourself.

I'm not the one who inferred a widower with a child who posted on this thread was jealous of the Lawless family, simply because he questioned the clarity of the GFM page.
    That was below the belt and nasty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Taking joy in having a dig at a dead man is pretty nasty.
    Calling a missing man a dead man repeatedly is pretty nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

B0jangles wrote: »
    Guys, check the post history - this poster is clearly trying to wind everyone up, and with the express intent of getting the thread shut down.

Do not fall for it.

Worth quoting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Farawayhome can I ask do you know the family or people involved in the GFM page?

So? Why deprive his family?

What exactly am I depriving them of?

Do you have an issue with the money going to the family if not on a recovery mission?

Are incapable of reading what you quoted?

It's laid out there in very plain English.

I hope you are not reflective of TCD alumni in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Calling a missing man a dead man repeatedly is pretty nasty.

Seriously, he's hardly Schrödinger's climber at this stage... no one is going to survive up there this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

[PHP][/PHP]
    Jeff2 wrote: »
    Here.

You have quoted an anonymous one post wonder on the internet. Thats not an official source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Can you remember a thread where so many posters were taking delight in another families misfortune?

Who has taken delight in the family's misfortune? :confused:

Seriously, he's hardly Schrödinger's climber at this stage... no one is going to survive up there this long.
    I'm aware of the chances of survival this long out and with the weather up there.
    But until confirmed, he should be reported as missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

josip wrote: »
    I can't remember the last thread on AH where there was such a clamour to have the discussion stopped.
    Don't care if it's stopped, some people need an outlet.

They were shouting about where there money was. They posted it. You agree with them in not wanting this family to receive the financial support. Shame on you.

You appear to have selective reading comprehension.
    Shame on you for deliberately misrepresenting posts made in good faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Can you remember a thread where so many posters were taking delight in another families misfortune?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110200935&postcount=2333

You were taking delight in calling serving soldiers state terrorists here. How do you think the families of those men felt?

To be honest, this thread has descended into a total trainwreck.

We all know he's dead. This is why the digs are so horrible.

We know the chance of survival in the circumstances are not great.
    Repeatedly calling him dead may be more harmful to the family if they are reading.

Here we go. You really have not painted yourself in a good light on this thread.

Here we go...
    Where?

Stand over your posts. Don't cowardly attempt to weasel your way out of it. You should be embarrassed.

3/10, try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

They were state terrorists.

Close this thread, I agree.

I think you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

The posters having a dig.

Something you seem to be blatantly ignoring is those of us looking for clarity on the gofundme page and where it states the money will be going to his family after the recovery mission?
    I have looked at the page a few times and cannot seem to find it.

Before you go off on some rant about how i am slandering the mans family. I wish no ill will of him or his family i would just like to know where the money is going to if i did donate? Will it be returned to me if the recovery doesnt go ahead?

Is it not ok to question these things. Surely you cant be ok with that?

At least you came out and asked instead of a few others sneakily suggesting it. I have no involvement at all. I'm just standing up for a poor, unfortunate family while faceless keyboard warriors have a go at them. One day they could read this, shame on the people taking delight in this.

youre a month old account engaged in very typical eh lets call it disruptive internet behaviour

and unless thats your real name......

You were taking delight in calling serving soldiers state terrorists here. How do you think the families of those men felt?

I'd be surprised if Farawayhome replied to this:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Farawayhome, do not post in this thread again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's just a way to get it shut down those sort use

Anyway stuff more back on the track :

Saying :
    The insurance company are not paying out currently because Shay did not take out search and rescue

would be a bit more honest than saying
    The insurance company that had provided a policy for Séamus (Shay) are currently not providing assistance with the search and rescue

Advertisement