Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Most typed letters on wifi in Trinity College right now: Close this.

Followed closely by: Shut it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

It's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush here and call for the thread to be closed down. I feel awful for the man and his family. This is probably the worst thing that will ever happen to them.

But this is a discussion forum and there is a public fund going asking for a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No, posters here are being nasty and vindictive. Why should these people be given free reign to do that, they wouldn't like it done to them.

You are the one being nasty. Its a public fundraiser that has accrued over a quarter of a million euro.
    If people are concerned with the legitimacy of the purpose the money was collected for, they have every right to voice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have as much right as anyone else to voice my opinion. This should be shut down because the people having a go are revelling in it.

I think you'll find that far from revelling it.
    People are against having their opinions on newsworthy events dictated to them.

Stop being so selfish, there's a young kid and another on the way here. Why deprive them?

Why not share the money equally between all other families with young children suddenly bereaved over the past year in Ireland?

Why should one family get it all?

The money was for a rescue operation, if there are funds left over from the recovery effort divvy them out to all bereaved families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Stop being so selfish, there's a young kid and another on the way here. Why deprive them?

Exactly, why are they deprived? Because of someone who was able to care for them and be there for them taking a trip (not for charity) to a place called the deathzone where there is a one in 27 death rate. What was the reason for this, perhaps the family can explain?

What I can tell you is that the risks are known, and would have been known to him. If my Dad decided to climb Everest I would be extremely upset and would make sure I said my goodbyes prior to him leaving as there is a decent chance he isn't coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

For anyone looking to further their knowledge of the dangers of modern-day commercial expeditions to Everest, I recommend this book

The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest by Anatoli Boukreev and G. Weston DeWalt

https://www.amazon.com/Climb-Tragic-Ambitions-Everest/dp/0312206372

Not your ornery onager

We're getting to the crux of the issue. Begrudgery of a grieving family.

I note how you selectively quoted there, and left out rest of @banie01's post.

How very compassionate and sympathetic of you. It speaks volumes about what kind of person you are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You feel good about yourself now? A nice little dig at a dead man.

Is he confirmed dead?

We've already figured out that the money is for a recovery mission and if not it goes to the family. You don't want either of these to happen. That's pretty horrible.

We don't know the money will go to his family. Where was that announced?

• Advertisement

We've already figured out that the money is for a recovery mission and if not it goes to the family. You don't want either of these to happen. That's pretty horrible.

What's pretty horrible is accusing a widower with a young child of being JEALOUS of the Lawless family, simply for questioning the clarity of the Go Fund Me.
    Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I must have missed where it says that on the GoFundMe page?!

I have as much right as anyone else to voice my opinion. This should be shut down because the people having a go are revelling in it.

not fifty times you don't

and that is not a reason for a shutdown

Why are you ignoring the digs at a dead man?

People are bang on calling this guy out on his behaviour. Leaving a young family to go on a 1 in 27 chance of death adventure.

We're getting to the crux of the issue. Begrudgery of a grieving family.

Is that the best you can do?

Really.
    My point was surely in the circumstances of a tragic death that anybody left bereaved should ask for money for a rescue ..
    But use it for something else, is morally ok?

Or as its known legally theft by deception.

If there is a fundraiser for the family I'd be perfectly happy to see it and wish it every success.

However currently there isn't
    There is a fundraiser requesting money to put more people in harm's way.

That's the crux of the matter ;)

As for begrudgery, nope.
    Do you know why.
    Because my wife and I made adequate provision for each other on the event of an untimely death.
    Like responsible parents and adults.

But since it seems like it's ok in your opinion to just hand the money raised for rescue over for any purpose...
    Surely it's ok for everyone who has been bereaved to get this free money?

Please can you link to where it states the part about it going to the family on the GoFundMe page in question?

If not, then please refrain from quoting that as a 'matter of fact'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jasper100 wrote: »
    People are bang on calling this guy out on his behaviour. Leaving a young family to go on a 1 in 27 chance of death adventure.

you've no idea, like me, what conversations took place between him and his family before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I will not be told what to think . I think that a man who has a pregnant wife and small child and risks his life for his own thrills is selfish .
    My heart goes out to his family who have to live with the loss and the pain .
    My heart goes out to any family who loose a parent and have to carry on .
    But I see no reason why I would fund a reckless recovery of a body . Others are welcome to if they wish

You feel good about yourself now? A nice little dig at a dead man.

Dig?
    What dig?
    If I'm wrong and he did make adequate provision without needing to resort to the charity of strangers I'll happily retract and apologize.

We've discoved that we have begrudgers on this thread. Giving some digs and hoping the family don't receive any financial support. Why should this thread be allowed continue?

You have a very selective of the English language...

• Advertisement

Why are you ignoring the digs at a dead man?

How is saying that Mr Lawless is responsible for the fact that his wife is left without a husband and his children without a father a dig?
    Its a fact.
    He voluntarily went up that mountain. He knew the risks. What happened is awful but no one is responsible for the fact that they are left alone in this world but him.

No, that's why the page still states it's a rescue mission!
    Why do you keep saying he is dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

A load of people were having a go at Shay for being selfish and leaving his family to suffer, the same people don't want any financial support to go to this same family.

Exactly.
    "How dare he leave the child and home with no financial support"....
    "How dare they provide financial assistance to the child"

And I know people are going to say the GoFundMe was setup with the objective of rescue / recovery, but even if that didn't proceed would you complain about a campaign (that you did not donate to) benefiting a four year old?

So hopefully this money will come to some comfort to them.

Money shouldn't provide comfort, you seem very shallow.

What may provide some level of stability is ensuring the kids are not left homeless, which their father did not do due to his decision.

If there is a GoFundMe page for that, I would actually consider donating.
    I would not however donate to the existing page to fund a rescue mission as it is extremely dangerous and there's a very good chance it would leave other families without loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Guys, check the post history - this poster is clearly trying to wind everyone up, and with the express intent of getting the thread shut down.

Do not fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

SusieBlue wrote: »

: gctest50
    Why are the insurance not currently paying out ?

Did the insurance company say they would pay out at some stage in the future ?

AFAIK no insurance company covers for injury, search & rescue or death for life threatening reckless activities such as scaling Everest.
    Its considered an "extreme sport" type thing and it also nulls life insurance & mortgage protection policies.

You can get insurance for Everest etc ( needed in case you get altitude sickness etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

jasper100 wrote: »
    We don't know the money will go to his family. Where was that announced?

Here.
    owaters wrote: »
    Hi - the beneficiary of the GoFundMe page will be Seamus' wife which is clear from the GoFundMe page. It was set up on her behalf by Trinity staff.

No, that's why the page still states it's a rescue mission!

So the rescue mission is going ahead then? He can't be confirmed dead without a body....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    you've no idea, like me, what conversations took place between him and his family before hand.

Not really sure what difference this makes... a married guy with a young daughter and another child on the way decides to take a huge risk, a completely uninsurable one at that, and decides to attempt to climb Everest.

Most people would view that as being very selfish. Doesn't really matter what he said to convince the missus.

• Advertisement

Shame on you for wanting a pregnant bereaved woman and her child to not receive any financial support.

I can only assume at this point that you are being deliberately obtuse, but for the sake of clarity, because its quite important, I'll repeat myself.

I have no issue with a search & rescue Go Fund Me, but if the money is not used for that purpose, it should be refunded.
    Another fundraiser to directly benefit the family should be set up & if people want to donate to that, at least they are doing so knowing where its going.

It isn't an unreasonable or mysterious position to take, so I can't see why you keep losing your head over it.

Advertisement