Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So thankfully this go fund me page will assist the grieving family, right?

I don't know what you're being so hostile for, over a quarter of a MILLION euro has been gathered under pretty unclear pretences.
    People have a right to question that, its a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Maybe there will be a recovery mission or maybe it will go to support the pregnant wife of Shay and their child. Posters here are against that. Nasty people. Close it down.

You are completely missing the point, if people were told the truth in what they were donating to they can make a choice based on that. They have been lied to on a gofundme page. It's essentially fraud, there are businesses in this country who don't turnover annually the amount that page has raised so it really needs to be run honestly and transparently which it hasn't been.

Screaming for a thread to be shut down just because people are asking real and pertinent questions is just you wanting to sweep the deception under the rug.

I have the greatest sympathy for the man's family but lying to raise money is wrong on all levels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

What's pathetic is faceless people having a go at a dead man and his family. Close this!

Care to quote what you perceive as just having a go at dead man and his family? I’ve read one nasty comment which the poster subsequently deleted. The rest has been some very valid criticism of disingenuous fund raising and the also the debate surrounding whether a person with a young family should pursue some goal which endangers their own life, which the more we learn it seems he was quite reckless and not fully experienced to do so in the first place. Furthermore, the family or fundraisers are now asking the general public to fund an exercise where the lives of some very desperate and vulnerable people are now also being endangered. This is isn’t just mudslinging for the sake of it like you are making out, some very valid questions are being asked and points being raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That's all fair enough but is this the thread to do it? And some are clearly having a go at this man and his family. There was even a post mocking his death!

Then report such a post .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Tbh, I'll be honest, I'd prefer the money going to his family to help with financial hole his death will have created for the family

Not getting into the specifics of this case (and my reply is not in direct response to you) but people die every day and leave families in financial trouble and there's never a public round of fund raising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So thankfully this go fund me page will assist the grieving family, right?

The family grieving because of deliberate and conscious choices made on the part of Mr Lawless'.

His choice to risk his life and risk his family's financial security.

Asking the Irish public an honest question
    Such as "Please support the family of thrill seeker left bereaved?"

Rather than harvest donations in the hope of a rescue mission
    There is no "rescue" at that altitude the very few good outcomes that have occured are the exception that proves that rule

So no issues then. The money will go on a recovery mission or to the family. Glad we got that sorted.

I don't know what you think gives you the authority to shut down reasonable discussion on this thread.

A recovery mission would risk more lives so that'd be a no from me, and those donating are unaware that the whole lot could just be given to the family.

The hint is in the description - they think they are donating to a search & rescue. If the money isn't used for that purpose it should be refunded, and anyone who wants to donate directly to the family can do so.

Not hostile, glad you've accepted this money will assist the family and you support it.

You must have read a different post because I don't accept that and vehemently disagree with the Go Fund Me being used for that purpose.
    You aren't posting in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭Jeff2

owaters wrote: »
    Hi - the beneficiary of the GoFundMe page will be Seamus' wife which is clear from the GoFundMe page. It was set up on her behalf by Trinity staff.

This post would seem to be by the person who set up the gofundme page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

mordeith wrote: »
    Not getting into the specifics of this case (and my reply is not in direct response to you) but people die every day and leave families in financial trouble and there's never a public round of fund raising?

It's probably more high profile so it's going to attract more but I have seen several instances over the years where people have fundraised to help families out when the sudden or tragic death of the main earner has occurred.

Maybe it's more of a country thing, I don't know...

But in this instance, where the money is being raised for a recovery mission, I'd balk at the idea of giving money over to something that could result in even more fatalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with that, I'd much rather that then have Sherpas risk their lives (and probably die themselves) trying to get him down the mountain.

My issue is lack of clarity on the Go Fund Me. People should know what they're donating to. Even looking at messages from today some people donating think the man can still be saved!

This is also what i have an issue with. The funds need to go to what they say they need to go to. If that is a rescue mission then fine.

If that is for the family then also no problem with that. But people are not donating to this according to the page which presents some ethicacy issues with the fund tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Farawayhome, stop begging its embarrassing you are making me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

mordeith wrote: »

Its a lot of money to hand over to one specific trajedy. If somebody dies in a crash there would be no €250K gathered up.

The whole go fund me thing was promoted as a recovery operation and RTE news ramped it.

This is the type of post I was referring to. A nasty post and I don't get the mentality of the people revelling in this. Close this thread down. It's a sh1tshow.

If you have an issue with anything I've posted.
    Report it.

There's nothing nasty about laying out the facts surrounding the situation at hand.

He chose the path, the risk was known.
    What's nasty about that?

As for your constant "shut it down".
    Reported for back seat modding.

It's not a difference of opinion, it's a horrible attitude to want to deprive this family at such a horrible time as this. That's why this thread should be closed.

have you a list of things people are allowed say based on your own personal opinion?

do you find that....works?

power to you and all that but you aren't the mammy of boards.ie so you can take that wagging finger and shove it somewhere else thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This thread is going around in circles. Time to close it down
    Close it down.
    Moderators please close this thread or else clamp down on offensive, insulting and derogatory posts
    Posters like this are revelling in it all. Shut it down.
    What's pathetic is faceless people having a go at a dead man and his family. Close this!
    Nasty people. Close it down.
    That's why this thread should be closed.
    A nasty post and I don't get the mentality of the people revelling in this. Close this thread down.

And burn any books about it.

You're in favour of the go fund me page. Hopefully it helps the family, even in a small way.

No, if it isn't used for search & rescue (which was madness anyway) it should be refunded.
    Otherwise it was fraudulently obtained from those who donated to it.

If the money isn't used for the purpose it was collected for, it should be returned. Its that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

owaters wrote: »
    Hi - the beneficiary of the GoFundMe page will be Seamus' wife which is clear from the GoFundMe page. It was set up on her behalf by Trinity staff.

Are you or other trinity staff members deleting comments from the go fund me page?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

It's attracting lots of this sort of person. Any mods around, the bereaved family could be reading this muck.

I have no opinion on this RIP to the dead man. But you need to cop yourself on, your begging and pleading to close the thread is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

This thread has actually been very educational on the realities of climbing Everest. I think it's evident from the comments on gofundme page that most people are ignorant of the fact that the body cannot be recovered. So of course a rescue fund is misleading.
    And while I wouldn't mind my donation being used to help the family in lieu of a rescue mission, others may not. Things are tight for a lot of people and they might disagree with their money going to a cause where, sadly, it ought to have been known insurance etc would not be paying out.
    Again, my deepest sympathies go to his family but I really think this thread has for the most part been very eye opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

SusieBlue wrote: »
    No, if it isn't used for search & rescue (which was madness anyway) it should be refunded.
    Otherwise it was fraudulently obtained from those who donated to it.

If the money isn't used for the purpose it was collected for, it should be returned. Its that simple.

Exactly. Refund the money if its not used for what it was advertised for. Start another go fund me campaign for his family directly.

That's a fundamental issue I have with go fund me. There is no accountability at all, people can draw money to their bank account and do what they want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Not hostile, glad you've accepted this money will assist the family and you support it.

You really are not the brightest spark...

If you read peoples posts, they are happy for the money to go to either a recovery mission or to his family if that's what others are aware they are doing with their money.
    HOWEVER, the GoFundMe pages is ONLY for a recovery mission.

If this does not go ahead, all money should be returned, and a GoFundMe page set-up to donate directly to the family, with that stated as the cause and people can then decide.

Otherwise it is deception and fraud, there is no other way to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

When a man has just died? Would you like that if your dad had just died? Everyone talking about how selfish he was and that they don't think you're family should receive any financial support?

Hang on. I pay every month for life assurance and income protection. I make sure that I pay so my family are looked after if the worst happens. Why does my family deserve financial support from others if I get sick or die unexpectedly?
    Add the KNOWN risk of dying on Everest and the invalidity of insurance policies and your question really comes across as very entitled.

When a man has just died? Would you like that if your dad had just died? Everyone talking about how selfish he was and that they don't think you're family should receive any financial support?

You're being emotionally manipulative now, and that's uncalled for. The risks of Everest are well known, if you voluntarily embark on such an adventure when you have a pregnant wife and young child I don't know what else to call it.

The family absolutely should receive financial support, but only from people who KNOW that's what they're contributing to.
    A lot of people think they are donating to rescue a live man off the side of a mountain and that's extremely dishonest and unfair on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's full of horrible people wanting to have a go. These people are now up in arms because someone is pointing out their nastiness.

If you're accusing me of being nasty then you're way off. I have no issue with a gofundme once it's honest about where the money will go. This particular gofundme has not been honest, it's garnering money by deception, people are donating believing this is money to bring the man home when the reality is far from that

who appointed you the guardian of it?

public message board. public story.

the grieving relatives will have, i hope, bigger concerns than this being discussed here

but even if they dont- then theres still no case for any opinion of it to be censored on the basis it would upset anyone. most public interest stories involve the potential for anyone involved or affected to be upset by what might be thought or said. thats no basis for action

you have no case, no authority and youve made your point thirty times.

So he should be lauded for a faux charity trek that resulted in his unfortunate death?

I'm widowed, I'm raising a child. My wife died in tragic circumstances.
    Where's my free pile of money?
    Death does not absolve one of responsibility for the choices or the consequence of that choice on the people left behind.

Your maudlin screeching to close the thread and demand that money raised by a deception by handed over to the bereaved wife isn't actually gaining traction.

If that's what the money was raised for there is no issue.
    But can you not understand that money raised for a recovery, when no recovery is feasible should be returned.

If Mr Lawless' family are left in such dire circumstances that a fundraiser is needed.
    Then be honest about that, don't dress a holiday as a hero who died in a noble cause.

Most typed letters on wifi in Trinity College right now: Close this.

So you've confirmed that you don't want to see the family receive any financial support. This is the type of person posting here. Close this.

More bad faith posting, strawman after strawman from you.

On the contrary I think that anyone that supports obtaining money from the public under false deceptive pretences (such as yourself) isn't a very nice person.

• Advertisement

Stop being so selfish, there's a young kid and another on the way here. Why deprive them?

She didn't...
    Mr Lawless' did, you seem to have an issue with comprehending that simple fact however.

Advertisement