Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options
1656667686971»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It was for the whole team so they could have protein. Thought it was unreal that his resting heart rate was 130 beats a minute when acclimatising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Whether he did or didn’t summit is fairly inconsequential, he didn’t come down alive. There’s a recent gush of adulation for a lot of dead mountaineers. Mallory is possibly an exception to this as he possibly was the first to even get to the top, I agree but without wanting to be too harsh but it should be said at some point, Ger McDonnell did not conquer K2, he died. Successfully summiting a mountain has always been about being able to go up and down in one piece, our extremely naïve and idiotic president at the time made it very public that McDonnell had become the first Irishman to climb K2 and it made front page news much to the dismay of the climbing community as when it was published he was still on top of one of the most dangerous mountains in the world. I remember it as an inexperienced mountaineer and could not comprehend how it was being celebrated while he was still up there. No doubt he was a hero for trying to rescue others, but he lost his life yet most other climbers who leave other climbers to perish are called self serving selfish reckless idiots. I find it very hard to reconcile how they can be called as much yet Lawless and McDonnell are some how different just because they died.

The TLDR...you only climb/successfully summit a mountain when you go up and come down again alive.

Was Stelfox not the first Irishman to climb it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Was Stelfox not the first Irishman to climb it?

You're thinking of Everest not K2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Watched "The Dawn Wall" on Netflix last night, what a story, what an achievement, what a level of skill and what moral fibre those men both have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Watched "The Dawn Wall" on Netflix last night, what a story, what an achievement, what a level of skill and what moral fibre those men both have.

It's so good isn't it, this climbing rabbit hole has been up there with the best

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

IvoryTower wrote: »
    It's so good isn't it, this climbing rabbit hole has been up there with the best

This, Free Solo, The Summit and Touching the Void, all fantastic.
    Dunno which is better, I think all 4 are equally brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

IvoryTower wrote: »

having "climbing" and "rabbit hole" in the same sentence hurts my brain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This, Free Solo, The Summit and Touching the Void, all fantastic.
    Dunno which is better, I think all 4 are equally brilliant.

Are all these on Netflix? watched the Dawn Wall. Incredible stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

No, just The Dawn Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pretty sure The Summit and Touching the Void are on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Free Solo is on the All4 player.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pretty sure The Summit and Touching the Void are on Youtube.

I got Touching the Void on torrent and it's much higher quality than what's on youtube but the youtube one is more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

fergus1001 wrote: »

Being reported in the Independent today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Are all these on Netflix? watched the Dawn Wall. Incredible stuff

Valley Uprising is on Netflix and great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mountain on netflix is very good. Cinematography is sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cos its not Everest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

NIMAN wrote:
    Cos its not Everest?

it may not be everest but it is a death of an Irish man in a foreign country while doing more than just laying out in the sun

• Advertisement

it may not be everest but it is a death of an Irish man in a foreign country while doing more than just laying out in the sun

But was he a professor at Trinity?

Kevin Hynes was also an Irish man that died on Everest and it got very little coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s on RTÉ news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cos its not Everest?

I did see it reported in the news not sure if it was RTE or journal.ie or another news outlet but it was reported. I felt sad again thinking about Seamus Lawless. But you may be right in that other mountains are less newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It's likely also because he wasn't "missing", first news back was that he had already died

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Was this posted here? They are talking about inexperienced mountaineers climbing it
    https://youtu.be/ZVMIl6o_UzE

Just for those that followed this thread during climbing season, I've been following this guy on instagram since, he's an absolute beast in climbing terms (he took the photo of the queue on Everest this year). Worth a follow.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/nirmal-nims-purja-reaches-manaslu-base-camp-to-attempt-two-peaks-by-sept-end/?fbclid=IwAR34alC0nvarzH1W1gTuATx2xkW291zm-4LT7qd2kc-bD0bj9a84Ee3rS8E

Advertisement