Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

And very possibly slanderous posts about the creator of the campaign. Hopefully screenshots were made of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Been following this thread for a while. I believe that the Go fund me page should never have been set up in an effort to rescue Seamus Lawless. Seamus was never going to be brought home immediately be it alive or dead. However some of the posts here are obnoxious. Whatever happened to having a bit of respect for those gone before us. Does it occur to people that friends and family of Seamus could be following this thread.

Moderators have done very little to suppress the countless obnoxious posts here.

While I agree some of the posts are OTT, the general consensus appears to be that the whole concept of wanting to climb Everest is a bit shallow. People tacking on a charity element doesn't wash either. Going up a mountain where the Sherpas do all the real work is a bit of a con. Anybody with enough money can have a cut off Everest. No experience necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

mordeith wrote: »
    I wonder how many people who died 'doing what they loved' and had time to realize they were probably going to die thought that?

Just 11 as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

redmgar wrote: »
    And very possibly slanderous posts about the creator of the campaign. Hopefully screenshots were made of these.

Boards.ie is pretty careful about preventing any potential legal issues, in my experience, so there must not be anything they consider legally dodgy in the thread so far.

The creator of the campaign could be more transparent and issue updates on what is happening with the money and the recovery operation. Instead they have left the page the exact same since the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Boards.ie is pretty careful about preventing any potential legal issues, in my experience, so there must not be anything they consider legally dodgy in the thread so far.

This thread is going around in circles. Time to close it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, that’s a different matter.

Close it down.

If ye are not interested in it don't look in. No need to be dictating to others what they can and can't discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The Go Fund Me page was not forthcoming about the fact that at best, it was a recovery mission. Many people donated on the premise that they were helping to fund a RESCUE mission for this man, that he was still alive.
    This wasn't the case and it deceived people who only wanted to help. That was very wrong.

The creator of the Go Fund Me have a lot more to answer for than anyone on this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

jasper100 wrote: »
    Instead they have left the page the exact same since the start.

They've actually been deleting posts on the fund me page (according to posters here) so they have been monitoring it and censoring what they don't wish published. (Again according to posters on boards, I only looked to see the total raised to date).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Unfortuneatly it didn't go so well

How much did it raise for Barretstown anyway ?

Money raised : € X

Cost of climb - € Y

?

Lots of Keyboard warriors on here. While I don't agree that a go fund me page needed to be set up if anyone believes that fraudulent behavior has occurred then feel free to report it to the relevant authorities.

Moderators please close this thread or else clamp down on offensive, insulting and derogatory posts

It's a thread for those wanting to have a go. Remove their oxygen.

not a considerate choice of words considering the many that have passed away atop everest due to running out of oxygen

their families might be reading

shame on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 owaters

Bowlardo wrote: »
    who set up the gofundme page and where will the funds be going to?

Hi - the beneficiary of the GoFundMe page will be Seamus' wife which is clear from the GoFundMe page. It was set up on her behalf by Trinity staff.

Moderators please close this thread
    Shut it down.

This is the second time now in a matter of minutes that ye have asked to close down the internet.

The internet heard ye the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lots of Keyboard warriors on here. While I don't agree that a go fund me page needed to be set up if anyone believes that fraudulent behavior has occurred then feel free to report it to the relevant authorities.

Moderators please close this thread or else clamp down on offensive, insulting and derogatory posts

I believe some serious questions need to be asked, it's not an insignificant sum, currently standing at over €250k. It is still being made out by the gofundme page that this money is for a rescue/recovery mission which is never going to happen.

owaters wrote: »
    Hi - the beneficiary of the GoFundMe page will be Seamus' wife which is clear from the GoFundMe page. It was set up on her behalf by Trinity staff.

I thought the fund was advertised to be for a rescue/recovery operation, and that seems to be what's causing a lot of the confusion.
    I'm not sure many people were away they were donating directly to the family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

This is the second time in a matter of minutes you've asked for the nastiness to be allowed continue.

We heard you the first time.

Whatever your view on any subject, begging threads be shut down because you feel offended or offended on behalf of someone is fairly pathetic. Just move on if it isn’t to your taste and is upsetting for you.

This is the second time in a matter of minutes you've asked for the nastiness to be allowed continue.

We heard you the first time.

I second that

The insurance company that had provided a policy for Séamus (Shay) are currently not providing assistance with the search and rescue.
    With the weekend upon us, we, the family of Shay, have been left with no other option but to ask for assistance in raising funds to gather a team of expert Sherpas to locate and bring our beloved Shay home to Ireland.

Taken directly from the page. Currently at €255,607 and counting.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I thought the fund was advertised to be for a rescue/recovery operation, and that seems to be what's causing a lot of the confusion.
    I'm not sure many people were away they were donating directly to the family.

That's the thing, people are donating believing this is for some sort of rescue mission, it's naive at best, dishonest at worse

"on behalf of Pamela Lawless". The fund will go to Shay's grieving wife and family if not for a recovery mission. Have a problem with that?

I do actually, people are being lied to on a gofundme page, being led to believe that it's for a rescue mission, that's deception.

A gofundme stating the truth, 'this money is for Shay's family' I would have zero issue with. It's the obviously misleading that I have issue with

A load of people were having a go at Shay for being selfish and leaving his family to suffer, the same people don't want any financial support to go to this same family.

That's a very dishonest and misdirected statement.
    I don't think anyone would have a problem with fundraising for financial support for his family, but that's not what the Go Fund Me is advertising itself to be for.

It specifically says that its gathering funds to launch a search & rescue operation. That's what people have a problem with, the lack of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The insurance company that had provided a policy for Séamus (Shay) are currently not providing assistance with the search and rescue.

Why are the insurance not currently paying out ?

Did the insurance company say they would pay out at some stage in the future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Maybe there will be a recovery mission or maybe it will go to support the pregnant wife of Shay and their child. Posters here are against that. Nasty people. Close it down.

Tbh, I'll be honest, I'd prefer the money going to his family to help with financial hole his death will have created for the family than for it to be used risking other people's lives trying to get his body back.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why are the insurance not currently paying out ?

Did the insurance company say they would pay out at some stage in the future ?

AFAIK no insurance company covers for injury, search & rescue or death for life threatening reckless activities such as scaling Everest.
    Its considered an "extreme sport" type thing and it also nulls life insurance & mortgage protection policies.

It wouldn't seem that they had any insurance to cover such instances to begin with, so the chance of payout would be zero.

Maybe there will be a recovery mission or maybe it will go to support the pregnant wife of Shay and their child. Posters here are against that. Nasty people. Close it down.

People are paying for what they believe is a recovery operation. That is what the page is advertising.

Nobody would have an issue with the money going to the family - if the page promoters were more transparent about it.

Well, it is for a recovery mission but if that doesn't go ahead it will go to the family. That's not deception. Why do you have a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with that, I'd much rather that then have Sherpas risk their lives (and probably die themselves) trying to get him down the mountain.

My issue is lack of clarity on the Go Fund Me. People should know what they're donating to. Even looking at messages from today some people donating think the man can still be saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Some people are being very unpleasant on the thread, but not everyone. I don't think the incivility of some is justification to shut the thread. It's up to each reader to make their own judgement of the opinions offered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Others disagree with you. They don't want the family to see any of this.

People having a difference of opinion. The horror...

Advertisement