Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

jasper100 wrote: »
    I see the female climber in his group is 40 years old with 4 young children at home.

What a selfish person.

Sad to see your now turning your attention to another member of the expedition. You don't know anything about the female climbers motivation to climb Everest so keep your ignorant comments to yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Sad to see your now turning your attention to another member of the expedition. You don't know anything about the female climbers motivation to climb Everest so keep your ignorant comments to yourself

Thank you for asking to close down the internet. (Again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Search to resume according to RTE.Noel Hanna and eight sherpas to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Blaizes wrote: »

The sherpas should demand extra to what they normally get paid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jesus, did Noel summit the other day? You'd think himself and the Sherpas would be physically and emotionally drained to go back up!

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Jesus, did Noel summit the other day? You'd think himself and the Sherpas would be physically and emotionally drained to go back up!

I know, but it seems they are going, anyway.

we know shes the parent of four children

im comfortable having an opinion on that

and you dont know anything about my motivation so keep your comments to yourself- is that how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

You'd hope they're ready.

Otherwise they could find themselves in danger.

Just a quote from a article about Everest and weight loss.

A well-trained mountaineer who is already at optimum weight can lose 30 to 50 pounds during a three-month expedition to and from the world`s tallest mountain. That rapid and severe weight loss saps a climber`s strength by reducing overall muscle mass and depleting energy reserves.

One has to assume they're not back up to fitness levels. Maybe they are? How long were they climbing for during their expedition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

To be fair if anybody is going to find him it's Noel Hanna. Putting more lives at risk to find the body is madness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I see the female climber in his group is 40 years old with 4 young children at home.

What a selfish person.

I agree, from a parenting perspective she definitely is.

She could have left Millions in a trust fund for the kids, had the house paid off and discussed the risks with them beforehand though. That would make what she was doing a little easier to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I know, but it seems they are going, anyway.

From reading about it in items linked here, the balcony is almost a summit trip again. Hope all return safely.

From reading about it in items linked here, the balcony is almost a summit trip again. Hope all return safely.

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Rightly or wrongly sounds like he feels partly culpable. It seems like sheer madness to turn around and head back up but I'm no mountaineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

To be fair if anybody is going to find him it's Noel Hanna. Putting more lives at risk to find the body is madness though.

Was thinking the same, if he knows where it is, he must think its recoverable.

I would imagine the Sherpas will be getting a chunk of the money raised so far. To not give them that would be shocking by the organisers of the GoFundMe page, especially if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A summit trip, and then off the normal trekking paths into crevasses and unknown areas probably. I really hope the search parties return safely.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly sounds like he feels partly culpable. It sounds like sheer madness to turn around and head back up to find a body but I'm no mountaineer.

I don't know but incredibly good person to do this, just has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

we know shes the parent of four children

im comfortable having an opinion on that

and you dont know anything about my motivation so keep your comments to yourself- is that how this works?
    What benefit is it that someone a grown adult (I assume) gets onto the internet and calls a missing person selfish and calls another woman selfish? What is the point other than trolling? Or is to put off other would be climbers by the fact some random person on boards.ie might disapprove?

This is not aimed at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's passed time people were banned from climbing Everest.
    From the time Hillary and Norgay climbed it first in the early 50s up until the 90s it was a niche pursuit for elite mountaineers.
    Now it's just a Jolly for the rich and entitled.

There are dozens of accounts of how many of the people who climb Everest are not really mountaineers in any meaningful way. They do it with vast support teams and huge quantities of bottled oxygen. In some cases they are literally hauled to the top by their sherpas (Homer Simpson style).

As a climb it's not even particularly challenging. In a single day in 2012, over 200 people reached the summit. An Amputee and an 80 year old have also climbed it successfully.

It's not even close to being the deadliest either. It has a 1 in 27 chance of death. K2 and Nanga Parbat have a 1 in 4 kill rate.

There have been some right Tulips killed on Everest. Like the Australian woman a few years back that wanted to prove Vegans could do anything. I only expect that to increase as the rich and entitled continue to chase the "unique" achievement of being one of the 4000+ people who have scaled Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

Tomw86 wrote: »
    I agree, from a parenting perspective she definitely is.

She could have left Millions in a trust fund for the kids, had the house paid off and discussed the risks with them beforehand though. That would make what she was doing a little easier to understand.

But she's still leaving them without a mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is no reason to ban anybody from Everest, generally if people want to go and roll the dice by trying to climb it then that is their choice. Free will and all that, at least they aren't hurting anybody else when they die.

My problem with all this isn't that people died on Everest, it is that they went there despite having very young kids that needed their mothers and fathers. That is just abhorrent to me, and utterly selfish.

If you don't have kids or your kids have grown up then climb away, take all the risks you want, no need to ban those people from Everest at all. But if you have toddlers at home or a new baby about to be born then cop the **** on.

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

From reading about the rubbish being left up there, rich thrill seekers you are likely right. Someone on here or another thread suggested let there still be visits to base camp, maybe camp 1 for the locals (sherpas/porters etc) and tourism. But it seems the permits etc. for the Government are a cash cow and unlikely to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Hoboo

One Sherpa summited last week for the second time in 7 days. He's only done it 24 times now (without using Sherpas to set up his ropes and oxygen like the western glory hunters)

Beastmode.

QUOTE]

From reading about the rubbish being left up there, rich thrill seekers you are likely right. Someone on here or another thread suggested let there still be visits to base camp, maybe camp 1 for the locals (sherpas/porters etc) and tourism. But it seems the permits etc. for the Government are a cash cow and unlikely to stop.

Camp 4 is a significant challenge in itself. I would expect there is a tourist market to get that far.

At the moment its not an option, camp 4 is only open to people who have paid for a summit attempt AFAIK.

Not sure how far tourists can get at the moment, but allowing access to different points and building a more inclusive and sustainable model is the way to go.

They shut the beach in Thailand because tourists destroyed it. The same is happening on Everest.

redmgar wrote: »
    What benefit is it that someone a grown adult (I assume) gets onto the internet and calls a missing person selfish and calls another woman selfish? What is the point other than trolling? Or is to put off other would be climbers by the fact some random person on boards.ie might disapprove?

firstly, no would be climber is going to be put off by the disapproval of a message board poster.

secondly, nobody is under an onus to cheerlead any would be climber.

thirdly, criticism is not trolling. your own tack on this thread is to criticise others. are you trolling?

fourthly, a message board post does not have to benefit anyone

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Camp 4 is a significant challenge in itself. I would expect there is a tourist market to get that far.

At the moment its not an option, camp 4 is only open to people who have paid for a summit attempt AFAIK.

Not sure how far tourists can get at the moment, but allowing access to different points and building a more inclusive and sustainable model is the way to go.

They shut the beach in Thailand because tourists destroyed it. The same is happening on Everest.

Base camp really is a misnomer since as you say its a significant challenge to get there. The words base camp imply you are camping at the very foot of the mountain which you aren't. And it wouldn't be much of a boast down the pub, "I made it to Base Camp". They need to rename it to something more "sexy", so the rich westerners who at least make it that far have something interesting to boast about. Maybe Advance Camp 1 or Presummit Camp?

From the time Hillary and Norgay climbed it first in the early 50s up until the 90s it was a niche pursuit for elite mountaineers.
    Now it's just a Jolly for the rich and entitled.

There are dozens of accounts of how many of the people who climb Everest are not really mountaineers in any meaningful way. They do it with vast support teams and huge quantities of bottled oxygen. In some cases they are literally hauled to the top by their sherpas (Homer Simpson style).

As a climb it's not even particularly challenging. In a single day in 2012, over 200 people reached the summit. An Amputee and an 80 year old have also climbed it successfully.

It's not even close to being the deadliest either. It has a 1 in 27 chance of death. K2 and Nanga Parbat have a 1 in 4 kill rate.

There have been some right Tulips killed on Everest. Like the Australian woman a few years back that wanted to prove Vegans could do anything. I only expect that to increase as the rich and entitled continue to chase the "unique" achievement of being one of the 4000+ people who have scaled Everest.

Agree 100%. Real mountaineers have long since moved on. Bellends are all that go to Everest now.

article-2151418-13580309000005DC-647_634x422.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

redmgar wrote: »

This is an open discussion about the rights and wrongs of climbing Everest, the risk, the cost, fronting as a charity effort, the skill level, the pollution, the Sherpa pay, the mentality of the climbers etc. etc.

Are you saying these things should not be open for discussion?

BTW, you were telling us earlier Seamus had extensive mountaineering experience, can you list it for us please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

There is no reason to ban anybody from Everest, generally if people want to go and roll the dice by trying to climb it then that is their choice. Free will and all that, at least they aren't hurting anybody else when they die.[/]

My problem with all this isn't that people died on Everest, it is that they went there despite having very young kids that needed their mothers and fathers. That is just abhorrent to me, and utterly selfish.

If you don't have kids or your kids have grown up then climb away, take all the risks you want, no need to ban those people from Everest at all. But if you have toddlers at home or a new baby about to be born then cop the **** on.

Do you not feel they hurt the dependents you state when you call them selfish. Not physically but most certainly emotionally and in certain cases financially which could have repercussions for decades?

• Advertisement

Really interesting reading about Noel Hanna http://noelhanna.com/

Advertisement