Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It's worrying that there's a large percentage of the current audience that seem completely oblivious to how poor last week's episode was- it does not give you confidence for the future of tv drama in general when you have people lapping up such ****e.

What a pompous, self important and rude post.

Some people just want to be entertained. Some people thought it was shîte, some thought it was great. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Some people might be of the view it was no bad, those who only considered it poor are themselves fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Basil3 wrote: »
    One thing I've always wondered is what knowledge did the Night King etc have of what exists beyond the wall? Assuming nobody has crossed it in however many years, did they expect that they could cross the wall and wipe out anything in their path because they're almost invincible? How did they know they wouldn't be coming up against hundreds of dragons, for example?

Seriously? It's a fictional tv show based on a fictional book! Seriously people, cop on.

Wailin wrote: »
    Seriously? It's a fictional tv show based on a fictional book! Seriously people, cop on.

I really don't think it's wise to mock someone asking legitimate questions about a fictional plot.

"Oh, you're thinking about it. Cop on."

There used to be loads of dragons a couple of centuries before. Does the NK know that? It's an interesting question, not to you obviously, but to others it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Blazer wrote: »
    The books man...the books.. where do you think GoT came from?
    Martins has only written is it 6 books and the writers had to divulge from what he had originally intended.

This isn't the book thread though, take it to the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

biggebruv wrote: »
    100% agree with this. People are treating this like the show is actually over when we have 4hours worth of thrones left to go 2 full length movies essentially who knows what will happen

The epilogue as far as I'm concerned. Business as usual between warring families. The main story was the night king and this has come to the end. They could easily end it now as the throne will always be fought over given human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

And only one of those books were released in the last 13/14 years.

People like to claim "Dumb and Dumber" as they cleverly call the producers don't know what they're doing. Well George himself is a whole different level of lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I think it’s hinted strongly all along that the NK has powers similar to the Three Eyed Raven.

Not such a leap to imagine that an inherently magical being capable of raising the dead would have powers of prophecy and telepathy sufficient to sense the general state of affairs in the lands of the living.

He did attack at a strategically opportune time: when the Night’s Watch was weak and Westeros was tearing itself apart in various wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

'Dry your eyes mate'

They really are some childish complaints going on here. Tell us please.... How in the hell the NK should have been defeated (if at all)?

Personally thought it might have been class to see the NK vs. The mountain 2.0 but it was just a top Trump card wish. Many screenwriters here believe they know better of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The epilogue as far as I'm concerned. Business as usual between warring families. The main story was the night king and this has come to the end. They could easily end it now as the throne will always be fought over given human nature.

And yet there’s people who complain it’s gone to far into fantasy and now for the last 3 episodes it’s possibly getting back to a more grounded level and now there’s people complaining there’s really no winning people will complain no matter what the output was of the shows final season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

And yet there’s people who complain it’s gone to far into fantasy and now for the last 3 episodes it’s possibly getting back to a more grounded level and now there’s people complaining there’s really no winning people will complain no matter what the output was of the shows final season

Nah, i think if it was better, less people would be complaining, like take the first few seasons, a lot less people complaining back then ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just watched it worst episode of the series for me - no real story, only saving grace was arya killing the night king

just way too dark as well made the fire scenes good

nix wrote: »
    Nah, i think if it was better, less people would be complaining, like take the first few seasons, a lot less people complaining back then ;):)

But there’s also a hell of alot more watching nowadays more eyeballs more complaining lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The only way to keep this interesting at this stage is to kill Arya in the next episode, now that will be something to subvert my expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

lawred2 wrote: »
    This is where I am. Wondering what's left. And what the motivation will be for any of the main characters from here

With the culmination of how many years' buildup to this battle of the dead done with only half the series complete one has to wonder what on earth the writers have decided should be the central theme of this final season!? It's intriguing anyway.

The central theme has always been the Iron Throne.
    Despite Jon trying to make it about the long night, Dannerys, Cersi, and everyone one else have either been all about ruling the 7 kingdoms or got dragged into the drama about ruling the 7 kingdoms.
    The show is called ‘The game of Thrones’

I don’t know who will sit on the throne, but I think it will mirror the first episodes, showing nothing changes.

In the Game of Thrones you win or you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think the 'Beyond the Wall' episode from last season was where the shark got jumped for a lot of people. Last weeks episode just confirmed for me that we're going with nonsense fan-service over smart writing.

Show jumped shark when Jon Snow was brought back to life. Everything involving him has been totally ridiculous since then. He is unkillable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Lackey wrote: »
    The central theme has always been the Iron Throne.
    Despite Jon trying to make it about the long night, Dannerys, Cersi, and everyone one else have either been all about ruling the 7 kingdoms or got dragged into the drama about ruling the 7 kingdoms.
    The show is called ‘The game of Thrones’

I don’t know who will sit on the throne, but I think it will mirror the first episodes, showing nothing changes.

In the Game of Thrones you win or you die.

The show is based on the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Ice and Fire. A Game of Thrones is the title of the first book and Dan and Dave thought it was a better name for the show. That's it. No other explanation. No other motive. No long term planning. Nothing.

The opening scene of the show is the White Walkers. Throughout the show we are repeatedly told, by Jon and by any character that interacts with the dead that the THRONE DOES NOT MATTER. All of the politics, the scheming, the backstabbing is irrelevant because once the dead arrive it will not matter. They do not care who will be sitting on the Iron Throne.
    Despite Jon trying to make it about the long night

What in the absolute f**k are you talking about here. Nobody else knew about the dead so why would they have been bloody interested in them? Why would Dany have been interested in the dead from a different continent. As soon as anybody found out about their existance they treated them as the threat they were and THE MAIN PRIORITY.

It has constantly been hinted at, alluded to and even bloody shown in Danys visions in Season 2 that the Throne will be of little importance after the dead are through with everyone. But no, the threat that we have been building up as the main threat from the first scene in the first episode lost in one night. They were defeated in one episode of 70. They were built up as a threat for 69 episodes, and it took 1 episode to defeat them.

What do we say to the people who continue to spout utter nonsense in this thread to defend this rubbish? Not today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Calm down ..you are about to give yourself a heart attack !
    I can hear the echo of you banging on the key board last night from here lol.

This is the non book readers thread
    But Youll be a long time waiting on GRRM to prove you right, I can’t see Winds being published any time soon and A Dream of Spring....forget about it.

Cersi enteracted with the dead...and didn’t give a sh!te...she’s all about the throne.

Mokuba wrote: »
    The show is based on the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Ice and Fire. A Game of Thrones is the title of the first book and Dan and Dave thought it was a better name for the show. That's it. No other explanation. No other motive. No long term planning. Nothing.

The opening scene of the show is the White Walkers. Throughout the show we are repeatedly told, by Jon and by any character that interacts with the dead that the THRONE DOES NOT MATTER. All of the politics, the scheming, the backstabbing is irrelevant because once the dead arrive it will not matter. They do not care who will be sitting on the Iron Throne.

What in the absolute f**k are you talking about here. Nobody else knew about the dead so why would they have been bloody interested in them? Why would Dany have been interested in the dead from a different continent. As soon as anybody found out about their existance they treated them as the threat they were and THE MAIN PRIORITY.

It has constantly been hinted at, alluded to and even bloody shown in Danys visions in Season 2 that the Throne will be of little importance after the dead are through with everyone. But no, the threat that we have been building up as the main threat from the first scene in the first episode lost in one night. They were defeated in one episode of 70. They were built up as a threat for 69 episodes, and it took 1 episode to defeat them.

What do we say to the people who continue to spout utter nonsense in this thread to defend this rubbish? Not today.

Ok but how do you continue the show and keep the white walkers as there were going hanging around for more than one episode?
    You can’t because everyone would be dead if everyone is dead we have no show if they saved this episode for the actual finale it would suck because characters don’t have time to breathe and talk during a big battle

If the wall was still up at this stage in the series people would be complaining about that

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Alt Shift X goes in on the stupid strategies used at the start of his episode breakdown this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Your description of what upset you is your own opinion, not that I was responding to you. Of course I can dismiss it. And do you really think that millions agree with you?

I saw a great piece of television. Yes the defense was erratic and ill thought oh but in general what works on the living won’t work on the dead, and armies have been badly led in history.

The only defense they really had was killing the NK which worked. And Arya wasn’t either a Mary Sue or a Deus Ex Machina - she’s been training as an assassin for 3 years. She learned to fight well even while blind, and yet she was overwhelmed by the dead after a while.

On IMDB the episode has a rating of 8.7, and 85% on RT.

73% on rotten tomatoes, the second lowest rated episode. The lowest rated is the episode where Ramsey rapes Sansa, and that's why it's lower.
    If you don't think that episode was full on fan fiction, remember a 10 year old girl killed an undead giant while she was being crushed.

• Advertisement

According to imdb the highest rated episodes where Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter, both rated 9.9. Probably my favourite episodes of the series and totally agree with the rating. This is currently at 8.6 but dropping, lowest rated episode of GoT is 8.1 so it's close to being the worst. Well deserved, they made a bollocks of the show this season, can't believe we waited 2 yrs for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

I love the way people complain how they waited 2 years for this as if they were just sitting around, lives on hold, maybe drinking some tea.
    The reality, we all got on with our lives and occasionally spoke about it. Then, after 2 years, we turned on the tv just like we do most evenings and watched some television. That is all we did...we watched some television!!
    Bloody good television!!!

If you look at the actual episode reviews on rotten tomatoes the amount season 8 has is a lot higher than the season 6 episodes like battle of the bastards has a Total or 63 reviews

The long night has 98 of which 72 are positive that’s not bad at all for what a lot of people are saying has destroyed GOT lol

Amazing how the number of reviewers has shot up since season 7 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

It’s all gone like the Walking Dead.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

It’s all gone like the Walking Dead.

Maybe it's just the undead are bad luck...

mr_cochise wrote: »
    I love the way people complain how they waited 2 years for this as if they were just sitting around, lives on hold, maybe drinking some tea.
    The reality, we all got on with our lives and occasionally spoke about it. Then, after 2 years, we turned on the tv just like we do most evenings and watched some television. That is all we did...we watched some television!!
    Bloody good television!!!

What i meant was they had two years to work on this show and give it the finish it deserves. So far, first three episodes have been well below par.

Wailin wrote: »
    What i meant was they had two years to work on this show and give it the finish it deserves. So far, first three episodes have been well below par.

It was 1year 8months btw not 2 full years with a show like this once scripts are locked in the beginning it would be very hard to change anything later down the road like say breaking bad or such the show has too many elements in planning and production stages

You didn’t like them fair enough but a lot of work went into these episodes you cannot deny that just look at the making of vids on the YouTube channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

It was 1year 8months btw not 2 full years with a show like this once scripts are locked in the beginning it would be very hard to change anything later down the road like say breaking bad or such the show has too many elements in planning and production stages

You didn’t like them fair enough but a lot of work went into these episodes you cannot deny that just look at the making of vids on the YouTube channel

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36934888

They made that announcement in July 2016. You can presume that the writers knew for a while before they made the public announcement.
    It was 1year 8months btw not 2 full years

:rolleyes:
    but a lot of work went into these episodes you cannot deny that just look at the making of vids on the YouTube channel

I didn't realise we were supposed to appreciate things based on the behind the scenes work, rather than the finished product that the viewer is shown. Let me re-evaluate how I judge films and television.

All those videos show is how obsessed Dan and Dave became with visuals and shocks. Everything is about creating the next visual for some idiots in a bar to #woooooo at.

screen-shot-2019-04-29-at-17-22-34-1024x529.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Late to the game. Was away all week and difficult to avoid spoilers, but we did avoid them and watched The Long Night last night.

Only thing I heard of was complaints about the darkness, but I didn't mind the darkness. Its night time, the Night King isn't going to attack at half 9 in the morning.

There were one or two small weaknesses, Most of them being the battle a little too much drawn out in general and in particular in terms of our hero characters. I thought that was pandering to the audience and the tv drama necessities a little. Like almost every living sole is gone from the sheer onslaught, but of course our guys are still hangin in somewhere. Even though they're literally with their backs against the walls for the last ten minutes and we've seen them being hopelessly crowded twice already, too. GoT had been much more ruthless than that in the past.

Other than that it was fantastic I thought. Especially the dragon scenes were spectacular. Really brilliant, there wasn't a word spoken in the room for the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Mokuba wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36934888

They made that announcement in July 2016. You can presume that the writers knew for a while before they made the public announcement.

:rolleyes:

I didn't realise we were supposed to appreciate things based on the behind the scenes work, rather than the finished product that the viewer is shown. Let me re-evaluate how I judge films and television.

All those videos show is how obsessed Dan and Dave became with visuals and shocks. Everything is about creating the next visual for some idiots in a bar to #woooooo at.

screen-shot-2019-04-29-at-17-22-34-1024x529.png

I’m not saying that’s how you should evaluate these episodes I’m just saying to the other poster the delay was to help the production side of things for the show not for planning it’s story and chill out btw

Advertisement