Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭doc_17

That news has been out there since Christmas. It’s hardly a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

What’s the craic?

Met with management over the weekend. He doesn't feel he can give the required committment.
    Morrison (college) and McClenaghan (injuries) both gone from the squad.

Met with management over the weekend. He doesn't feel he can give the required committment.

I think we are all adults here and realise what he is actually saying. If anyone needs help translating let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is Carroll in the squad these days?

What is wrong with McClenaghan?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Is Carroll in the squad these days?

Yes

What is wrong with McClenaghan?

Can't stay fit.

Comack got the 'scoop' today after Gaoth Dobhair beat MacCumhaills.

'No real interest in playing football anymore'.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Comack got the 'scoop' today after Gaoth Dobhair beat MacCumhaills.

'No real interest in playing football anymore'.

Shame to see him not involved but can't really criticise anyone for opting out given the level of commitment required.

Hard to know where he would have fitted into the team. Hopefully Paddy mcB limping off is nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

A real shame. McBrearty came off injured yesterday aswell which is not helpful.

• Advertisement

And now Marty O'Reilly goes.

A pity. I think he offers more than some getting game time.

Hopefully Paddy limping off is not serious.

So gone from the squad since last year are Mark McHugh, Anthony Thompson, Darach O'Connor, Stephen McBrearty, Mark Anthony McGinley, Martin McElhinney, Nathan Mullins, Tony McClenaghan, Conor Morrison, Cian Mulligan, Odhrán McNiallais and Marty O'Reilly.
    That is a fair rate of attrition. The committment required to play at county level is back in the news after the Lee Keegan article today. You can undertstand why players won't commit if they feel their efforts aren't being rewarded by game time. You can also understand why some feel that it simply isn't worth the effort.
    There is a wider debate to be had at the moment about the sustainability of the modern intercounty game. We expect these lads to hold down full time jobs, run businesses, raise families and prepare like professionals. Something has to give and I think we will find more players deciding that there are more importants things in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

So gone from the squad since last year are Mark McHugh, Anthony Thompson, Darach O'Connor, Stephen McBrearty, Mark Anthony McGinley, Martin McElhinney, Nathan Mullins, Tony McClenaghan, Conor Morrison, Cian Mulligan, Odhrán McNiallais and Marty O'Reilly.

What happened with Cian Mulligan? I assumed he would be re-joining the squad

What happened with Cian Mulligan? I assumed he would be re-joining the squad

He has exam committments at the moment and is highly unlikely to join the squad afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

He has exam committments at the moment and is highly unlikely to join the squad afterwards.

Thats a shame, but again understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

That is an absolute disgrace, did they not learn anything from the Liam Miller experience last year, they don't know the meaning of community spirit, a 2 month suspension for trying to raise money for a man diagnosed with motor neuron disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Really poor form. all clubs in Donegal should rally around Naomh Colmcille and play no adult fixtures until the suspension is lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

1huge1 wrote: »
    That is an absolute disgrace, did they not learn anything from the Liam Miller experience last year, they don't know the meaning of community spirit, a 2 month suspension for trying to raise money for a man diagnosed with motor neuron disease.

I imagine they don't want the Liam Miller thing to set a precident and will come down hard on anyone who had similar ideas. I can't see this ending well for the GAA...

It's a bad look.

It seems it was actually someone in the club/parish who complained to the County Board?

Noted that the suspension is proposed. So still time to ensure it doesn't happen.

With all the media attention I await the claims of 'being bullied'.

• Advertisement

Statement from County Board basically saying Naomh Colmcille have the right to appeal if facts are not accurate.

Shameful given this was to benefit a former player/manager etc.

Statement from County Board basically saying Naomh Colmcille have the right to appeal if facts are not accurate.

County board are hamstrung. The law is an ass.

Sounds like they were shopped in by one of their own members too which is the worst thing of the whole lot.

County board are hamstrung. The law is an ass.

Are they?

If they chose to ignore, what sanction would they face?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭malinheader

On highland last night they said the appeal could take 6 to 8 weeks so the ban would be served.

All clubs in donegal must stand behind Naomh colmcille.

Are they?

Don't know. But I know that if an official complaint is received they are duty bound to act.

Are they?

When they apply any other sanction to any other club for any other infraction they can have that thrown back at them. “Oh, the rules are the rules now all of a sudden”. I know, it’d be a right a**hole to do that but as we have seen on this case there are plenty of them about. And it came from their own club.

doc_17 wrote: »
    When they apply any other sanction to any other club for any other infraction they can have that thrown back at them. “Oh, the rules are the rules now all of a sudden”. I know, it’d be a right a**hole to do that but as we have seen on this case there are plenty of them about. And it came from their own club.

Who ever put that report in should be ostracized by the whole Community.

There needs to be a rule change accepting charity events where the person being fundraised for is/was a member of the GAA community.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Aaron Doherty has joined the set up; such a pity he didn't join sooner and could've had his chance to settle during the league. Good to see all the same. Lots of positive talk about him.

And Eoghan McGettigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Who ever put that report in should be ostracized by the whole Community.

There needs to be a rule change accepting charity events where the person being fundraised for is/was a member of the GAA community.

2 former club members put in the report would you believe

Advertisement