Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Irritating we've not got Odhran. He just gives us that extra level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Patton McGrath McGee McMenamin O'Baoill McLoone Gallagher McFadden McGee McHugh O'Donnell Thompson Brennan Murphy McBrearty

That would leave McCole, Doherty, McGlynn, Ward, Brennan, McGonigle, Langan, Eoin McHugh, Carroll, McFadden Ferry and Durcan as subs.

That's the team I would like to see, except I would have Carroll over Thompson.

Couple of question marks

O'Baoil because he hasn't featured much so not sure if he is first choice or not (I would like to see him start)

Thompson because he has been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I think O'Baoill has to start, he has the combination of pace and power that we lack a bit.

Based on the games last year against Tyrone and Dublin, I felt the three areas that we needed to improve were a stronger bench, a midfield that can compete against the likes of Cavanagh or Fenton and a bit more pace and strength around the middle third.

Hard to know at this stage but I think our bench is stronger this year, probably a year to early for Jason McGee but he's the long term solution there and hopefully O'Baoill and to a lesser extent McGonigle or Carroll give us more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

The good news is that both Ulster SFC Championship games are being shown live on BBC 1 Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Hope the ref brings his tape measure with him on Sunday.
    I`d be surprised if Fermanagh do not cut the pitch width to the minimum. Can see this being a real dog fight around midfield. Keep our heads,(Murphy especially as they will target him), put the work in in the middle and we have enough up front to have them chasing the game for the last 15. Only one winner in that scenario

• Advertisement

Happy enough with the starting team.

Wonder if Niall O'Donnell injured or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Happy enough with the starting team.

Wonder if Niall O'Donnell injured or what.

Was thinking that myself. Leo just provides more physicality in whats going to be a rough and ready opening 20 mins??

Good to go in ahead. Some poor decisions/execution but can't fault what we are trying to do given what we are up against.

Good to have Paddy back but he's been poor enough from play. O'Baoil has been disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

charlie14 wrote: »
    Not much chance that Derry will do us a favour and take out Tyrone, but I live in hope.
    Other than 93, and Declan`s previous time in charge (Joe Brolly excluded), I`ve never had much against Derry so good luck to them.
    Even Brolly has kinda grown on me over the years

Weak mindset. I hope you beat Fermanagh here for a game in the ulster championship worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »
    It’ll be tight anyway for the first 20. We need to be ahead of them at HT. and if we are then we’ll beat them by 6-10 points

As expected

• Advertisement

Paddy Mc G and Stephen Mc immense I thought.
    Ryan put in a big shift as always but not near his best. Looked leggy early in the second half.
    Daire O Baoill off the pace big time. But he will come. Poor communication in the middle sometimes for the breaks. I.e. once there was two free men behind Hugh when he jumped and he broke it forward. Other than that a good shift from the 2. Not much else other than we need Jamie Brennan on that form in at least one half every day. Some lovely scores from Paddy and Thompson too. Alot of wides but in fairness youll get that in the game like today. Paddy probably hit some of the worst which is understandable.
    Cant afford to give Tyrone that space through our defence. Number 2 cut us open alot. Need a good marshall at number 6 for them, possibly Frank.

Just my opinions folks. Good to be back Thank feck the premier league is over and championship has began.

Weak mindset. I hope you beat Fermanagh here for a game in the ulster championship worth going to.

Seems I got the mindset of Tyrone wrong over the years, especially during the Jim Mc Guinness management years. I never realised they were such strong supporters of Donegal when we played any other county in the Ulster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Decent enough second half. A bit open at the back I thought. Some decent teams in the pot tomorrow morning. There will be a lot of counties hoping not to draw Fermanagh because they'll just bore them to death.

Thought the u20's where poor. Not able to match Tyrone in the physical stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Seems I got the mindset of Tyrone wrong over the years, especially during the Jim Mc Guinness management years. I never realised they were such strong supporters of Donegal when we played any other county in the Ulster championship.

I'm convinced it's a parody account.

dog_pig wrote: »
    I'm convinced it's a parody account.

If the poster expects me to somehow believe Tyrone have never wished for another county to take us out of the Ulster championship when our next meeting should we win was with them, then it is more comedy gold than parody. :D

If the poster expects me to somehow believe Tyrone have never wished for another county to take us out of the Ulster championship when our next meeting should we win was with them, then it is more comedy gold than parody. :D

Comedy gold would us beating yourselves and losing in the final. Tyrone love the backdoor regardless.

You play pure puke football and I hope we utterly destroy you however.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Comedy gold would us beating yourselves and losing in the final. Tyrone love the backdoor regardless.

See what I mean?

dog_pig wrote: »
    See what I mean?

Not only do I see, I am heartbroken that the lovely glow I was experiencing from the good wishes from this poster for yesterdays game were all a charade.

Aah well. My own fault really. I`ve been around long enough that by now I should know the true character of your average Throne supporter.

Is tin foil hat Mickey talking to RTE yet?

Tyrone love the backdoor regardless.

Is that you Cathal?

• Advertisement

Is that you Cathal?

He prefers Fergus apparently.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    Then again looking at your behaviour on here I’d say your to young to remember Tyrone’s glory days of the noughties.

Ah lads, please don't feed the trolls.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    Then again looking at your behaviour on here I’d say your to young to remember Tyrone’s glory days of the noughties.

Tyrone have been adventurious in years when we probably created "puke football".

No trolling here pal. Im just doing joe brolly's job for him on the forums. If you went on and won the complwte championship id be over the absolute moon.

Bit of a half assed troll that doesn`t appear to realise how easy it is to see his postings from yesterday in the 2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship thread if he thinks anyone is going to believe he would be over the moon if Donegal went on to win the AI. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note:

Strabanimal has been advised to no longer post in this thread and to cut out the anti Donegal rhetoric across the forum.

Satisfying win yesterday.

We were patient, we tried to use whatever width there was to drag them out of shape and when they had to chase the game, we pissed about in our own half until they came out and allowed us to break effectively.

Was great to see Paddy McBrearty back. Not a perfect performance by any means, but one lovely point. Was worried he was going to do something stupid with Cullen nipping at him. I thought he made a poor decision not to go for goal and put us well out of sight when Niall O'Donnell put him through. It didn't matter in the end.

I was just thinking that Michael was having a very quiet game when he popped up with a wonderful score. Great to see.

Jamie Brennan worthy as man of the match. What a great wee player. It's not just Michael or Paddy we need to rely on anymore.
    Thought Paddy McGrath had a fine game too, on a day when not many shone or could shine that much. Feared the worse when he was carded, I was on the far side of the ground, and haven't seen it back so can't say if he was fortunate.

Patton hit some nice kicks. Could have went to Thompson again in the second half on the right and instead kicked it into a 2 v 2 situation which I thought was strange.

Not sure about O'Baoil or Thompson, didn't think either did that well.

As said above, still concerned by our defence. Can't put that down to being more adventurous in my view, it's something else.

Hard to know what Sunday means, if anything, for the game in 2 weeks time. That will be a different 'animal' altogether.

Satisfying win yesterday.

We were patient, we tried to use whatever width there was to drag them out of shape and when they had to chase the game, we pissed about in our own half until they came out and allowed us to break effectively.

Was great to see Paddy McBrearty back. Not a perfect performance by any means, but one lovely point. Was worried he was going to do something stupid with Cullen nipping at him. I thought he made a poor decision not to go for goal and put us well out of sight when Niall O'Donnell put him through. It didn't matter in the end.

I was just thinking that Michael was having a very quiet game when he popped up with a wonderful score. Great to see.

Jamie Brennan worthy as man of the match. What a great wee player. It's not just Michael or Paddy we need to rely on anymore.
    Thought Paddy McGrath had a fine game too, on a day when not many shone or could shine that much. Feared the worse when he was carded, I was on the far side of the ground, and haven't seen it back so can't say if he was fortunate.

Patton hit some nice kicks. Could have went to Thompson again in the second half on the right and instead kicked it into a 2 v 2 situation which I thought was strange.

Not sure about O'Baoil or Thompson, didn't think either did that well.

As said above, still concerned by our defence. Can't put that down to being more adventurous in my view, it's something else.

Hard to know what Sunday means, if anything, for the game in 2 weeks time. That will be a different 'animal' altogether.

A mention should go to management as well. Good move to start McLoone in what was going to be a physical game. Subs used well I thought and great to see McGlynn come in. One lovely ball in that came close to creating a goal chance and a nice ball for Langans point. McGrath had a blinder and not sure if he was brought off for an injury or if management felt he was maybe a bit too fired up after the yellow card.

O`Baoil didn`t have a great day, but he looked to be trying to push it to nail down a regular place when yesterday required calm cool and collected. Thompson hit a beauty though (11th ?) when McBrearty has taken a look and didn`t fancy it. Brave I thought.

Brennan excellent, McBrearty work his way into the game and finished strongly, Murphy.... well Murphy is Murphy a real class act. Good games from Gallagher and McMenamin. Nice to see Patton catching a high ball under the crossbar and couldn`t be faulted on his kickouts in general.Nice point from McGee and although we didn`t win too many breaks at mid-field it was a very congested area for most of the day.
    One worry would be our defense. When they ran directly at us we looked jittery at times.

Good to see that we kept our discipline with the amount of provocation that was going on.

Basically we did what we had too do without ever looking in any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

A mention should go to management as well. Good move to start McLoone in what was going to be a physical game. Subs used well I thought and great to see McGlynn come in. One lovely ball in that came close to creating a goal chance and a nice ball for Langans point. McGrath had a blinder and not sure if he was brought off for an injury or if management felt he was maybe a bit too fired up after the yellow card.

O`Baoil didn`t have a great day, but he looked to be trying to push it to nail down a regular place when yesterday required calm cool and collected. Thompson hit a beauty though (11th ?) when McBrearty has taken a look and didn`t fancy it. Brave I thought.

Brennan excellent, McBrearty work his way into the game and finished strongly, Murphy.... well Murphy is Murphy a real class act. Good games from Gallagher and McMenamin. Nice to see Patton catching a high ball under the crossbar and couldn`t be faulted on his kickouts in general.Nice point from McGee and although we didn`t win too many breaks at mid-field it was a very congested area for most of the day.
    One worry would be our defense. When they ran directly at us we looked jittery at times.

Good to see that we kept our discipline with the amount of provocation that was going on.

Basically we did what we had too do without ever looking in any trouble.

What provocation?

• Advertisement

eamonpk wrote: »
    What provocation?

ha.

Advertisement