Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Only listened on the radio but looks like we finally put together a decent half of football after 5 and a half games.

Good to see Niall O'Donnell kick some crucial scores. He's been given a lot of opportunities so far in the league and hasn't really played that well but it should help his development.

O'Baoill needs to start next week as he will be a key player for us this year.

Sets it up nicely for next week as Kildare have a good chance of being promoted if they win. Think we're almost certain to go up if we win. Why is it in Ballyshannon?!?

We always play once a year in ballyshannon in the league for the same reason we play once a year in Letterkenny. Politics. However, we have a good result in ballyshannon so I am not too put out by this. If our last game was in Letterkenny, I would be very worried indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

eddie73 wrote: »
    Incorrect. If we all finish on 10 points then head to head goes out the window and it goes down to points scored.

If that is the case, we need to win and Fermanagh need to win by a large margin to overtake our points difference.

I would say if we win v Kildare we are good, but it depends on what sort of a team Meath put out v Fermanagh. If they are going to give a few new lads a run and keep their first team fresh for the division 2 final, it gives Fermanagh a better chance of a win, but I am not sure they are good enough to chalk up a high tally, they usually grind out results and are defensive.

You sure about that ?
    Is the head to head not the first consideration rather than points scored if we all end on 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

IF Donegal, Fermanagh and Meath all end up on 10 points AND Donegal and Fermanagh both have the same points difference, then it seems Fermanagh would win the tie breaker on head to head.

It's not the most unlikely scenario at all. They are 3 points worse off than us.

Meath just need to keep Fermanagh close next weekend. Hard to see enough of a swing against them to have them lose out on points difference.

Hard to see Fermanagh being able to cut loose all of a sudden. It we can win by 3 or 4 I think we will go up.

My mistake. I thought the head to head rule was the first consideration for three teams on the same league points as for two.

I could be wrong too.

Either way, we should just focus on beating Kildare and forget about Fermanagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I could be wrong too.

Either way, we should just focus on beating Kildare and forget about Fermanagh.

No you are right. The only circumstance that head to head comes into the equation is if 2 of 3 teams on the same points are level on score differential. Assuming we win by a point v Kildare, Fermanagh would have to beat Meath away by 4 points to level with our points scored, thereby gaining second by their head to head record v us. I cant see that happening, but I could see Kildare beating us or drawing with us on the back of recent form and what is at stake.

Having said that, we showed good character in the 2nd half v cork and Kildare are not playing well by all accounts. We are also in Ballyshannon which has been a good ground for us in the past.

I fancy our chances.

Hard to tell what the 2nd half will bring with this wind. 12 points could be a dangerous lead....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hard to tell what the 2nd half will bring with this wind. 12 points could be a dangerous lead....

Bonner should know from playing on a wind swept leitir. Remember playing against Na Rossa in similar wind conditions. We (st. nauls) were 15 to nil down at half time against the wind. We won 16-15 playing with wind.

1-16 to 0-5. Kildare down to 14 men

1-17 to 0-8 11 minutes remaining

• Advertisement

1-17 to 0-8 11 minutes remaining

1-20 to 0-10 final score

Up we go again.

Definitely the best performance I have seen this year.

At half time, hard to know what to make of it. Donegal had the wind, and made good use of it taking lots of shots and scoring well. Put Kildare kick out under huge pressure. Kildare looked very poor, but you figured some of that was down to the conditions. Second half would surely be a different story.

But, it wasn't really. To be fair, a big reason for this could have been that Kildare wrtee down to 14 and sometimes 13 for most of the half. I didn't see what Doyle got the black card for - Ref seemed to indicate a pull, assume it was off the ball. As for the red card, well somebody certainly deserved a black card for hauling down Murphy off ball, I just wasn't sure that it was Flynn, and I was surprised that he had already been booked.

Anyway, not out problem. Played out the half well. Brennan took his goal well, end of a good move - bit like last week in Cork I believe.

Most pleasing was the form of O'Donnell and Gallen, who both worked hard and struck the ball very well.

Murphy was just OK tbh. Some nice touches, some poor ones too.

Good to see Daire Ó'Baoil put in a good shift. He will be an asset. Disappointing that no sign of Carroll yet. Not sure what that means for the rest of the year.

I think we should be able for Meath next weekend if we are about ourselves at all. Defence was a bit better today, but still a concern. Midfield got the job done, somehow. A lot of firepower, even without Paddy.

Feel a bit better about going to Enniskillen now. It will be a **** show all the same.

Was a pity Fermanagh didn't win. Would have meant that they would have missed out on promotion despite beating Donegal and Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

So there we go. Leg one of the trifecta up. Best performance of the year so far no question. Kildare where cat malogen altogether but as the man says, we can only beat what's put in front of us. What was refreshing to see is that we mixed up the type of play a lot and use the kick pass more often when needed. It's infinitely more appealing to the eye than that crap we played v Fermanagh earlier in the season. Thought Murphy did alright actually. He gave one horror pass away late in the second half but given the game was done and dusted at that stage together with the ground he covered I can forgive him. His point in the second half was the score of the game.

At the risk of sounding negative given we've just been promoted I've a few comments. Daire O'B is a good (and needed) addition to the team but he needs to reduce his tendency to carry the ball into the opposition.Reminds me of a young EBG in the Ulster final a few years back where he coughed the ball up 4 times v Tyrone. Also, I'm just not convinced on Caolan McG as a starting 15. Of the games I've seen him in this year (McKenna and league) he just...just.....doesn't light the stage up. I think he's the type of player that will never win a MOTM award. If Frank is back to full fitness I'd swap them out, or, what about this, move Daire O'B up to half forward and Ward back into half back or swap CMcG and Ward outright. I think Caolan Ward has had a good season thus far and more dynamic that the Buncrana man.

Brennan needed to score a goal yesterday. If he hadn't, and the possibility of Paddy Mc coming back later in the season his place could be under threat. O'Donnell and OG took some very good long range shots, and in O'Ds case, it's good to see him become more of a team player than his glory hunting days of the McKenna cup. Does Paddy McG warrant a starting slot come championship? I'm not so sure. All in all, I'm delighted we're back playing div 1 football next year. I know some guy posted earlier about not worrying to much about which division we play in, but as a supporter I'd far rather watch us playing Kerry/Mayo/Dublin etc than Tipp/Clare and the sh1te football Fermanagh play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We were good. Kildare were diabolical.

Happy to get another game and a run out at HQ. #bringbackpapa

Papa had his 'Playoff Beard' on Sunday.

MAMG gone by all accounts. Papa being announced on the bench got a bigger cheer than any of the starting 15!

Wonder what the story is. Happy to compete for his place or has DB made some promises?

Patton is decent. Maybe takes too many chances with some of his kicks, but has makings of a really good GAA keeper (already a decent shot stopper from his time playing Foreign Sports). I'd put him ahead of Papa at the same stage of his career (based on my dodgy memory).

But would I love to see Papa back in action this summer? Yes, yes I would. Assuming he is as good as he was in 2014 (one moment aside).

Wasn't at the game but by all accounts a good performance and improvements in different facets of our play. Great to hear that there was more use of the kick pass especially between the defensive lines. Going to croker on Saturday. Meath were unlucky in ballybofey so would be nice if the team could show that result wasn't a fluke. Also, every game in croke park is important for the younger fellas.
    Btw, anyone know when Patrick Mc brearty is back?

Wasn't at the game but by all accounts a good performance and improvements in different facets of our play. Great to hear that there was more use of the kick pass especially between the defensive lines. Going to croker on Saturday. Meath were unlucky in ballybofey so would be nice if the team could show that result wasn't a fluke. Also, every game in croke park is important for the younger fellas. Btw, anyone know when Patrick Mc brearty is back?

I'm hoping Saturday is more like Laois in 2011 than Monaghan in 2014.

Well, according to Donal Reid a few weeks ago, Paddy was back in training.

His fellow Red Hughs clubman confirmed same in an interview with the 42 this week. Running at least.

Would we start him against Fermanagh? Do we need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any season ticket holders here? I've 3 adult tickets for free for Saturday if anyone has 3 to swap for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I wouldn't really be expecting much on Saturday tbh. No matter what Declan (or McEntee) says, this is a non event and will be used to try out a few things but will lack any real intensity. Leitrim fans aside I wouldn't think there will be much enthusiasm in the stands either. I know the players all want to play in Croke Park so would never agree to move it but I don't think too many will make the journey from the north west somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

But would I love to see Papa back in action this summer? Yes, yes I would. Assuming he is as good as he was in 2014 (one moment aside).

It's a shame he didn't get a game in the league as it's impossible to know what level he's at. Could he play on Saturday?

I like Patton as a keeper and think he'll improve as he gets more experience. Papa had the big advantage of being able to thump a kick out in the general direction of Big Neil odd the short one wasn't on. Last year year we were cleaned by Dublin and Tyrone when we went long which wasn't really Patton's fault.

• Advertisement

DSH reporting Paddy McBrearty will play for Kilcar in the opening round of the league on Sunday week.

Read it and weep Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd say they will be 20,000 there on Saturday between the 4 teams. And they'll never be there at the one time!

If Donegal's preparation is right we should have a little too much for Meath.

Atmosphere will be pure ****e.

Given the teams involved, Clones would have had plenty of capacity.

Leitrim probably want and deserve their day in Croke Park which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Lofidelity

5 lower Cusack, section 303 row RR for sale. €15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Michael Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Michael Murphy.

Jesus that was tough going for 74 minutes.

Without wishing to take anything away from Meath but between ourselves in the first 15 mins and the ref, we did our best to make a game of it. Neil McGee coming on for a new appearance record settled us down and we went on to play some lovely football even if our kick-out strategy (or lack off ) was a problem as was mid-field at times.
    Some lovely scores, Gallen, Jamie Brennan were really on song. Murphy yet again was unreal. Room for improvement in certain areas but to go negative on the day that`s in it after coming back from 8 down to win by 2 would be a bit churlish.
    Nice to see Frank Mc Glynn making an appearance.

Not to tempt fate this far out, but with everyone available we could be looking at a long summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

charlie14 wrote: »
    Without wishing to take anything away from Meath but between ourselves in the first 15 mins and the ref, we did our best to make a game of it. Neil McGee coming on for a new appearance record settled us down and we went on to play some lovely football even if our kick-out strategy (or lack off ) was a problem as was mid-field at times.
    Some lovely scores, Gallen, Jamie Brennan were really on song. Murphy yet again was unreal. Room for improvement in certain areas but to go negative on the day that`s in it after coming back from 8 down to win by 2 would be a bit churlish.
    Nice to see Frank Mc Glynn making an appearance.

Not to tempt fate this far out, but with everyone available we could be looking at a long summer.

I thought Ryan McHugh had a great game and did damage for ye. He would have been my man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I thought Ryan McHugh had a great game and did damage for ye. He would have been my man of the match.

Really? Now I was at the match so might have missed a lot. I really didnt feel he was that good. Did I totally miss it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Really?

Yep, Meath were playing with a lot of men behind the ball and his running opened them up IMO.

Advertisement