Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I thought Ryan McHugh had a great game and did damage for ye. He would have been my man of the match.

Maybe I`m that used to seeing him ghost past opposition players that I didn`t full appreciate his contribution, but for me Neil McGee putting the clamps on Newman, who was running riot until he was brought on, was a major turning point. And while I could not fault anything he did in the first half, when Michael Murphy moved up front he was outstanding and created havoc. So for me he was a very deserving man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Well that was harmless fun. In the end it was men against boys, even though some of our men are still boys. Oisín Gallen made a shaky start and showed poor decision making with the wide from the endline. By the time the final whistle blew he was revelling in the space around Croke Park. He never shirked responsibility and his work rate is impressive. He'll be some player by the time he starts shaving.
    Jason McGee and Niall O'Donnell put in effective shifts. They kicked nice scores, used the ball well and O'Donnell's pass for the goal was sublime.
    I never like seeing a player hauled ashore early, especially a young lad. Brendan McCole has had a good campaign but he was all at sea tonight. Declan was ruthless in making the changed but it was necessary otherwise the outcome may have been different. It is appropriate that Neil broke the record in Croke Park. He has been a great servant for the county and one of the best players ever to grace the jersey.
    Our forward options are exciting. With a full compliment we could match any county. There are still a few issues to be resolved defensively but we are moving in the right direction. Our workrate is good, we have a nice mixture of physicality and pace although we still struggle to contain direct runners.
    It may only be in years to come that the full extent of what Michael Murphy has given our county. He makes the game look easy but, more importantly, he is totally selfless in his approach. He is the ultimate team player. It was good to see Hughie lift the cup alongside him. Hugh is as honest as they come.
    The shadow boxing is over, let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Oisín Gallen made a shaky start and showed poor decision making with the wide from the endline. By the time the final whistle blew he was revelling in the space around Croke Park. He never shirked responsibility and his work rate is impressive. He'll be some player by the time he starts shaving.

Good post, lol, aye Gallen needs to fill out a bit, doesn't he.

Was a very satisfying day after all. Most of the first hslf was very disturbing, with McCole getting skinned every time Meath kicked the ball in. Yeah, he needs to shoulder some of the blame, but there was no pressure on the pass and we needed a full time sweeper to cut it out. A lot of development needed if he is to be our full back for the future.

Gallen, O'Donnell and Jamie Brennan the highlights for me. Great to see the confidence even after bad starts. Lovely goal. When we click, we can play some really nice football.

Hugh McFadden put in a big shift. Can't fault the effort. We need to get better at managing things when he knocks the ball down however. Too much lost that way.

Patton had two bad moments. One of those skimmed kicks to the wing that we saw a few times last year and will haunt him one of these days. And then he kicked the ball to Ryan McHugh in a scenario that looked too like the ****e we saw in Tipperary. Still, some very good kicks too. Will never have the presence of Papa but not many will.

Eoghan Bán vital to us.

Ryan was poor by his standards. A number of bad errors that cost us. In fairness to him, he was signaling to come off at least 5 minutes before he was finally subbed.

O'Baoil needs to start every game now.

Was Leo injured? Couldn't really understand that switch - Doherty is overrated as a man marker tbh. I'd rather see McFadden Ferry thrown in.

Don't get or like the Eoin McHugh substitutions mind you. Would be good to see Carroll back in that role or even Marty O'Reilly, who seems to be out of favour.

And we had Paddy McBrearty in the warm up. Looked in good shape.

Still rely a lot on Michael. And that's fine, supporting cast will develop, but nobody like him on the horizon. Need to get him one more crack at the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Rubbish first half much better second. No pressure on Meath outfield players put our back line under serious pressure. When we started to contest totally different result. Best play of game was a meath first half point. Three kick passes and a point. Not too keen on our tendency to solo out from our defense until we come into contact. Much prefer we kick long into open spaces. Very impressed with gallen and Jamie Brennan. Murphy unreal second half. Roll on Fermanagh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I couldn't help but notice how Hughie was looking at Murphy as they lifted the cup.

Well done the lads. Showed great steel and resolve. With all the talk of McBrearty's comeback from injury, the return of Gillespie would be welcomed when he does. I hope he stays injury free, especially with Neil putting mileage up and our defensive issues.
    Great shooting from young Oisin, what a dream start to a first day out in Croker with the seniors.
    I can't see this team doing anymore than last year but will be a force to be reckoned with in 2-3yrs if everyone commits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Paddy McGrath; One thing he does better than any other player on the team is getting the fu&k out of the defence as quickly as possible with the ball. He has done that so many times down the years to release the pressure. He travels some ground. The passing it around near the end is never comfortable viewing. McGrath made one surge near the end up along the hogan and when he got to Meath's 30 metre line he lays to E McHugh who kicks it 30 metres back into our defence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

charlie14 wrote:
    Without wishing to take anything away from Meath but between ourselves in the first 15 mins and the ref, we did our best to make a game of it.

First 15 mins between urselfs and referee u did most to make a game of it does take away from Meaths performance.

This is not the first time Donegal have struggled v Meath recently. Donegal are a stronger team , Ulster champions and a top 6 team. Donegal have lots of potential and are All Ireland contenders in the next few years. They are stronger and further down the road in terms of team development then Meath. They won Ulster last year and were playing Dublin in Super 8 in Croker last year and played in divsion 1 last year and have All Ireland winners on their team and panel. Donegal are a young team but much more further down the road in terms of team development then Meath. Meath are young team also but in early stages of development. This was this Meath teams first game in Croker. When Meath last played in Croker 2 and half years of the starting 15 that day v the Dubs only 3 of that starting 15 started yesterday v Donegal. Those 3 players were Donal keoghan Michael Newman and Cillian Sullivan.

Meath were very impressive in the first half. This wasnt down to Donegal letting them have a game of it. Its because Meath are the most improved team in the country in last 10 months going from 15th or 16th to 8th or 9th in the country in every rankin I have saw. Meath topped division 2 this spring after good performances v kildare and Armagh. And also Meath were very very unlucky not to be beat All Ireland finalist Tyrone in the championship last summer seen they were a point ahead in 6th min of injury time and lost in the following extra time.

Meaths performances v Donegal over the last two years and this year show Meath are no mugs. Meath have played Donegal three time in two years and Meath really put it up to Donegal in those three games and went toe to toe with Donegal for 70 mins and the game was won in injury time. So maybe if this was a one off u could say Donegal allowed Meath to play in the first half but this is the third time this has happenned in two years.

2017 Meath 1 - 14 Donegal 1- 15
    A Very good game were both teams played well. The sides were level 9 times. Meath were ahead with 60 mins to go. Donegal levelled and both teams were level after 70 mins. Paddy McBreaty scored a brillant point to win by 1 point in injury time

2018 Feb Meath 0- 14 Donegal 1-13
    Meath were much the better team for 60 mins playing really good football. A bizzare goal for Donegal and Meath confidence was knocked . Donegal took control in the last ten minutes. Got ahead and cleverly held onto possesion like they did yesterday in last 5 mins. Donegal win by two in injury time.

2018 March Meath 1 - 15 Donegal 1-17
    Meath were excellent in the first half again for the third game in a row v Donegal in two years. 5 points up at half time. Donegal were very good in second half. But for third game in a row in two years Meath were ahead of Donegal coming up to 60th minute. Donegal got ahead and similar to the game in February cleverly held onto the ball in last 5 mins and won by two in injury time.

So Donegal won all the games because they are stronger team. But seen this is the third game in two years and second game in weeks that Meath went toe to toe with Donegal for 70 mins and played some really good football v Donegal . I think it would be untrue and inaccurate to paint the first half as some sort Donegal not trying , Meath flash in the pan scenario , Donegal lacking intensity, when in the 3 last meetings of the counties have all followed similar patterns. Very close tight games that were decided in injury time. People might be thinking this is the Meath that has struggled in the last few years. That was that Meath team. This is a new Meath that only startin off in its development in this spring. The team that started yesterday had 6 changes to team that were very unlucky to lose to Tyrone the All Ireland finalist. Yesterday was a brilliant game which both teams contributed to. We know how good Donegal r but Meath are improving. And it is unfair and inaccurate to paint the match as some sort of Donegal didnt try til half time or Donegal made a game of it by not perfoming. If u believe that then I dont how you can explain the last 3 performances between both counties were Meath also played well in. Meath deserve credit for their performance. Fair is fair.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    First 15 mins between urselfs and referee u did most to make a game of it does take away from Meaths performance.

This is not the first time Donegal have struggled v Meath recently. Donegal are a stronger team , Ulster champions and a top 6 team. Donegal have lots of potential and are All Ireland contenders in the next few years. They are stronger and further down the road in terms of team development then Meath. They won Ulster last year and were playing Dublin in Super 8 in Croker last year and played in divsion 1 last year and have All Ireland winners on their team and panel. Donegal are a young team but much more further down the road in terms of team development then Meath. Meath are young team also but in early stages of development. This was this Meath teams first game in Croker. When Meath last played in Croker 2 and half years of the starting 15 that day v the Dubs only 3 of that starting 15 started yesterday v Donegal. Those 3 players were Donal keoghan Michael Newman and Cillian Sullivan.

Meath were very impressive in the first half. This wasnt down to Donegal letting them have a game of it. Its because Meath are the most improved team in the country in last 10 months going from 15th or 16th to 8th or 9th in the country in every rankin I have saw. Meath topped division 2 this spring after good performances v kildare and Armagh. And also Meath were very very unlucky not to be beat All Ireland finalist Tyrone in the championship last summer seen they were a point ahead in 6th min of injury time and lost in the following extra time.

Meaths performances v Donegal over the last two years and this year show Meath are no mugs. Meath have played Donegal three time in two years and Meath really put it up to Donegal in those three games and went toe to toe with Donegal for 70 mins and the game was won in injury time. So maybe if this was a one off u could say Donegal allowed Meath to play in the first half but this is the third time this has happenned in two years.

2017 Meath 1 - 14 Donegal 1- 15
    A Very good game were both teams played well. The sides were level 9 times. Meath were ahead with 60 mins to go. Donegal levelled and both teams were level after 70 mins. Paddy McBreaty scored a brillant point to win by 1 point in injury time

2018 Feb Meath 0- 14 Donegal 1-13
    Meath were much the better team for 60 mins playing really good football. A bizzare goal for Donegal and Meath confidence was knocked . Donegal took control in the last ten minutes. Got ahead and cleverly held onto possesion like they did yesterday in last 5 mins. Donegal win by two in injury time.

2018 March Meath 1 - 15 Donegal 1-17
    Meath were excellent in the first half again for the third game in a row v Donegal in two years. 5 points up at half time. Donegal were very good in second half. But for third game in a row in two years Meath were ahead of Donegal coming up to 60th minute. Donegal got ahead and similar to the game in February cleverly held onto the ball in last 5 mins and won by two in injury time.

So Donegal won all the games because they are stronger team. But seen this is the third game in two years and second game in weeks that Meath went toe to toe with Donegal for 70 mins and played some really good football v Donegal . I think it would be untrue and inaccurate to paint the first half as some sort Donegal not trying , Meath flash in the pan scenario , Donegal lacking intensity, when in the 3 last meetings of the counties have all followed similar patterns. Very close tight games that were decided in injury time. People might be thinking this is the Meath that has struggled in the last few years. That was that Meath team. This is a new Meath that only startin off in its development in this spring. The team that started yesterday had 6 changes to team that were very unlucky to lose to Tyrone the All Ireland finalist. Yesterday was a brilliant game which both teams contributed to. We know how good Donegal r but Meath are improving. And it is unfair and inaccurate to paint the match as some sort of Donegal didnt try til half time or Donegal made a game of it by not perfoming. If u believe that then I dont how you can explain the last 3 performances between both counties were Meath also played well in. Meath deserve credit for their performance. Fair is fair.

My apologies if you thought I was having a cut at the Meath team. That was not my intention. If anything it was a cut at my own county if anything on the basis of that old saying "you can only beat what is put in front off you". Meath took some excellent scores in that 15 min spell but we assisted in that what we put in front of Meath wasn`t good enough at this level. For starters Mickey Newman is one of the best full forwards in the game, and Saturday he underlined that, yet we left him more or less one on one with our full back. McColl is getting a bit of stick for the roasting Newman gave him,but at that level he should not have been left in that position, nor should Meath have been left to pick him out with ball seemingly at will.
    My comment on the referee was he was very inconsistent in what he termed a fair tackle and his blowing up Michael Murphy to take a mark when he clearly wanted to play on with a clear road to goal was bizarre imo.
    Again, it was not my intention to insult that Meath team in any way. You are now in Division One on merit and if you had failed to reach it because of the result in Ballybofey where you deserved to win, then it would have been daylight robbery.
    Meath for the last few seasons, especially under Andy McEntee, have got a nice bit of wind back in their sails, and come the championship their is no team that will be looking forward to meeting them.

Fair enough, I took u up the wrong way completely, my fault, I was over top . Apologies.

Fair enough, I took u up the wrong way completely, my fault, I was over top . Apologies.

No problem, and no need for apologies as I didn`t feel your post was in any way over the top. You genuinely felt my post, (and when I read it again I could see why), was having a go unfairly at your team which wasn`t my intention whatsoever. We played you twice this year and were damn lucky on both occasions to get the results we did.
    That is a fine developing Meath team that for the good of the game, especially in Leinster, is sorely needed. I can see you giving the Dubs a serious rattle playing the way you now do. If there is one area they are vulnerable in it is that early ball into their back line, and with the likes of Newman you have players that can cause them serious problems with that tactic.
    One way or another I can to see Meath making the Super 8`s this year. Especially with Newman back on board. Very very unlucky not to make it last year by losing to our beloved neighbours :mad: Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thought the ref was dire on Saturday myself tbh.

Thought the ref was dire on Saturday myself tbh.

His umpires weren`t much better, but at least he got the square ball right. Other than that he looked out of his depth. His interpretation of a fair tackle was all over the place and that call back on Michael Murphy for a mark was strange to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

When Murphy tackled a fella near the end he went down holding his head tetvthe contact wasn’t to his head. He stated down for a few minutes while the hanlin was ongoing. I hate that this is in our game now. And we are as bad, or worse than most.

Player goes down, physio and doctor come on and follow the charade. Needs to stop.

doc_17 wrote: »
    When Murphy tackled a fella near the end he went down holding his head tetvthe contact wasn’t to his head. He stated down for a few minutes while the hanlin was ongoing. I hate that this is in our game now. And we are as bad, or worse than most.

Player goes down, physio and doctor come on and follow the charade. Needs to stop.

Totally agree, and we are no better than the rest. Yellow card or 10 mins in the bin would cut that out fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

He'll be some player by the time he starts shaving.
    :D:D

charlie14 wrote:
    No problem, and no need for apologies as I didn`t feel your post was in any way over the top. You genuinely felt my post, (and when I read it again I could see why), was having a go unfairly at your team which wasn`t my intention whatsoever. We played you twice this year and were damn lucky on both occasions to get the results we did. That is a fine developing Meath team that for the good of the game, especially in Leinster, is sorely needed. I can see you giving the Dubs a serious rattle playing the way you now do. If there is one area they are vulnerable in it is that early ball into their back line, and with the likes of Newman you have players that can cause them serious problems with that tactic. One way or another I can to see Meath making the Super 8`s this year. Especially with Newman back on board. Very very unlucky not to make it last year by losing to our beloved neighbours Tyrone.

No problem. I feel I overreacted . I was after listening to two Dubs on tv. ( Cantwell and Whelan) saying things like that first 20 mins was strange and giving Meath no praise whatsoever for first half display. Not for the first time Dubs wouldnt give Meath us any praise. So thats why I came in all guns blazing.

I think Meath can take allot from the league. It has been a very sucessful league campaign. But we have done the easy part going from 16th to 9th. The hard part is to go from 9th to 6th or 7th and stay there. Roscommon kildare and Cavan have failed to do that. Only Galway have done that in recent years. I think we can do it. But its going to be so tough. We are far from finished article and there is issues at midfield and the forwards. We need Jones back at midfield next year. And we need two quality forwards next year also to come aboard. I have worries that we will suffer a bad defeat or two in championship v laois Dublin or team in backdoor. And if we reach super 8 3 games in 3 weeks v division 1 teams is to much for promoted div 2 team, look at Roscommon last year. But overall I am optimistic regards the future and the underage talent coming thru cud be difference in us surviving in div 1.

Again Congrats to Donegal. U have serious quality football team. Murphy is an all.time great. U r not div 2 team u r top 6 team. And its pretty obvious u have a team that will become All Ireland contenders in the coming years and I personally expect Donegal to win Sam.with this team around the years 2022 2023 2024. Exciting times for all Donegal supporters ahead with such an exciting young team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I think Meath played really well. Remember Meath have won four all irelands since 1987. A county with a strong pedigree. I've noticed they tire dramatically in the second half of the games I've watched. Traditionally Meath were stronger finishers and yes Donegal are further down the track in terms of conditioning and experience. I'd love if we could copy some of meath's moves from the first half.

No problem. I feel I overreacted . I was after listening to two Dubs on tv. ( Cantwell and Whelan) saying things like that first 20 mins was strange and giving Meath no praise whatsoever for first half display. Not for the first time Dubs wouldnt give Meath us any praise. So thats why I came in all guns blazing.

I think Meath can take allot from the league. It has been a very sucessful league campaign. But we have done the easy part going from 16th to 9th. The hard part is to go from 9th to 6th or 7th and stay there. Roscommon kildare and Cavan have failed to do that. Only Galway have done that in recent years. I think we can do it. But its going to be so tough. We are far from finished article and there is issues at midfield and the forwards. We need Jones back at midfield next year. And we need two quality forwards next year also to come aboard. I have worries that we will suffer a bad defeat or two in championship v laois Dublin or team in backdoor. And if we reach super 8 3 games in 3 weeks v division 1 teams is to much for promoted div 2 team, look at Roscommon last year. But overall I am optimistic regards the future and the underage talent coming thru cud be difference in us surviving in div 1.

Again Congrats to Donegal. U have serious quality football team. Murphy is an all.time great. U r not div 2 team u r top 6 team. And its pretty obvious u have a team that will become All Ireland contenders in the coming years and I personally expect Donegal to win Sam.with this team around the years 2022 2023 2024. Exciting times for all Donegal supporters ahead with such an exciting young team.

Div 1 is tough but if you look at last years Div 2 final compared to this years, Meath are an away better team than Cavan or Roscommon were last year and with your results in the league this year you are a far more consistent team than Kildare who are very erratic, so I would not put Meath in the same boat as any of them when it comes to Div 1 football. We also played both Cavan and Roscommon last year in the championship and tbh, they were poor.This present Meath are away better than either.
    I`m not saying it is going to be easy in Div 1, but you have a good crop off young lads coming through and you are always difficult to beat in Navan so I would not have any great fear of you not holding your own in Div 1.

We look good up front at the minute, but there are problems at mid-field that need work, I don`t think we got our hands on a breaking ball there on Saturday, and our defence is a bit creaky, so serious work needed in both areas if we are going to push on. Murphy is something else alright, as somebody said on Twitter a few days ago we should put a bronze statue of him at every crossroads in the county .Probably the best full forward in the game, but unfortunately we do not have the luxury of leaving him in there at present.

I think Meath played really well. Remember Meath have won four all irelands since 1987. A county with a strong pedigree. I've noticed they tire dramatically in the second half of the games I've watched. Traditionally Meath were stronger finishers and yes Donegal are further down the track in terms of conditioning and experience. I'd love if we could copy some of meath's moves from the first half.

Some great movement from them in the first half. I actually thought their kick-passing was better than some of their teams that won All Irelands.

They scored one beauty that from their kick out until it sailed over our crossbar took 18 seconds apparently.
    They did seem to tire 2nd half, but that will not be a great problem for them going forward. Just a bit of conditioning work that I`m sure McEntee will work on getting right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

Be interesting to see who leaves, or doesn’t rejoin, the panel now and heads to America.

• Advertisement

Big fundraiser in Ardara this Saturday in memory of Pat Shovelin. Some line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Big fundraiser in Ardara this Saturday in memory of Pat Shovelin. Some line up.

Saw that in the Democrat but Niall Morgan and Peter Harte are hardly likely to play, are they?

Saw that in the Democrat but Niall Morgan and Peter Harte are hardly likely to play, are they?

Jebus. Whatever about Harte....

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Jebus. Whatever about Harte....

Indeed. My thoughts exactly.

Both played.

Paddy back playing for Kilcar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

1554672291090.JPG--.JPG?1554672291000

No harm to him, but Paeder Mogan seems a bit short for Aussie Rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The news on the Odhrán front doesn't appear to be good.:mad:

• Advertisement

The news on the Odhrán front doesn't appear to be good.:mad:

What’s the craic?

Advertisement