Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Glenman wrote: »
    We possibly have McGee, McGrath and McGlynn to come into the team but maybe they are not good enough this year to make the team.
    McBrearty will be a great bonus when he is fit, I suppose it will be hard for him to hit top form if he comes back straight into the Ulster championship.

We are not exactly rock solid at the back with what we have now. Admittedly Paddy McGrath was a bit off his usual a few games last year, but Frank McGlynn had a great year so after a bit of a rest I wouldn`t expect any did huge dip in form. McGee is as always a bit of an enigma.
    It might take Paddy McBrearty a while to get up to match pace, but even on half throttle he is vital if we are going anywhere this year. He was sorely missed last year in the super 8s. Cost us at least an AI Semi appearance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

charlie14 wrote:
    He was sorely missed last year in the super 8s. Cost us at least an AI Semi appearance imo.

At least, eh?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    At least, eh?

In my opinion, the season he was having, had we had him against Tyrone in Ballybofey we would have bate them home. Even against Dublin for their "home" game we would have given them a better rattle.

Meath and Fermanagh both win

Meath have Clare away and Fermanagh at home

Fermanagh away to both Armagh and Meath

Donegal away to Cork and home to Kildare

Could lose out on head to head v Fermanagh if we don't win our last two games.

If we win our last two, then either Fermanagh to lose their two, or Meath lose one, with the head to head rule, seems to be our only realistic way of getting promoted with the score difference ?

Looks as if the CCCC are showing a bit of interest in the Sheridan stamping incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yeah, I think we need Armagh to do us a favour and beat Fermanagh in the next round. That way it would be a winner take all between Meath and Fermanagh in the last round. Of course if we win both our matches and Fermanagh beat Meath then it could end up with 3 teams on 10 points so as you say our scoring difference could go against us then. Ideally Clare beat Meath in the next round to clear the way for us! :P All that said, who can be confident we will win our last two matches!

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Yeah, I think we need Armagh to do us a favour and beat Fermanagh in the next round. That way it would be a winner take all between Meath and Fermanagh in the last round. Of course if we win both our matches and Fermanagh beat Meath then it could end up with 3 teams on 10 points so as you say our scoring difference could go against us then. Ideally Clare beat Meath in the next round to clear the way for us! :P All that said, who can be confident we will win our last two matches!

Two tricky enough games.

Cork will have got a boost from winning at the weekend but are in danger of dropping to Div 3.

Kildare the team I feared most have under performed so far. 9 points would still leave them in contention, if like ourselves, other results went their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Just need to win the next two which we are capable of. No point worrying about permutations, if it's enough to go up then so beit, if not, it's our own fault with the pathetic capitulation in Semple Stadium.

Just need to win the next two which we are capable of. No point worrying about permutations, if it's enough to go up then so beit, if not, it's our own fault with the pathetic capitulation in Semple Stadium.

True enough. As sore as the Fermanagh result was, the second half performance against Tipp, when we had the game in the bag, is what has really left us where we are.
    Saying that can we for the love of God drop fixtures in, what has been well named here by a poster, the Indian burial ground in Letterkenny.

charlie14 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the season he was having, had we had him against Tyrone in Ballybofey we would have bate them home.

For what it's worth, I disagree.

There was much more than just Paddy lacking in that performance in Ballybofey.

And we had the chance to atone for that in Letterkenny, as well as deal with one of our rivals for promotion. We failed miserably.

It seems unrealistic to be going unbeaten, never mind a perfect record, but the fixtures were stacked in our favour.

Possibly the most disappointing thing so far is that nobody new/nearly new has really stood out, have they?

Caolan McGonagle has had his moments I suppose.

Eoghan Ban and Ryan McHugh have both been good, but we expect that.

Still time, but you would be kinda worried going to Enniskillen in May. Fair enough, that's a team we destroyed last summer, so maybe I am foolish to even think it, but it would be good to see some encouraging performances between now and then.

The likes of McGrath, MacNiallais, McBrearty and maybe even Carroll could make a big enough difference. McFadden-Ferry, O'Baoil and Mulligan are all wild cards for different reasons. Not counting on anything from Gillespie. And then you have the chance that Neil McGee and Frank McGlynn could roll back the years. So there is upside.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, I disagree.

There was much more than just Paddy lacking in that performance in Ballybofey.

I would not disagree that missing Paddy McBrearty was the one and only reason that we lost in Ballybofey, but up until his injury in the Ulster final he was having the season of his life and was nailed on for an All Star.
    Even if he did little up until they turned the screw with there substitutions, on the day he would have been the options up front to go long that we didn`t have.
    Hypothetical, but would they have won without Harte or Cavanagh?
    I doubt it, and I would not see us missing McBrearty as any less than them missing either.

McElhinney gone from panel.

Don't think it is much of a loss to be honest.

Shame. A very popular lad in the panel and has bags of experience.

I'd say he's probably done for good. He certainly got a lot out of his inter-county career.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

McElhinney gone from panel.

Don't think it is much of a loss to be honest.

Maybe not based on the last couple of seasons but McElhinney got a number of important scores for us during Jim's tenure. He's only 30 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Was only going to be a bit part player at best from now on anyway, maybe he's thinking of a summer in the states. How much longer is Marty Reilly going to hang about for.

The hurlers lost to Warwickshire.

#(insertmanagername)out

Good to see Sheridan getting a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

You would think it was in Armagh's interest not to bring up the referee and decisions from the game given some of the incidents their players were involved in. Judging by the last week though apparently not.

dog_pig wrote: »
    You would think it was in Armagh's interest not to bring up the referee and decisions from the game given some of the incidents their players were involved in. Judging by the last week though apparently not.

We're well used to their carry on by now.

10 years since they last won an Ulster championship, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Although it does weaken them against fermanagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Irelandfan1990

Many heading down to cork for the game next weekend. Know the 2pm throw in time has put a lot of people off can't understand why they couldn't of had it later in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Many heading down to cork for the game next weekend. Know the 2pm throw in time has put a lot of people off can't understand why they couldn't of had it later in the day

Aye, hoping to head down. Their hurlers are playing in Nowlan Park at 2. I imagine Cork folk would rather watch a meaningless hurling playoff game than their footballers. And those who aren't hurling fans are probably rugby fans. Would imagine the bulk of the crowd will be Donegal, just like in Tipp, and sure didn't that go great for us.

I have noticed this happening quite a bit this year - Derry away to Waterford and Limerick was at odd times.

I assumed this was to make it easier for players and home supporters, rather than away supporters, who probably wouldn't bother anyway.

I was looking forward to heading to Cork, for a night out on the Saturday and and chance to finally see 'De Páirc'

But then, other stuff happened and the game was moved to where we normally play Cork.

The place will be as good as empty at 2 on Saturday I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Is 2pm not a better time? Any later and people would be on here giving out that they won't get home until all hours!

Long trip for us but I'd expect is to win with Murphy starting and a few others back was well. I'd like to see O'Baoill get some game time to see if he's an option for the summer.

Just saw the Cork team, don't recognise half of the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sounds very poor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sounds great now!

Good scoring. Good result in Armagh too.

Only listened on the radio but looks like we finally put together a decent half of football after 5 and a half games.

Good to see Niall O'Donnell kick some crucial scores. He's been given a lot of opportunities so far in the league and hasn't really played that well but it should help his development.

O'Baoill needs to start next week as he will be a key player for us this year.

Sets it up nicely for next week as Kildare have a good chance of being promoted if they win. Think we're almost certain to go up if we win. Why is it in Ballyshannon?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

charlie14 wrote: »
    Between Ballybofey, Ballyshannon and Letterkenny we are like the followers of Moses. Geographical spread of games for supporters ,but regardless of why we are in Balyshannon the real question is why are we ever in Letterkenny.

Beat Kildare and we go up by my reckoning. Meath win today and they are on ten. Ourselves and Fermanagh win next week three of us on 10 and we go up instead of Meath on the head to head rule. We win and Meath win both go up.

Incorrect. If we all finish on 10 points then head to head goes out the window and it goes down to points scored.

If that is the case, we need to win and Fermanagh need to win by a large margin to overtake our points difference.

I would say if we win v Kildare we are good, but it depends on what sort of a team Meath put out v Fermanagh. If they are going to give a few new lads a run and keep their first team fresh for the division 2 final, it gives Fermanagh a better chance of a win, but I am not sure they are good enough to chalk up a high tally, they usually grind out results and are defensive.

Advertisement