Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

eamonpk wrote: »
    What provocation?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Good to get the win. I don’t know if we will beat Tyrone though. They seem to be going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

doc_17 wrote: »
    Good to get the win. I don’t know if we will beat Tyrone though. They seem to be going well.

The Tyrone game will let us know exactly where we are for the year. Barely got out of second gear in Division Two, and did what we had to do to get over the line on Sunday.

While a formidable team, we shouldn't be afraid of them whatsoever, we're reigning Ulster champions, and we possibly would have beaten them last year without the major injuries we suffered in the run up

The injuries and the brutal refereeing decision that allowed Cavanagh go stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The injuries and the brutal refereeing decision that allowed Cavanagh go stay on.

While these are valid points I do think they’re just a bit better though and a couple of years ahead in their development.

I’m not sure how we’ve levelled the playing field since August. Paddy is back which is great but we’ve lost Odhran so it’s breaking even. Just have to wait and see because nobody really knows where we are at.

• Advertisement

While these are valid points I do think they’re just a bit better though and a couple of years ahead in their development.

I’m not sure how we’ve levelled the playing field since August. Paddy is back which is great but we’ve lost Odhran so it’s breaking even. Just have to wait and see because nobody really knows where we are at.

They probably are a bit further forward in their development, but with them now looking as if they have changed their style of play along the lines of how Declan has us playing I`m not sure they really know where they are at either.
    From the bits I have seen of their Derry and Antrim games, a bit like ourselves, they look to have problems when their defense is run at.

Great to have Paddy back against them as I felt he really could have been the difference against them in Ballybofey, but then it is swings and roundabouts with Odhran missing.
    The one positive I have from this year so far compared to last, is that in the bear pit of Brewster against Fermanagh we looked a lot more composed throughout than we did against Cavan in Ballybofey last year. Something that followed on from the Meath game where after a terrible start their was no panic and we calmly went about reeling them in once we got our act together.

I think having Paddy back outweighs Odhran missing. Outside of the Roscommon game last year, where they were an already defeated team, Odhran hasn’t done a pile for us recently. Maybe having McGeee back levels out the Odhran not being involved. Would that be a fair statement?

And just to be clear....he is a wonderful player who I’d love to see 100% committed but he’s just not that into us.

I think having Paddy back outweighs Odhran missing. Outside of the Roscommon game last year, where they were an already defeated team, Odhran hasn’t done a pile for us recently. Maybe having McGeee back levels out the Odhran not being involved. Would that be a fair statement?

And just to be clear....he is a wonderful player who I’d love to see 100% committed but he’s just not that into us.

No.

The guy is one of the best footballers in the country. He would add another level to our play. No use crying over spilled milk etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

he’s just not that into us.

Agree with Nidge on his abilities but I think this quote sums it up so no point really going over it, we need to move on.
    As to where both teams stand, I think it would be hard to argue that Tyrone are not a bit further down the road than us. They are semi finalists 2 years ago, finalists last year and are looking strong so far this year. That said, we have two players in our side that I feel are better than anything Tyrone have in Murphy and McBrearty.
    Tyrone will have an edge on us around the middle I feel, they are physically that bit stronger than us. I also wonder who will pick up McShane who has looked very impressive so far this year. Does Neil have the legs to go with him? Maybe McMenamin is better suited to that job. Can Ryan find his form in time?
    I wouldn't say I'm confident but we certainly won't fear them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Is the Donegal v Tyrone semi in Cavan, i thought it would be in Clones.

• Advertisement

No.

The guy is one of the best footballers in the country. He would add another level to our play. No use crying over spilled milk etc though.

I don’t think he is one of the best footballers in the country. He’s good, but when have you ever looked at him and thoughts he’s won a game for us on his own, or even got a MOTM display? Class club player but he hasn’t replicated on the inter county stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Whatever about Tyrone being further ahead in development, last year in Ballybofey Donegal led from before half time until the 62nd minute and realistically should have seen the game out from that position. MacNiallais going off and the subsequent substitutions seemingly caused them to unravel.

dog_pig wrote: »
    Whatever about Tyrone being further ahead in development, last year in Ballybofey Donegal led from before half time until the 62nd minute and realistically should have seen the game out from that position. MacNiallais going off and the subsequent substitutions seemingly caused them to unravel.

There bench compared to ours on the day made the difference. Hopefully a year further on ours will be stronger than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In my opinion, our fitness/strength and conditioning was way off last year.

Lately, we have been finishing games strongly. But at a lower level.

Throne could afford to rest Harye, Donnelly, and one other I can't recall in the 2nd half last week.

But they have lost Brennan (could say he turned the game) Bradley and O'Neill (both are decent players).

We have lost home advantage. But, we have Paddy McBrearty back, and some more besides.

It should be quite a struggle. I hope we are up to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who have they on the bench though, they don't finish on their best team do they ? or am I missing something. Not now anyway since the other lad retired.

On the outside looking in Donegal have better players. Possibly the best player in the country, a top full back. Two or three execellet forwards (that's excluding Murphy) A couple of tricky little bast**ds. One of the best corner backs in the game.
    A very good free taker.
    I don't know if Durcan can get fully fit again but when fit he's a top keeper, better than most IMO mainly because he's so solid under pressure, he'll make football mistakes but doesn't crack as often as many others. Think he's about the same age as Cluxton, I hope that picture of him out of shape is old.

Again looking in, Donegal have a squad that could set up in more ways than any in Ulster imo.
    Murphy is a genuine top class option in two or three positions.

Yet Tyrone seem to be doing a better job making the most of what they have and are still improving.

Donegal don't have a management team like Tyrone, again all in my opinion but MH has shown he can adapt better than many of gave him credit for myself included.

I'd agree that the older lads like Toye are gone who could come off the bench and have a big say in the last 20 minutes, but Tyrone aren't bursting with those guys either.

We'll see but I think if Tyrone win it will be due to systems and strategy rather than a better bench or footballers.

The match ups should be great. I'm looking forward to this one.

Apart from injured players who don't have a full game in them, Tyrone don't seem to hold better players on the bench. If you are ahead of them by a few points at the end I don't see subs coming on to catch up.

They'll come on to hold out, but not catch up.

Stoner wrote: »
    Who have they on the bench though, they don't finish on their best team do they ? or am I missing something. Not now anyway since the other lad retired.

On the outside looking in Donegal have better players. Possibly the best player in the country, a top full back. Two or three execellet forwards (that's excluding Murphy) A couple of tricky little bast**ds. One of the best corner backs in the game.
    A very good free taker.
    I don't know of Durcan can get fully fit again but when fit he's a top keeper, better than most IMO mainly because he's so solid under pressure, he'll make football mistakes but doesn't crack as often as many others. Think he's about the same age as Cluxton, I hope that picture of him out of shape is old.

Again looking in, Donegal have a squad that could set up in more ways than any in Ulster imo.
    Murphy is a genuine top class option in two or three positions.

Yet Tyrone seem to be doing a better job making the most of what they have and are still improving.

Donegal don't have a management team like Tyrone, again all in my opinion but MH has shown he can adapt better than many of gave him credit for myself included.

I'd agree that the older lads like Toye are gone who could come of the bench and have a big say in the last 20 minutes, but Tyrone aren't bursting with those guys either.

We'll see but I think if Tyrone win it will be due to systems and strategy rather than a better bench or footballers.

The match ups should be great. I'm looking forward to this one.

Apart from injured players who don't have a full game in them, Tyrone don't seem to hold better players on the bench. If you are ahead of them by a few points at the end I don't see subs coming on to catch up.

They'll come on to hold out, but not catch up.

I wasn`t saying their bench is better than ours this year. I was referring to the Super 8 game in Ballybofey last year where for me anyway the difference was the two benches. That day we were 4 points up on 62 mins Their subs made a big impact when they went in whereas ours had little or none.
    I think we are stronger this year than last. Better composure and understanding of what we are trying to do as a unit, and that our bench is stronger, but that is based tbh on a good recovery after a terrible start against Meath in the Div 2 final and against Fermanagh Sunday.

Hopefully that is enough to have us those few points ahead (happy with one) when the long whistle goes.

Papa is as unfit as the pictures suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    In my opinion, our fitness/strength and

To me that was the most obvious thing in the game last year. We simply ran out of steam against a fitter opponent and it showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Last years game against Throne was lost on the line hopefully Rochford will be of benefit in this department

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Last years game against Throne was lost on the line hopefully Rochford will be of benefit in this department

I don't think we would have beat Armagh, Cork, Meath were it not for Rochford - we haven't been great at chasing the game under Bonner or Gallagher. Nor would we have ended the Meath and Fermanagh matches in the manner in which we did without his influence.

Drawing their players out by playing keep-ball, Murphy as our deepest player (which is ok by me when we're trying to keep possession, as he rarely loses it) reminded me of Dublin toying with us at the end of the Super 8s last year.

If we had the same idea against Tyrone last year, we would have won in MacCumhaill Park.

We're a significantly better team than we were last year, and Tyrone are only marginally better. Expect a game similar to the Donegal/Monaghan match in 2016 (the drawn game or the replay).

• Advertisement

I don't think we would have beat Armagh, Cork, Meath were it not for Rochford - we haven't been great at chasing the game under Bonner or Gallagher. Nor would we have ended the Meath and Fermanagh matches in the manner in which we did without his influence.

Drawing their players out by playing keep-ball, Murphy as our deepest player (which is ok by me when we're trying to keep possession, as he rarely loses it) reminded me of Dublin toying with us at the end of the Super 8s last year.

If we had the same idea against Tyrone last year, we would have won in MacCumhaill Park.

We're a significantly better team than we were last year, and Tyrone are only marginally better. Expect a game similar to the Donegal/Monaghan match in 2016 (the drawn game or the replay).

Tbh I`m not sure what Rochford has brought or just what influence he has during a game.

Against Fermanagh from what I could see it was just Bonner and Lacey patrolling the sideline.
    Rochford made his name with a Corofin AI club champions side that play the type of football we appear to be aspiring too, but as far as I could see as Mayo manager his brief seemed to be to tighten up a defense that had a habit of leaking easy goals. If he is with us based on his Corofin days, then I can see the fit, but if it is based on his Mayo days in that before he came in our defense looked leaky, I cannot see where there has been a major improvement. We still look rocky at the back when we are run at.

There is also the whole Lacey retired from management when he came in, then Lacey is going to Roscommon and then Lacey is back and seems to be during match day Bonner`s right hand man.

I know players when asked in interviews have praise Rochford for what he ha brought during training but I am starting to wonder is the training pitch the only influence he has.

On one hand I am hoping we can keep it tight similar to the two 2016 Monaghan games, on the other both those games were heart attack country.

We certainly look a better team than last year with our movement, ball handling and awareness up front, but at the back, although improved, still shaky at times. In mid-field we still do not seem to get much joy when it comes to winning breaking ball.
    Tyrone while looking good against Antrim, has to come with the caveat that Antrim are no great shakes, but they still found holes in that Tyrone defense, admittedly when the game was over, but Derry also gave them problems at times. They have changed their style somewhat and look more potent up front because of it, but the big question for me is has that left them weaker at the back and if it has can we punish them for it.

There's nothing that we have seen in 2019 that allows us to say that with any certainty. In reality, our league form was poor given the standard of opposition. We haven't a clue where we are at and won't know until 7pm on Saturday.

Personally, I'm just not sure what we've done that to have closed the gap enough to beat them, and Odhran is a big loss. Will travel in hope more than expectancy but t'was ever thus.

Agree 100% with Nidge, except on the MacNiallais point which I won't get into now.

We have beaten nobody of any great note since Declan returned. We missed a great opportunity last year at home to Tyrone when we were Ulster Champions and it was a winner takes all scenario.

But, it was a rebuilding year last year, and we did make some progress, which was welcome, but, we need to kick on again this year. Promotion was a good start, but I think it's important to win, or at least be within a kick of the ball of winning on Saturday to show we have really improved.

Disappointed to be missing the game tomorrow.

Will be watching around Boston in some format TBD. Noon is a respectable time to start drinking.

No idea how it will go. I think expectations have been tempered this year which is good, but hopefully the players and management know they have a point to prove and play with a chip in their shoulder.

Paddy McBrearty was not firing on all cylinders against Fermanagh so hopefully there is more to come tomorrow. Another tigerish display from Paddy McGrath would go down well.

If you see Ronan McNamee, give him the respect he deserves and make sure Niall Morgan gets the necessary encouragement everytime he kicks the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I'm not that optimistic. Think we're a bit better than last year but Tyrone have also improved.

Wouldn't be surprised if Eamon Doherty started instead of McLoone or even Langan if Declan is going defensive.

I think we need a really big game from Murphy, McHugh or McBrearty and hopefully some of the younger players can chip in.

Would be a massive win for us. Can only think of beating Armagh in 07 as a comparison of when we finally beat a team who had the upper hand on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

This game is going to be massive for Bonner's reign, mainly because Donegal have failed to beat a big team under him yet. Players have to feel they can get over the line against the bigger teams and beating Tyrone today would be massive in terms of how far this team feel they can go.

The fitness is there this year I think. That was a major issue last year but it's going to be different this time, they'll be able to match Tyrone for sheer endurance hopefully. Donegal's bench has improved as well but Tyrone are playing a more fluid and expansive game which should make it interesting.

I think Murphy might have to produce a couple of outstanding scores for Donegal to win this one but it is winnable at the same time.

Donegal by 2 points.

Wouldn't be surprised if Eamon Doherty started instead of McLoone or even Langan if Declan is going defensive.

Christ no.

Eoin McHugh ahead of O'Baoill?

What a half. Brilliant. Kick on lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This is very satisfying so far...

Advertisement