Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

If has you say they are former members surely there information can not be used unless of course they are members of another Gaa club either way they could make better use of their time

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Aaron Doherty has joined the set up; such a pity he didn't join sooner and could've had his chance to settle during the league. Good to see all the same. Lots of positive talk about him.

Should he not be with the under 20's?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Should he not be with the under 20's?

Same could be said with young Oisin Gallen but let him at it. The fella could well be starstruck being in the same dressing room at Frank, Neil McGee, Murphy, etc etc but what an opportunity to see how they tick.

2 former club members put in the report would you believe

Hmm. It sounds like they may have left on bad terms?

But, whether they did, or not, complaints about a charity match for someone who had contributed so much to the club doesn't really make them look very good!

I can't see it doing their popularity levels any good, I'll put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d say there’s a reason they aren’t with the 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’d say there’s a reason they aren’t with the 20s.

I think we are all adults here and realise what he is actually saying. If anyone needs help translating let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone at the Minor game last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Murphy14 wrote: »
    If has you say they are former members surely there information can not be used unless of course they are members of another Gaa club either way they could make better use of their time

When whatever this event entailed was over, then they could have found better to be doing with their time than lodging a complaint, but there are a few things with this event that are questionable imho.

Was it actually Naomh Colmcille who were organising this event or was it someone else?

If it was Naomh Colmcille without sanction by the GAA then unless they had taken out separate insurance cover they were leaving themselves open to a world of trouble if anyone playing or attending was injured.
    The other thing I do not get is with this being a worthy cause for a member of the club, why it was not a GAA game where there would have been no problem with it being sanctioned.

With it being a soccer match, then to me at least, it sounds as if the proposal came from outside the Naomh Colmcille club, so why not play it on a soccer pitch?

It was a charity event for a well known club member who has a truly horrible disease. I don't see anything questionable in that.

Oisín Gallen dislocated his shoulder playing for MacCumhaills this afternoon.

That could be it for him this summer. Very disappointing after his displays in the League.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It was a charity event for a well known club member who has a truly horrible disease. I don't see anything questionable in that.

I`m not questioning if it was a worthy cause for a Naomh Colmcille club member with a horrible disease.

Just questioning why it was a soccer match on a club pitch that not having been sanctioned left the club without the insurance cover a GAA event would have been covered by.
    Seems a bit foolish of Naomh Colmcille with the compensation culture that is rife nowadays if they were the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

The sporthub articles I read said they werent the organisers....
    also I could have sworn I read somewhere that the pitches had been used by a local soccer club until recently when it dissolved / merged and the parish leased it to the GAA... cant find the article though. Have in my head it was Brendan Devenneys article on RTE but the wonders that be in our national broadcaster are currently linking that headline to "Best Folk Album" so cant check.

Sad news on Gallen, thought he was great in the Div2 final

overshoot wrote: »
    The sporthub articles I read said they werent the organisers....
    also I could have sworn I read somewhere that the pitches had been used by a local soccer club until recently when it dissolved / merged and the parish leased it to the GAA... cant find the article though. Have in my head it was Brendan Devenneys article on RTE but the wonders that be in our national broadcaster are currently linking that headline to "Best Folk Album" so cant check.

Sad news on Gallen, thought he was great in the Div2 final

With Naomh Colmcille looking to have this event sanctioned by the GAA, whether that pitch is leased or not and the now proposed ban, to me at least that would suggest it is vested in the GAA.

Unless the organisers were taking out their own insurance, then the club were taking a hell of a chance as their own insurance would not have covered any potential claims from not just players, but anyone attending.

That is tough on young Gallen. He really did look the real deal against Meath. Declan Bonner is not having great luck what with Mc Brearty last year and now with McNiallias and Gallen.

Anyone at the Minor game last night?

Yeah, Donegal were better in general play but their finishing let them down. Tyrone were clinical. That was the difference.

Oisín Gallen dislocated his shoulder playing for MacCumhaills this afternoon.

That could be it for him this summer. Very disappointing after his displays in the League.

Heard he was taken out it. Sad to see, he would have been an option to come off the bench.

It seems the shoulder was popped back in right there.... A scan might reveal better news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »
    Yeah, Donegal were better in general play but their finishing let them down. Tyrone were clinical. That was the difference.

Gary Duffy out moaning about the ref then. We need to have a look at where we're going with U-17 management because we can do a lot better than this.

Aye, this is why I was looking for an eye witness report. Seems to be too much whining about the ref.

Aye, this is why I was looking for an eye witness report. Seems to be too much whining about the ref.

I didn’t think the ref was too bad. He gave more scorable frees to Tyrone but I didn’t think they were hard done by. And they scored them. We missed a couple of handy enough frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Advertisement

Only somewhat.

Why couldn't the County Board levy a token, or no punishment, with no financial element, and then bring this to Congress next year to try and ensure it doesn't arise again.

It's a ridiculous rule and makes the ethos look like a joke.

Not much chance that Derry will do us a favour and take out Tyrone, but I live in hope.
    Other than 93, and Declan`s previous time in charge (Joe Brolly excluded), I`ve never had much against Derry so good luck to them.
    Even Brolly has kinda grown on me over the years

We got enough favours last year.
    I'd rather win Ulster the hard way this year rather than kid ourselves.

We got enough favours last year.
    I'd rather win Ulster the hard way this year rather than kid ourselves.

A lot to be said for that argument. Especially when you see the weekend results from a team that beat us away in the league, Tipperary, and one that in all fairness should have beat us at home, Meath.
    That said, unlike the other three provinces Ulster has over the years been as much a war of attrition as a competition, so I wouldn`t be too much against the odd handy title such as last year. At my age, a lot easier on the old ticker than the normal.

So we are all quietly confident then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'm confident and not quiet about it.

We should be beating them, they're muck.

That's the talk!

Absolutely. Don't get dragged into an arm wrestle. Don't be afraid to go after them early, make them chase the game.

It’ll be tight anyway for the first 20. We need to be ahead of them at HT. and if we are then we’ll beat them by 6-10 points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

At least it's not in Letterkenny so I'm confident!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

So what will the team be?

Patton
    McGrath
    McGee
    McMenamin
    O'Baoill
    McLoone
    Gallagher
    McFadden
    McGee
    McHugh
    O'Donnell
    Thompson
    Brennan
    Murphy
    McBrearty

That would leave McCole, Doherty, McGlynn, Ward, Brennan, McGonigle, Langan, Eoin McHugh, Carroll, McFadden Ferry and Durcan as subs.

I'm probably missing someone, presume Gallen is injured. McGettigan may make the bench as we're a bit short of forwards.

Advertisement