Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I'll have to give it a polish actually over the weekend, any recommendations? Muc-Off is the best out there is it?

Done 940 miles since i bought it.

I wash mine every week I use deals equivalent of muc-off . once a month I cover it with acf -50 and use aluminum oil polish on swingarm ect.
    I use nearly every day as it is my only transportation.
    I do an average of 300 miles a week
    My bike looks clean and shining one a month ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

ZX7R wrote: »
    I wash mine every week I use deals equivalent of muc-off . once a month I cover it with acf -50 and use aluminum oil polish on swingarm ect.
    I use nearly every day as it is my only transportation.
    I do an average of 300 miles a week
    My bike looks clean and shining one a month ha

I was using the dealz version of it myself but got freaked out by ayoutube video that says the stuff is corrosive to materials.

ACF 50 is something i have long meant to try.

I have a car as my main daily transport and would rack up similar mileage to yourself, now that summer is almost here i think those roles need reversing :D

do you polish the downpipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was using the dealz version of it myself but got freaked out by ayoutube video that says the stuff is corrosive to materials.

ACF 50 is something i have long meant to try.

I have a car as my main daily transport and would rack up similar mileage to yourself, now that summer is almost here i think those roles need reversing :D

do you polish the downpipes?

Yes I polish the downpipes but it burns off fairly quick, I've a full stainless steel system so not to worried,I worry more about the cooling rads getting blocked with road grime, even with an extender on the mud gard.

One you don't let the deazls spray dry out nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Tax disc on the reg. ;)

The muc off is the best pre cleaner I've used, can nearly clean the bike with it alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I'll have to give it a polish actually over the weekend, any recommendations? Muc-Off is the best out there is it?

Done 940 miles since i bought it.
    Muck off is good but be careful that you rinse it off well after, It is fairly corrosive if left to dry and make sure it does'nt find it's way into any cables especially the throttle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It ****ed up the powder coating on my old BMW wheels.

It's very corrosive !!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

That was some heavy rain earlier, my Richa Nomad ‘waterproof’ boots gave in, home with wet feet, everything else stood up well. Boots are 2yrs old, but time for a change I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I always wear out the soles of boots before they start leaking.

This morning, my green light at a crossroads was green for several seconds before this car came steaming through the red light. When I caught up with it it had a big "CHOOSE LIFE" sticker on the back :rolleyes:

Don't think they were even Wham! fans :cool: wasn't my life they were choosing, anyway...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭horse7

Maybe everyone knows but bikes are toll free on M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

They're all toll free.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

zubair wrote: »
    They're all toll free.... ;)

Yeah, if you have your tax disc covering your plate and you time it just right :cool:

Had to take the car in this morning, gear was still soaking when I went to put it on this morning, didn't fancy riding 40km in the equivalent of a damp towel. Boots are just over 4 years old and are beginning to show signs of their age, started to leak slightly yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

https://www.overlanders.ie/2019/04/04/open-weekend-sat-6th-and-sun-7th-april-2019/

Anyone been to something like this?

Thinking of going.. tongue in cheek but really I'd just love to try some of the bikes. Would there be an issue I've only had the full license 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

https://www.overlanders.ie/2019/04/04/open-weekend-sat-6th-and-sun-7th-april-2019/

Anyone been to something like this?

Thinking of going.. tongue in cheek but really I'd just love to try some of the bikes. Would there be an issue I've only had the full license 6 months?

Where's the test ride on the 2019 RSV4R?

Bought the pads for my moped from thevisorshop.com they ended up sending me organic when I selected and paid for sintered. They shipped me the correct ones at no extra cost and allowed me to keep the original set that was sent so I now have a spare set of pads for down the road. Very professional and no quibble whatsoever.

On a separate note I changed the pads and the squealing is still there, I’m hoping it’s only the ‘bedding in’ process.

I do recall using organic once before having looked them up properly , they wore out quicker but were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

blade1 wrote: »

Where's the test ride on the 2019 RSV4R?

I'm not too sure there is one for that bike. Looks like they are only having it on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So cold out in my town in Cork last night my battery is fúcked.

Got on the bike to get it running, got the choke out and got her up and going. Lowered the choke, engine cut out. No problem, it happens.

Pulled the choke out a bit and hear the dreaded sound of a dying/dead battery.

I'm not too sure there is one for that bike. Looks like they are only having it on display.

Well,bollocks to that so!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought the pads for my moped from thevisorshop.com they ended up sending me organic when I selected and paid for sintered. They shipped me the correct ones at no extra cost and allowed me to keep the original set that was sent so I now have a spare set of pads for down the road. Very professional and no quibble whatsoever.

On a separate note I changed the pads and the squealing is still there, I’m hoping it’s only the ‘bedding in’ process.

I do recall using organic once before having looked them up properly , they wore out quicker but were good.

Did you put any copper grease on the rear of the pads. This should solve the squeel.

listermint wrote: »
    Did you put any copper grease on the rear of the pads. This should solve the squeel.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Or better still use Ceratec, it won't eat the rubber boots like copper grease will if it gets on them.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Or better still use Ceratec, it won't eat the rubber boots like copper grease will if it gets on them.

Never used it when changing pads on cars over the years and never had problems, I’ll be out getting that stuff tomorrow morning in the local motor factors.

It’s this stuff yeah?

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/engine-oils-and-lubricants/products/109817/mintex-ceratec-anti-squeal-brake-grease?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWvT6U0qEmFKmzqgtFQWGY7mgD9h_Idun9ZrEklkZGERN4GeriycRHBoCjJoQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Never used it when changing pads on cars over the years and never had problems, I’ll be out getting that stuff tomorrow morning in the local motor factors.

It’s this stuff yeah?

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/engine-oils-and-lubricants/products/109817/mintex-ceratec-anti-squeal-brake-grease?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWvT6U0qEmFKmzqgtFQWGY7mgD9h_Idun9ZrEklkZGERN4GeriycRHBoCjJoQAvD_BwE

Yep thats the stuff, cars usually have antisqueal shims already on the backs of the pads. Bike pads are much smaller and thinner and rubber would ruin the brake feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Do not put any type of grease on the back of your pads.

Clean the callipers properly and you won’t get squealing.

Do not put any type of grease on the back of your pads.

Why not?
    I've been using ceratec for years and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Only overhauled the brake calipers and put copper grease on the back of four of the front pads:o

blade1 wrote: »
    Why not?
    I've been using ceratec for years and never had a problem.

Never had a problem in what way? Have you tried putting bleach on the back? You won’t have a problem with that either.

Manufacturers don’t put grease on pads. Brake pads makers say not to do it. Brakes are designed not to have it. It is potentially dangerous.

honda boi wrote: »
    Only overhauled the brake calipers and put copper grease on the back of four of the front pads:o

It’s an outdated technique.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

It’s an outdated technique.
    It might be outdated in your world but is still used by motorcycle mechanics and it works. :p
    As to the use of bleach. I think I will flush that idea down the toilet ;)

• Advertisement

Emmersonn wrote: »
    It might be outdated in your world but is still used by motorcycle mechanics and it works. :p
    As to the use of bleach. I think I will flush that idea down the toilet ;)

Works for what? Covering up an inadequate job of preparing callipers for new pads.

If the grease is over-applied it can run onto your disks. This is why I don’t like seeing it recommended to people that don’t understand.

It is worrying that pro mechanics are behind the times.

Advertisement