Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aj went life and death with an older, dethroned Vlad too. Fury absolutely dominated him weather your a fan of his style or not. Fury also dominated Wilder besides the KDs. How anyone can say with can say AJ is the best at the min with certainty is talking balls.

Haha I wouldn’t go as strongly as that but I agree. AJ needs to fight someone credible now but other than the two lads no one will rise his stock. But he does have the belts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Haha I wouldn’t go as strongly as that but I agree. AJ needs to fight someone credible now but other than the two lads no one will rise his stock. But he does have the belts

I think we can all agree no one wants to see Aj fight Whyte,
    Whyte is awful he was being beat by Chisora on the cards before he ko' him with a round to go and Chisora having 2 points deducted ,

AJ hasn't been impressive of late although he has done what he needed to do and won the fights

Looked awful v Takam ,
    Bet Parker on the cards who was beat by Whyte and should have lost to Hughey Fury ,
    Then fought AP who is well past it and was always to small ,
    Next fighting Whyte or Miller both are pants in my view

I know the division isn't deep but if he isn't fighting Wilder or Fury id like to see him fight Ortiz next,

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Ortiz is fighting in March so there is no chance of that. Miller is top 10. He's already beaten AP and Parker who are both top 10. He has to face pulev next year who is also top 10. Fury is fighting wilder so that leaves Miller and whyte.

Notable heavyweight fights coming up

Ortiz v Hammer
    Joyce v Stiverne
    Pulev v Helenius (Rumour)
    Kabyael v Rudenko
    Allen v Browne

Aj will fight Whyte
    Fury Wilder
    Miller v Trevor Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Looking at it from Sky's perspective they'll be gunning for two PPV's instead of one.

April 20th - Whyte v Breazeale running into Khan v Crawford double PPV.

June 1st - Joshua - Miller PPV.

Be surprised if its anything other than that at this point.

• Advertisement

So it seems millar? He’s a huge man but very slow and open to overhand right. Ko in 4/5. AJ finding it hard to make fights he’s had turkeys since wlad

Yeah a guy with the mobility of Miller is going to be bread and butter for Joshua's straight shots. Unless Miller has a chin made of iron he won't see the second half of the fight. Easy work for Joshua I'd expect. Will be interesting to see what numbers he does in MSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Yeah a guy with the mobility of Miller is going to be bread and butter for Joshua's straight shots. Unless Miller has a chin made of iron he won't see the second half of the fight. Easy work for Joshua I'd expect. Will be interesting to see what numbers he does in MSG.

He might have a chin alright but he has little power and can't have that much of an engine given his size. Late knockout or 12 round beatdown I think

He might have a chin alright but he has little power and can't have that much of an engine given his size. Late knockout or 12 round beatdown I think

Could be similar to Lacey calz I think. He could be very strong and durable but I think Joshua will eat him alive

Could be similar to Lacey calz I think. He could be very strong and durable but I think Joshua will eat him alive

I can't see AJ being as active as Calzaghe vs Lacey :pac:

• Advertisement

I can't see AJ being as active as Calzaghe vs Lacey :pac:

Will millar be as active as Lacey? Drawn to scale

Will millar be as active as Lacey? Drawn to scale

Half size, half speed, half the activity :pac:

From the fights I've seen of him his engine is actually great for his size. I'd be more worried about Joshua's gas tank than Miller's from what I've seen. Can't see Miller avoiding getting hurt early to get to the latter stages of the fight though.

Actually think Miller could be a good fight for most at heavyweight but he's absolutely ideal for Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I actually think Miller is a really tough fight for AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/487434/dillian-whyte-eddie-hearn-anthony-joshua/amp/

automatic rematch clauses should be outlawed in title fights by the governing bodies.
    it does a dis-service to boxing, boxers and fans, if a champion gets stopped in a fight he is losing and then is entitled to a rematch when a legitimate top contender has to wait.
    its actually part of corruption in boxing that these clauses can be written into contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...So the Tyson Fury night has been cancelled because of a phone threat...It's a pity, I was looking forward to it...Not overly surprised, as anything to do with this crowd seems to be a no go in Ireland... Really has put a negative impression on Boxing in Ireland...

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/boxing-news-at-five-fury-event-is-cancelled-after-phone-threat-wilder-vs-fury-ii-purse-bid-is-postponed-as-teams-near-agreement/

...So the Tyson Fury night has been cancelled because of a phone threat...It's a pity, I was looking forward to it...Not overly surprised, as anything to do with this crowd seems to be a no go in Ireland... Really has put a negative impression on Boxing in Ireland...

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/boxing-news-at-five-fury-event-is-cancelled-after-phone-threat-wilder-vs-fury-ii-purse-bid-is-postponed-as-teams-near-agreement/

Not just a phone treat , the campus was covered in graffiti to do with Fury and his association to MTK and there rumoured association with crime in Dublin,

To be fair DCU could not go ahead with it after that, not a chance they have college kids on campus all the time if something happened they would be seen as negligent

pac_man wrote: »
    I think that's a more challenging fight than Dillian Whyte.

Really ?
    How do you even come to that conclusion considering Miller has fought nobody of note at all ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Really ?
    How do you even come to that conclusion considering Miller has fought nobody of note at all ,

Would you rather see AJ fight whyte again?

Would you rather see AJ fight whyte again?

God no!!!! not at all Whyte is awful
    But.............. he is better than Miller who is an easier fight for AJ

God no!!!! not at all Whyte is awful
    But.............. he is better than Miller who is an easier fight for AJ

Possibly although outside of that one shot that straightened AJ in the whyte fight it was a pretty handy nights work all things considered. So the bar isn't very high.

Miller seems to have a slightly better gas tank compared to whyte and there's still that air of mystique surrounding his chin (it appears to be very solid but it hasn't really been tested) we know whyte can't take Aj's shots.

I just wouldn't be certain a rematch with whyte would be any harder.

Of the two options I was in the camp of preferring AJ vs Miller as a spectacle so perhaps thats colouring my opinion.

Possibly although outside of that one shot that straightened AJ in the whyte fight it was a pretty handy nights work all things considered. So the bar isn't very high.

Miller seems to have a slightly better gas tank compared to whyte and there's still that air of mystique surrounding his chin (it appears to be very solid but it hasn't really been tested) we know whyte can't take Aj's shots.

I just wouldn't be certain a rematch with whyte would be any harder.

Of the two options I was in the camp of preferring AJ vs Miller as a spectacle so perhaps thats colouring my opinion.

Miller is awful and will be a sitting duck for Aj, It'll be over by the 4th round if it even gets that far,
    There is a reason he has fought nobody ,because if he did he would lose,

At least Whyte looks to fight good fighters,
    He isn't the great by any means but at least he makes it a fight ,

Miller is awful and will be a sitting duck for Aj.

At least Whyte looks to fight good fighters,
    He isn't the great by any means but at least he makes it a fight ,

I agree with ya on the sitting duck part and on the Whyte part.

Its the AJ vs whyte compared to Aj vs Miller part I'm undecided on.

pac_man wrote: »
    Stylistically I think it's an interesting fight, particularly if and a big if, Miller can take a shot. I'm interested to see how Joshua deals with someone that is maybe 60 lbs heavier than him. How does he keep him off?
    Miller doesn't really show much finesse but he's bulldozing people. He's a big man and despite his weight, hasn't a bad engine.

The fight is in America and practically in Millers hometown so Joshua won't have his home comforts like his pro career or Olympics.

We've seen what happened in the first Joshua Whyte fight and I can envisage a similar outcome in a rematch. Both have improved since their first fight but Joshua won nearly every round in that fight before stopping him.

Miller will be a sitting duck and he won't get near AJ ,
    He can't move , gets hit a lot and he doesn't hit hard ,
    He will take a beating and be hit with so many clean shots he will be knackered by the 3rd or 4th

It'll be over before the start of round 5,

I agree with pac-man here, I really think this is an interesting fight. Miller is an absolute brute of a man, I'd agree there's not much finesse about him but he provides a very tough night I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Miller went 6 rounds with Cro Cop in K1 and wasnt near being finished either so I think his chin will stand up, but hes a sitting duck as said already imo because of his size.

ASOT wrote: »
    Miller went 6 rounds with Cro Cop in K1 and wasnt near being finished either so I think his chin will stand up, but hes a sitting duck as said already imo because of his size.

Wasn't that like 6 or 7 years ago though? Be a long way off prime Mirko...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wasn't that like 6 or 7 years ago though? Be a long way off prime Mirko...

He still won the grand prix that year, Miller took a good few smacks also and didnt budge. I still see Joshua beating him handy but just saying I think his chin will hold up.

Advertisement