Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i keep saying it...automatic rematch clauses in world title fights should be outlawed...the governing bodies should not allow them, and they should be the ones after the fight, not the promoters, to dictate if a rematch happens in the case of close fights......them rematch clauses are a part of the corruption in boxing in my eyes

"Governing bodies" can not, and should not, be allowed to say who fights who.

They can only say under what conditions a boxer can hold onto their specific "belt". That's fair enough as it is theirs to award and control. They can say "well if you have a rematch, we'll strip the title from the winner because we want boxer 3 to have next shot" but they can't stop two fellas from doing business if they want to outside their specific organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

"Governing bodies" can not, and should not, be allowed to say who fights who.

They can only say under what conditions a boxer can hold onto their specific "belt". That's fair enough as it is theirs to award and control. They can say "well if you have a rematch, we'll strip the title from the winner because we want boxer 3 to have next shot" but they can't stop two fellas from doing business if they want to outside their specific organization.

yea...thats a fair point looking for a different angle than i was at it.
    what i meant was promoters dectating rematches involving the title / belt fought for in the first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ali bit Price 4 times , what a disgrace he should never box again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ali bit Price 4 times , what a disgrace he should never box again

I’m gonna watch that tonight I was at a wedding and recorded it. Seems Price was well on top. The winner of Allen/Browne should make a good match up

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’m gonna watch that tonight I was at a wedding and recorded it. Seems Price was well on top. The winner of Allen/Browne should make a good match up

He was but still didn't look great

• Advertisement

He was but still didn't look great

Just took a look. That guy was terrible and price still didn’t blow him away. He looked a bit weary too. One more defeat will do him. Lovely guy and it’s a pity

Dave Allen would stop David Price. After 5/6 rounds I reckon Price would be exhausted and Allen would get to him.

Anybody who can go rounds and is reasonably durable has a very good chance to stop Price over a 10 or 12 round distance. There aren't many boxers that I have seen who get as visibly tired as Price.

Yep I’d agree with that. On Saturday there were signs that he was sucking air in even in the first round. I don’t see much evidence of him being coached to improve on his weaknesses either; hands far too low, chin in the air, doesn’t throw nearly enough jabs and not aggressive enough. That idiot had some success against him in round 4

pac_man wrote: »
    Has Dave Allen become a good boxer all of a sudden? I think people are seriously overrating his ability.

As soon as I wrote that reply I was thinking it was misleading. I agree about Price but not Allen. He’s got one flashy ko in a fight he was losing and looking poor. Bad looking survival brawl with whyte. He is durable though which would suit prices weaknesses

Has Dave Allen become a good boxer all of a sudden? I think people are seriously overrating his ability.

No not at all but he still beats Price in my opinion

Hard to call that fight. Allen hasn’t beaten anybody of note but he’s only been stopped by Ortiz to my memory and once due to injury. People talk of the huge hitterPrice is but that’s not been on display much recently.

• Advertisement

its not so much allen could beat him...its more of price will beat himself if it goes over 6 rounds against anyone that can stay in with him, even if hes beating them up to that...he'll gas and fold.

heres me critiquing him when i thought he was the next coming of a Klitschko, before he got beat...thought he was far better than fury back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Allen is less than bang average but I think you'd have to make him favourite just because of how durable he is. Anyone who can take Price 6+ rounds beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'm not at all convinced that Allen beats Lucas Browne anyway. People getting carried away with the fact that Browne looked poor in his last fight. Sokolowski's record doesn't do him justice. He'd be Dave Allen's best win. Allen was getting outboxed by Nick Webb and got beat by Lenroy Thomas. He's really not good at all.

its not so much allen could beat him...its more of price will beat himself if it goes over 6 rounds against anyone that can stay in with him, even if hes beating them up to that...he'll gas and fold.

heres me critiquing him when i thought he was the next coming of a Klitschko, before he got beat...thought he was far better than fury back then.

I’ve never seen anyone run out of gas as badly. Even on Saturday he was far through looking. I felt the same back in the day esp with the dismantling he gave audley. In all of the losses he’s looked close to winning too only for it all to go wrong. The hammar fight was hard to watch. What I don’t get is how cagey he’s become. Why not throw everything in early on if stamina is the problem

. What I don’t get is how cagey he’s become. Why not throw everything in early on if stamina is the problem[/QUOTE]

A couple of devastating ko's will do that to you , He is sacred of getting starched again ,

. What I don’t get is how cagey he’s become. Why not throw everything in early on if stamina is the problem

A couple of devastating ko's will do that to you , He is sacred of getting starched again ,[/quote]

Yea. Never the same after Tony stopped him the second time. But for that terrible stray uppercut in the first fight things may have panned out so differently. It’s odd; he’d threaten anyone in the top 10 yet could lose to anyone in the top 100

squinn2912 wrote: »
    A couple of devastating ko's will do that to you , He is sacred of getting starched again ,

Yea. Never the same after Tony stopped him the second time. But for that terrible stray uppercut in the first fight things may have panned out so differently. It’s odd; he’d threaten anyone in the top 10 yet could lose to anyone in the top 100[/QUOTE]

I guess being so big and rangey he rarely got hit till he stepped up a level and then found out he couldn't take a shot ,

Like many at one point I was very excited by him ,

Yea. Never the same after Tony stopped him the second time. But for that terrible stray uppercut in the first fight things may have panned out so differently. It’s odd; he’d threaten anyone in the top 10 yet could lose to anyone in the top 100

I guess being so big and rangey he rarely got hit till he stepped up a level and then found out he couldn't take a shot ,

Like many at one point I was very excited by him ,[/quote]

Yea I guess so. But Tony was just a CW although to be fair guys who beat him turned out to be drug cheats as well so that’s significant. I think one more ko and he will retire. The povetkin fight would’ve allowed him to do so with some credibility in tact but if someone like Dave Allen did itbto him he’s going to look nearly as bad as audley.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Tony Thompson was a heavyweight wasn’t he? He fought Wlad twice.

Out of interest why do you think price runs out of stamina so quickly? If it was a fitness thing surely that could be addressed in training? Is it that he just doesn’t have a true fighter mentality?

is it true what kash ali told ifl...that price said to him afterwards 'why did you do that?...you were on your way to winning..you had me beat'.
    that bull**** from ali ??

• Advertisement

mada82 wrote: »
    Tony Thompson was a heavyweight wasn’t he? He fought Wlad twice.

Out of interest why do you think price runs out of stamina so quickly? If it was a fitness thing surely that could be addressed in training? Is it that he just doesn’t have a true fighter mentality?

Sorry I had that wrong. Just checked. Actually has some very credible performances on his cv. Price should have had him beaten but was so open in the first fight and then gassed so badly, a trend that stuck with him since.

I don’t know if it’s training he looks trim (except vs hammar). Possibly mental but he always looks bolloxed

is it true what kash ali told ifl...that price said to him afterwards 'why did you do that?...you were on your way to winning..you had me beat'.
    that bull**** from ali ??

Doubt it if he said that unless in sarcasm after some of the verbals

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I don't think he's mentally right. I think he puts too much pressure on himself to perform,that he's more mentally tired than physically tired. I think the occasion gets to him which causes him to be too tense and burn nervous energy.

Surely he’s been to a sports psychologist?
    I don’t recall seing another fight like him in terms of tiring.

I enjoyed his rise and thought he was on his way to the top.

mada82 wrote: »
    Surely he’s been to a sports psychologist?
    I don’t recall seing another fight like him in terms of tiring.

I enjoyed his rise and thought he was on his way to the top.

He’s the only boxer I’ve seen orbthat comes to mind who doesn’t exude self confidence. On interview he often seems thankful for opportunities and uses if rather than when a lot. Was it coldwell who trained him for hammar? He talked a lot obout the nervous energy.

Saw some stuff on Usyk vs Takam today. Be very interesting to see how he handles the step up. Not an easy first fight but I think Takam will come forward and get caught. Usyk is a brilliant mover

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of shape Usyk will be in ,
    How much mass will he have put on for heavyweight , Does he go with more body fat more muscle or what is his plan

Bit of a mix I reckon. I think he’ll have to retain some movement and speed but that goes very wrong going up in weightclass. He will need to show his toughness.
    POV might be a fight for him there are several but I could see him fight Parker sooner. He beats Parker who is less dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think he won's have enough speed at heavyweight to make up for his lack of power. I know people will say he stopped Bellew, but that was more to do with Bellew being exhausted and the cumulative effect of a lot of punches.

Also, it's off-topic, but what has happened to Walshb. This forum isn't the same without its resident contrarian:D

I think he won's have enough speed at heavyweight to make up for his lack of power. I know people will say he stopped Bellew, but that was more to do with Bellew being exhausted and the cumulative effect of a lot of punches.

Also, it's off-topic, but what has happened to Walshb. This forum isn't the same without its resident contrarian:D

Iv seen his still about in other thread's
    I'm sure when there a good heavy weight fight getting close he will be back ,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Advertisement