Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Might be wrong but I reckon Usyk's first few fights at heavyweight will be in the States. Eddie needs to fill dates for DAZN and theres big Ukrainian contingents who go to Loma's fights stateside and pack venues out.

Usyk against Gerald Washington or Bryant Jennings or something like that would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Might be wrong but I reckon Usyk's first few fights at heavyweight will be in the States. Eddie needs to fill dates for DAZN and theres big Ukrainian contingents who go to Loma's fights stateside and pack venues out.

Usyk against Gerald Washington or Bryant Jennings or something like that would be my guess.

Ukyk's promoter has said that Parker and Miller have turned down a fight with him.
    They are chasing Povetkin and Ortiz

Ukyk's promoter has said that Parker and Miller have turned down a fight with him.
    They are chasing Povetkin and Ortiz

Huge respect to them if thats true. Maybe K2 are keeping full control of things and DAZN/Eddie aren't having much say at all. Hope that's the case anyway.

Will be hard to get these fringe contenders to fight him is the only thing. I see Whyte has said that nobody knows Usyk so it would be pointless fighting him while in the same sentence saying he'd take a fight with Dominic Breazeale ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Whyte would be fond enough of talking bull****. I used to like him but not of late. Beating Browne and Chisora along with a very dirty and lucky win v Parker doesn't really propel him to the top of the division as he'd have you believe. I'd have thought Usyk would have been a good fight for him to take if he has designs on belts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whyte obviously see Uysk as a serious threat, so much for his "he will fight anybody" spiel

• Advertisement

Whyte obviously see Uysk as a serious threat, so much for his "he will fight anybody" spiel

Of course he does and he would be a massive threat! He could well make Whyte look silly and that might finish him a cw moving up to beat him. No win fight fir him

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Of course he does and he would be a massive threat! He could well make Whyte look silly and that might finish him a cw moving up to beat him. No win fight fir him

Whyte said in a previous interview he would beat Uysk, but if he really is the "can man" he would take that fight. Of course he can use always
    the excuse there is not enough money in it for him, but he slated Joshua for not taking the Wilder fight because he put money over legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

to be fair why would whyte take the USYK fight when he is essentially mandatory for a world title fight in 2019 which will make him millions.

I would imagine usyk will fight povektin. I also see chisora and parker in that mix of contenders. We won't see pulev have a decent fight as he is mandatory for joshua late 2019 early 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Would have liked Usyk v Parker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would have liked Usyk v Parker.

Usyk obviously looking to fight one of the smaller heavy weights so Parker would have worked, but I can't see Parker wanting another loss, he will look for an easier fight on paper,

AVP is on his way out so decent money fight for him and a small aging heavy weight for Usyk makes sense all round ,

• Advertisement

Whyte should not jeopardize the rematch with Joshua. That is the money fight and the one that would set him up for the rest of his days. Usyk too much of a threat.

Rumours of Vlad coming to fight Whyte? Not sure where that one started. I reckon Vlad would beat Whyte with his jab alone.

I agree, but he criticises Joshua for putting money over legacy, and says he is the "can man" who will fight anyone. He also said he can beat Uysk. I don't think he really believes that to be true.

Mike Tyson is on the Joe Rogan podcast Thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone listening to this? Mike is having a good laugh.

Off topic, but what has happened to Walshb? He has gone very quiet of late.

Off topic, but what has happened to Walshb? He has gone very quiet of late.

Quick search of his user name and he is still around ,

Good poster, makes some great points as most on here do ,
    Id imagine once there another big fight of discussed he'll be back ,
    Its kind of like off season at the minute, til la few deals are singed up ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gintonious wrote: »
    Anyone listening to this? Mike is having a good laugh.

Hes just a huger stoner these days. Id say hes still a nasty bastard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes just a huger stoner these days. Id say hes still a nasty bastard though.

I’d say underneath all the weed there’s a nasty **** alright. He kept saying that he wanted to forget the past without sayin he regrets some of the **** he did. Still a good listen.

Only problem was Joes insane amount of lick arsery that went on. We get it he’s a legend but come stop with the constant compliments.

I’d say underneath all the weed there’s a nasty **** alright. He kept saying that he wanted to forget the past without sayin he regrets some of the **** he did. Still a good listen.

Only problem was Joes insane amount of lick arsery that went on. We get it he’s a legend but come stop with the constant compliments.

To be fair to Joe ,Mike has so many issues and is not the easiest to speak He also has a history of being aggressive and upset if asked to much probing questions ,

Joe and Mike have been friends along time I think the POD cast was more about promoting his new range than asking questions on his past,

I was never a huge Tyson fan but at this stage of his life he doesn't need to be a called out on his past the guys had issues since he's a child .
    His personality seems to be the product of abuse and mistrust since he was a child,
    He seems so innocent one second and the next you can feel he has real mean evil streak in him , Defiantly a tormented mind ,

Looking like

Fury-Wilder in April at Barclays Center.
    Joshua-Miller in June at MSG.

Mike Tyson is on the Joe Rogan podcast Thursday night
    Didn't think he was great tbh. Much preferred Kelly Pavlik a few weeks before.

• Advertisement

Looking like

Thought Joshua was booked to fight in Wembley in April? After all his talk of only fighting in the UK during the wilder negotiations I'm surprised hes going to the US to fight Miller.

Looking like

Thought Joshua was booked to fight in Wembley in April? After all his talk of only fighting in the UK during the wilder negotiations I'm surprised hes going to the US to fight Miller.
    Looking like they'll have to drop the Wembley date. Think Wilder and Fury gaining the publicity they got in the States changed everything. Joshua now the clear number 3 profile wise globally. Needs to leave the UK in order to try change that.

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1090037270545977344?s=19

A great summer to look foward to so. Hopefully Fury v Joshua September in Wembley then.

Looking like they'll have to drop the Wembley date. Think Wilder and Fury gaining the publicity they got in the States changed everything. Joshua now the clear number 3 profile wise globally. Needs to leave the UK in order to try change that.

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1090037270545977344?s=19

I'll be surprised if Eddie Hearn goes with a fight in the US,
    He is always banging on that AJ doesn't need to fight outside of the UK and he's the biggest draw,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

which leaves whyte v dominic brazele in the uk.

I'll be surprised if Eddie Hearn goes with a fight in the US,
    He is always banging on that AJ doesn't need to fight outside of the UK and he's the biggest draw,

Think his thinking has changed drastically since Wilder-Fury. He also has pressure on him to provide dates for DAZN.

Think his thinking has changed drastically since Wilder-Fury. He also has pressure on him to provide dates for DAZN.
    Public seems to be getting a bit feed up with the fights Aj is having ,
    The reaction to the crowd post Whyte v Chisora may have been a bit of an eye opener to Eddie,

Can't see many interested in him fighting Miller ,

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I don’t like Joshua’s personality or the hype he gets but I believe he is the number 1 heavyweight and has the better resume out of the big 3.

I think out of all the contenders Whyte is most deserving of a title shot.

I didn’t like the idea of Joshua vs Whyte 2 but it’s a better option than Miller. Who has he even beaten?

Great to see Fury and Wilder getting the reward for both taking the risky first fight. Hopefully all 3 face off against each other a few times regardless of results.

mada82 wrote: »
    I don’t like Joshua’s personality or the hype he gets but I believe he is the number 1 heavyweight and has the better resume out of the big 3.

I think out of all the contenders Whyte is most deserving of a title shot.

I didn’t like the idea of Joshua vs Whyte 2 but it’s a better option than Miller. Who has he even beaten?

Great to see Fury and Wilder getting the reward for both taking the risky first fight. Hopefully all 3 face off against each other a few times regardless of results.

I’m not keen on him either. I’m not so sure he has; fury beat wlad too and he also fought and in fairness beat wilder. That trumps povetkin even though AJ was impressive there.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’m not keen on him either. I’m not so sure he has; fury beat wlad too and he also fought and in fairness beat wilder. That trumps povetkin even though AJ was impressive there.

Aj went life and death with an older, dethroned Vlad too. Fury absolutely dominated him weather your a fan of his style or not. Fury also dominated Wilder besides the KDs. How anyone can say with can say AJ is the best at the min with certainty is talking balls.

Advertisement