Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Morrison J wrote: »
    You're probably right. He's borderline top 10 I reckon. It's styles with Joyce I think. Anyone who stands in the pocket with him will probably get beat as Joyce seems durable and has stamina for days to go with his punch power. If I was Hughie Fury I'd be banging the table for that fight.

I think you’re right I could see Hughie test his stamina. I didn’t put povetkin in that list I think it’s 50/50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

https://youtu.be/vUwTfikAHRQ

Ah jesus Tyson not again

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Angliru wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/vUwTfikAHRQ

Ah jesus Tyson not again

??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

mada82 wrote: »
    ??
    I think he's insinuating that Tyson is off his head in that interview.

Pighead wrote: »
    I think he's insinuating that Tyson is off his head in that interview.

Yea I was thinking that but not sure could have been that he was planning on fighting a soft touch either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Seems like they might be lining up Fury v Parker. What an eyesore of a fight that'll be. One way to make Fury's stock plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭normanoffside

pac_man wrote: »
    Browne wins by a point. He was dropped in the second round in a six round fight. Thought he was a bit fortunate to get the nod.

Soklowski is good, he beat Nick Webb in his last fight. He has also beaten another un beaten British prospect and Sean Turner too. I had thought of betting a few quid on him but didn’t realise the fight was tonight. Glad I didn’t realise now. Browne is clearly nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Morrison J wrote: »

Whyte was going hard on AJ the weekend,

Called him the Lance Armstrong of boxing ,saying he knows he's a great cycler and claiming he won't go into the all year testing pool so only gets tested for fights , Says the training camps away all the time are so he can't be tested,
    When asked does he thing he is on drugs he said No I'm just saying he great a cycling and Lance Armstrong was never caught on drugs either,

Also said some interesting stuff about the AJ v Miller fight ,
    Said they made him a awful offer to just con the British public that they wanted the fight ,

Said they offered him 5 million and 7 weeks to prepare and wouldn't budge knowing he hadn't been training since last year and knowing although 5 million would be his biggest pay day that it far to cheap to fight AJ,

Also said the terms of the rematch where even if he won ,AJ would still get 70% of the money in the rematch,

Then they go offer Miller 10 million and 14 weeks , said that was there plan all along ,

He also said that Hearn said he had nothing to do with it and it was AJ who done up that contract and terms, Which is gas because Hearn keeps saying why is Wilder sending contract's and not his team but he's using that excuse himself when it suits him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Whyte was going hard on AJ the weekend,

Called him the Lance Armstrong of boxing ,saying he knows he's a great cycler and claiming he won't go into the all year testing pool so only gets tested for fights , Says the training camps away all the time are so he can't be tested,
    When asked does he thing he is on drugs he said No I'm just saying he great a cycling and Lance Armstrong was never caught on drugs either,

Also said some interesting stuff about the AJ v Miller fight ,
    Said they made him a awful offer to just con the British public that they wanted the fight ,

Said they offered him 5 million and 7 weeks to prepare and wouldn't budge knowing he hadn't been training since last year and knowing although 5 million would be his biggest pay day that it far to cheap to fight AJ,

Also said the terms of the rematch where even if he won ,AJ would still get 70% of the money in the rematch,

Then they go offer Miller 10 million and 14 weeks , said that was there plan all along ,

He also said that Hearn said he had nothing to do with it and it was AJ who done up that contract and terms, Which is gas because Hearn keeps saying why is Wilder sending contract's and not his team but he's using that excuse himself when it suits him ,

careful walshb wont like that kind of chat, AJ is cleaner than clean :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Until proven otherwise he is. That's generally how these things work...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Until proven otherwise he is. That's generally how these things work...

bit black and white, armstrong was clean until he wasnt?

As much off an ejit Whyte is and can be ,

It' s a big thing to be saying on camera without knowing something , although he wouldn't go quite as far as saying AJ was on juice , When pressed if he thought AJ was a drug cheat he just replied no I'm saying he is great at cycling maybe he should be in the tour de France and mentioning Armstrong,

Again could be total rubbish from someone who is being left in the cold in term's of big fights this year,

I think he has lost all respect for Hearn to ,

Cyrus wrote: »
    bit black and white, armstrong was clean until he wasnt?

No but you have to work off the presumption that an athlete is clean until their caught. Just throwing about accusations isn't good enough.

No but you have to work off the presumption that an athlete is clean until their caught. Just throwing about accusations isn't good enough.

This is correct,

Does anyone know is AJ tested out of competition ? Surely he is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Whyte only himself to blame here, he has talked so much crap about Joshua that at this stage why should Joshua and his camp give any kind of a good deal to him or show him any respect?
    That's modern boxing, the champ holds all the cards and if you want it enough you have to accept the ****ty end of the stick these days.
    Him saying 5 million is not enough to fight Joshua is a cop out. If he's so sure he can beat Joshua then just go and rip the belts out of his hands.
    At the end of the day he knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I knew once Fury signed with ESPN, Whyte would feel left out and do a deal to fight in America. He goes on about Joshua putting money before legacy, he is exactly the same. If he was the "can man", as he labelled himself, he should have taken the five million just to show the world he could beat Joshua.

In others news, there are rumours Kltisckho has been offered a deal by Dazn to come out of retirement.

I think Whyte has a point about the rematch contract. Fair enough to take the short straw on the initial fight but if he won that then he should get a bigger percentage of the rematch pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Have to admit i like whyte, he says it how it is, joshua has the nice guy persona but in reality he was a scumbag and even some of his tweets to eddie chambers abut being a disgrace to the superior black race and **** just shows hes an idiot really. I like the fact that whyte has his little irish flag on his twitter page lol.

Him saying 5 million is not enough to fight Joshua is a cop out. If he's so sure he can beat Joshua then just go and rip the belts out of his hands.
    At the end of day he knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua.[/quote]

Its not really , AJ put a clause in to be have 75 % of the cash in a rematch which means Whyte would be fighing twice for under what he values himself
    He is mandatory so if he wins that he is champion and can demand more cash and doesnt need an AJ fight which is the hardest fight for him
    Miller is unranked and is getting 10 million why would Whyte except less and less time to train when he is higher ranked and in a deal that sees him being ripped of in the rematch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

At the end of day he knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua.

Its not really , AJ put a clause in to be have 75 % of the cash in a rematch which means Whyte would be fighing twice for under what he values himself
    He is mandatory so if he wins that he is champion and can demand more cash and doesnt need an AJ fight which is the hardest fight for him
    Miller is unranked and is getting 10 million why would Whyte except less and less time to train when he is higher ranked and in a deal that sees him being ripped of in the rematch[/QUOTE]

I grant that the 75% clause in the case of a rematch is a joke alright but my point is after everything Whyte has said about him, Joshua now hates his guts and all Whyte's going to get offered is a lousy deal. In modern boxing the champ is always going to screw the challenger.
    When Vitali Klitchko gave Derek Chisora a shot, all Chisora got was 300k. When Mayweather fought Maidana, Mayweather got 30 mil Maidana got 1 mil.
    Whyte has been offered a career high purse of 5 million, so the question for Whyte is- is it about the money or winning the title? If he wins then maybe he can call the shots.
    I'm not joshua's biggest fan by any means but I think this time Whyte knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua so he's trying to talk his way into as big a payday as he can.

At the end of day he knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua.

Miller is unranked and is getting 10 million why would Whyte except less and less time to train when he is higher ranked and in a deal that sees him being ripped of in the rematch

I grant that the 75% clause in the case of a rematch is a joke alright but my point is after everything Whyte has said about him, Joshua now hates his guts and all Whyte's going to get offered is a lousy deal. In modern boxing the champ is always going to screw the challenger.
    When Vitali Klitchko gave Derek Chisora a shot, all Chisora got was 300k. When Mayweather fought Maidana, Mayweather got 30 mil Maidana got 1 mil.
    Whyte has been offered a career high purse of 5 million, so the question for Whyte is- is it about the money or winning the title? If he wins then maybe he can call the shots.
    I'm not joshua's biggest fan by any means but I think this time Whyte knows he doesn't have the beating of Joshua so he's trying to talk his way into as big a payday as he can.[/quote]

Hes turned down hia biggest pay day because he sisnt like the rematch terms and the short notice , He is next up for the winner of Ortiz and Brezzle for a world title that is probably an easier fight and better terms cant see the problem with that ,
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i keep saying it...automatic rematch clauses in world title fights should be outlawed...the governing bodies should not allow them, and they should be the ones after the fight, not the promoters, to dictate if a rematch happens in the case of close fights......them rematch clauses are a part of the corruption in boxing in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

I think whyte knows his chance of beating Joshua is slim at best and would much rather his chances against wilder/fury. Don't buy the excuse of not having enough time to prepare he fought a couple days before Christmas and it was always known he was going offered the Joshua fight for April 13th. Its a pretty obvious duck considering he's been offered a career high payday and a chance to become unified chanpion aswell as avenging his previous loss. The rematch being 50/50 is a bit unfair but again would be another career high payday assuming he won.

Miccoli wrote: »
    I think whyte knows his chance of beating Joshua is slim at best and would much rather his chances against wilder/fury. Don't buy the excuse of not having enough time to prepare he fought a couple days before Christmas and it was always known he was going offered the Joshua fight for April 13th. Its a pretty obvious duck considering he's been offered a career high payday and a chance to become unified chanpion aswell as avenging his previous loss. The rematch being 50/50 is a bit unfair but again would be another career high payday assuming he won.

He was the one who wanted to fight AJ, he was the one that asked AJ after the fight in the ring to fight him, AJ said there and then he was third in line if Fury or Wilder couldn't be made, Whyte knew he wasn't getting the fight them ,

He was then offered the fight at the end of January , He'd taken time off after Chisora which he should do seen as he had fought 3 times last year, and it was a tuff fight v Chisora ,

5 million may be his highest payday but its cheap to fight AJ
    Povetkin got 6 million why would no 1 ranked Whyte take less ??? He bring way more to the table than AP did
    The rematch clause was 75 in AJ favour not 50/50 .

Don't forget its Whyte and AJ grudge that sells the fight,

AJ then goes and offers Miller (who offers nothing ) 10 million to fight in the states a place he said he didn't ever need to go , Its quite obvious Whyte was low balled on purpose,

Hearn even said it was AJ that made that offer to Whyte not him, which is nonsense and funny seen as Hearn gave Wilder abuse when Wilder said he sent a contract to AJ and not Finkle ,

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

He was the one who wanted to fight AJ, he was the one that asked AJ after the fight in the ring to fight him, AJ said there and then he was third in line if Fury or Wilder couldn't be made, Whyte knew he wasn't getting the fight them ,

He was then offered the fight at the end of January , He'd taken time off after Chisora which he should do seen as he had fought 3 times last year, and it was a tuff fight v Chisora ,

5 million may be his highest payday but its cheap to fight AJ
    Povetkin got 6 million why would no 1 ranked Whyte take less ??? He bring way more to the table than AP did
    The rematch clause was 75 in AJ favour not 50/50 .

Don't forget its Whyte and AJ grudge that sells the fight,

AJ then goes and offers Miller (who offers nothing ) 10 million to fight in the states a place he said he didn't ever need to go , Its quite obvious Whyte was low balled on purpose,

Hearn even said it was AJ that made that offer to Whyte not him, which is nonsense and funny seen as Hearn gave Wilder abuse when Wilder said he sent a contract to AJ and not Finkle ,

Don't know where your getting alot of your dates and figures from tbh. Whyte himself said an initial offer was made on January 10th not late January so more than enough time to prepare. With regards to povetkin getting allegedley £6 million he was mandatory challenger so he gets a gurantted split usually 25%-30%, whyte is not a mandatory challenger.

Also according to hearn(may not be entirely truthful tbf) the last offer to whyte was close to £6 million with a 50/50 rematch split and he also said Whyte would be earning more than povetkin. With regards to Miller getting 10 million I had a search for the fight purses and multiple outlets reporting him to be earning £5.4 pounds have yet to see 10 million anywhere.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Don't know where your getting alot of your dates and figures from tbh. Whyte himself said an initial offer was made on January 10th not late January so more than enough time to prepare. With regards to povetkin getting allegedley £6 million he was mandatory challenger so he gets a gurantted split usually 25%-30%, whyte is not a mandatory challenger.

Also according to hearn(may not be entirely truthful tbf) the last offer to whyte was close to £6 million with a 50/50 rematch split and he also said Whyte would be earning more than povetkin. With regards to Miller getting 10 million I had a search for the fight purses and multiple outlets reporting him to be earning £5.4 pounds have yet to see 10 million anywhere.

I was going off numbers Whyte said which of course may not be true,
    But I don't have a problem with a fighter not taking a fight if he thinks he is low balled,
    I don't for one second think Whyte is ducking AJ or afraid to fight him ,

On Whyte vs AJ I think Whyte has a point. He’s gone the long way round and has earned a shot. AJ has said often enough he fancies another scrap with Whyte which would earn him a fortune. Whyte deserves his slice. I’d be half interested in the fight. AJ wins again.

Anybody take a look at Dubois tonight? Looked decent.

squinn2912 wrote: »

Anybody take a look at Dubois tonight? Looked decent.

Didn't see it yet but I felt he looked pretty poor against Johnson in his last fight.

• Advertisement

Didn't see it yet but I felt he looked pretty poor against Johnson in his last fight.

Yea a bit laboured. He and Nathan will fight easy enough until they meet and whoever comes out of that one can kick on. Both pretty untested so far

Advertisement