Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The main improvement for Galway 1st half to 2nd half was their shooting. 8 wides in the 1st half to just 2 in the 2nd half and matter of fact it took 20 mins of the 2nd half before they kicked a wide. Roscommon on the other hand shot selection got worse as the game went on and each wide drained the confidence out of them yet the game was still to be won in injury time.

Kerry aren't going to be as poor on their shot selection.
    The midfield battle will probably be the deciding factor in this game more so than than the Connacht final. Conroy,Flynn or Cooke v David Moran, Jack Berry. I presume Kerry will start Kieran Donaghy on the edge of the square after all the problems he caused Galway last year so that should be a good test Sean Andy O Ceallaigh. How Galway mark Paul Geaney will be very important also in the league win v Kerry is was held scoreless i believe.

Finding it hard to call a winner so i'll sit on the fence and call a draw. Galway 2-12 Kerry 1-15

For me the poor shooting from Galway in the first half and Roscommon in the second came down to midfield.
    Galway were very defensive in the first half and looked to build from the back which drew Roscommon on them in good shooting positions.
    Second half Galway went long to midfield and bossed Roscommon with Galway`s forwards pushed forward in better shooting positions that also forced Roscommon on their own kick-outs to go long as well.

Once Galway controlled midfield Roscommon forwards were living on scrapes.
    Cannot see Galway getting as much from midfield against Kerry.

Star would be a serious test for young Sean Andy, but I would doubt they will start him. The movement and pace of especially O`Donoghue, Geaney and Clifford against Cork was like a well oiled machine, so I can see the three of them starting in a two man full forward line that keeps switching.
    If Galway forwards can get at that Kerry backline or run at the centre of their defence I can see them making hay, but they are going to have to win a good share of ball at midfield to do so. Either that or try going long into their forwards and by-pass midfield.

Difficult to know as they haven`t been test how good Kerry are at the back, or which Galway will turn up, so move over a bit on that fence.
    I need a seat on this one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Tyrone v Dublin 7pm on the Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Upcoming GAA Fixtures
    All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals
    21 July
    Roscommon v Donegal, 5.0pm, Dr Hyde Park – Sky Sport
    Tyrone v Dublin, 7.0pm, Healy Park – Sky Sport

22 July
    Kildare v Galway, 2.0pm, St Conleth’s Park - RTÉ
    Monaghan v Kerry, 4.0pm, St Tiernach’s Park - RTÉ

4 August
    Kerry v Kildare, 6.0pm, Fitzgerald Stadium – Sky Sport
    Galway v Monaghan, 6.0pm, Pearse Stadium – Sky Sport

5 August
    Dublin v Roscommon, 3.30pm, Croke Park – RTÉ
    Donegal v Tyrone, 3.30pm, Mac Cumahill Park – RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

charlie14 wrote: »
    For me the poor shooting from Galway in the first half and Roscommon in the second came down to midfield.
    Galway were very defensive in the first half and looked to build from the back which drew Roscommon on them in good shooting positions.
    Second half Galway went long to midfield and bossed Roscommon with Galway`s forwards pushed forward in better shooting positions that also forced Roscommon on their own kick-outs to go long as well.

Once Galway controlled midfield Roscommon forwards were living on scrapes.
    Cannot see Galway getting as much from midfield against Kerry.

Star would be a serious test for young Sean Andy, but I would doubt they will start him. The movement and pace of especially O`Donoghue, Geaney and Clifford against Cork was like a well oiled machine, so I can see the three of them starting in a two man full forward line that keeps switching.
    If Galway forwards can get at that Kerry backline or run at the centre of their defence I can see them making hay, but they are going to have to win a good share of ball at midfield to do so. Either that or try going long into their forwards and by-pass midfield.

Difficult to know as they haven`t been test how good Kerry are at the back, or which Galway will turn up, so move over a bit on that fence.
    I need a seat on this one as well.

Roscommon one decent midfielder went off injured.
    After that, they were always going to be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dublin Roscommon on it’s own in Croker. If dubs hve won both they will prob play reserves so might not be a great crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Consey wrote: »
    Ulster Finals were played in Clones because 1. Clones was a major railway junction when most people travelled to big matches by train and 2. The natural 'bowl' effect of the pitch meant it had a larger capacity than anywhere else.

The town itself suffered badly after the railways closed and due to its proximity to the troubles and its proximity to the border only one mile away (even closer to the ground itself).

The Butcher Boy (book and movie) was set in Clones, and some say the movie production team made the town look better than it does now (it was set in the 60s).

Traffic on match days can be bad, as it can in any small town where you put on an event with 30,000+ at it but many will tell you that Clones has an atmosphere like no other on big match days, narrow streets, town taken over by the match etc.

Clones is a beaut on Ulster Final day. No place like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Dublin Roscommon on it’s own in Croker. If dubs hve won both they will prob play reserves so might not be a great crowd

Or they could be out already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

grbear wrote: »
    Upcoming GAA Fixtures
    All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals
    21 July
    Roscommon v Donegal, 5.0pm, Dr Hyde Park – Sky Sport
    Tyrone v Dublin, 7.0pm, Healy Park – Sky Sport

22 July
    Kildare v Galway, 2.0pm, St Conleth’s Park - RTÉ
    Monaghan v Kerry, 4.0pm, St Tiernach’s Park - RTÉ

4 August
    Kerry v Kildare, 6.0pm, Fitzgerald Stadium – Sky Sport
    Galway v Monaghan, 6.0pm, Pearse Stadium – Sky Sport

5 August
    Dublin v Roscommon, 3.30pm, Croke Park – RTÉ
    Donegal v Tyrone, 3.30pm, Mac Cumahill Park – RTÉ

Well it seems to me that Donegal (most likely - home advantage against Tyrone) will be on a collision course with the GAA to make Dublin get the 6 day turnaround to the semi final rather than them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

mystic86 wrote: »
    Well it seems to me that Donegal (most likely - home advantage against Tyrone) will be on a collision course with the GAA to make Dublin get the 6 day turnaround to the semi final rather than them!

What is the point of that? there hasn't been a ball kicked in the 8s and already you are starting yet another in an endless stream of posts concerning Dublin about matters in which Dublin have no say!

There will be four teams involved in the semi finals. No-one knows as yet who they will be. I do know that one will not be making a circus act out of what day they play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What is the point of that? there hasn't been a ball kicked in the 8s and already you are starting yet another in an endless stream of posts concerning Dublin about matters in which Dublin have no say!

There will be four teams involved in the semi finals. No-one knows as yet who they will be. I do know that one will not be making a circus act out of what day they play :)

The point is I am giving my opinion, just because my post mentions Dublin does not mean it should be taken as 'yet another' attack on Dublin. And either way, be it Tyrone instead of Donegal, they will still face the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

mystic86 wrote: »
    The point is I am giving my opinion, just because my post mentions Dublin does not mean it should be taken as 'yet another' attack on Dublin. And either way, be it Tyrone instead of Donegal, they will still face the same issue.

So there are four teams, as yet unknown who will face possibly a six day turnaround.

Don't think it is as much an issue as it is made out to be to be honest. Teams that have played and won four or five weeks on the trot - Mayo last year being one example, our hurlers in 2013, seem to have suffered more from subsequent four week break after that, These fellas are training at massive intensity for eight months, hopping off one another.

That is scaled down obviously when there are games coming thick and fast, but the last game in 8s will be a comfortable and possibly meaningless game for at least one team. Monday pool and injury assessment, two light run outs during week. Grand by Saturday. Teams that fall tht way are teams going nowhere anyway.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So there are four teams, as yet unknown who will face possibly a six day turnaround.

Don't think it is as much an issue as it is made out to be to be honest. Teams that have played and won four or five weeks on the trot - Mayo last year being one example, our hurlers in 2013, seem to have suffered more from subsequent four week break after that, These fellas are training at massive intensity for eight months, hopping off one another.

That is scaled down obviously when there are games coming thick and fast, but the last game in 8s will be a comfortable and possibly meaningless game for at least one team. Monday pool and injury assessment, two light run outs during week. Grand by Saturday. Teams that fall tht way are teams going nowhere anyway.

I would not see a 6 day turnaround rather than a 7 being a problem for any team, but with Donegal playing Tyrone in the last even if neither have won or drawn a game up until then that game will not be looked on as meaningless by either sides players or supporters.
    Trust me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Dr. Bre wrote: »

The U20 All Ireland final is the curtain raiser

After today it will be a very nervous Kerry team heading to Clones next week.
    Kerry were clueless today on how to breakdown the Galway defense. It looked as if they had no plan, which is surprising as it is the defense Galway have been deploying all year.
    They are not going to find Monaghan`s set-up any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So who do we think is most likely to put it up to Dublin this year? I still think in spite of all their travails it could be Kerry. I reckon they have the most potential to score heavily against a tight defence. Plus Dublin could be slightly more vulnerable in the semi than the final...

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Kerry, like the last few years, are vulnerable at the back and have no discernible defensive structure. I think, if Galway could fire on all cylinders they could do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So who do we think is most likely to put it up to Dublin this year? I still think in spite of all their travails it could be Kerry. I reckon they have the most potential to score heavily against a tight defence. Plus Dublin could be slightly more vulnerable in the semi than the final...

Even though the Dublin forwards have not really clicked yet like they can it's hard not to see them running up a very big score against that Kerry defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Even though the Dublin forwards have not really clicked yet like they can it's hard not to see them running up a very big score against that Kerry defence.

For Kerry to win they would need to build up into an early lead. Then Dublin would be forced to come out of their shell and the game turns into a high-scoring shootout. Dublin probably still favourites in that scenario but Kerry would have a decent shout; not sure any other team would regardless of the pattern of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I think Kerry would be doing well to get within 5 points of Dublin. Two last minute goals by Clifford have given a very false impression of how good they are. Honestly I think that they are pretty rubbish at the moment. If they somehow manage to squeeze through, I'd say Dublin will eat them alive. I honestly don't see where you think Kerry could score heavily against a tight defence. Clifford is their only really dangerous forward and he won't get enough ball against Dublin to make the difference.

Of Galway/Donegal/Tyrone, I think they could all stay within 3 or 4 points but ultimately I think that Dublin will have too much for all of them - especially in a tight finish. The Dubs have so much experience and confidence in tight games at this stage. Injuries are about the only thing that can stop the 4-in-a-row I think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Clifford is their only really dangerous forward and he won't get enough ball against Dublin to make the difference.

Paul Geaney no good?

• Advertisement

Paul Geaney no good?

He hasn't been good in their last two games. He doesn't seem to me to be a big enough character to really disturb the dubs. Clifford does but he's young and there's only one of him.

He hasn't been good in their last two games. He doesn't seem to me to be a big enough character to really disturb the dubs. Clifford does but he's young and there's only one of him.

Was wondering, two matches wouldn't be much to base judgement on. Seán O'Shea handy enuf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was wondering, two matches wouldn't be much to base judgement on. SeO'Shea handy enuf too.

A more esteemed commentator than myself, Sylvester Hennessy (Kerry’s Eye, Radio Kerry), has stated more than once in the last few weeks that this sort of performance from Kerry is nothing new.

The general malaise, the inability to power on late in games, the odd bench decisions etc. He points out that Kerry have not beaten a Div 1 team in Championship since 2015.

Kerry have some gifted forwards, but against big teams they are not functioning as a team in anyway shape or form, and to expect them to just “turn it on” in Croke Park against Dublin is fanciful if you ask me.

People may point out that Mayo looked equally disjointed last year and the year before but in my opinion Mayo were far more consistent.

They beat Derry well in ET, after a slow start they kicked on v Clare, they were well ahead v Cork before they made a few bench changes, they hammered Roscommon when it came to it.

Kerry have been stuck in a rut, with the exception of Clare, Cork and Galway last year, never being able to dictate a game, never being able to win pulling up, never being able to do what we regularly saw from Kerry in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think Geaney has enough credit in the bank to still be called top class after two quiet games. He wasn't even poor against Galway, 2 from play in a low scoring game is a grand return

A more esteemed commentator than myself, Sylvester Hennessy (Kerry’s Eye, Radio Kerry), has stated more than once in the last few weeks that this sort of performance from Kerry is nothing new.

The general malaise, the inability to power on late in games, the odd bench decisions etc. He points out that Kerry have not beaten a Div 1 team in Championship since 2015.

Kerry have some gifted forwards, but against big teams they are not functioning as a team in anyway shape or form, and to expect them to just “turn it on” in Croke Park against Dublin is fanciful if you ask me.

People may point out that Mayo looked equally disjointed last year and the year before but in my opinion Mayo were far more consistent.

They beat Derry well in ET, after a slow start they kicked on v Clare, they were well ahead v Cork before they made a few bench changes, they hammered Roscommon when it came to it.

Kerry have been stuck in a rut, with the exception of Clare, Cork and Galway last year, never being able to dictate a game, never being able to win pulling up, never being able to do what we regularly saw from Kerry in previous years.

Kerry have issues. Thats why they're firing out championship debuts to beat the band. Will take time.

I was responding to the claim Kerry have only one decent forward.

Kerry have issues. Thats why they're firing out championship debuts to beat the band. Will take time.

I was responding to the claim Kerry have only one decent forward.

I never said that they have just one decent forward. It's just that they have only one forward who is something more than just decent. Geaney is surely a good footballer, but I just don't think that he is a game breaker in the way that Clifford clearly could be. Given that Kerry have problems in all areas of the field, its hard to see them competing with Dublin.

I think that the problem is that many people start their analysis of matchups vs Dublin with the assumption that everything is going to go right for the other team. Sure if O'Shea plays out of his skin, and Geaney and Clifford also play out of their skin, and Fitzmaurice gets his tactics spot on and the defence manage to contain the Dublin attack and the Kerry midfield somehow compete with McCarthy, and Cluxton has a bad day with the kickouts then Kerry would be there or thereabouts, but how likely are all of those things to happen? I just think that there are too many things going wrong for Kerry for it all to come good.

I never said that they have just one decent forward. It's just that they have only one forward who is something more than just decent. Geaney is surely a good footballer, but I just don't think that he is a game breaker in the way that Clifford clearly could be. Given that Kerry have problems in all areas of the field, its hard to see them competing with Dublin.

I think that the problem is that many people start their analysis of matchups vs Dublin with the assumption that everything is going to go right for the other team. Sure if O'Shea plays out of his skin, and Geaney and Clifford also play out of their skin, and Fitzmaurice gets his tactics spot on and the defence manage to contain the Dublin attack and the Kerry midfield somehow compete with McCarthy, and Cluxton has a bad day with the kickouts then Kerry would be there or thereabouts, but how likely are all of those things to happen? I just think that there are too many things going wrong for Kerry for it all to come good.

Kerry haven't a hope of beating Dublin. Work in progress, bout 7/8 players you'd keep and the bench needs rejuvenating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It would be a thing of beauty if Dublin met Kerry in the final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It would be a thing of beauty if Dublin met Kerry in the final this year.

They can only meet in the semi final this year, mathematically impossible for the groups to turn out in such a way that they could avoid each other until the final

• Advertisement

They can only meet in the semi final this year, mathematically impossible for the groups to turn out in such a way that they could avoid each other until the final

Not true. Dublin will finish second in their group if they lose to Roscommon and Tyrone/Donegal is not a draw. (Not likely of course, but not 'mathematically impossible')

Advertisement