Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

cjmc wrote: »
    Out of interest, when did Dublin last play on a Saturday?

You didn’t honestly think they were gonna put the dubs on in Croker as the same time as World Cup final . Gaa look after the dubs first and the rest later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

spurshero wrote: »
    You didn’t honestly think they were gonna put the dubs on in Croker as the same time as World Cup final . Gaa look after the dubs first and the rest later

Your username is partly an English soccer team! What part of north London are you from? And you come up with this nonsense.

Dublin supporters are no more or less likely than any other county to be interested in World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No I didn’t, but wht play Donegals gamme at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    March :)

Have played quite a number of championship games too on Saturday evenings over past few years. Including last year against Monaghan.

Your point being?

We played Donegal 2016 on Saturday in AI Quarter Final. Since 2010 Fermanagh 2014 was only Quarter Final we played on a Sunday.

Gael85 wrote: »
    We played Donegal 2016 on Saturday in AI Quarter Final. Since 2010 Fermanagh 2014 was only Quarter Final we played on a Sunday.

He's just another one with a chip on his shoulder about Dublin who never responds when he is shown up.

Dublin have also regularly played games at same time as Charity Shield and Hill has always been packed. I'd imagine he is just annoyed that he will miss the Galway game when he is watching his "beloved Spurs" heroes if Ingerland get to the final :)

• Advertisement

What soccer got to do with Dublin supporters??The stuff people make up is just laughable. 7/8 Dublin last AI Quarter Finals have been played on a Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Yer delusional if you think the Dublin game was fixed for Saturday for a reason other than the soccer. Can you give a logical reason why Group 2 is being played first? When Kerry and Galway have had the longest wait since their provincials and yet are being kept to the final day? When Donegal fans with the longest to travel are being put on at the worst time?

And before you get upset, yes it's not Dublin fans or a Dublin county board decision. It's a decision made by a culchie dominated board at HQ. I'd have made the same decision myself (although I'd have waited until after the hurling game was decided to make it). But the reason it's fixed for Sat over Sunday is because of the Soccer

What makes you think Dublin supporters who are club members and have Parnell passes and season tickets are more likely to miss their county playing than anyone else?

Dublin games regularly clash with soccer and makes no difference to the attendance, league or championship. Just another myth to bash the Dubs!

So why were Dublin's 7 of last 8 quarter finals on a Saturday evenings? Reason is believe it or not that Saturday is mad day for traffic so Dublin supporters are not subject to same travelling problems as other counties driving into the city on a Saturday evening as compared to a much quieter Sunday. Its to benefit people travelling to the later game.

Would agree that having Donegal at 7 is unfortunate for their supporters facing a long trek home. And believe it or not Dublin hurlers have often been in same position in qualifiers coming back from Limerick, Cork, Thurles, Wexford after 7pm throw ins. You really need to be seriously paranoid or obsessed to think that this is all done to benefit Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Yer delusional if you think the Dublin game was fixed for Saturday for a reason other than the soccer. Can you give a logical reason why Group 2 is being played first? When Kerry and Galway have had the longest wait since their provincials and yet are being kept to the final day? When Donegal fans with the longest to travel are being put on at the worst time?

And before you get upset, yes it's not Dublin fans or a Dublin county board decision. It's a decision made by a culchie dominated board at HQ. I'd have made the same decision myself (although I'd have waited until after the hurling game was decided to make it). But the reason it's fixed for Sat over Sunday is because of the Soccer

Monaghan needed a 7 day break. That's why they are playing Sunday. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness it has been explained that Group 2 was listed for Sunday so as to give Monaghan the 7 day lay off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    Dublin games regularly clash with soccer and makes no difference to the attendance, league or championship. Just another myth to bash the Dubs!

Bonnie I've spent time in the west and have seen lads there miss a game to watch soccer in a pub with a few pints.

My old man was a regular Dubs supporter and would talk about Liverpool v United games impacting on Dublin support.

It happens, sticking it to one set of supporters is the only error here

I'd say most of the regular posters here would say the same thing, every single gaa game arranged at the same time as a big soccer game will see a negative at the gate.

Sometimes it's just lads being lazy, sky sports in the local is more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

They could have easily fixed the Monaghan-Laous game for Saturday instead of Sunday if they wanted to ensure the winner got a seven day break.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that the World Cup final has affected the way fixtures were laid out. Major matches/finals affecting the viewing figures/attendances for unrelated sports is hardly an unheard of concept. Liverpool reaching the Champions League final this year almost certainly affected attendances of the championship matches that clashed with it and this year's British GP and Wimbledon have been overshadowed by England's doing well at the World Cup. At this point I'm sure the GAA have enough data regarding attendances to know what sort of hit they'd take at the gate when going up against the World Cup final.

If they could I'm fairly sure they'd try and avoid putting any matches on at the same as the final but with the limited wiggle room they have then it comes down to picking the least costly option. The group 2 double header will draw a bigger crowd than group 1, I don't think that's up for debate. If you know that clashing with the World Cup final will result in an X% smaller crowd then it's just common sense to play the group one games on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It won't matter regarding the Dubs anyway. They've very conveniently fixed the Laois v Monaghan qualifier for Sunday. Winner of that goes into the first Super 8 group, and they'll put that group on Sunday under the pretence that the winner needs a full 7 days to get over their qualifier game. The other group with the Dubs will slot in on the Saturday and avoid the soccer clash. Be shocked if it doesn't play out like that, provided the Galway hurlers don't lose and will have to play Sunday in Cork also

I made this post ahead of time about that exact occurrence last weekend. It made no sense also to fix the Monaghan game for the Sunday, yet they did for the handy excuse.
    In fairness it has been explained that Group 2 was listed for Sunday so as to give Monaghan the 7 day lay off.

For the Dublin fans, i'm not saying your fans are any more or less inclined towards soccer than anyone else. It's simply the attendance you bring. The group 2 double header will be near a sell out. The group 1 double header would attract about 45k with no distractions. Lets assume all Irish people are equally disposed to Soccer. Losing 30% of Group 2's double header crowd means a losing a lot more through the gate than 30% of Group 1s games.

March :)

Have played quite a number of championship games too on Saturday evenings over past few years. Including last year against Monaghan.

Your point being?
    It was a question, I wasn’t making a point.
    What’s the reasoning behind the 4 and 7 starts as opposed to 2 and 4 ?

grbear wrote: »
    They could have easily fixed the Monaghan-Laous game for Saturday instead of Sunday if they wanted to ensure the winner got a seven day break.

The game was in Navan, just like Kildare's game. It was the fairest neutral venue for all teams concerned. And they were hardly going to make it a double header!

The obsession with soccer on here and the belittling of people, particularly by certain posters, who enjoy the sport (a sport that is ingrained in Irish sporting culture for decades and decades and most people who play GAA grew up playing soccer) is downright f*cking pathetic.

A world cup final is of far greater interest to the majority of fans who enjoy both sports (a situation that is the norm) than a first round Super 8 game.

That is not an insult to GAA, I guarantee you the majority of Dublin, Tyrone, Roscommon, Donegal, Kildare and Monaghan fans and even players will be watching the WC final over the Kerry v Galway game.

Anyone that see's any issue with this or sees it as an indication that you are not a true GAA fan is ridiculous.

It is funny that it is the posters who claim to hate the sport that keep bringing the sport up.

I be thinking something to do with the Clare/Wexford game at 2. Maybe in case that games goes to extra time? In 2016 when Dublin played Donegal throw in was 6.

Sure the 3rd place play off is on ;) Dub fans would ant to see that!

Just told you. Traffic. Saturday being mad shopping day which eases off in evening. Sunday is quiet day which is why they generally have matches involving teams with longer journeys on Sundays. Donegal got the short end regarding the late start but AI champions are always going to be top of the bill.

Reason they don't play Dublin games on Fridays is that it might clash with the massively supported LOI teams in the city :)

I don't hate soccer. Used to play as a young fella and used to enjoy watching English games before it became grotesque and tedious soap opera owned by dodgy billionaires and played by characterless overpaid gits. You will find that a lot of former players share that view.

I do enjoy responding to other people making out that Dubs are somehow more likely to be soccer supporters than anyone else. Best supported LOI teams are Cork, Dundalk, Derry and Sligo. Fierce soccer men in those parts! Louth is probably only county where soccer teams are better supported than the county footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Who is saying Dublin fans are more likely to be soccer supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Just told you. Traffic. Saturday being mad shopping day which eases off in evening. Sunday is quiet day which is why they generally have matches involving teams with longer journeys on Sundays. Donegal got the short end regarding the late start but AI champions are always going to be top of the bill.

Reason they don't play Dublin games on Fridays is that it might clash with the massively supported LOI teams in the city :)

I don't hate soccer. Used to play as a young fella and used to enjoy watching English games before it became grotesque and tedious soap opera owned by dodgy billionaires and played by characterless overpaid gits. You will find that a lot of former players share that view.

I do enjoy responding to other people making out that Dubs are somehow more likely to be soccer supporters than anyone else. Best supported LOI teams are Cork, Dundalk, Derry and Sligo. Fierce soccer men in those parts! Louth is probably only county where soccer teams are better supported than the county footballers.

Dublin has 4 LOI teams compared to those places you named like cork Dundalk etc...if it was one Dublin club it would be most supported club. You would get a slating on the LOI thread lol...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Or Clare/Wexford at 2 as was posted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have the days for the 2nd and 3rd round of matches been fixed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Dublin has 4 LOI teams compared to those places you named like cork Dundalk etc...if it was one Dublin club it would be most supported club. You would get a slating on the LOI thread lol...

Not one of us who support our LOI teams would dream of supporting a "singular" Dublin LOI club if it meant the detriment of our clubs.

See "splitting Dublin Football".

grbear wrote: »
    Who is saying Dublin fans are more likely to be soccer supporters?

It has been suggested that Dublin match is on Saturday so that it doesn't clash with WC. Patently untrue given that 7 of last 8 Dublin matches at quarter final stage have been on Saturday evening.

The average combined home attendance for Dublin LOI clubs would still be smaller than Cork City, and only 20% of Dublin football home league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Not one of us who support our LOI teams would dream of supporting a "singular" Dublin LOI club if it meant the detriment of our clubs.

See "splitting Dublin Football".

I agree ya need a few teams for the rivalry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd say the reason why Kerry and Galway was fixed for 4 was that they would be expecting a low enough crowd for this anyway WC final or not.Neither side has a huge fanbase for earlier games and even more so in Dublin.

Putting a well supported team like Dublin, Roscommon or Monaghan on at the same time as the World Cup final would have a decent hit on attendance.

It would have been better for all parties if it was fixed for Limerick at 7 on Sunday. That way all sports fans are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

The game was in Navan, just like Kildare's game. It was the fairest neutral venue for all teams concerned. And they were hardly going to make it a double header!

The obsession with soccer on here and the belittling of people, particularly by certain posters, who enjoy the sport (a sport that is ingrained in Irish sporting culture for decades and decades and most people who play GAA grew up playing soccer) is downright f*cking pathetic.

A world cup final is of far greater interest to the majority of fans who enjoy both sports (a situation that is the norm) than a first round Super 8 game.

That is not an insult to GAA, I guarantee you the majority of Dublin, Tyrone, Roscommon, Donegal, Kildare and Monaghan fans and even players will be watching the WC final over the Kerry v Galway game.

Anyone that see's any issue with this or sees it as an indication that you are not a true GAA fan is ridiculous.

It is funny that it is the posters who claim to hate the sport that keep bringing the sport up.

Fact. I'd say of you looked at it closer you would find that Soccer is at least the 2nd preferred sport of these fans too.

Soccer is as much the national game as Football or Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It has been suggested that Dublin match is on Saturday so that it doesn't clash with WC. Patently untrue given that 7 of last 8 Dublin matches at quarter final stage have been on Saturday evening.

The average combined home attendance for Dublin LOI clubs would still be smaller than Cork City, and only 20% of Dublin football home league games.

Away off with you & your silly little "facts" to make a point. Everything is always a pro Dublin conspiracy. No matter what. All the time. Did you not get the memo on that? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Stoner wrote: »
    Bonnie I've spent time in the west and have seen lads there miss a game to watch soccer in a pub with a few pints.

My old man was a regular Dubs supporter and would talk about Liverpool v United games impacting on Dublin support.

It happens, sticking it to one set of supporters is the only error here

I'd say most of the regular posters here would say the same thing, every single gaa game arranged at the same time as a big soccer game will see a negative at the gate.

Sometimes it's just lads being lazy, sky sports in the local is more convenient.

Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club aren`t worried about fans of another sport it seems. No change in the time for the men`s single on 15th.
    And their country may actually have a team in the WC final.

Advertisement