Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Regardless of the Galway Kerry fans, the Donegal supporters are the ones who are getting shafted with no decent motorway/ rail links and a kick off time at 7pm.
    That's a disgrace.

Did Donegal not have any league games at 7pm on a Saturday? I know I've often got home from Dublin league games well after midnight in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

Did Donegal not have any league games at 7pm on a Saturday? I know I've often got home from Dublin league games well after midnight in the winter.

Ya but if you left the pub earlier that wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

threeball wrote: »
    Ya but if you left the pub earlier that wouldn't have happened.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Stoner wrote: »
    Bonnie I've spent time in the west and have seen lads there miss a game to watch soccer in a pub with a few pints.

My old man was a regular Dubs supporter and would talk about Liverpool v United games impacting on Dublin support.

It happens, sticking it to one set of supporters is the only error here

I'd say most of the regular posters here would say the same thing, every single gaa game arranged at the same time as a big soccer game will see a negative at the gate.

Sometimes it's just lads being lazy, sky sports in the local is more convenient.
    Look a clash with the world cup will have a bigger affect on the crowd at the Dublin Donegal match more than the Galway kerry game, for lots of reasons.

Its not a personal criticism of die hard parnell pass O Byrne cup attending Dublin supporters, but it is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Regardless of the Galway Kerry fans, the Donegal supporters are the ones who are getting shafted with no decent motorway/ rail links and a kick off time at 7pm.
    That's a disgrace.
    Rail links? Youd be quicker cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sound

Or like all Dubs were you watching your "beloved Accrington Stanley." Come on, out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It has been suggested that Dublin match is on Saturday so that it doesn't clash with WC. Patently untrue given that 7 of last 8 Dublin matches at quarter final stage have been on Saturday evening.

The average combined home attendance for Dublin LOI clubs would still be smaller than Cork City, and only 20% of Dublin football home league games.

Rubbish, you have a chip on your shoulder about soccer, thats fine but at least dont pull figures out of your arse. Dublin's LOI clubs average attendances are approx twice that of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Rubbish, you have a chip on your shoulder about soccer, thats fine but at least dont pull figures out of your arse. Dublin's LOI clubs average attendances are approx twice that of Cork

There is no Dublin LOI team with average attendance bigger than Cork.

Anyway, what's a few hundred here or there. Be like arguing how many people go windsurfing. All paltry marginal figures.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There is no Dublin LOI team with average attendance bigger than Cork.

Anyway, what's a few hundred here or there. Be like arguing how many people go windsurfing. All paltry marginal figures.

No theres not and no one is arguing that there is but what you said and what is rubbish is
    The average combined home attendance for Dublin LOI clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ah lads...

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ah lads...

Sorry. :o Pet hate of mine lads posting bs stats and then trying to back out of it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone else read fingers for figures first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Stoner wrote: »
    Anyone else read fingers for figures first time around

Whatever you’re into! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Martin567 wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing I would take serious issue with.

The World Cup Final happens once every four years. Lots of genuine county supporters are also interested in the World Cup. Somebody who would rather watch a bad junior c game in driving sleet rather than a WC final would not constitute my definition of a 'genuine' supporter. I would struggle to understand how anyone who loves sport could feel like that.

As an aside, I love most sports and this World Cup has been particularly brilliant so far.

I dont know what you feel you have to take issue with. I have already said to me that I find soccer mind-numbing boring.
    I would class myself as a genuine lover of football and hurling, not a "genuine" supporter of all sports.

I am a member of my local GAA club, I coach kids in football two evenings a week, have managed club teams at all levels, look after the club weekly lotto, attend club and county games on a regular basis and I am a county season ticket holder.

The WC is of absolutely no interest too me. If people wish to watch it on television rather than support their own county team in an All Ireland championship then good to them.
    Why they believe GAA supporters like myself should be inconvenienced with throw-in times to convenience them, (especially in a tournament Ireland isn`t even involved in) is beyond me.

sightband wrote: »
    Hurling at last is now open competition, football isn’t anymore.

Sorry, I just don`t get that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

charlie14 wrote: »

Dublin won 3 in a row and odds on favs to win again this year
    The days of Kilkenny doing the same in hurling have passed
    For now anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I don't much either being entirely honest, I was exceptionally inebriated when I posted that. I went into the thread and read that and I have absolutely no recollection of posting it. Need to lay off the hooch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

km79 wrote: »
    Dublin won 3 in a row and odds on favs to win again this year
    The days of Kilkenny doing the same in hurling have passed
    For now anyway

thanks...maybe that's what i was thinking.

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I dont know what you feel you have to take issue with. I have already said to me that I find soccer mind-numbing boring.
    I would class myself as a genuine lover of football and hurling, not a "genuine" supporter of all sports.

I am a member of my local GAA club, I coach kids in football two evenings a week, have managed club teams at all levels, look after the club weekly lotto, attend club and county games on a regular basis and I am a county season ticket holder.

The WC is of absolutely no interest too me. If people wish to watch it on television rather than support their own county team in an All Ireland championship then good to them.
    Why they believe GAA supporters like myself should be inconvenienced with throw-in times to convenience them, (especially in a tournament Ireland isn`t even involved in) is beyond me.

You are absolutely entitled to like or not like anything. I have no issue with that.

What I do take issue with is the clear implication in your posts that 'genuine' GAA supporters wouldn't be interested in another sport. There are very many people extremely interested in the World Cup who would certainly classify themselves as genuine lovers of the GAA too.

You ask why should GAA supporters be inconvenienced to satisfy these people? I would ask why should these GAA supporters be ignored by those with a much narrower definition of what it means to be a genuine GAA supporter.

This is the World Cup Final after all, the biggest football game played in any four year period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't much either being entirely honest, I was exceptionally inebriated when I posted that. I went into the thread and read that and I have absolutely no recollection of posting it. Need to lay off the hooch.

That's loser talk. You just need to get better at drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You are absolutely entitled to like or not like anything. I have no issue with that.

What I do take issue with is the clear implication in your posts that 'genuine' GAA supporters wouldn't be interested in another sport. There are very many people extremely interested in the World Cup who would certainly classify themselves as genuine lovers of the GAA too.

You ask why should GAA supporters be inconvenienced to satisfy these people? I would ask why should these GAA supporters be ignored by those with a much narrower definition of what it means to be a genuine GAA supporter.

This is the World Cup Final after all, the biggest football game played in any four year period.

It'll be 0-0 and penalties
    Record it and fast forward through the dross

What I do take issue with is the clear implication in your posts that 'genuine' GAA supporters wouldn't be interested in another sports. There are very many people extremely interested in the World Cup who would certainly classify themselves as genuine lovers of the GAA too.

The biggest game for me played in any period would be watching my county win an All Ireland and having been to as many games as humanly possible to have supported them.

Life is all about choices. Everyone has a right to make whatever choices they wish.
    What they do not have a right to do is make choices that inconvenience others and expect other to be honk dory with it.

People can be interested in as many sports as they wish, but I would have difficulty in attaching "genuine" to anyone whose choice would be to watch two countries in a tournament where their own country is not even involved on television, rather than support their own county team at the quarter final stages of an All Ireland series.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

The biggest game for me played in any period would be watching my county win an All Ireland and having been to as many games as humanly possible to have supported them.

Life is all about choices. Everyone has a right to make whatever choices they wish.
    What they do not have a right to do is make choices that inconvenience others and expect other to be honk dory with it.

People can be interested in as many sports as they wish, but I would have difficulty in attaching "genuine" to anyone whose choice would be to watch two countries in a tournament where their own country is not even involved on television, rather than support their own county team at the quarter final stages of an All Ireland series.

You are contradicting yourself here. In this instance the fixture setters have made a choice to fix a big game at the same time as the World Cup Final. This obviously inconveniences those who would like to see both and those people are understandably unhappy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:
    Whatever you’re into!

So long as it's not soccer

You are contradicting yourself here. In this instance the fixture setters have made a choice to fix a big game at the same time as the World Cup Final. This obviously inconveniences those who would like to see both and those people are understandably unhappy.

In my opinion far dues to them for doing so. Rather than setting a time that would inconvenience those that wish to support their county teams in the flesh, for the convenience of some who may prefer to watch a tournament that Ireland were not even involved in on the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I

Must

Tell

Everyone

That

I

Hate

Soccer

To

Make

Me

Feel

A

"Real "

GAA

Fan.

"Inconvenienced" . Dublin fans who the GAA hierarchy do everything they can all year round to accommodate the Dubs and their fans moaning about being Inconvenienced by a ball being thrown in a few hours later or earlier. Such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I

Must

Tell

Everyone

That

I

Hate

Soccer

To

Make

Me

Feel

A

"Real "

GAA

Fan.

"Inconvenienced" . Dublin fans who the GAA hierarchy do everything they can all year round to accommodate the Dubs and their fans moaning about being Inconvenienced by a ball being thrown in a few hours later or earlier. Such nonsense.

I’ve read some dross in this thread but this takes the biscuit. Some people just need to have a dig at other counties, sad as it it it’s a reality!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I’ve read some dross in this thread but this takes the biscuit. Some people just need to have a dig at other counties, sad as it it it’s a reality!!!!

I am referring to the specific posters who are Dublin fans (I amn't generalising Dublin fans) that keep on harping on about ho much they hate soccer etc.

I don't tend to have digs at other counties at all. It is the reality that the GAA accomodate Dublin GAA more. They are a massive cash cow

Advertisement