Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

charlie14 wrote: »
    Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club aren`t worried about fans of another sport it seems. No change in the time for the men`s single on 15th.
    And their country may actually have a team in the WC final.

That’s because they know you can watch both at the same time. Watch the tennis on Centre court while having the WC final on your phone . Same with Galway Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club aren`t worried about fans of another sport it seems. No change in the time for the men`s single on 15th.

Surely you mean The All England Lawn Tennis and Croqet club ?

Wimbledon Tennis club is a "tupenny hapenny" place up the road that even I would be able to join.

I agree with you point about them not moving their final though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

charlie14 wrote:
    Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club aren`t worried about fans of another sport it seems. No change in the time for the men`s single on 15th. And their country may actually have a team in the WC final.

True, but where I grew up everyone played football in the street not tennis.

I'd say plenty shared this upbringing, except in Donegal where the naturally flat lush landscape produces beautiful tennis courts in every town and village.

BTW I had a good insight into Wimbledon a few years ago. It's a licence to print money, they have no issues making money, it's making English champions that is their main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Bonniedog wrote: »
    grbear wrote: »
    Who is saying Dublin fans are more likely to be soccer supporters?

It has been suggested that Dublin match is on Saturday so that it doesn't clash with WC. Patently untrue given that 7 of last 8 Dublin matches at quarter final stage have been on Saturday evening.

The average combined home attendance for Dublin LOI clubs would still be smaller than Cork City, and only 20% of Dublin football home league games.
    That doesn't answer the question I asked.

The group 2 double header will probably attract a crowd of around 80,000. On a good day the group 1 double header would be doing well to get 40,000 through the turnstiles. Suggesting that the GAA decided to schedule the group 2 match in a way to maximize attendances is in no way a slight on Dublin fans. If you were faced with losing x% of 40,000 ticket sales or x% of 80,000 tickets then everyone would choose to take the hit on the 40,000 tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Considering that Wimbledon is already sold out and they have all their sponsorships paid, there is no significant financial implications of altering the arrangement to accomodate the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Couldn't give a flying f about the WC final

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Surely you mean The All England Lawn Tennis and Croqet club ?

Wimbledon Tennis club is a "tupenny hapenny" place up the road that even I would be able to join.

I agree with you point about them not moving their final though.

As someone who is not even sure which sport you play wearing white, tennis, cricket or both, (and even if their were clubs for either that would let me join for a penny farthing I would not be interested), I bow to your superior knowledge.:)

Stoner wrote: »
    True, but where I grew up everyone played football in the street not tennis.

I'd say plenty shared this upbringing, except in Donegal where the naturally flat lush landscape produces beautiful tennis courts in every town and village.

BTW I had a good insight into Wimbledon a few years ago. It's a licence to print money, they have no issues making money, it's making English champions that is their main concern.

It has always been a mystery to me that with all that flat lush landscape we became a football county rather than a hurling one. :)

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I don't care about the F1 or the tennis but I don't come on here to announce it as if it is some patriotic medal of honour.

I honestly don't get why some Gaa fan's who don't like soccer continuously have to harp on about it or attempt to use someone liking the sport as an insult!

It is so boring.

I don't care about the F1 or the tennis but I don't come on here to announce it as if it is some patriotic medal of honour.

I honestly don't get why some Gaa fan's who don't like soccer continuously have to harp on about it or attempt to use someone liking the sport as an insult!

It is so boring.

I thanked that post because WC final or not soccer is a game that bores me to death. I would sooner watch a bad junior c game in driving sleet. Nothing to do with patriotic medals of honour.
    If people wish to watch two countries in a tournament where Ireland are not involved on television, rather than come out and support their own county team, that is their choice and good luck to them. I just fail to see why genuine county supporters should be inconvenienced so they can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thanks

It is so boring.

This is a GAA forum.

I've watched maybe 4 games in the WC cause they are generally boring and full of prima donnas.

I'd skip family occasions just to watch most GAA county games on the tv

This is a GAA forum.

I've watched maybe 4 games in the WC cause they are generally boring and full of prima donnas.

Precisely!

Yet there is an unhealthy negative obsession with soccer fans on it! Ironically it is the soccer haters that keep bringing up the sport!
    "I'd skip family occasions just to watch most GAA county games on the tv"

So what?! Again, why the need to tell people this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

This is a GAA forum.

I'd skip family occasions just to watch most GAA county games on the tv

Everyone's a winner then :)

Speaking of which, who do we have down to win this weekend?

Tyrone
    Dublin
    Monaghan
    Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

If it just me or does it seem Hurling is the favorite sport with RTE this summer.

It’s heading for mid July and it feels like I’ve watching loads of hurling this summer and hardly any football.

I know the Super 8s are kicking off this weekend but the majority of people are going to watch Kilkenny v Limerick at 2pm and WC final at 4pm.

Everyone's a winner then :)

Speaking of which, who do we have down to win this weekend?

Tyrone
    Dublin
    Monaghan
    Galway

Being a Donegal man it pains me on a couple of levels, but here are mine

Tyrone
    Dublin
    Monaghan

Kerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

conor05 wrote: »
    If it just me or does it seem Hurling is the favorite sport with RTE this summer.

It’s heading for mid July and it feels like I’ve watching loads of hurling this summer and hardly any football.

I know the Super 8s are kicking off this weekend but the majority of people are going to watch Kilkenny v Limerick at 2pm and WC final at 4pm.

Hurling at last is now open competition, football isn’t anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

grbear wrote: »
    That doesn't answer the question I asked.

The group 2 double header will probably attract a crowd of around 80,000. On a good day the group 1 double header would be doing well to get 40,000 through the turnstiles. Suggesting that the GAA decided to schedule the group 2 match in a way to maximize attendances is in no way a slight on Dublin fans. If you were faced with losing x% of 40,000 ticket sales or x% of 80,000 tickets then everyone would choose to take the hit on the 40,000 tickets.

The group 2 games would still get a vastly bigger crowd if played on the Sunday. Dubs, Donegal, Tyrone are along with Mayo the best supported teams in the country. Do you seriously imagine that any of them would miss this to watch an invariably mind numbing game that has no connection to Ireland. If it was Ireland possibly playing then yes, it would make sense to move the games. Not for any other reason.

the ones who brought soccer onto this thread were those who suggested that Dublin supporters would prefer watching that game than lads from their own clubs and streets. Right! Learn some fkn history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

Roscommon
    Dublin
    Monaghan
    Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

sightband wrote: »
    Hurling at last is now open competition, football isn’t anymore.

There was an article going round last November saying RTE Tv viewings were way down for football semi finals and final compared to the hurling equivalent..

That and the open competition you mentioned could be why RTE are pushing the hurling.

Still the Super 8s will be full flow for July and August so plenty of football to see yet!

I enjoy both sports thoroughly but the hurling had the juices flowing the last weekends!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Away off with you & your silly little "facts" to make a point. Everything is always a pro Dublin conspiracy. No matter what. All the time. Did you not get the memo on that? :rolleyes:

If I see one more childish pro/anti-Dublin post from the same tiny handful of posters I think I'll just unsubscribe and **** off to somewhere with adults. Boring as **** the lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I thanked that post because WC final or not soccer is a game that bores me to death. I would sooner watch a bad junior c game in driving sleet. Nothing to do with patriotic medals of honour.
    If people wish to watch two countries in a tournament where Ireland are not involved on television, rather than come out and support their own county team, that is their choice and good luck to them. I just fail to see why genuine county supporters should be inconvenienced so they can do that.

This is the sort of thing I would take serious issue with.

The World Cup Final happens once every four years. Lots of genuine county supporters are also interested in the World Cup. Somebody who would rather watch a bad junior c game in driving sleet rather than a WC final would not constitute my definition of a 'genuine' supporter. I would struggle to understand how anyone who loves sport could feel like that.

As an aside, I love most sports and this World Cup has been particularly brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If I see one more childish pro/anti-Dublin post from the same tiny handful of posters I think I'll just unsubscribe and **** off to somewhere with adults. Boring as **** the lot of it.

There are posters here who are totally and unhealthily obsessed with Dublin. Perhaps they are best ignored, but it is hard to resist, especially when they are talking through their behinds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are they ?

The reason you see so much hurling is because the hurling season was "front loaded" with the Munster and Leinster round robin games.
    The football championship has been "back loaded" with quarter final groups.
    You will be seeing a lot of football in the coming weeks.

There are extra games in both codes but because the format changes have come during a TV rights cycle the number of televised games has remained the same, thus early season football game were sacrificed for hurling round robin games.

The next TV rights deal may see a rebalancing of the number of games shown in proportion to the number of games being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

There was an article going round last November saying RTE Tv viewings were way down for football semi finals and final compared to the hurling equivalent..

That and the open competition you mentioned could be why RTE are pushing the hurling.

Still the Super 8s will be full flow for July and August so plenty of football to see yet!

I enjoy both sports thoroughly but the hurling had the juices flowing the last weekends!!

Actually, the football final normally draws a bigger audience than the hurling final, and 2017 was no different. The football final viewing figure in 2017 was also an increase on the previous couple of years. Dublin's involvement all three years probably helps to keep the figure high.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/rte-all-ireland-final-viewing-figures-373904

As other posters have said, the reason why there has so far been a lot of hurling on 2018's TV is simply the way the season is now structured. It's "front-loaded" with attractive hurling round-robin matches, while the attractive round-robin football fixtures are only starting this weekend.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There are posters here who are totally and unhealthily obsessed with Dublin. Perhaps they are best ignored, but it is hard to resist, especially when they are talking through their behinds :)

Hard not to when Dublin county board seem to be getting preferential treatment for everything

Coaching funding (from central funds)
    Home games
    Sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Martin567 wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing I would take serious issue with.

The World Cup Final happens once every four years. Lots of genuine county supporters are also interested in the World Cup. Somebody who would rather watch a bad junior c game in driving sleet rather than a WC final would not constitute my definition of a 'genuine' supporter. I would struggle to understand how anyone who loves sport could feel like that.

As an aside, I love most sports and this World Cup has been particularly brilliant so far.

Dead right.

The vast, vast majority of club footballers around the country would certainly be tuning into the World Cup Final on Sunday. Perhaps it doesn't bother a few ardent 'wendyball' beaners to miss the World Cup Final, but it's silly to make large amounts of genuine GAA players and fans have to make a straight choice between that and an All-Ireland quarter final.

It's daft that Galway and Kerry supporters have to go to Dublin to play at all, but that's a battle for another congress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

elefant wrote: »
    Dead right.

The vast, vast majority of club footballers around the country would certainly be tuning into the World Cup Final on Sunday. Perhaps it doesn't bother a few ardent 'wendyball' beaners to miss the World Cup Final, but it's silly to make large amounts of genuine GAA players and fans have to make a straight choice between that and an All-Ireland quarter final.

It's daft that Galway and Kerry supporters have to go to Dublin to play at all, but that's a battle for another congress

Well said and I could not agree more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

elefant wrote: »
    Dead right.

It's daft that Galway and Kerry supporters have to go to Dublin to play at all, but that's a battle for another congress.

Regardless of the Galway Kerry fans, the Donegal supporters are the ones who are getting shafted with no decent motorway/ rail links and a kick off time at 7pm.
    That's a disgrace.

Advertisement