Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

Options
1129130131132133135»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not true. Dublin will finish second in their group if they lose to Roscommon and Tyrone/Donegal is not a draw.

Head to head counts first, Dublin have already beaten both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Head to head counts first, Dublin have already beaten both teams

Ah OK - my bad. I thought it was points diff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ah OK - my bad. I thought it was points diff

Points difference for two or more teams. And in the case of Monaghan and Kerry, because their game was a draw, it could go down to points diff between those teams for second place

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Points difference for two or more teams. And in the case of Monaghan and Kerry, because their game was a draw, it could go down to points diff between those teams for second place

Kerry need a five-point swing to draw level with Monaghan, a six-point swing to finish ahead. If Monaghan lose by 1, Kerry need to win by 5, lose by 2, win by 4 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

After Munster final, really felt Kerry could challenge Dublin. Seen them in the flesh last Sunday, they where very disappointing. A number of key players off form. Full back line at sea, the keeper way to pedestrian on Kick out. Midfield were poor. All this points to a Dublin win. The days of Dublin perhaps playing all out attacking football may be over. I’d suspect they’d strangle the life out of Kerry. Lads would drop back and play deep.

In saying that, Kerry always play well v the dubs. Last 3 games championship have been very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think that the problem is that many people start their analysis of matchups vs Dublin with the assumption that everything is going to go right for the other team. Sure if O'Shea plays out of his skin, and Geaney and Clifford also play out of their skin, and Fitzmaurice gets his tactics spot on and the defence manage to contain the Dublin attack and the Kerry midfield somehow compete with McCarthy, and Cluxton has a bad day with the kickouts then Kerry would be there or thereabouts, but how likely are all of those things to happen? I just think that there are too many things going wrong for Kerry for it all to come good.

But do any of the other teams even have this potential "to be there or thereabouts if everything goes right on the day." Galway maybe, but do Galway really believe 'in their bones' they can beat Dublin?

But do any of the other teams even have this potential "to be there or thereabouts if everything goes right on the day." Galway maybe, but do Galway really believe 'in their bones' they can beat Dublin?

Probably not. Dublin would bring the best out in Geaney for example. Don’t know why but it just would. Probably the history of the clash and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

So who do we think is most likely to put it up to Dublin this year? I still think in spite of all their travails it could be Kerry. I reckon they have the most potential to score heavily against a tight defence. Plus Dublin could be slightly more vulnerable in the semi than the final...
    I'm trying to be objective here but even so I am still going to say Galway but only because I think the full forward line puts them marginally ahead of the other contenders. However, I don't think they are good enough to beat Dublin unless they get a massive slice of good fortune on the day.

It's weird, and more than a bit scary, that it seems to be universally accepted that Dublin aren't playing as well as they did last year but they are still everyone's clear favourite for the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

grbear wrote: »
    I'm trying to be objective here but even so I am still going to say Galway but only because I think the full forward line puts them marginally ahead of the other contenders. However, I don't think they are good enough to beat Dublin unless they get a massive slice of good fortune on the day.

It's weird, and more than a bit scary, that it seems to be universally accepted that Dublin aren't playing as well as they did last year but they are still everyone's clear favourite for the All-Ireland.

Dublin have been extremely efficient at game management this year - build up a lead of five to six points by the middle of the second half and see the game out by controlling it.

It was noticeable again in Omagh that in the first half they left at least Rock plus one other up front, but by the last 20 minutes were keeping everybody behind the ball when they lost possession. It was as if they believed that no team can catch them when they go ahead so all that is required is to protect the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »
    After Munster final, really felt Kerry could challenge Dublin. Seen them in the flesh last Sunday, they where very disappointing. A number of key players off form. Full back line at sea, the keeper way to pedestrian on Kick out. Midfield were poor. All this points to a Dublin win. The days of Dublin perhaps playing all out attacking football may be over. I’d suspect they’d strangle the life out of Kerry. Lads would drop back and play deep.

In saying that, Kerry always play well v the dubs. Last 3 games championship have been very close.

Last 3 championship games:

AISF 2013:
    Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11

AIF 2015:
    Dublin 0-12 Kerry 0-09

AISF 2016:
    Dublin 0-22 Kerry 2-14

I dunno about that now having been at all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

AISF 2013:
    Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11

AIF 2015:
    Dublin 0-12 Kerry 0-09

AISF 2016:
    Dublin 0-22 Kerry 2-14

All the games were competitive until the last 5-10 minutes. Not only that there was stages in all the ganes where It looked like Kerry might win. While Mayo were closer to Dublin score wise you always had the feeling that Mayo would bottle it. In 2013 and 2016 Kerry just had not got the bench to close out the game in 2015 it was Fitzmaurice reluctance to change tactics and bring on Donaghy earlier along with letting the Gooch( same in 2016) on the pitch after his bolt was run that made Dublin job easier.

I was at all three as well and both 2013 and 2016 were helter skelter games with Dublin looking like running away with them Kerry coming back and going ahead by 5ish points and then being unable to sustain the pace. The conditions for the 2015 match made it a different type of game.

I was at 2013 and 2017 All Ireland Finals and while they were entralling contests you always got the feeling that Mayo would find a way to lose.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

AISF 2013:
    Dublin 3-18 Kerry 3-11

AIF 2015:
    Dublin 0-12 Kerry 0-09

AISF 2016:
    Dublin 0-22 Kerry 2-14

All of those were competitive games, not sure what point you are trying to make.

Irrelevant now anyway. Two very different teams at this stage with Dublin ahead in every way I can think of. I think Dublin would hammer us if we happen to meet this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

For some reason- I’ve watched the game back again and leaving McManus 1 on 1 inside has to be a sackable offence for Fitzmaurice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

grbear wrote: »

With the team that has run them closest over the last few seasons already out, and Kerry playing muck then there is not too much to choose from.

Galway have improved but people still have their doubts about them, as Thomas O Se articulated on the Sunday Game last Sunday night.

There is not much out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

[/b]

With the team that has run them closest over the last few seasons already out, and Kerry playing muck then there is not too much to choose from.

Galway have improved but people still have their doubts about them, as Thomas O Se articulated on the Sunday Game last Sunday night.

There is not much out there.

For the first time in my life I have over analysed Dublin's potential to win a four in a row. With Mayo gone and an unimpressive Kerry in the mix, I really don't see Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan being up to it. Depending on the draw, Galway may come close, but it does look like a Dublin All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

In other news Denis Connerton has stepped down from Longford job. He did reasonably well with the panel he had and had them performing consistently.
    Maybe he feels a new voice will bring them on to the next stage. I wish him well.

Few managerial casualties

Down
    Louth
    Waterford
    Westmeath
    Longford
    Cavan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Few managerial casualties

Down
    Louth
    Waterford
    Westmeath
    Longford
    Cavan

Louth bainisteoir was always going to have go unless he brought Sam back, no surprise there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Cathal Corey has stood down as Sligo manager after one awful season, get O'Hara in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

sightband wrote: »
    Louth bainisteoir was always going to have go unless he brought Sam back, no surprise there.

If that is going to be the yardstick a new manager is going to be judged on, somehow I cannot see too many being injured in the rush for the job.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Cathal Corey has stood down as Sligo manager after one awful season, get O'Hara in now.

I`ve a feeling if he did he would quickly learn the difference between being outside the tent urinating in and being inside the tent urinating out. Something from much of his commentary he seems unaware off.

Advertisement