Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was in a couple of Topaz/Circle K places recently where they've upgraded their card terminals, and they now fully support Google Pay/Apple Pay. They're a bit odd in that you have to "tap" on the left hand side of the terminal rather than the top, but it works fine for payments over €30 without the till generating a spurious slip requesting a signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Love Google Pay. I forgot my wallet yesterday and only realised at the checkout so could use the phone instead. Before that would have been an embarrassing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Can i use my debit card on a second phone so my wife can use goole pay with my card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

paddyref wrote: »
    Can i use my debit card on a second phone so my wife can use goole pay with my card?

Yep. Works as well with a combination of apple pay and google pay too (my wife has iphone with my cards, I have android...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Alun wrote: »
     They're a bit odd in that you have to "tap" on the left hand side of the terminal rather than the top, but it works fine for payments over €30 without the till generating a spurious slip requesting a signature.
    Yeah, those type are common on the continent. They confused me at the time as i had no idea what they were trying to say to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, those type are common on the continent. They confused me at the time as i had no idea what they were trying to say to me!

i see these all of time in Greece,anybody know the brand name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Tesco still not accepting it for transactions over 30 tried today and greeted with message over limit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

https://pay.google.com/about/

It works anywhere that accepts contactless card payments, which is nearly everywhere that accepts cards. Just ask to pay with card.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Does it really though? I know it should, but...
    Don't some places (Maxol IIRC for one) look at you like you've 3 heads and make you sign paperwork to use it?

That's why I was wondering about the accuracy of the list. Like if I search locally now the chippers, chemist, off licence, and veg shop all show up but the newsagents isn't on the list. They all accept card contactless though.

_
    It'll work in all those places if contactless works. The list is just a guide it'll never be complete. Maxol is a bit special as their machines inexplicably print a receipt for you to sign after you've completed the transaction. Entirely pointless as there's no signature to compare against, I've only ever drawn a line on the space and there's been no bother.

The only think I'd say is don't ever ask to pay with Google Pay, it confuses lots of shop assistants and some say no to be on the safe side. Just ask to pay with card but use your phone. There's no difference from their point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Google Pay now available through Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Never used NFC on my phones, never mind Google Pay. I'm thinking of setting it up anyway - have forgotten the wallet twice in the last week or two! Although i'd prefer chip and pin when I have my card, can I simply leave NFC turned off then just turn it on when walking into a shop, tap payments then turn it off again? Don't want it eating battery either. Huawei P20. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

rizzee wrote: »
    Never used NFC on my phones, never mind Google Pay. I'm thinking of setting it up anyway - have forgotten the wallet twice in the last week or two! Although i'd prefer chip and pin when I have my card, can I simply leave NFC turned off then just turn it on when walking into a shop, tap payments then turn it off again? Don't want it eating battery either. Huawei P20. Thanks.

That's what I do. NFC doesn't eat battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Reati wrote: »
    That's what I do. NFC doesn't eat battery.

Great, thanks. I'll get it set up over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Google Pay now available through Revolut

For everyone? When I try add my card it tells me it's not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

For everyone? When I try add my card it tells me it's not supported.

It appears to work for their Mastercards but not their Visa cards. It possibly also only works for their physical cards, not their digital ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

happy days just got a tank of diesel at topaz/ circle k , no problems, bye bye BOI

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Slightly related. Garmin pay now working with KBC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

i get told that as well but i just tell them that's card only phone will work over €30
    they say try then and it works,

only exception to this is tesco ive found wont work over €30 need to insert card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I had the same in Dunnes last week, wouldn't let me pay for €40 without putting in a physical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I've noticed recently that payment details don't appear in the app history instantly anymore, it's updating the following day.
    Anyone else having this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I've noticed recently that payment details don't appear in the app history instantly anymore, it's updating the following day.
    Anyone else having this issue ?

All my payments from today there in app.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

It was 42.50

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I've never been rejected a payment over 30. On the Weekend I spend about 50 at Spar on Booze, 60 at the Mad Egg Restaurant, 50 at Tesco and another 90 at Arnotts.

• Advertisement

Which Tesco out of interest? We were compiling a list of the ones it worked at at some stage.

Advertisement