Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Any one know where list of retailer which accept payment over 30€ is ? i cannot seem find it in this thread

Avoca has accepted it.
    kellys Pharmacy in Clondalkin has accepted it.
    Courtyard outside Kells has accepted it.
    Applegreen has accepted it.
    Thats off the top of my head, there has been countless others.
    As you can see though, the list is varied, from small businesses to large ones.
    Just ask if you can pay by card. If it has a contactless symbol, it should go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Super valu and boots have for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Any one know where list of retailer which accept payment over 30€ is ? i cannot seem find it in this thread

Marks & Spencer accept over €30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Haven't come across any that don't accept it in the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Tescos are still limited to €30. Even with the app open, a >€30 transaction still won't go through.

Bit annoying for a large supermarket chain to impose this limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

polaris68 wrote: »
    Tescos are still limited to €30. Even with the app open, a >€30 transaction still won't go through.

Bit annoying for a large supermarket chain to impose this limit.
    Are you using the regular checkouts or the self service? Haven't had this problem at the self service.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Used Pay in Tesco today for 50€,work fine with no issue.Then on my break in work i went to a Spar which it have always worked in consistently to get lunch ~7€&it was declined.Try again and it was decline so i paid with chip&pin.Have any one have these soft of issue before with the transaction get declined?Maybe just a dodgy terminal but it was a moment i was glad to have my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are you using the regular checkouts or the self service? Haven't had this problem at the self service.

Regular checkout, it was the girl who told me there was a €30 limit.

I'll try it again as it may have just been a dodgy terminal at that till.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've yet to encounter a Tesco self service till that shows the tap & pay symbol if the price goes over €30, I must keep an eye out though.

Probably an obvious answer to this, but if I have no network coverage I assume android pay still works?

polaris68 wrote: »
    Regular checkout, it was the girl who told me there was a €30 limit.

I'll try it again as it may have just been a dodgy terminal at that till.
    dulpit wrote: »
    I've yet to encounter a Tesco self service till that shows the tap & pay symbol if the price goes over €30, I must keep an eye out though.

Probably an obvious answer to this, but if I have no network coverage I assume android pay still works?
    In regard to the self service,i was just in a Tesco i Never be to before,it was a cards only til, one it went over 30€ the Contactless option was grey but it was showing on terminal so I tried it and it kept saying card removed too soon over and over.But it's worked totally fine in many other self service Tesco,very odd they seem not uniform. As for whether it work offline it does,up to 5time i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

I have tried to use it to pay for transactions >€30 a few times in Tesco Roselawn and the payment does not go through. The staff have all been aware of Android Pay and have said that it doesn't work for >€30.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I've paid way over 30 EUR in Tesco Jervis and bought a 400 EURO GPU in Maplin Jervis, also bought a Switch Controller in Gamestop Henry Street so it works for sure.

it is so odd there are tesco that accept it and tesco that don't when they were launch partner of the service.Very confusing for end user

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Why the hell are TSB so far behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Outstanding news. I can now scrap my KBC account application.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Outstanding news. I can now scrap my KBC account application.

I switched from Ulster to KBC and have to say that the overall impression, customer service/etc from KBC is way ahead of Ulster Bank. Just my €0.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

dulpit wrote: »
    I switched from Ulster to KBC and have to say that the overall impression, customer service/etc from KBC is way ahead of Ulster Bank. Just my €0.02.

Ya I know but I already have the ufirstgold account which I find the extra benefits are great so it's just easier to use that than open another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Anyone else had this?

I used Android Pay in the official M8 services operated by Topaz and was asked to sign a slip for a small transaction?!

Kind of defeats the purpose of Android Pay or Apple Pay entirely. She said it's a requirement for all phone transactions now.

I can't even understand what use my scrawl on a slip of paper is to them anyway!

Only in Ireland!!

Anyone else had this?

I used Android Pay in the official M8 services operated by Topaz and was asked to sign a slip for a small transaction?!

Kind of defeats the purpose of Android Pay or Apple Pay entirely. She said it's a requirement for all phone transactions now.

I can't even understand what use my scrawl on a slip of paper is to them anyway!

Only in Ireland!!

Every topaz does that, in my experience. Definitely a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone else had this?

Only in Ireland!!

Do they do it for Contactless on a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I will be in France next week.

Will Android Pay (linked to KBC) work in France?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Do they do it for Contactless on a card?

Apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure my signing a squiggle they can't be verified in any way on a bit of paper makes all the difference.

I just don't understand why a % of irish retailers go out of their way to cause problems for card payments.

I was in Dublin Airport the other day and one of the restaurants selling coffee wouldn't take cards for less than €5.00 - the one place people are likely to have no cash on them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I just don't understand why a % of irish retailers go out of their way to cause problems for card payments.

Do you think it is the retailer consciously causing problems for card payments, or do you think there are other factors at play?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you think it is the retailer consciously causing problems for card payments, or do you think there are other factors at play?

I think there's a bit of both.

There's lack of competition or possibly (more likely) inertia which is preventing some retailers form seeking out value-for-money card processing.

However, there are also some retailers that are just a bit backwards about implementing new technology. I know when I used Android Pay initially, I had a situation where someone actually grabbed my phone out of my hand yelling STOP! What are you doing? We don't take phones!!!

I also tried to use Stocard in a branch of Spar with their QR coded / barcoded tag and was accused of trying "hack the till".

I'm sorry to say this but there's an element of Ireland's retail sector that is living somewhere in about 1955 and would be more comfortable with cheques and shillings and pence.

I get really annoyed though when I see things like €10 minimum for credit cards or in one case at a tourism destination in Kerry, €15 !?
    It comes across as both technophobic and a bit weird. I know to a lot of US tourists, it tends to come across as if someone's trying to take payment in cash under the counter.

At best, it's extremely tourist-unfriendly.

Also, it assumes that handling cash is completely free-of-charge. Banks charge fees to accept cash too and there are huge security risks in handling it for anyone dealing with high volumes in particular.

If I were running a petrol station, I would be bending over backwards to ensure that people paid by card as much as possible to keep cash floats low.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Had an odd one today in Aldi for a > €30 transaction. In the past for transactions over €30 I'd have to re-enter my PIN on the phone to confirm each time, but I now have a new phone and it just let it go through. Now, my new phone has fingerprint recognition set up, so I'm wondering if that's the difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Alun wrote: »
    Had an odd one today in Aldi for a > €30 transaction. In the past for transactions over €30 I'd have to re-enter my PIN on the phone to confirm each time, but I now have a new phone and it just let it go through. Now, my new phone has fingerprint recognition set up, so I'm wondering if that's the difference?

Did you unlock it with the fingerprint? If so, that's probably it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Carroller wrote: »
    Why the hell are TSB so far behind!

It's ridiculous. I somehow get quite a lot of ads on FB etc. for banks and they all promote the contactless paying through phones.

Apart from my bank of course.

Advertisement