Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

NikoTopps wrote: »
    That is true, no Argos in Éire seem to.They have really old card terminals. It is probably the only high street retailer with such outdated terminal

Saving money to pass on to customers in those great deals they though no doubt.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

i was in specsavers updating my lenses,i tried to pay with Android Pay&they say it wouldn't work because they need the physical card to write down the number?I was confuse because she take my card and tap herself then write down the number with 16 digit to put on their system!Anyone ever came across that before with a merchant want to write the number after they have put payment through with Contactless?Very odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

NikoTopps wrote: »
    i was in specsavers updating my lenses,i tried to pay with Android Pay&they say it wouldn't work because they need the physical card to write down the number?I was confuse because she take my card and tap herself then write down the number with 16 digit to put on their system!Anyone ever came across that before with a merchant want to write the number after they have put payment through with Contactless?Very odd to me

They have no need to do that. Something dodgy happening there.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    They have no need to do that. Something dodgy happening there.

i just cannot see the reason,i already paid so why they need my card number?.They take Contactless so Pay would have work for sure.They use a wireless terminal so maybe they have take the card # so they can find the transaction later? Its specsaver i dont think a scam,but an odd practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

First time I ever got android pay to work yesterday in McDonald's and the cashier seemed almost excited to see someone using it and then asked about by oneplus phone!

• Advertisement

I am using Android pay regularly everywhere in Dublin and Naas. One odd one is Starbucks, it declined the Android Pay transaction but worked fine with contactless. Girl on counter said it happens a lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has anyone noticed they get notifications on their phone telling them the shop they are in accepts Android Pay? Has happened to me twice this week, once in Tesco and the other time in Boots. Don't remember it happening before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Get them all the time. Kind of redundant, like the terminals telling you. All it means is that they can do contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Still no sign of BOI jumping on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

dulpit wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed they get notifications on their phone telling them the shop they are in accepts Android Pay? Has happened to me twice this week, once in Tesco and the other time in Boots. Don't remember it happening before that.
    Yes, I find it useful for bringing up my tesco clubcard while there. You can switch it off in settings, doesn't seem to happen every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dulpit wrote: »
    I get it sometimes usually well AFTER I've actually paid using it :)

Zagato wrote: »
    Yes, I find it useful for bringing up my tesco clubcard while there. You can switch it off in settings, doesn't seem to happen every time
    Does it being up the barcode or the number for you? Just brings up the number for me which takes ages to enter, so I end up going for my wallet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Still no sign of BOI jumping on board?

They're probably giving you a free quill for your chequebook.
    Bank of Ireland are incredibly conservative about new technology for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

They're probably giving you a free quill for your chequebook.
    Bank of Ireland are incredibly conservative about new technology for some reason.

Android pay is something I would love to be able to use. Will involve moving bank. Think that will happen as as you said, BOI is so far behind

TheChizler wrote: »
    Does it being up the barcode or the number for you? Just brings up the number for me which takes ages to enter, so I end up going for my wallet anyway.

Bit of both, depends what notification comes up, sometimes Google now (or whatever it's called now) notifies me that I'm in Tesco and just brings up number, but if Android Pay does it links to the barcode which I have stored in the app.

Strange. If I go to add the Tesco it makes me enter the number, won't attempt to scan the barcode, and it's never converted the number to barcode either. It would be much more convenient.

Edit: it scans the barcode when I add the UK version, but I'm not sure I'd get notifications if I add that here. I'll try anyway.

Anyone know what progress is being made in integrating loyalty programs into card terminals? Android Pay is supposed to support tills receiving loyalty information via NFC.

Ah, I am in the UK, so maybe that is part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I use Stocard in Tesco all the time.
    It scans no problem at the staffed tills with a handheld scanner. It won't scan at all on the self scans as they're using laser scanners that cannot read screens at all.

SuperValu is by far the most technologically advanced when it comes to using smartphone apps. Their system is really slick, although it oddly doesn't seem to have scannable codes for the vouchers that appear in the app , resulting in fiddly manual type in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Paddez

Performed my first "big" purchase (€150+) last night using tap-to-pay.

This was followed by a panic'd sales assistant calling someone to make sure this was okay - it was.

Although I'm not really sure what would have happened if this came back as a "no", considering the payment had already gone through...

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Paddez wrote: »

Convenient isn't it! I've used it to pay for a few meals >€100 over the holidays.

Really bugs me that some retailers still won't accept it for transactions over €30 --- TESCO I'm looking at you! Dropped into local Tesco during the week after training so didn't have wallet and had to split shopping into two transactions as it came to €35. Had to apologise for holding up queue.

• Advertisement

Paddez wrote: »

This was followed by a panic'd sales assistant calling someone to make sure this was okay - it was.

Although I'm not really sure what would have happened if this came back as a "no", considering the payment had already gone through...
    Amazing!Where that was can i ask?

msmx5 wrote: »
    Convenient isn't it! I've used it to pay for a few meals >€100 over the holidays.

Really bugs me that some retailers still won't accept it for transactions over €30 --- TESCO I'm looking at you! Dropped into local Tesco during the week after training so didn't have wallet and had to split shopping into two transactions as it came to €35. Had to apologise for holding up queue.

In most Tesco work fine over 30 € if u use normal til,sometimes wont work there either in some Tesco! It usually the self checkout in my causes which have issue. So strange because Tesco was launch partner!

3 Tesco's around me have stopped offering contactless as a payment option on the self service tills. The symbol has stopped coming up on the terminal and the "pay with contacless" button is greyed out. Not sure if this is intentional or there's a problem with the system. Very awkward for me as I've stopped carrying the card for the account I use for shopping since Android Pay was getting so reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

My biggest bugbear is the Topaz Re.Store on the Ballysimon Road, Limerick which looks for your signature *every single time* you use Android Pay, regardless of the size of the purchase, even just a bar of chocolate once :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I've used Android Pay successfully for ~€100 transactions at a number of rural petrol stations without anyone blinking an eyelid, so it's ridiculous for an international supermarket chain like Tesco to have a €30 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Conba wrote: »
    My biggest bugbear is the Topaz Re.Store on the Ballysimon Road, Limerick which looks for your signature *every single time* you use Android Pay, regardless of the size of the purchase, even just a bar of chocolate once :-(
    I've actually contacted Topaz customer service about this, and they are aware of it. According to them, it should be solved with a future software update on their terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Technically speaking, a 4th bank in Ireland is offering Android Pay from today.

Starling Bank, who operate in the UK, have an Irish license, an Irish CEO who came from AIB, and are being tested by some Irish users, went live with Android Pay today. Will be available to all from earlier next year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you have an insight how to become an Irish based Starling Bank customer, please share because they are offering a nice product.

TheChizler wrote: »
    3 Tesco's around me have stopped offering contactless as a payment option on the self service tills. The symbol has stopped coming up on the terminal and the "pay with contacless" button is greyed out. Not sure if this is intentional or there's a problem with the system. Very awkward for me as I've stopped carrying the card for the account I use for shopping since Android Pay was getting so reliable.

yes,the same happen to me actually in Tesco where is always have work before. Now just show it greyed out.Very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭T-Bird

If you have an insight how to become an Irish based Starling Bank customer, please share because they are offering a nice product.

According to Newstalk, "A number of Irish customers will test the service until the end of the year, with a full launch pencilled in for early 2018".

Advertisement