Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

polaris68 wrote: »
    I've used Android Pay successfully for ~€100 transactions at a number of rural petrol stations without anyone blinking an eyelid, so it's ridiculous for an international supermarket chain like Tesco to have a €30 limit.

Most shops in dublin don't accept it. Even the likes of Brown thomas, Arnotts, gamestop, nespresso. It probably works but the staff don't allow using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Most shops in dublin don't accept it. Even the likes of Brown thomas, Arnotts, gamestop, nespresso. It probably works but the staff don't allow using it.

Anywhere I use it I just ask pay by card, slap down the phone and leave them dumbfounded

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I disagree almost entirely with this,i live BÁC too and it hard to find somewhere who do not accept it! I have had succes with these merchants especially gamestop and arnot they have customer faceing terminal.Ask to pay with card not Android Pay then tap phone off reader,there should not be any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you have an insight how to become an Irish based Starling Bank customer, please share because they are offering a nice product.

Well I registered on their community page and posted in this thread, but have heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I disagree almost entirely with this,i live BÁC too and it hard to find somewhere who do not accept it! I have had succes with these merchants especially gamestop and arnot they have customer faceing terminal.Ask to pay with card not Android Pay then tap phone off reader,there should not be any issue

I'm talking about above 30 EUR, Below almost everywhere accepts, above I haven't been able to pay anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

I'm talking about above 30 EUR, Below almost everywhere accepts, above I haven't been able to pay anywhere.

Agree many don't but you would be surprised, a lot of places have accepted >€30 for me. Particularly restaurants, pubs, petrol stations and some shops. Off the top of my head Heatons, Milano, Platform Pizza, D4 Fuels, one of the bars in the Airport -slaney?

Its really down to the type of terminal they have I think, and if the cashier is aware Android pay can be used. Often there is a bit of reluctance to try Android pay for transactions greater than €30 but I normally say I've used it successfully elsewhere and that I'm happy to dig out the real card if it doesn't work.

I can see contactless payments taking over from regular cards over the coming few years and Android/Apple pay will take a large chunk of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Anywhere I use it I just ask pay by card, slap down the phone and leave them dumbfounded

Same here. I found asking only causes confusion.

I generally try to have it done before they can say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/survey-finds-almost-half-of-consumers-avoid-shops-that-do-not-accept-card-payment-804844.html

Unfortnately, while Mr Cleary is warning businesses that don't accept contactless payment that they are losing out, he fails to point our that BOI doesn't appear to have any plans to implement Android Pay or Apple Pay themselves.

RunDMC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RunDMC wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/survey-finds-almost-half-of-consumers-avoid-shops-that-do-not-accept-card-payment-804844.html

Unfortnately, while Mr Cleary is warning businesses that don't accept contactless payment that they are losing out, he fails to point our that BOI doesn't appear to have any plans to implement Android Pay or Apple Pay themselves.

RunDMC
    BOIPA aren't actually part of the BOI Group, they're a separate company that just use the BOI name (under licence) for marketing purposes. You'd wonder if they even know BOI don't do mobile payments

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I see Tesco still have not sorted out their tills to accept transactions above €30. I sent them an email to see what their response will be. Surely it just a matter of a software update being pushed out to them. Used it in Topaz on the quays the other day for a full tank of fuel. Very handy when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I see Tesco still have not sorted out their tills to accept transactions above €30.
    Which one? Any I've been in recently do.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which one? Any I've been in recently do.

Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So got an email today to say that Android Pay is going to become Google Pay. Apart from a new name, wonder if this will change the app in any significant way? Since launched, this has been a godsend for me multiple times (have a habit of forgetting my wallet :o), hope they don't mess it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

dulpit wrote: »
    So got an email today to say that Android Pay is going to become Google Pay. Apart from a new name, wonder if this will change the app in any significant way? Since launched, this has been a godsend for me multiple times (have a habit of forgetting my wallet :o), hope they don't mess it up...

It's just a merger. It'll not effect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anything new we'll get as a result?

Is it merging your Google Play balance as well? As in, can I use that balance to pay for things in shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Is it merging your Google Play balance as well? As in, can I use that balance to pay for things in shops?

No

Google Pay is complete separate from Google Play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

tryed to use phone to pay twice in last week once in topaz for 12 euro and was declined and tesco for €23 and again was declined had to whip out card linked to it and went through fine

anyone else have issues?

• Advertisement

vickers209 wrote: »
    tryed to use phone to pay twice in last week once in topaz for 12 euro and was declined and tesco for €23 and again was declined had to whip out card linked to it and went through fine

anyone else have issues?

Yes, I had issues in Topaz and Dunnes on Friday afternoon. Worked again on Saturday so must have been an issue with one of the providers. I'm with aib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

tryed it again in topaz today still declined

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Not sure if it's been mentioned in here yet, but N26 card can now be added to Google Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

wolf99 wrote: »

Good news

The article also claims that BOI is the only major financial institution in Ireland without either Apple Pay or Android Pay, have I missed something or do PTSB have Android or Apple Pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Good news

The article also claims that BOI is the only major financial institution in Ireland without either Apple Pay or Android Pay, have I missed something or do PTSB have Android or Apple Pay?

Nope, PTSB still don't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ptsb don't have it yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find that journalist very much not on the ball for a lot of tech stuff even though he is a tech journalist. Maybe he should read up in Boards and get up to speed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I find that journalist very much not on the ball for a lot of tech stuff even though he is a tech journalist. Maybe he should read up in Boards and get up to speed!!

He's usually just a mouth piece for who ever butters his toast. Gets stuff wrong all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Creme fraiche

One could argue that PTSB aren’t a major bank. Major banks in my mind are BOI, AIB and Ulster which - if the article is correct - will all have google/Apple pay in the near future.

Advertisement