Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which Tesco out of interest? We were compiling a list of the ones it worked at at some stage.

Jervis at the register didn't use self-checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

rizzee wrote: »
    ...simply leave NFC turned off then just turn it on when walking into a shop, tap payments then turn it off again? Don't want it eating battery either. Huawei P20. Thanks.

No need to leave NFC off, its not a battery eater and from a security perspective you need to have your phone screen ON to be able to make a Google Pay transactions. Ie you don't need to unlock phone but you do need to tap the power button or screen (whatever way your phone works) to display the unlock screen (PIN/Pattern etc). This make it more secure than a contactless card for people who fear getting NFC-Jacked by someone bumping against their wallet on public transport or something.

I have used google pay for 18 months now as my main method of payment and love it --- used for many transactions over €30 too.. paid for a meal over €200 in Italy recently and also for Petrol and Restaurants here in Ireland too.

Great to have Revolut card as an option now for when travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I'm told by a mate in marketing that there is a big Google Pay promo coming this Friday 19 October 2018 in Ireland.

I wonder does that mean Bank of Ireland are launching Google Pay on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

JTMan wrote: »
    I'm told by a mate in marketing that there is a big Google Pay promo coming this Friday 19 October 2018 in Ireland.

I wonder does that mean Bank of Ireland are launching Google Pay on Friday?

Hahha yeah and hell has frozen over. BOI have stated there next big tech investment is a mobile app refresh. Must be the most expensive and longest app refresh as it's been overdue years! I'd be surprised to see Google Pay before it but who knows!

• Advertisement

Well, something is happening next Friday and the promo is near-identical to the promo that AIB did when they launched Android Pay.

JTMan wrote: »
    Well, something is happening next Friday and the promo is near-identical to the promo that AIB did when they launched Android Pay.

TSB maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Patww79 wrote: »
    TSB maybe?

With a bit of luck, but I won't hold my breath

Found out what it is. AIB are running a 1 cent promo of items in stores such as Lolly and Cooks:

https://www.facebook.com/LollyandCooks/
    AMAZING OFFER......next Friday 19th & Saturday 20th October from AIB. Our new Savage Bowls (normally €12, see menu below) and all hot drinks will cost just 1c when you pay with your smart phone. Seriously what a deal

Savage Bowls –
    All served on a bed of aromatic brown rice
    The Lolly - €12.00
    Tuna loin marinated in soy & wasabi, with sesame seeds, samphire, wakame, pickled ginger, edamame, pickled cabbage, and coriander in a soy, lime, honey, chilli, ponzu & teriyaki dressing

The Churpy - €10.00
    Our own oven baked falafel, edamame, pickled cabbage, wakame, salted pineapple and mint in our devilishly unique yogurt, honey & tabasco dressing

The Cassie – €10.00
    Tandoori chicken with pickled cabbage & cucumber, edamame, salted pineapple, toasted almonds, baby leaf, coriander & a curried coconut dressing

The Lori - €11.00
    Vodka & dill marinated salmon with samphire, wakame, pickled cucumber & cabbage and toasted pumpkin seeds in a honey Dijon dressing

So no BoI launch, but virtually free coffee and food for Google Pay and Apple Pay customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is it just AIB customers or can N26 users avail as well?

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Is it just AIB customers or can N26 users avail as well?

Offer seems to apply to everyone who pays by mobile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone make much use of passes? I scanned in my SuperValu card and it shows the barcode. Only thing is it put a ] before the number and I'm not sure that's right, or it'll work. I'll try it at a self-service check out some time. If it doesn't work I'll take out the ] bracket. I also put in Tesco and Dunnes, but had to do so manually. Both cards are pretty old and only display as numbers, not a bardcode, unlike the SuperValu one. Not really into coffee and don't have those loyalty ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dunnes one comes up as a barcode for me, it won't scan on their machines though but the staff never have a problem typing it in manually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My Tesco one wouldn't scan into the app as a clubcard, but did as a petrol card and the self service machine accepted it no bother when I bought some veg earlier.

Dunnes one comes up as a barcode for me, it won't scan on their machines though but the staff never have a problem typing it in manually.

I find that it does scan at the Dunnes self-service tills (but not at the cashier ones)

Insomnia works a treat.

msmx5 wrote: »
    I find that it does scan at the Dunnes self-service tills (but not at the cashier ones)

Gave Dunnes a go last night, wouldn't scan at the self-service machine.

Applegreen's been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I just noticed that I got an email from Ulster Bank last week detailing updated charges that will apply from April onward. Both Google Pay and Apple Pay will now cost the user €0.01 per transaction in stores (for debit cards), and €0.20 for every online transaction. They're reducing the monthly fee for each account from €4 to €2.
    I don't know about others, but I use my phone to pay for nearly everything. I can't see me making 200 G Pay transactions a month, but don't you know the prices will rise within a year.

The new Ulster Bank charges are discussed at length here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057955347

Supervalu pass won't work at self-service checkouts. When you scan it into the app it puts a bracket at the start ]C1 - wonder if that's why it won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Supervalu pass won't work at self-service checkouts. When you scan it into the app it puts a bracket at the start ]C1 - wonder if that's why it won't work.

I removed the ]C1 from it and it did not work, so I shorted the number to the same format as in the Supervalu app and now it works.

I removed the ]C1 from it and it did not work, so I shorted the number to the same format as in the Supervalu app and now it works.

I had that problem too and took the ]C1 off and same thing. How much of the number in the app do you need to remove?

Also, I see Ryanair let you save boarding passes to the Pay app now. Haven't seen it in action personally. (Also AirFrance, KLM, EasyJet, and Lufthansa according to the link below).

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/20/ryanair-boarding-passes-can-now-be-saved-to-google-pay/

I removed the ]C198261655 and only left the 00011111111 so it now looks the same as my card for both number and bar code as in the Supervalue app.

Unrelated, I had problems with Tesco, however, the new Tesco Ireland App now has a function to store the club card number and code into Google Pay with one click, since that Tesco works fine too.

I removed the ]C198261655 and only left the 00011111111 so it now looks the same as my card for both number and bar code as in the Supervalue app.

Unrelated, I had problems with Tesco, however, the new Tesco Ireland App now has a function to store the club card number and code into Google Pay with one click, since that Tesco works fine too.

I don't have a physical card so I'm not sure what mine is meant to be (or how I ever put it into the Pay app). I might just sign up for a new one, I've never got to use it from the phone anyway.

I don't have a physical card so I'm not sure what mine is meant to be (or how I ever put it into the Pay app). I might just sign up for a new one, I've never got to use it from the phone anyway.

Why don't you install the real rewards app from supervalu which will show you the card number.

Why don't you install the real rewards app from supervalu which will show you the card number.

It says I've none :D. I don't know where I got this one from now.

Clean start needed. I'll get a keyring one with a new one presumably too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is there any plans to officially support Android pay on Wear OS in Ireland? Looking for an excuse to get an NFC smartwatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I'm Pretty sure Google pay is already supported on Wear OS in Ireland.
    I dont see any reason it wouldnt be.
    I'd advise against getting a wear OS device though, many in the industry are expecting it to be axed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I'm Pretty sure Google pay is already supported on Wear OS in Ireland.
    I dont see any reason it wouldnt be.
    I'd advise against getting a wear OS device though, many in the industry are expecting it to be axed soon.

It works but as it's not officially supported it disables itself again after 20 mins. I use an app called Pay Enabler and have it set to the hardware button on my watch, it allows me to quickly enable it again which must do every time.

Wear OS is not going anywhere, the market has got more competitive with other options like Tisen but Google have just done a deal with Fossil who have a huge share of the market

• Advertisement

That didn't work for me, but the one in the Supervalu app itself did scan.

Advertisement