Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Google Wallet Tap to Pay is supposed to be available in the US only, but I recently got it to work here in Ireland with an Irish phone and an Irish credit card.

I've got a Samsung Note 4 locked to Vodafone Ireland. I've bought a few items with it and it works every time.

I recently tried it in Italy and it say it doesn't work outside the US.

Has anyone else got it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Did you use a VPN to get the google wallet app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

That's interesting. Does it work the same as standard contactless, i.e. €15 limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I downloaded the APK and it won't let me change my country from the United states and it's looking for a full US address and Zip code so I'd be interested to hear how you got around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I downloaded the APK and created a 2nd Wallet account. I have only used it for small transactions but I think the card machine will only present contactless as an option if it's under e15.

The transaction ends up costing a few cents more as it's converted from euro to dollars and back again so I'd only use it for novelty/proof of concept rather than everyday purchases.

The shop assistants were flabbergasted when it worked. I think they thought I was a con artist!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Thanks Arbie, that's great to know even as proof of concept. :-) I must give it a try myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there a plan or timeframe for Google wallet to be officially rolled out here or anywhere outside the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Which shop did you use it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Is there a plan or timeframe for Google wallet to be officially rolled out here or anywhere outside the US?

I think the system is getting a rebuild since Apple Pay was such a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I think the system is getting a rebuild since Apple Pay was such a hit.

Yeah Google Wallet is being rolled into the new Android Pay

It definitely work in Marks & Spencer - I use it there regularly.

It won't work in Dunnes Stores, McDonalds, Burger King, or Boots. It will initially say it is processing/approved and then it will say declined/cancelled, followed by a message saying Wallet cannot be used for international payments.

I'm curious as to what is different about M&S. Anyone have any ideas?

Do any other chains offer contactless?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

That's very interesting!

Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where'd you source the APK?

I used the APK Mirror website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ok i have the APK installed but they wont issue the "wallet card" without confirming my id which requires a SSN. How did you get past that?

356448.png

Wallet Card is a different product - it's a physical card.

Tap and Pay is a method of making contactless payment using an Android phone with NFC. The Wallet support website gives details of eligible devices. (I can't link to the page as I'm a new user)

I spoke to Wallet customer service. They were very surprised as only a handful of international transactions have been reported but essentially said "Good for you, enjoy it" so they're not against it.

I've tried it in Starbucks, Beacon Hotel, Kylemore, and Natural Bakery but M&S is still the only place it will work. Roll on Android Pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jessup1

So I've seen a thread before of someone using the tap and Pay in Ireland but then couldn't find it again. I recently for a nexus6 and have the new Android Pay App. Is there any way of getting your card details onto it since its supposed to be only for the US

Thanks

That thread was about Google Wallet rather than Android Pay (which will probably eventually become the same thing). The main difference however is that banks have to opt in to use Android Pay, so there's no trick you can use to get it to work for an Irish bank. Only a few US banks have opted in so far so I'd say it will be a good while before it works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jessup1

That thread was about Google Wallet rather than Android Pay (which will probably eventually become the same thing). The main difference however is that banks have to opt in to use Android Pay, so there's no trick you can use to get it to work for an Irish bank. Only a few US banks have opted in so far so I'd say it will be a good while before it works here.

Damn ....I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Thanks for the info and I imagine banks over here taking a very long time to implement it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

This is one of the main reasons I am contemplating getting an iPhone at one point.

Apple Pay is accepted in a lot of places already, but Google and the banks seem to not care about Android Pay it seems...

And I can't see it change any time soon since it only really started in the US a short while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Im at a loss as to why Google didn't capitalise on their early lead with Wallet years ago!

When Wallet was first introduced I remember hearing some guff about Irish banks not being bothered about enabling its use, which was obviously cobblers given that NFC terminals started rolling out very shortly thereafter and, in comparison, the US had very low usage of chip & pin NFC type cards vs regular swipe & sign cards.

I have tried more stores in Ireland and UK - M&S is still the only shop where it works.

I now use my Revolut card (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488) so the euro value is converted to dollars at market rate and taken from my dollar amount. No fees and very secure, which is great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

wolf99 wrote: »
    Im at a loss as to why Google didn't capitalise on their early lead with Wallet years ago!

When Wallet was first introduced I remember hearing some guff about Irish banks not being bothered about enabling its use, which was obviously cobblers given that NFC terminals started rolling out very shortly thereafter and, in comparison, the US had very low usage of chip & pin NFC type cards vs regular swipe & sign cards.

I don't think Google wallet even make it out of the US. Google do this with a lot of their stuff. Release it in the US and never release it anywhere else. One thing apple do right is when they release something they typically try to roll it out everywhere relatively soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I cannot get this to work.

I have downloaded the APK and then attempt to add my credit card information. I keep getting a message saying an error has occurred. I have tried several cards.

Did you put the US in as your address? I have been inputting my Irish address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I don't think Google wallet even make it out of the US. Google do this with a lot of their stuff. Release it in the US and never release it anywhere else. One thing apple do right is when they release something they typically try to roll it out everywhere relatively soon after.

Yeah they're product launches are the best too. We've this new product, you can buy it now. For me Microsoft used to be the worst. Here's our new surface, a few months and it could be yours. Interest lost soon after!

JTMan wrote: »
    I cannot get this to work.

I have downloaded the APK and then attempt to add my credit card information. I keep getting a message saying an error has occurred. I have tried several cards.

Did you put the US in as your address? I have been inputting my Irish address.
    I use my Irish address. Does the error have a code number?

I've recently used it in USA and Caribbean and it's worked perfectly, even when data connection is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Apple don't roll out everywhere at once... For years they considered Ireland as a second class country, all of there services would roll out months after the US and UK. You couldn't even get iphones after launch. They haven't even rolled out the apple store to Ireland yet. The reason as I understand it is because the Irish are one of the biggest consumers for the brand and they don't need to make much effort is selling us their product... Why waste money developing good sales channels and support networks when the products will sell themselves anyway. I find that disrespectful.

Also, I live in the Middle East and apple TV doesn't work properly, nore does iTunes... Even years after launch...

So no, apple aren't that fantastic.

BTW, apple pay doesn't work here either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

wolf99 wrote: »

Don't know about Ireland but in NL the uptake has been very slow as the banks don't want a middle man in between them the customer and the retailer.

Also almost all debit card now have NFC and anything over 25 euros you need to enter a pin.

In the end it's about what's faster at the till and a card with NFC is faster than a phone using NFC at the moment.

Would be awesome if you could reliably use your phone for public transport and shopping :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Also almost all debit card now have NFC and anything over 25 euros you need to enter a pin.

Is it not a limit if €15?

Edit: My wife informs me that it was €15, but has increased to €30 in the last two weeks with Permanent Tsb

http://m.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/current-accounts/bank-cards-guide/contactless-visa-debit-card/

Advertisement