Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I like to think that things can't get any worst. But assuming they go into sell mode at the trade deadline, then the reminder of the season will be even longer and more painful. I just hope they get some decent prospects in return

ShyMets wrote: »
    I just hope they get some decent prospects in return

You know that’s not going to happen. It’ll all be about salary relief like it was last year.

And would you give up any decent prospects for any of those Muppets (DeGrom and Noah excluded)?

1 July, the day everyone on Twitter hilariously points out that the Mets made another $1m payment to Bobby Bonilla, which they will have to every year until 2035.

Yes, it is crazy but what I don't understand is why this payment deals is the only one routinely pointed out, yet there are plenty of other crazy deals out there. Some of which were only made in the past couple of years.

Reds: Bronson Aroyo $1.3m a year until 2021
    Nats: Rafael Soriano $2m a year until 2024
    Nats: Ryan Zimmerman $2m a year for 5 years after he stops playing
    Nats: Jason Werth $11m in 2018
    Nats: Max Scherzer $15m a year from 2022 to 2028
    Nats: Stephen Strasburg $10m a year from 2024 to 2030
    Mets: Carlos Beltran $3m in 2018
    Mets: Santana $5.5m a year until 2020
    Brewers: Ryan Braun $1.8m a year 2022 to 2031
    Mariners: Ichiro $25m total from when he retires until 2032
    Rockies: Todd Helton $1.3m a year until 2024
    Cardinals: Matt Holliday $1.4m a year 2020 - 2029
    Red Sox: Manny Ramirez $2m a year until 2026
    Orioles: Chris Davis $3.5m a year until 2032, then $1.4m a year until 2037
    Reds: Ken Griffey Jr $3.5m until 2024

• Advertisement

Strange Boston - NYY series over the weekend

8-1 NY
    11-0 Boston
    11-1 NY

Mets undefeated in July. We're on roll:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Nats look to be in trouble in terms of making the playoffs at the moment. Just dont seem to be able to close the gap on philly and Braves. I know its going to come down to the the head to head series in the next couple of months but have to say at the moment we just dont look like a playoff team ... Harper is struggling despite the HR's , Turner, Eaton, Murphy , Zimm not producing enough offence and our rotation while decent enough has given up some games. Funnily enough our relief has been better

Nats look to be in trouble in terms of making the playoffs at the moment. Just dont seem to be able to close the gap on philly and Braves. I know its going to come down to the the head to head series in the next couple of months but have to say at the moment we just dont look like a playoff team ... Harper is struggling despite the HR's , Turner, Eaton, Murphy , Zimm not producing enough offence and our rotation while decent enough has given up some games. Funnily enough our relief has been better

While we all expected them to be out of sight by this stage, I wouldn't be jumping off the ledge yet. They're only 4-5 games back and all they need to do is stay in touch, which they are doing and are capable of continuing to do. They'll still win the East I'd say and then lose in the first round of the playoffs again!! Only joking about the last bit, as usual October will depend on getting hot at the right time etc. etc. etc.

So the Dodgers have a Wild Card spot at the moment, and only 1.5 games back on the D-Backs. And Matt Kemp was getting "MVP" chants last night. Very odd season so far :)

Anyway, only 12 days until I'm sitting in Dodgers Stadium for the game against the Angels. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

While we all expected them to be out of sight by this stage, I wouldn't be jumping off the ledge yet. They're only 4-5 games back and all they need to do is stay in touch, which they are doing and are capable of continuing to do. They'll still win the East I'd say and then lose in the first round of the playoffs again!! Only joking about the last bit, as usual October will depend on getting hot at the right time etc. etc. etc.

They dont look like a team capable of winning any division right now to be honest , the only thing that is positive for them is that they have a lot of underperforming parts and if they hit form they could roll of 10-12 straight but at the moment i reminds me of a couple of years ago chasing the Mets. We just never clicked and the Mets stayed enough ahead that it became impossible coming into the last month.

Until we win a playoff series that last part will be true unfortunately. I mean right now we would be playing the team that finishes second in terms of wins .. probably the Cubs... that wouldnt be a good series for us either! Meh .. Hopefully we can turn things around though. So much talent in this roster.

They dont look like a team capable of winning any division right now to be honest , the only thing that is positive for them is that they have a lot of underperforming parts and if they hit form they could roll of 10-12 straight but at the moment i reminds me of a couple of years ago chasing the Mets. We just never clicked and the Mets stayed enough ahead that it became impossible coming into the last month.

Until we win a playoff series that last part will be true unfortunately. I mean right now we would be playing the team that finishes second in terms of wins .. probably the Cubs... that wouldnt be a good series for us either! Meh .. Hopefully we can turn things around though. So much talent in this roster.

Definitely need to win the Scherzer starts anyway.

Definitely need to win the Scherzer starts anyway.

Last night was another give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Last night was another give away.

You know it's bad when a NL team gets beat by an AL pitcher getting 3 RBIs :eek:

Ohtani is off the DL, DH'ing against Mariners tonight, no timetable for any pitching return yet though.

Classic FP Santanglio there on the Nats broadcast, excusing Herrera for giving up the run because he's not used to pitching when his team are behind. Isn't the plan to get the batter out either way? He really is the commentator with the rosiest tinted glasses out there.

You know it's bad when a NL team gets beat by an AL pitcher getting 3 RBIs :eek:

Super hit though. They're good friends too so I'd imagine the phone call/text after the game was interesting. Scherzer doesn't seems like the kind of bloke who would be happy if he lost a game of Connect 4 to one of his kids.

I wonder will Mike Trout ever look for a trade - he's clearly wasted at the Angels and they don't seem to be capable of building a team around him. Reminds me a lot of LeBron James and the Cavs, 11 years, all that talent and only one championship to show for it.

I wonder will Mike Trout ever look for a trade - he's clearly wasted at the Angels and they don't seem to be capable of building a team around him. Reminds me a lot of LeBron James and the Cavs, 11 years, all that talent and only one championship to show for it.

Good question. He's a big Philadelphia fan so with the Phillies improving, I wonder could that be a spot he's like to go to at some stage. How many more years is he under contract for?

Nice tribute for Joey Bats by Toronto and their fans last night

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1014284719599452160

• Advertisement

Good question. He's a big Philadelphia fan so with the Phillies improving, I wonder could that be a spot he's like to go to at some stage. How many more years is he under contract for?

Until 2020 at $32.25 million per year :eek:

Interesting that Trout and Pujols make up more than 30% of Angels payroll!

Nats came from 9-0 down to beat the Marlins 14-12 last night.

Nats came from 9-0 down to beat the Marlins 14-12 last night.

All because of their 'players only' meeting after the defeat the day before apparently. My question is though, if the players meeting was so successful why did they go 9-0 down in the first place? Was it only after they went 9 down that they remembered that they had the meeting?

It’s just about sums up what it’s like to be a Mets fan at the moment when you get excited because someone broke up a perfect game against them in the 7th.

Who cares that they’re a million games under .500 and losing this game 7-0, there won’t be a perfect game today. Yippee.....!!!!!!!

All because of their 'players only' meeting after the defeat the day before apparently. My question is though, if the players meeting was so successful why did they go 9-0 down in the first place? Was it only after they went 9 down that they remembered that they had the meeting?

Regardless of how or why its a serious comeback .. they lost to Miami yesterday though. Time for another meeting.

It’s just about sums up what it’s like to be a Mets fan at the moment when you get excited because someone broke up a perfect game against them in the 7th.

Who cares that they’re a million games under .500 and losing this game 7-0, there won’t be a perfect game today. Yippee.....!!!!!!!

If you think it's bad now just wait until deGrom and Syndergaard are traded for the equivalent value of a bag of balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

ShyMets wrote: »
    If you think it's bad now just wait until deGrom and Syndergaard are traded for the equivalent value of a bag of balls.

:D:D:D Brilliant, a bag of balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I see the old Sonny Gray showed up last night for the Yankees............

He is having an absolute nightmare lately with his starts

• Advertisement

According to mlb, Kershaw is scheduled to pitch on Sunday. I just happen to have a ticket for Dodger Stadium on that day. Works out perfectly. Can't wait now

Scratch that. Looks like I read it wrong. It showed Saturday's pitchers. Looks like I'll get Hill on Sunday

Advertisement