Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will be interesting to see what these two have to say about the trade.

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1024054648209108993?s=21

And according to the Astros statement, he’s said he’s sorry for his past action and remorseful blah blah blah so the Verlander and McCullaghs can’t use the ‘well he hasn’t been convicted yet’ excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

The Nationals apparently have made Bryce Harper available,rumours that the Indians are intrested.I doubt he will go tbh

The Nationals apparently have made Bryce Harper available,rumours that the Indians are intrested.I doubt he will go tbh

I think it’s all a bit of a bluff. It’d be madness for them to consider being sellers at the deadline. They’re only 5.5 games back which is nothing at the start of August.

Philly have lost 4 on the trot and Atlanta are only 5-5 in their last 10 so they’re both within striking distance.

I read there are a lot of issues in the clubhouse though and some players aren’t happy with Martinez but i still don’t think it’s worth giving up on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think it’s all a bit of a bluff. It’d be madness for them to consider being sellers at the deadline. They’re only 5.5 games back which is nothing at the start of August.

Philly have lost 4 on the trot and Atlanta are only 5-5 in their last 10 so they’re both within striking distance.

I read there are a lot of issues in the clubhouse though and some players aren’t happy with Martinez but i still don’t think it’s worth giving up on the season.

I think it's more tied to where they see themselves with Harper in the off season and independent of their position in the standings.

If they are going to let him walk, then why not get something at least. If they are going to be in on him, then I agree that it's only a bluff.

Have to say that for me Harper has to change or anyone who gives him $30M+ a season for 5-10 or whatever Boras can get for him are mad. He needs to adapt to overcome the shift and try and change the way he is being pitched to. He is in danger of dropping off the radar as an elite player.

But even if they trade him now, there’s nothing to stop them trying to get him back as a free agent in the off season.

Kind of like what the Yankees did with Chapman in 2016.

• Advertisement

But even if they trade him now, there’s nothing to stop them trying to get him back as a free agent in the off season.

Kind of like what the Yankees did with Chapman in 2016.

True, but it could harm their relationship somewhat if they did trade him.

boccy23 wrote: »
    True, but it could harm their relationship somewhat if they did trade him.

He got a sly dig in at management over the weekend saying that Realmuto wouldn’t have driven in the winning run against them if he was a Nat so there seems to be some tension between him and the team already.

I wonder would a team ever sit down and get the player’s approval to do a deal like this though. You know, explain that they’ll get a few good prospects that will improve their chances of winning next season when they sign him back. Probably not!

He got a sly dig in at management over the weekend saying that Realmuto wouldn’t have driven in the winning run against them if he was a Nat so there seems to be some tension between him and the team already.

I wonder would a team ever sit down and get the player’s approval to do a deal like this though. You know, explain that they’ll get a few good prospects that will improve their chances of winning next season when they sign him back. Probably not!

Not sure with Nats and the Mike Rizzo/Scott Boras symbiotic relationship.

Is Harper really worth this huge contract though?

Is Harper really worth this huge contract though?

It’s madness putting so much into one player I think but someone’s going to do it.

It’s madness putting so much into one player I think but someone’s going to do it.

I assume someone will. But it will be a case of heart ruling over analytics. When you drill down on Harper over the last few seasons of the shift, he has been an average player at best.

There has been discussions over bringing in rules to try and alleviate the affects of shift and put more balls in play. This especially affects left handed batters.

• Advertisement

I assume someone will. But it will be a case of heart ruling over analytics. When you drill down on Harper over the last few seasons of the shift, he has been an average player at best.

There has been discussions over bringing in rules to try and alleviate the affects of shift and put more balls in play. This especially affects left handed batters.

I hate the idea of ruling against the shift. It’s up to hitters to adapt in my opinion. Or maybe lay down a few bunts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

The Nats have 16 games against the Phillys and Braves left but at the moment they dont look like a team that can maintain any kind of winning run. Trading Harper wouldnt be the smartest thing in my book. I think he ends up long term at the Nationals so its possible it's just a lot of bluster. Nationals have all the win now pieces there but no one has stayed fit long enough to get the magic momentum moving in the right direction. They need to win about 45 of their last 55 games, not sure that's realistic though the way the team is playing :)

I think the Nats will miss the playoffs ,the trea turner controversy must be having an affect on the clubhouse also.

I think the Nats will miss the playoffs ,the trea turner controversy must be having an affect on the clubhouse also.

Nats releiver Sean Doolittle had a good Twitter thread last night about the whole inappropriate tweets thing. Well worth reading. He didn’t mention Turner specifically though.

There is no controversy. An 18 year old saying stupid ****, absolutely nothing in it. Similar to Newcomb and the Brewers pitcher. The era of political correctness.

It does look like they will miss the playoffs at the moment, but as a Nats fan I'd have to say our best chance for the playoffs is a struggle run from the Philly's and Braves and a strong winning streak by the Nats. I think the team is there if they can put it together. What would be interesting is if the team goes on a run and carries the momentum into the playoffs. Anything is possible.

There is no controversy. An 18 year old saying stupid ****, absolutely nothing in it. Similar to Newcomb and the Brewers pitcher. The era of political correctness.

It does look like they will miss the playoffs at the moment, but as a Nats fan I'd have to say our best chance for the playoffs is a struggle run from the Philly's and Braves and a strong winning streak by the Nats. I think the team is there if they can put it together. What would be interesting is if the team goes on a run and carries the momentum into the playoffs. Anything is possible.

The Nats are a complete enigma. If you put together that team on paper, no way it would be in the position it currently is. They have changed managers, sorted the bullpen, have a strong rotation, rookie of the year candidate etc. etc. and still no real progress.

Is it not worth blowing it up, getting something for Harper, trade off the bullpen and try again with a new Manager and possible a new GM (like Rizzo so don't expect anything to happen there).

The Nats are a complete enigma. If you put together that team on paper, no way it would be in the position it currently is. They have changed managers, sorted the bullpen, have a strong rotation, rookie of the year candidate etc. etc. and still no real progress.

Is it not worth blowing it up, getting something for Harper, trade off the bullpen and try again with a new Manager and possible a new GM (like Rizzo so don't expect anything to happen there).

No in my opinion. They have the win now pieces there and even if this year is a bust and Harper leaves he's not integral to the side winning for the next few years. With some serious prospects coming through and the pitching staff we have I think this is a win now and in the next three years side. If injuries ease off and Turner, Harper,Soto, Rendon, Zimm and Murph finally get their bats working regularly then we have a chance especially with the starting 4 pitchers.

The world series will be won by an A.l east team this year

It’s not just that though. Over the weekend there were reports of a lot of tension in the clubhouse and players giving out about Martinez, especially how he manages the bullpen.

And I’m sure the catchers on the roster weren’t too happy with Harper saying they should have Realmuto on the team already.

No in my opinion. They have the win now pieces there and even if this year is a bust and Harper leaves he's not integral to the side winning for the next few years. With some serious prospects coming through and the pitching staff we have I think this is a win now and in the next three years side. If injuries ease off and Turner, Harper,Soto, Rendon, Zimm and Murph finally get their bats working regularly then we have a chance especially with the starting 4 pitchers.

A lot of ‘ifs’ there......!!!

I’m with you though. As I said earlier they’re only a few games back and they’re not chasing the Yankees or the Red Sox so it would be madness to give up on the season now.

And as I’ve always said, it’s always about getting to October, even if you only squeak in, and then getting hot at the right time.

• Advertisement

It’s not just that though. Over the weekend there were reports of a lot of tension in the clubhouse and players giving out about Martinez, especially how he manages the bullpen.

And I’m sure the catchers on the roster weren’t too happy with Harper saying they should have Realmuto on the team already.

I don't think it's worked with Martinez, that's 100%. The tension in the club house is common with a team that's under performing though.

The use of the bullpen has been a problem for the last couple of years. We've got some quality arms but they have been prone to a blow up or two.

Early in the season you mentioned it and it has come to bite us in the ass but our starters had huge innings counts going for the first few months.

Lots of things wrong at the minute, too many to pinpoint one to be fair.

I’m with you though. As I said earlier they’re only a few games back and they’re not chasing the Yankees or the Red Sox so it would be madness to give up on the season now.

And as I’ve always said, it’s always about getting to October, even if you only squeak in, and then getting hot at the right time.

October has been their worse month for a while now though!!

Thats the thing as well, we've never actually reached the playoffs hot, its always been a thing in the last few years where we easily win the division and then go in sort of protecting players.

If we can do it this year it will be a case of having to get hot to get there. Hopefully that will benefit us. To be honest though if things click I'd fear absolutely no one with the roster we have, this is the first time in my memory that this is the case as well.

The world series will be won by an A.l east team this year

Said it before and I'm sure it'll be said again but I fancy neither of them against the Astros in the playoffs.

Said it before and I'm sure it'll be said again but I fancy neither of them against the Astros in the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see how they deal with the Osuna backlash. Their justification statement so far was laughable and a million miles away from their ‘zero policy towards DV’ that they have claimed up to now.

But the better player you are, the more leeway is given and after a few days there’ll be some other story breaking and this will be forgotten.

Will be interesting to see how they deal with the Osuna backlash. Their justification statement so far was laughable and a million miles away from their ‘zero policy towards DV’ that they have claimed up to now.

But the better player you are, the more leeway is given and after a few days there’ll be some other story breaking and this will be forgotten.

It's one of those situations that Houston probably didnt need the arm either and are bringing some controversy on themselves.

Houston though for me anyway are the best team in baseball right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It's one of those situations that Houston probably didnt need the arm either and are bringing some controversy on themselves.

Houston though for me anyway are the best team in baseball right now.

Nah they did need the arm - their bullpen is pretty weak and they have some injuries piling up. They have also lost their last 5 games so are slumping a bit.

nice/stupid (depending on your perspective) play from last night

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1024088079152369666

• Advertisement

25-4. WTF...??

Advertisement