Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

$$$$$$$$

That's pretty much it. Mariners (unfortunately) suffer from being on the West Coast and not being named Dodgers or Giants and it means they get shafted when it comes to national TV coverage. Even the Red Sox colour commentator was joking that he didn't want to travel to Seattle but only went cos his wife wanted to go too.

It is interesting that both Giants and Dodgers who feature on national TV a fair bit are both former NY-based teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

That's pretty much it. Mariners (unfortunately) suffer from being on the West Coast and not being named Dodgers or Giants and it means they get shafted when it comes to national TV coverage. Even the Red Sox colour commentator was joking that he didn't want to travel to Seattle but only went cos his wife wanted to go too.

It is interesting that both Giants and Dodgers who feature on national TV a fair bit are both former NY-based teams.
    I would love to see Sunday night baseball in safeco it is a beautiful stadium,They have already been to saint Louis twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Astros lose! Theyre human after all.

I love the way there’s always a couple of these each year.

https://twitter.com/adnanespn/status/1009421206276231169?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Whatta maroon. I wonder if he voids some of his contract as a result, heh.

He is completely wasted on that Angels team.

As well as that last stat, he’s only made 7 outs in his last 8 games.

As well as that last stat, he’s only made 7 outs in his last 8 games.

He is unreal, so so so good. Amazing really. This Angels team this year will be close to a playoff spot I feel. They need more pieces but they are getting there and he's only 26 .. scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

After seeing my mariners get swept by the yanks,i must say them Yankees are scary ,they just seem to be able to go yard whenever the need is greatest.Gleyber Torres is some talent at second base.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No takers for Hanley Ramirez so he's been released and is now a free agent. What happens with next year's option if a team signs him? Are they liable for 2019 or is it still Boston's responsibility?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/06/22/hanley-ramirez-investigation-red-sox/

This one is getting curiouser and curiouser....

Osuna has been suspended for 75 games for violating the league's domestic abuse policy. It's backdated to May 8th (which is when he was placed on administrative leave).

LOLOLOL Nelson Cruz hits 2 home runs (one left the park over the Green Monster), gets 7 RBIs and Mariners still lose by 4 four runs due to inept pitching and awful bullpen management.

LOLOLOL Nelson Cruz hits 2 home runs (one left the park over the Green Monster), gets 7 RBIs and Mariners still lose by 4 four runs due to inept pitching and awful bullpen management.

This was always going to be a tough stretch for Seattle but even though they've now lost 5 in a row, they're still in a great position to make the playoffs*

(* I know, I know. Waaaay too early to be mentioning playoffs!

This was always going to be a tough stretch for Seattle but even though they've now lost 5 in a row, they're still in a great position to make the playoffs*

(* I know, I know. Waaaay too early to be mentioning playoffs!

Yeah they are still in a good position to make the playoffs but they need to get over this hump fast. Realistically it's between them and the Angels for the second wildcard spot, Detroit/Oakland/the rest are too far back to claw back and Red Sox/Yankees are too far ahead to get the first spot. I don't think Mariners will catch Astros, Astros are just too good this year. My prediction is that the WC game will be between Red Sox/Yankees and Mariners with homefield going to one of the first two, in which case good night.

What I don't want to see happen is Seattle trading away prospects to try and win the division (and then failing). There's been rumours going around that Mariners are looking to get Happ but they would need to give up Kyle Lewis for that which isn't a good deal, imo.

But as you say, early days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Hansel Robles picked up by the Angels. So long,Hansel. So many memories. Sadly, few of them good

ShyMets wrote: »
    Hansel Robles picked up by the Angels. So long,Hansel. So many memories. Sadly, few of them good

Guess how his first appearance went. Yes, by giving up the game winning home run against Toronto.

Guess how his first appearance went. Yes, by giving up the game winning home run against Toronto.

That's my Hansel😀

Imagine...DFA'd by one of the worst teams in baseball and .... you're not very good. Quelle surprise!

• Advertisement

Some manager somewhere will figure a way to beat the status quo and have some success, and they'll 'buffalo horde' their way in that direction. However, the comment that the NL will have the DH in 5 years, I dunno, I'd love to see it, tired of watching pitchers get hurt swinging the bat and running the bases. Either have it in both leagues, or neither.

What I also liked about the rant, is how he describes my team's approach - beer league swing-for-the-fences and strike out all the time otherwise. Problem is, it's not working.

Igotadose wrote: »

Some manager somewhere will figure a way to beat the status quo and have some success, and they'll 'buffalo horde' their way in that direction. However, the comment that the NL will have the DH in 5 years, I dunno, I'd love to see it, tired of watching pitchers get hurt swinging the bat and running the bases. Either have it in both leagues, or neither.

What I also liked about the rant, is how he describes my team's approach - beer league swing-for-the-fences and strike out all the time otherwise. Problem is, it's not working.

Thought he hit the nail on the head. The game has some serious issues which need to be addressed. Namely getting the ball in play more. Some of the Mets games I've watch this season have been tortuous and not just because the Mets are good awful

Thought he hit the nail on the head. The game has some serious issues which need to be addressed. Namely getting the ball in play more. Some of the Mets games I've watch this season have been tortuous and not just because the Mets are ghod awful
    As painful as it is for me to admit it, the approach the mid-1980's Cardinals had, seems to be the way to go. Base stealers like a young, pre-stupidity Vince Coleman and the massively underrated Willie McGee caused nobodies like Tommy Herr to hit whatever, over .300 a couple years in a row batting behind them. Get on base and steal, that'll end the shifting. The guys behind them will get pitches to hit, and none of the shifting.

And you can win a lot of games that way, with good pitching. They'll be lower-scoring and require good defense too. Nowadays, it's baseball-for-ESPN-highlights, just hit it out of the park.

But, that was then. Stolen bases are a thing of the past it seems. Gordon led the NL with 60 last year. Only 60! The AL leader Merrifield had 34!

Thought he hit the nail on the head. The game has some serious issues which need to be addressed. Namely getting the ball in play more. Some of the Mets games I've watch this season have been tortuous and not just because the Mets are good awful

I think some strikeouts/walks can be exciting, obviously a 4 pitch walk or 3 pitch SO is probably not but think of a longer at bat where there's a few pitches fouled off and the count is full. Is there anything exciting about a routine flyout? I'm really not sure where I stand on the ball in play = more excitement thing.

This interesting - overlay of Edwin Diaz throwing a fastball and a slider. Easy to see how hitters get completely fooled

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1011585637210877955

Sandy Alderson taking leave of absence from the Mets in order to treat his cancer. Will not have decision making input while on leave or in future: https://nypost.com/2018/06/26/sandy-alderson-is-taking-leave-to-battle-cancer-recurrence/. Assistant GM Ricciardi and Omar Minaya to assume his duties.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Sandy Alderson taking leave of absence from the Mets in order to treat his cancer. Will not have decision making input while on leave or in future: https://nypost.com/2018/06/26/sandy-alderson-is-taking-leave-to-battle-cancer-recurrence/. Assistant GM Ricciardi and Omar Minaya to assume his duties.

Obviously sad on a personal level, hopefully he will make a full recovery.

He more or less said he won’t be back, even if he does regain full health but to be honest I think his hands were tied from up above anyway so was always fighting a losing battle with the team.

Jason Werth's announced his retirement today. Didn't realise he was still playing to be honest but apparently he was on the Seattle AAA team.

• Advertisement

Jason Werth's announced his retirement today. Didn't realise he was still playing to be honest but apparently he was on the Seattle AAA team.

My wifes' favourite player. Always loved him with the Nats to be honest. Gave 100% all of the time.

Advertisement