Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mariners now have both King Felix and Paxton on the DL, and were scouting Syndegaard at last night's Mets game. I would be surprised if they don't add a starter. Interestingly, both Matt Harvey and Hansel Robles have pitched pretty well since leaving the Mets.

Should be a very interesting trade deadline. I can certainly see the Mets and Reds being sellers. Harvey or Syndegaard in a Mariner's uniform wouldn't be as depressing as them ending up closer to NYC (like, heavens forfend, in the Bronx.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Billy Hamilton at it again.....

Billy Hamilton at it again.....
    Slow time of year for baseball. That catch wasn't all that impressive. Hamilton's done better...

Igotadose wrote: »
    That catch wasn't all that impressive.

Seriously? You’re a tough man to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Cardinals sack Mike Matheny

• Advertisement

Seriously? You’re a tough man to impress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaEQVKIDGU

I got Kershaw pitching wooo. Sitting in Dodger Stadium now.
    Fairly hot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I got Kershaw pitching wooo. Sitting in Dodger Stadium now.
    Fairly hot
    Looks hot! Not much shade for a day game at Dodgers Stadium. Enjoy...

I’ve little to no interest in the Home Run Derby or ASG and last night’s game wouldn’t be making me rush to watch it next year.

I’m not a fan of the boom or bust baseball and 25 strikeouts and 10 of the 11 scoring plays being via the long ball isn’t my idea of a great game.

Anyway, back to real baseball now. Will Machado be in LA before the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I’ve little to no interest in the Home Run Derby or ASG and last night’s game wouldn’t be making me rush to watch it next year.

I’m not a fan of the boom or bust baseball and 25 strikeouts and 10 of the 11 scoring plays being via the long ball isn’t my idea of a great game.

Anyway, back to real baseball now. Will Machado be in LA before the weekend?

I read a compelling argument on the New York Times about why the Yankees should go all in on Machado and deal Judge to the Mets for Syndergaard and De Grom. Was a good read and makes sense.

• Advertisement

deal Judge to the Mets for Syndergaard and De Grom.

Any team with competent owners/management wouldn't make that deal in a million years. But it is the Mets we're dealing with here but even still, I can't see that deal getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

According to mlb.com machado to the dodgers is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Any team with competent owners/management wouldn't make that deal in a million years. But it is the Mets we're dealing with here but even still, I can't see that deal getting done.

There are compelling arguments to do it, wouldnt be a straight swap for the two pitchers would include some pitching prospects and possibly sonny gray as well. But it could make sense. Judge is on a tiny contract and not going to be a free agent for 4 more full seasons. Mets are at nothing at the moment and this trade could revamp the entire organisation if you get the right moving parts.

Judge could be a monster for the MEts and the two pitchers would move the Yankees to the level of the Astros. Losing judge wouldnt hurt the yankees line up providing they get Machado. But it is an interesting scenario. Probably wont happen but some good writing to explain why it could and possibly should happen.

Not MLB but worth seeing anyway.

Someone's nice and ready after the all star break

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1020428603131957249

Mets trade Familia to the A's for two underwhelming prospects. Familia is probably the best reliever on the Market and that was all they could get.

I despair:(

ShyMets wrote: »
    Mets trade Familia to the A's for two underwhelming prospects. Familia is probably the best reliever on the Market and that was all they could get.

I despair:(

Very disappointing indeed.

The most frustrating thing was they came out on Friday saying that they would take on salary to get better prospects yet less than 24 hours later they do the opposite and leave Oakland paying Familla's full salary and they get two bums in return.

So it was all about reducing payroll AGAIN and not about retooling for next season and beyond.

Very disappointing indeed.

The most frustrating thing was they came out on Friday saying that they would take on salary to get better prospects yet less than 24 hours later they do the opposite and leave Oakland paying Familla's full salary and they get two bums in return.

So it was all about reducing payroll AGAIN and not about retooling for next season and beyond.

They could always re-sign him in the offseason. Look how well their Free Agents are doing! Swarzak, Vargas, Frazier, Bruce - wow!

I watched most of the game yesterday, had enough watching their so-called center fielder misplay 3 balls in a row. Yeah, the balls were hit hard. It's the big leagues. 2 of the 3 balls were catchable.

Their first baseman of the future is back in the minors after not hitting (of course, not getting much opportunity to play, that's the Mets way.) S'OK, we can field a lineup of utility infielders to play the Y*****s. Two of our starting outfielders have nearly as many home runs as 1 of theirs!

Oh, and the most expensive player on the team (that's not on the 60 day DL), may need 8-10 months of 'rehab' due to surgery for 'heel calcification.' That explains why he doesn't run hard anymore.

Just pass the Scotch. 2 weeks till Jets minicamp opens, and another dimension of fan misery is visited.

They could always re-sign him in the offseason. Look how well their Free Agents are doing! Swarzak, Vargas, Frazier, Bruce - wow!

I watched most of the game yesterday, had enough watching their so-called center fielder misplay 3 balls in a row. Yeah, the balls were hit hard. It's the big leagues. 2 of the 3 balls were catchable.

Their first baseman of the future is back in the minors after not hitting (of course, not getting much opportunity to play, that's the Mets way.) S'OK, we can field a lineup of utility infielders to play the Y*****s. Two of our starting outfielders have nearly as many home runs as 1 of theirs!

Oh, and the most expensive player on the team (that's not on the 60 day DL), may need 8-10 months of 'rehab' due to surgery for 'heel calcification.' That explains why he doesn't run hard anymore.

Just pass the Scotch. 2 weeks till Jets minicamp opens, and another dimension of fan misery is visited.

And what the hell is going on with Cespedes....??????

And what the hell is going on with Cespedes....??????

No one officially knows. Was quoted as saying he'd need surgery and rehab 8-10 months for 'heel calcification.' Could be true. The FO hasn't made any announcement about it, the manager mumbled something about it a couple days ago.

Just another day in the life of that crack NY Mets organization.

If indeed Cespedes needs such an extensive rehab, they should be 60 day DL'ing him now, and get the surgery done ASAP. Per one of the blogs, there's a rumor that there's no insurance on Cespedes contract and as such the Wilponzis want him to play as much as possible, waiting till the offseason for the surgery.

Just a joke. Pass the Scotch.

• Advertisement

Of course it could only happen to a Mets player but Syndergaard has been placed on the DL with hand, foot and mouth disease.

You can’t make this crap up. Next DeGrom will go down with scurvy or something.

Of course it could only happen to a Mets player but Syndergaard has been placed on the DL with hand, foot and mouth disease.

NY Post has a good article on what a goat rodeo (US Slang, sorry - looking for suggestions on good Irish slang to describe a clownishly bad organization) the Mets are. https://nypost.com/2018/07/22/the-mets-are-a-joke-and-refuse-to-admit-their-real-problem/

The article mentions that the Mets FO said nothing about the Familia trade in real time. Totally agree - yes, he blew some big games, but he was as reliable as they came over a long haul and was probably one of the best relievers out there still. Toiling away on an awful team with few save opportunities this year, isn't his fault, and after coming back from the DL was rounding into form. A 'cardiac closer' for sure, but so was John Franco who was revered by the fan base (well, until he and Benitez blew the 2000 WS) but that goes with the territory. Low class move to not have done anything for Familia. And the trade might as well as been for a 'bag of balls' as a couple of unimpressive minor-leaguers, and $1m in international pool money. Oooh, a million dollars. Got the Wilponzis excited I'm sure.

Anyway, I highly recommend Dingle Distillery Single malt to get you through your baseball woes. Can be tricky to find in Ireland. Distilled locally by a fine bunch o' lads.

What the fu*k. I'd ask how he got it but I'm probably better off not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Not MLB but worth seeing anyway.

Hilarious, seen it on around the horn, yeah I think he didn't go hahahahahahaha

NY Post has a good article on what a goat rodeo (US Slang, sorry - looking for suggestions on good Irish slang to describe a clownishly bad organization) the Mets are. https://nypost.com/2018/07/22/the-mets-are-a-joke-and-refuse-to-admit-their-real-problem/

The article mentions that the Mets FO said nothing about the Familia trade in real time. Totally agree - yes, he blew some big games, but he was as reliable as they came over a long haul and was probably one of the best relievers out there still. Toiling away on an awful team with few save opportunities this year, isn't his fault, and after coming back from the DL was rounding into form. A 'cardiac closer' for sure, but so was John Franco who was revered by the fan base (well, until he and Benitez blew the 2000 WS) but that goes with the territory. Low class move to not have done anything for Familia. And the trade might as well as been for a 'bag of balls' as a couple of unimpressive minor-leaguers, and $1m in international pool money. Oooh, a million dollars. Got the Wilponzis excited I'm sure.

Anyway, I highly recommend Dingle Distillery Single malt to get you through your baseball woes. Can be tricky to find in Ireland. Distilled locally by a fine bunch o' lads.

Muppets. It's more British slang. But it perfectly sums up the Mets owners. Any chance that MLB will force the Wilpons to sell

Single single malt is a cracking whiskey. I know a couple of whiskey bars in dublin that normally have it in stock

ShyMets wrote: »
    Any chance that MLB will force the Wilpons to sell

Not a chance in hell. Rob Manfred appointed Fred Wilpon chairman of MLB’s Finance Committee just after he became commissioner.

Yes, the same Fred Wilpon that fell for one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in history and cost his businesses and thousands of small time investors who he represented hundreds of millions of dollars. He’s not going anywhere.

Not a chance in hell. Rob Manfred appointed Fred Wilpon chairman of MLB’s Finance Committee just after he became commissioner.

Yes, the same Fred Wilpon that fell for one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in history and cost his businesses and thousands of small time investors who he represented hundreds of millions of dollars. He’s not going anywhere.

But hey, he parlayed a $1 million investment into becoming the overall owner after stabbing Doubleday in the back. And as far as he knows, he's built an homage to Dodger Stadium in Queens; remember how after Citi opened, the fans guilted the Mets ownership into putting more Mets stuff up there? Robinson rotunda is fine, but where's Seaver plaza and the Piazza pavilion?

And they're going nowhere indeed. They were tight with Selig and even though he's gone, Manfred is totally behind them. Going to be a tough summer to get through, heck, it's been pretty awful sportswise since about the middle of April.

At least he has a sense of humour about it.

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/1021437608193212416

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Tebow is done for the season too, so I guess no chance of a September circus tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Tebow is done for the season too, so I guess no chance of a September circus tomorrow.

It’s the Mets. With or without Tebow there will be a circus.

Advertisement