Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems like a whiff of cordite off the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Doubtful it's "feud" related in my opinion.

There's at least one high profile Amateur Hutch boxer. Well at least he was a few years ago when it kicked off. Was top level underage kid at the time. Would be setting a silly precedent of attacking people in clubs if you're own are vulnerable to the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Seems like a whiff of cordite off the lot of them.

You keep saying this, wanna expand on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

deco nate wrote: »
    You keep saying this, wanna expand on it.

Seems to mean a battle is about to commence.
    Seems to be adopted by the rugby circle.
    Seems odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The Gardas did me speeding at the weekend thats where the resources are, going after decent people while the scumbags roam free.

How are Gardai supposed to pre-empt strikes?

Either way, it does not excuse your speeding, which is also an offence, is dangerous and you were rightly done for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

The Gardas did me speeding at the weekend thats where the resources are, going after decent people while the scumbags roam free.

Yeah well tell me this doctor. I seen a fella getting treated for a bump on the head in Beaumont last week. That doctor should of been out curing cancer. The whole system is a mess.
    Don’t get me started on plumbers fitting kitchen sinks when there’s hotels to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Name some Irish boxing clubs that aren't gangster centred or full of ex hardened criminals, a way to rope in impressional youths under the guise of Irish boxing, it's a disgrace and so are the IBA.

Northside (Cork), O.L.O.L, Swords, Kilnamanagh, Callan, Kanturk, Paulstown, Ballynacargy, St Brigids (Kildare), Glasnevin, Neilstown, Clann Naofa.

Just a sample few.... BTW, ( co-incidentally :D ) all the named clubs had young boxers that brought home medals from the European Schoolboys and Schoolgirls in Bulgaria last week !! 14 medals in all - 4 Gold, 4 Silver and 6 Bronze and finished second in the medals table behind Russia and also second in the Gold medal table behind Russia out of 27 competing nations. You don't get results like that without hundreds of hours of training from dedicated boxers and coaches, the vast majority of whom have zero connection to any criminality.

It's a fact that many criminals do and have attached themselves to boxing but in the overall scheme they're still a very small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pathetic.

Seems to mean a battle is about to commence.
    Seems to be adopted by the rugby circle.
    Seems odd to me.

Well I thought she was in the "know" about something seeing as she lives in Spain (I seem to remember the poster is a she) thanks for Clarifying a cryptic post

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Totally innocent and valuable member of the community according to tributes, shocking. Killed training before work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sadly I think it's going to take worse than a Veronica Guerin incident to wake the public and politicians up as to the shambles of a security situation we have in this state.

Incidentally this shambles was shown up for all to see when the store was looted and destroyed in Tallaght during the snow in March.

That incident was extremely serious in terms of showing up just how fragile public security is in the state. It took a few hours of snowfall in our biggest city to bring anarchy and lawlessness to that area of southwest Dublin and the gardai couldn't even physically get in to the area. It was free reign.

Has anything been learnt from that? I don't know. Maybe. I'd be surprised.

With the judiciary in particular it's a mix of spinelessness and just political correctness, listening to cock and bull stories of every scumbag that appears in the courts with their free legal aid and acting accordingly.

Go to any court hearings anywhere in Ireland and try leave without being infuriated at what goes on.

What is tolerated in this country is not tolerated anywhere else. Judges, gardai, government - all to blame for us not being able to a get a grip of crime in the country, petty and serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Name some Irish boxing clubs that aren't gangster centred or full of ex hardened criminals, a way to rope in impressional youths under the guise of Irish boxing, it's a disgrace and so are the IBA.

Garda boxing club??????
    Any of the University Boxing Clubs???????

I'd imagine you're not getting the hardened gangsters down in the like of Brosna or Geesala either

I take it that you've never stepped inside a club, bar maybe the odd inner city Dublin one and noticed a few wannabe hard-chaws

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

isnt garda overtime in dublin west being curtailed so they can cover the papal visit. and these same gards cant keep an eye on this because of that? thats great for the the gangmembers in fairness.

Garda boxing club??????
    Any of the University Boxing Clubs???????

I'd imagine you're not getting the hardened gangsters down in the like of Brosna or Geesala either

I take it that you've never stepped inside a club, bar maybe the odd inner city Dublin one and noticed a few wannabe hard-chaws

He's a "guy" on the know don't ya know.... Knows all, knows **** all. Claims to know all about gangs all over the country.

Amazing Intel, pity he doesn't talk to the cops with his "Intel"

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

What's up with everyone saying Bray is a kip? I've lived here my entire life and it's a beautiful town with a great beach. Like any big town there's a few rougher neighbourhoods but comparing Bray to Limerick? Have you even been to Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Gardas did me for speeding at the weekend thats where the resources are, going after decent people while the scumbags roam free.

Who's the "decent" people you refer to Doc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

deco nate wrote: »
    He's a "guy" on the know don't ya know.... Knows all, knows **** all. Claims to know all about gangs all over the country.

Amazing Intel, pity he doesn't talk to the cops with his "Intel"

Maybe he's a , ya know , a journalist .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,509 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I do realise that the police cannot be everywhere at once. But realistically they are reactive, not proactive anywhere now.

You didn't hear of any of the many arrests of armed people on their way to do hits then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Sponge25 wrote: »
    What's up with everyone saying Bray is a kip? I've lived here my entire life and it's a beautiful town with a great beach. Like any big town there's a few rougher neighbourhoods but comparing Bray to Limerick? Have you even been to Bray?

Don't take it too seriously.

There will be people who think everywhere is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sponge25 wrote:

Have you ever been to Limerick? Both lovely places. To be fair I'd consider dun laoighre rougher than Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The Gardas did me for speeding at the weekend thats where the resources are, going after decent people while the scumbags roam free.

How about you stop speeding so they don't have to waste their time dealing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Have you ever been to Limerick?

emo72 wrote: »
    isnt garda overtime in dublin west being curtailed so they can cover the papal visit. and these same gards cant keep an eye on this because of that? thats great for the the gangmembers in fairness.

How would Gardai working overtime stop gangland crime?

It's not as easy as you make out.

Sadly I think it's going to take worse than a Veronica Guerin incident to wake the public and politicians up as to the shambles of a security situation we have in this state.

Incidentally this shambles was shown up for all to see when the store was looted and destroyed in Tallaght during the snow in March.

That incident was extremely serious in terms of showing up just how fragile public security is in the state. It took a few hours of snowfall in our biggest city to bring anarchy and lawlessness to that area of southwest Dublin and the gardai couldn't even physically get in to the area. It was free reign.

Has anything been learnt from that? I don't know. Maybe. I'd be surprised.

With the judiciary in particular it's a mix of spinelessness and just political correctness, listening to cock and bull stories of every scumbag that appears in the courts with their free legal aid and acting accordingly.

Go to any court hearings anywhere in Ireland and try leave without being infuriated at what goes on.

What is tolerated in this country is not tolerated anywhere else. Judges, gardai, government - all to blame for us not being able to a get a grip of crime in the country, petty and serious.

Sorry but this is just alarmist.

The truth is that all societies are on the brink of anarchy and collapse. The Lidl incident was just an opportunistic crime by a small group that achieved dramatic results.

Look at history and you’ll see how quickly “anarchy” can take hold. London Riots, Arab Spring. Even the Russian Revolution in 1917 leading to the Soviet Union started overnight and then it collapsed very quickly in 1989.

What happened yesterday was simply a crime. A sad one indeed and one we can do without. But gangland crime is caused by a tiny group of people in terms of percentage of our population so there’s no need to think the whole country is in crisis because of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

murpho999 wrote: »
    How would Gardai working overtime stop gangland crime?

It's not as easy as you make out.

People seem to think a few guards out on patrol will stop gangland crime and drug dealing and what not. :rolleyes:

Overlooking the fact that the guys in traffic have completely different training to the ones who are working in the drug squad etc.. so the ones who stop you for speeding are never going to be getting heavily involved in gangland crime.

But lets all pretend that this isn't the case and pretend that speeding, driving without licence/insurance/NCT etc are not crimes and that we shouldn't have guards trained up to work in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yeah i agree calling it a Kip isn't right. It looks nice along the sea front however it does seem to have a pretty rough element living there. It's funny how it is so different to Greystones although it's only a stones throw away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Maybe he's a , ya know , a journalist .

If Tommy Robinson can call himself a journalist, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone find it odd that we're not hearing too much about the innocent man killed?

Nearly all the papers are about Taylor being the target - but very little about the guy who was killed.
    The news last night mentioned Gardai didn't know of him previously, so I presume he was not involved in any gang related activities?

If this is the case, there doesn't seem to be a big outcry at the death of an innocent bystander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Anyone find it odd that we're not hearing too much about the innocent man killed?

Nearly all the papers are about Taylor being the target - but very little about the guy who was killed.
    The news last night mentioned Gardai didn't know of him previously, so I presume he was not involved in any gang related activities?

If this is the case, there doesn't seem to be a big outcry at the death of an innocent bystander.

Because mentioning Taylor gets more clicks and sells more papers....

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Yeah i agree calling it a Kip isn't right. It looks nice along the sea front however it does seem to have a pretty rough element living there. It's funny how it is so different to Greystones although it's only a stones throw away...

I don't get this rough element.
    The place doesn't even have any bars that I would deem dodgy which it did have a few years ago.
    Fights/incidents at weekends are almost zero even though there is a thriving social scene, especially along the seafront.

Comparing to Greystones, which is much smaller and doesn't really have as much going on is not exactly fair. It has a combination of older money or new private house dwellers who use it as a commuting town.
    However, maybe take a trip to Kindlestown Park to see a different side.

Go a similar distance the other way and one could argue that Shankill or Ballybrack are rougher but that wouldn't be fair either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement