Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Been less of problem since southbound darts were postponed at weekends due to works a few years ago.

Scummers then discovered Portmarnock and other places.

Bray is in a great location, has great scenery with Bray Head (view from there is beautiful).

Has a great selection of pubs and restaurants with a varied choice of foods.

Ranging from Platform Pizza, Box Burger, Campo de Fiori Italian, Dockyard No8, Daata Tandoori to name but a few.

To live in it has a few council estates, majority of which are quiet but these are outnumbered by private estates that are all decent along with some very expensive areas such as Meath Road, Putland Hill, Herbert Road,King Edward Road etc.
    The area also has an excellent choice of schools. So I don't get where the idea of it being rough or a kip is. It's totally unjustifed.

This is good enough for me to accept that Bray is a lovely safe place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

What is yer man Taylors background? Know virtually nothing about him other than hes English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Feckin reg plates blocked FFS and on Pete's white flash motor too, isn't there a few north inner city criminals hiding out in the north still?

Where did all the money for a flash gym and car come from? Goverment grants? boxing as a whole is gangster centred and is applauded.

The word cops is used in articles to get the information out faster, it's all about the clicks baby :)

It was mentioned earlier bray council own the gym. Pete was being well paid by MTK global though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

tomofson wrote: »
    I doubt the "scummers" really do much else apart from have a few drinks and are maybe a bit loud, seems more like just snobbery to me. Not wanting to get too close to the working class.

That's not actually what it is TBH. What sets scummers apart from just random folks having drinks and playing music is the addition of an aggro vibe. We get it in Sandycove as well during summer weather - whenever you hear of a massive fight involving serious violence and Garda intervention, it's almost never local lads but people who flock in from elsewhere.

Very few people are total dry sh!te "get off mah lawn" types who have a problem with crowds drinking and partying during the day in the summer and in public places, it's when the vibe turns nasty that people have an issue. The stuff which Portmarnock has become notorious for isn't underage drinking or loudness in and of itself, it's the fact that some elements of the crowd who show up to do it are also the type to get aggressive and start verbally abusing people and beating the sh!te out of eachother.

I've almost never seen the Gardai enforcing the "no drinking in public" bullsh!t without an additional reason. Where I live at least, they're totally fine with people congregating in public areas and having outdoor beers, but they'll hover around the place all the same and at the first hint of people roaring angrily at eachother and preparing to have a scrap, that's when they'll break it all up.

In short, what defines "scummers" and sets them apart from everyone else is a tendency towards senseless violence for the very slightest "offence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

thebull85 wrote: »
    It was mentioned earlier bray council own the gym. Pete was being well paid by MTK global though.

I seen an article alright with bray councillors saying Pete was shot and great person blah blah blah pockets are being lined so obviously a grant for equipment too?it set my spider sences tingling :) does bray councillors not check before they give wads to people with connections to MTK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

I seen an article alright with bray councillors saying Pete was shot and great person blah blah blah pockets are being lined so obviously a grant for equipment too?it set my spider sences tingling :) does bray councillors not check before they give wads to people with connections to MTK.

lol I'd say a few paper shredders are working over time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is good enough for me to accept that Bray is a lovely safe place to live.

What are you trying to achieve by such a sarcastic post?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is it true Taylor is a bit of a ladies man? Is the real reason for his daughter parting ways with him as her trainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

I see the press have named the man who passed away. It’s a bizarre one this, perhaps taking out a high profile person like Taylor would bring a lot of negative attention on mtk which would further hurt their operation in Ireland as had the Regency, so perhaps a clever individual behind organising this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is it true Taylor is a bit of a ladies man? Is the real reason for his daughter parting ways with him as her trainer?

Yes, a younger ladies man, allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Barely legal i hear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Everyone in Bray (well atleast a few) knew Pete Taylor had connections to gangsters like Kinlan going back years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

lol I'd say a few paper shredders are working over time tonight.

Afew phones too, bray councillors will be on over time tonight :)
    I see the press have named the man who passed away. It’s a bizarre one this, perhaps taking out a high profile person like Taylor would bring a lot of negative attention on mtk which would further hurt their operation in Ireland as had the Regency, so perhaps a clever individual behind organising this.

Nope mtk have no Irish operations, they're hated in Ireland and rightly so even Barnes is hated because of his mtk contract and defense of Cancer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I thought he was a man of the Lord? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Strange the van wasn't burnt out? I wonder if the occupant went for a walk to the port and onto a ferry.

Very strange indeed, it didn't even look like there was an attempt to burn it out from the pictures I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Wasn't there something in the papers a few years back about Bray council owing around 10 million euro?
    Also Bray council was to be finished and the authority to be elsewhere?

I can't remember the article but it was also something to do with Gyms and swimming pools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I thought he was a man of the Lord? :rolleyes:

The lord knocked Mary up when she was fairly young.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 liamo1979

Ipso wrote: »
    The lord knocked Mary up when she was fairly young.

14 to 16 was grand back then :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What are you trying to achieve by such a sarcastic post?

I wasn't being one bit sarcastic,. I thought your post was great, you obviously have knowledge of the area(I don't).
    So I was accepting your telling the truth.
    Rather than accepting some of those other posts that are making Bray sound like a dump..
    Sorry if 'we' got crossed wires :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder is he refecting on the i'll train who I want comments now.
    Some boxing fans justify boxers and trainers working with MTK on the basis they don't have others options. That's a poor excuse in my view. Paddy Barnes certainly had other options as did Frampton when he forged a relationship with then. It's one thing unintentionally supporting dodgy people, but there is no excuse if you knowingly do it. I can't understand Macklin either. He seems to be a nice fellow but is good pals with a nasty piece of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boxers and MMA. There is a whiff of cordyte of them to be realistic.

If you use a gym it doesn't have to be a boxing or MMA gym. Geddit.

Nope mtk have no Irish operations, they're hated in Ireland and rightly so even Barnes is hated because of his mtk contract and defense of Cancer!

Yes I know that but wasn’t he training mtk boxers in Ireland so that in itself was a connection, their will be repercussions as I can’t imagine the council who fund the gym knew that but bottom line my point is that it is possible someone is trying to cause so much **** for anyone connected to mtk that no trainer or gym in the country or internationally will touch them which then indirectly affects Kinahan. If Taylor had been killed the clamor would have been a lot louder and would have gone international, father of world champion etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Oh boy.. I can see discussions over the lease/further use/occupancy being umm.. 'interesting'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

That's not actually what it is TBH. What sets scummers apart from just random folks having drinks and playing music is the addition of an aggro vibe. We get it in Sandycove as well during summer weather - whenever you hear of a massive fight involving serious violence and Garda intervention, it's almost never local lads but people who flock in from elsewhere.

Very few people are total dry sh!te "get off mah lawn" types who have a problem with crowds drinking and partying during the day in the summer and in public places, it's when the vibe turns nasty that people have an issue. The stuff which Portmarnock has become notorious for isn't underage drinking or loudness in and of itself, it's the fact that some elements of the crowd who show up to do it are also the type to get aggressive and start verbally abusing people and beating the sh!te out of eachother.

I've almost never seen the Gardai enforcing the "no drinking in public" bullsh!t without an additional reason. Where I live at least, they're totally fine with people congregating in public areas and having outdoor beers, but they'll hover around the place all the same and at the first hint of people roaring angrily at eachother and preparing to have a scrap, that's when they'll break it all up.

In short, what defines "scummers" and sets them apart from everyone else is a tendency towards senseless violence for the very slightest "offence".

Fair enough point, thank you for clearing that up.

Media reporting individual dropped van in Ringsend then calmly cycled away, no attempt to burn it out, odd, usually the vehicles used in gangland attacks are always burned out or they try to Torch them, surely chance of a witness or possible dashcams capturing footage of cyclist at that hour during the morning commute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Media reporting individual dropped van in Ringsend then calmly cycled away, no attempt to burn it out, odd, usually the vehicles used in gangland attacks are always burned out or they try to Torch them, surely chance of a witness or possible dashcams capturing footage of cyclist at that hour during the morning commute

Could be a foreign gunman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just read the last 2 pages and I take it from a few of the recent comments that Bray has been getting some abuse as per. The usual "Bray....Braaaayyy!!. Brayruit LOL!!" sh!tposting.

Thought something I posted elsewhere might be appropriate here too. It was some gob****e saying he was going to pull out of a House purchase in Bray after this mornings news.
    LMFAO.

Calling BS on this one. Are you serious?

Its not Bray gangland. Its a possible Dublin Gangland shooting that happened to happen in a boxing club in Bray. Would you cancel a Dalkey house purchase because some Hutch or Kinahan hitman heard their target happened to be having a Latte in a Dalkey coffee shop and shot him there??

Bray is the 9th largest Town in the Country by population after Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Swords and Dundalk. It has arguably less Major and Minor Crime and antisocial behaviour than catchment areas of a similar size and population. Take the South East Co. Dublin area encapsulated by a line from Dun Laoghaire to Cabinteely to Killiney to Dalkey to Glasthule and back to Dun Laoghaire (With Sallynoggin in the middle) Some of the most expensive Residential Real Estate in the Country. Same size as Bray, Same Population. Higher Crime figures. The problem for Bray is that it is a distinct town so all Crime is reported in the news as 'Bray' crime. Conversely, Crime in Sallynoggin or Dun Laoghaire for example is not called 'Dalkey' or 'Killiney' crime so those areas don't get tarnished by crimes from the others in the news.

Would you refuse to move to Killiney or Dalkey because of a shooting in Dun Laoghaire or Sallynoggin??

Cop on. Bray is a fantastic safe town with enviable resources, like Motorways, Dart, Bus and eventually Luas links to the Capital City a mere 12 miles away and Airport. Yet at the same time is mere minutes drive from the beautiful Wicklow Mountains and the rest of the Garden County. Its got amazing amenities of its own in the form of the Seafront and an easy climb to Bray Head which afford stunning views of Dublin Bay that rival the Bay of Naples. It even has its own micro-climate sheltered as it is from the prevailing South Westerlies by the embrace of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains.

I'll grant you aesthetically it is a little rough around the literal edges with a poor first impression due to ugly warehouse buildings beside the harbour and a derelict Cash & Carry across the road from the Dart Station but so many of those issues are caused by a lack of confidence to invest in these sites for the very reason that you've just been guilty of. Brays undeserved reputation a lot of which comes from 3 decades of 'Dublins Finest' Dart Daytrippers has left a mark on peoples memories. Yes, when people visited Bray seafront they were surrounded by Scobes but those weren't Bray Scobes. In 2006, Ianrod Eireann closed the Dart every weekend for the entire Summer for major line maintenance. 'Dublins finest' moved on to pastures new that Summer and never came back en masse. 'Coincidentally', the residents of Howth and Portmarnock wondered why their upmarket villages and beaches suddenly started getting inundated with thousands of 'knacker drinking' Dublin teens every sunny Summers day from about 2006 onwards. They've even got videos on youtube about it entitled. Portmarnock/Howth Summer Riots 2009, 2012, 2013 etc etc.

In the same period, Bray Seafront has become gentrified and seen a proliferation of quality Restaurants, Gastro Pubs, Coffee Shops and Gelateria.

Now we just need to change peoples ingrained mindset about Bray so that Bray can finally get the inward investment that it deserves and these derelict sites and eyesores can be dealt with. Its unfortunate that just as the process of gentrification began and Bray started to change the hearts and minds, the Crash happened before any of the major eyesore sites and derelicts were developed.

tomofson wrote: »
    Could be a foreign gunman

Yeah possibly, it’s strange this one, it’s bizarre that you would just leave the van with traces of dna etc and then cycle, not even have a second car, is pigeon house road a particularly quiet road? The time as well with people traveling to work greatly increases the chances of being identified, could be a complete amateur too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Fcukin cyclists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Barely legal i hear..

The girl (Katie's friend) that he shacked up with is 30. Not sure where you heard this "barely legal" nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement