Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No thunder overnight and only 1.8mm of rain in West Clare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No thunder observed here either in Kerry although see a few sferics off the coast overnight, 3.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

This is the part I hate. The excitement is over and that you’ll never see something like that again for the rest of your life lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Short enough TS here on the S Dublin coast at 6am. A few decent flashes and rumbles. Moderate-heavy rain folliwed by a 5 min burst of very heavy rain. Hoping for another shower or two before the day is up - enembles looking very dry and thats coming from an already dry May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some lightning strikes out in the Irish Sea currently.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/lightning

I would nearly drive to a point where i can see it lol, seems to have dissapated when it go to dublin this morning, Was up at 6 am heard a bit of thunder but no sparks could be seen.

Viewpoint up in the dublin mountains or maybe sandymount strand might be good viewpoints?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pad199207 wrote: »
    This is the part I hate. The excitement is over and that you’ll never see something like that again for the rest of your life lol

Not at all ! The chase continues :pac:

Dare I say looking promising Tues over Cork again and into the SW ?

i0XvSrI.png

0URwJPM.png

tempresult_vsy1.gif

tempresult_fis5.gif

nmmuk-0-63-0_qjh9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The stuff in the Irish sea is not making landfall in an electrified state. Clearly the lower temps enroute is literally taking the heat out of them. I'm not optimistic things will change but I hope I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Aaah so this is why the sky was lighting up every so often as I staggered around town in the early hours of the morning - I presumed it was lightning but there was no thunder?

Could that be because it was too far away or city noise pollution or what?

Bit miffed regardless; it's my favourite weather phenomenom and happens so rarely in Ireland - would love to have been somewhere to watch it

The stuff in the Irish sea is not making landfall in an electrified state. Clearly the lower temps enroute is literally taking the heat out of them. I'm not optimistic things will change but I hope I'm wrong!

Right before it all kicked off here last night temps were 16c. Temps were 12-14c during the height of it.
    Feels way more Thundery today then last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Feck missed most of it. Seen lightning around 2am to 3am. Fell asleep then. Grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Pretty constant off Waterford of hours the dot is a fishing boat out in the middle of it eeek.
    42385350461_26db2f7381.jpg
    41661450254_69e94f928f.jpg
    41661449924_e4896cbdd1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Stunning pics ,nature really is fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Surprised by the size and intensity of the showers hitting the E. No sparks obviously but a respectable rain rate here on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can see the intensity of the rain in this shot Most of the time strike were blocked by the curtain. The weird thing it was moving left to right out to sea and the wind was coming from the north
    42385349921_3b3df69b42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Unexpected rain in Dublin city centre a while ago. I'm not sure if it is still raining, but it is noticeably cooler than earlier. No thunder to report!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Well what a show last night it was for many. Certainly one of the best cluster of storms to cover a good portion of the country

Here was the view I managed to catch from Howth summit.
    451795.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we had no thunder here at all last night. Today is very cool here in south Meath with grey skies all day and heavy rain now. The only decent day we've had in this current spell was Friday so far. There is an ongoing thunderstorm risk till about Wednesday, so hopefully i'll catch one at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Well what a show last night it was for many. Certainly one of the best cluster of storms to cover a good portion of the country

451795.jpg

Very nice. Is that composite or a single exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Reati wrote: »
    Very nice. Is that composite or a single exposure?

Blend of 3 10s shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Few rumbles in the distance here now in north laois

AlanMcC23 wrote: »
    Few rumbles in the distance here now in north laois

Are you sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

451795.jpg

Stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

pad199207 wrote: »
    Are you sure ?

Yep absolutely. Two or three rumbles was all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ian, your pictures are always stunning, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nothing in Athlone as usual

The Slieve Blooms killed the thunder for us

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I heard plenty of thunder here in Kilkenny and regular flashes around 4am before and after - that was the peak time for the rain 59mm/hr, but it was nothing exceptional like 1985 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Big storms have broken out in the West Midlands of England. Looks like they may make landfall further north than yesterday's storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just heard a loud rumble in Blanch, thought it was an aircraft but then there was a flash.

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    Just heard a loud rumble in Blanch, thought it was an aircraft but then there was a flash.

You sure?

Advertisement