Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

thomasj wrote: »
    Just heard a loud rumble in Blanch, thought it was an aircraft but then there was a flash.

A rumble and then a flash? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Im not tbh.

I heard a rumble for a few seconds which set dogs off

I thought I saw a brightish flash

But I could be jumping to conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

highdef wrote: »
    Big storms have broken out in the West Midlands of England. Looks like they may make landfall further north than yesterday's storms.
    Looks like the same scenario I mentioned earlier in that once the storms start crossing the Irish Sea, the electrics cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The pics on this thread are amazing! Thanks to all of you for uploading them!
    My power was knocked out last night but when I got up this morning it was only the sockets that had tripped. Very weird!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I saw this looking southeast after a massive lighting bolt, not sure what it is

https://vimeo.com/272053183

Astronomy Ireland on facebook are asking did anyone see a huge fireball last night, perhaps post them that video and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there ever was going to be a Thundery night well tonight feels like it. Before the storms last night it didn’t feel like it all.

Gas really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tomorrow Tues looks like potential for thunderstorms in the Munster region, possibly parts of the W also from the afternoon. Warm Temperatures, high Theta E, high CAPE readings, lower level wind convergence, reasonable lapse rates , possibly heavy localizes rain which may require warnings.

tempresult_lwp0.gif

tempresult_jdz3.gif

nmmuk-0-43-0_vqm3.png

tempresult_ayo3.gif

tempresult_azm5.gif

nmmuk-3-43-0_kpo0.png

vAaKqRg.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

tempresult_isl4.gif

tempresult_fgp2.gif

Convection over the wicklow mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Suddenly gone off Thunderstorms.

scary stuff alright

Same in the UK not nice to see this thankfully no one hurt

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-44270759

This is why we should all have lightning rods.

Does anyone remember on RTE News some years ago that showed lightning having gone through the roof of the house straight through to the kitchen floor and melted the floor tiles ?

Does anyone remember on RTE News some years ago that showed lightning having gone through the roof of the house straight through to the kitchen floor and melted the floor tiles ?

I remember the house that was newly built in Maree Oranmore Galway that they showed on TV where all the roof tiles came off and the house was very badly damaged inside I think that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There are some lovely towering clouds developing over the Wicklow Mountains, look in that direction and they can be seen through the haze.
    Not quite Cnbs yet but getting there, places such as Kildare, Laois may get something later on?

I remember the house that was newly built in Maree Oranmore Galway that they showed on TV where all the roof tiles came off and the house was very badly damaged inside I think that was it.

Could have been alright, I remember the hole in the floor ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Anyone know whether the standard buildings and contents house insurance covers such incidents, or are they considered as "Acts of God" and hence uninsurable?

Squatter wrote: »
    Anyone know whether the standard buildings and contents house insurance covers such incidents, or are they considered as "Acts of God" and hence uninsurable?

AS far as I know they will cover storm damage which takes into account a lightning strike, where I work there are some Polish guys who tell me its compulsory to have a lightning rod fitted to your home in Poland, pretty sure that applies in other Countries as well, common sense really should be fitted in every home.

Yep they have them in Germany, 2 or 3 on each house, I don't know why it's not compulsory here, common sense doesn't apply here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Couple of cells have flared up between Brighton and Portsmouth and more interestingly, another North of Swansea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Couple of cells have flared up between Brighton and Portsmouth and more interestingly, another North of Swansea.

Noticed those....was just keeping an eye on the lightning detectors for the Welsh one.

Those cells are forming on Sea Breeze Convergence.

A slight possibility of something tonight but only slight I'd say. Similar track as the other night.

Another cell near holyhead

Look over the North of France, It would be nice if that made it's way over, it's certainly heading in the right direction.

Look over the North of France, It would be nice if that made it's way over, it's certainly heading in the right direction.

Just saw that now. Would be very very nice indeed

Those French cells are heading West into Biscay

• Advertisement

Just saw that now. Would be very very nice indeed

Sadly, now it looks like it's getting weaker as it heads for the sea.

Advertisement