Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thunder, north Dublin. No visible lightning yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Very loud thunder in Horse & Jockey, Tipperary. Less than 3 seconds beteeen lightning and thunder. Loud enough to almost rattle the windows. Cant believe our 10 month is sleeling through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thunder and lightning alongside very intense rain in Mountmellick now. For the past 20 minutes. Closest and loudest thunder I've heard here in 10 years. Counts of 3-4 between lightning and thunder.
    Hoping it tapers off, and hey presto it is as I write, because southeast is where the rain caused the intense rain of November 17 caused the flood of floods in Mountmellick. This rain will definitely rise the Owenass to it's banks but only for a few hours I'd say. Barrow well able to take it and fields bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sweet foook look at the chart now.. Just woke up. We are in for a treat..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very heavy rain in Dublin 16 atm but no sparks for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

IvySlayer wrote:
    I saw this looking southeast after a massive lighting bolt, not sure what it is

Government jet. Cabinet referendum after-party.

Ah well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

IvySlayer wrote: »

https://vimeo.com/272053183

Ivyslayer,I do believe you have caught a rare thing Indeed ,looks to me like ball lighting ,saw twice in my life one during the big tunderstorm of 85 ,just like your video and second time in Poland traveling along electric power lines during a tunderstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

IvySlayer wrote: »

https://vimeo.com/272053183

Looks a lot like a distress flare.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

I passed out & slept through all the fun here in cork city. GUTTED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Pretty epic night here really intense about 5.30am. For weather lovers we’ve got a bit of everything so far this year now let’s have a warm sunny at times thunderstorm summer like last night again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Reversal wrote: »
    Looks a lot like a distress flare.

Aye. Check the local rnli stations and see where they out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I sort of liking this type of weather. Warm and humid with a threat of thunder in the air. Here in north east Limerick we weren't that impacted by the overnight weather. Saw far off lightening from south Tipperary when I was bedding down before 2 am. this morning. I heard a very long rumble of thunder at around 6 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Power outage here in Dublin 14.
    I wonder if any power stations have been hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

As others have said pretty epic thunder and light show for some last night. Hopped out of bed shortly after 4.30 to plug out all the electronics, it was pretty intense while it lasted. The birdies and a local pheasant didn't seem to mind it though, they continued with their early morning tweeting and crowing as usual :p

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Absolutely got banged in arklow last night, swear I thought it was roadstone blasting away until I woke up properly

Some show last night for some. UK got it good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was loving it this morning, running around the house try to catch a flash tough a window. The kids all slept though it, couldn't believe it. My wife (Chinese) thought i had lost the plot..thats not a real thunderstorm.....
    Like the snow this year, will be a while till we see the likes of that again here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Lovely and sunny here in Louth at the minute but theres convection in the Irish Sea heading our way. Serms to be some embedded stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Convection going up east of me in the Irish sea. Netweather reported a solitary strike a while back. Could get interesting.

As an aside, Stansted airport is at a standstill. Aircraft refuelling systems are out of action due to lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

Best thunderstorm i have ever witnessed. At the height of it dad likened it to the 80's style event. He was gobsmacked as was I. The one thing that caught my attention apart from the lightning obviously was the convective wind gusts that were occurring ahead of the storm.

Ofcourse didnt even expect that kinda stuff last night, so even better!

Have experienced the 80's style snow this year and i wanted to experience an 80's style thunderstorm and now I have! 2018 ill remember.

• Advertisement

Is that it then???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cannot believe what we had in Cork City last night. Basically three hours+ straight of thunder storm. It's going in the history books for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Is that it then???

For now it seems although keep an eye to the Irish sea.

May see some more of the same on Friday evening. Bit far out to accurately predict yet. Things look to spark off in the pm but all that could change between now and then.

For now it seems although keep an eye to the Irish sea.

May see some more of the same on Friday evening. Bit far out to accurately predict yet. Things look to spark off in the pm but all that could change between now and then.

Some lightning strikes out in the Irish Sea currently.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Is there another active cell in the Irish Sea right now to my untrained eye guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kittyn wrote:
    Is there another active cell in the Irish Sea right now to my untrained eye guys??

Yup, see link above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Between Opheila, Emma and last night. We've had a good run of interesting weather in Cork! Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Cannot believe what we had in Cork City last night. Basically three hours+ straight of thunder storm. It's going in the history books for sure.

While here on the shores of Bantry Bay less than 50 miles away as the crow flies, we didn't get a single flash, boom or rumble! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Strike just off the coast of North Dublin, hopefully it start getting good here :), Starting to lash down aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great reports / videos and pics from last night's storms, for the record included the sferic count. I remember reading that probably only about a third of strikes or so are detected so impressive night indeed!

Netweather reporting 13,000 lightning strikes last night over UK and Ireland.

l8bTOHy.gif

QJEoZ0l.png

PFZN7Wy.png

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1000610771414474752

https://twitter.com/convectivewx/status/1000608513771663360

Advertisement