Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

just getting louder here in wicklow now

took this video about 15 mins ago out bedroom window

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I saw the sky light up and a bright orange ball with a smoke trail go through the sky and fizzle out what is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The storm I've been awaiting here in S.Kildare has literally died a death lightning wise JUST as it was on final approaches to me. Only lightning coming from the newer cells once again way off to the East.

EDIT: Still producing some lovely forks now and then mind...just lost the frequency of 30 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lightning in Dublin 11 no thunder.

It's distant but it's coming.

I recommend you find the nearest golf course - find a really open space - and set up camp. For safety. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It better hurry up for Bray because it'll be daylight soon.

Definitely getting closer as I am starting to hear some thunder now whereas earlier when looking at the spectacular stuff over Wexford and South Wicklow it was silent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very heavy downpours with regular flashes and rumbles now. Spectacular.

South Carlow.

Kilkenny city the same. Woke me up about 20 mins ago
    Some very bright flashes, intermittent rain bursts

Holy crap, the house literally shook with that last clap of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Appears to be right over Carlow town now, thunder is shaking the house!

Rain quite intense also!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Warning updated.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly
    Bands of heavy thunderstorms moving up from the Southeast giving torrential downpours locally in short periods leading to spot flooding. Risk of hail also.

Issued: Sunday 27 May 2018 03:00

Valid from Sunday 27 May 2018 03:00 to Sunday 27 May 2018 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In Wicklow town...

In my deep sleep stupour I thought there was an artillery attack...... In a dream state one would think it was anything

Dove from bed to the curtain to see quite the light show to the south / South West

Never seen souch lightning in my life

• Advertisement

Irish sea is lighting up. Dublin in firing line now next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Can see lightning every few seconds from greystones looking south, only one actually close enough to provide thunder.

That got me into the porch , lifted me off the wall haha bring it on !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Lightning every 30 seconds or so in Kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

That got me into the porch , lifted me off the wall haha bring it on !

Where are you Mad Lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Outside wicklow town here. Thunder starting to die out /get more distant but no end to flashing though it is getting further apart. Rain was so heavy it woke me about 30 mins ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Woke up 40 min ago in South Kilkenny but now it's very distant. Moved off north and mostly stopped aside from distant glimpses.

Think it'll come back down here or am I safe to go back to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gone very quiet here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Irish sea is lighting up. Dublin in firing line now next hour or so.

Sods law says they will die going over the mountains and Dublin will get some rain. Happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Is everything okay in Wicklow? Sitting at my window in South Dublin looking at this amazing show to my south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is everything okay in Wicklow? Sitting at my window in South Dublin looking at this amazing show to my south

Still some thunder.... But it's the hail & rain now that is hammering down

*edit.... And now it's passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Woah. Spent last 30 mins comforting the dogs and watching the show. Never seen the likes of it here. One cell South. One west. Two east. Each direction I look. Rain on and off torrential . Wind changed from strong to dead still. Eerie.

Yes eerie. A nod to the snow bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭votecounts

Fairly bad in carlow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

Effing epic here in ashford... dying down after an hours light show... was the 80's last time i saw anything like it. Having been waiting 30 years for this night.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

votecounts wrote: »

Watching the tail end of it from the second floor here. Some of the best fork lightning I've witnessed for quite some time. Hopefully not too much damage out and about after such a high frequency of strikes. The Mrs is like "will you ever close the window and go to sleep!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

votecounts wrote: »

Short lived but intense seems to be the theme. Watching all of these pop up and dir out. Castlecomer/durrow direction seems to be hogging it for now .

Lightning to the south has an orange ting now but not as frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I saw this looking southeast after a massive lighting bolt, not sure what it is

https://vimeo.com/272053183

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Anybody having issues with lightning maps.org working? Can’t get it to load on my iPhone.

Am in Delvin and looking out at clear skies except looking towards the south east and the clouds look amazing for thunder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I saw this looking southeast after a massive lighting bolt, not sure what it is

https://vimeo.com/272053183

Ball lightning?

Advertisement