Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fxotoole wrote: »
    I'd love to hear what that poster who said he'd "bust a nut" today when No won is doing tonight?

Something about renting a windowless van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I flicked on the live stream of mass there to see what the priest would say and the priest gave a sermon basically saying. You either with us or against us basically and make up your mind!

one day they'll do that and then have a conniption when people start getting up to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

My understanding is that it is restricted in the sense that abortion won't be provided in the case that the foetus is diagnosed with Downs Syndrome etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My understanding is that it is restricted in the sense that abortion won't be provided in the case that the foetus is diagnosed with Downs Syndrome etc

So it's her body her choice....until the baby has downs. At which point she's booking a Ryanair flight?

Perfectly healthy baby's- abortion good up til 12 weeks but disabled babies are exempt from this fate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Aidric wrote: »
    The same sex marriage referendum showed the Irish electorate to be mature, fair, considerate, reflective and above all compassionate. It was the first time in our recent history a definitive statement on the conscious of the nation.

That result gave me quiet confidence that this vote would go the same way. The no campaign was defined by fudge and obfuscation. Moreover it was spearheaded by some pretty closeted headbangers who represent an Ireland of a different era. On mature reflection the contributions of the no side would have swung any undecided voters to the yes side.

An historic day by any benchmark. Congratulations to all those yes campaigners who led such an honest campaign.

I hoped that would be true also but couldn’t bring myself to hope too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That’s not checked for nor easily (if at all) diagnosed before 12 weeks.

Once the pregnancy is less than 12 weeks the woman will be allowed abort once the 72 hours has lapsed.

I’m not sure what happens if the 72 hours takes the pregnancy over the 12 week mark.

Most will occur weeks before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is it the government's position that it wants to legislate without restrictions to 12 weeks?

This is important because if we extrapolate the figures from the UK which is 190,000 abortions per year give or take and they are supposed to have restrictions in terms of medical need (mental health etc) and we apply an even laxer regime here to 12 weeks...

...then that means it is very likely that we could be seeing up to 16,000 abortions per year in Ireland in, say, 10 years.

Am I missing something or are people suggesting that Irish people are culturally so dissimilar to British that that would not be the case?

I'm not casting aspirations by the way. I'm just teasing out from the evidence from next door and the evidence suggests that abortions are going to increase very significantly among Irish women.

That 16,000 figure (if it came even close to it) has implications for the structure of the country's population pyramid as well which I did not see touched on at all. There is a potential serious economic cost here if we got close to that.

I think you’ve highlighted the danger of extrapolation.

inconvenient_truth1.jpg

There is more data to suggest that, within some number of years depending on how the rollout of access occurs, abortion rates will reach some peak rate per 1000 live births that will never be seen again because of being coupled with greater sex education and access to contraceptives. This was the case in the US also - 7 years after Roe vs Wade and those rates we’re never seen again.

US-abortion-rates-1960-2012.gif

Either way you can be certain that UK figures are going to dip in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My prediction for number on the first year will be ~9k.

This will account for those that would travel anyway, those taking pills at home, those that could not otherwise access a termination, and those that will travel to the state for a termination (Northern Ireland citizens will find crossing to the border easier than getting a flight. )

My prediction for number on the first year will be ~9k.

This will account for those that would travel anyway, those taking pills at home, those that could not otherwise access a termination, and those that will travel to the state for a termination (Northern Ireland citizens will find crossing to the border easier than getting a flight. )

I don’t think the first year will be that high unless national rollout is swift. The peak rate will be seen in a few years, not immediately. It will take time to establish regulated alternative to the online ordered pills etc. and get people over the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

You couldn't make this up
    IkXzfac.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

F2LZ394.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

F2LZ394.jpg

Or Robert from Kilkenny... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

the priest gave a sermon basically saying. You either with us or against us basically and make up your mind!

Fuhrer Ratzinger was keen on this idea - a much, much smaller church of much, much crazier people.

Pope Francis is more inclusive. I liked the smaller church Ratz had planned, because it was smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

amcalester wrote: »
    That’s not checked for nor easily (if at all) diagnosed before 12 weeks.

Once the pregnancy is less than 12 weeks the woman will be allowed abort once the 72 hours has lapsed.

I’m not sure what happens if the 72 hours takes the pregnancy over the 12 week mark.

Most will occur weeks before that though.

I'm afraid it can be checked for at an early stage and the technology continues to evolve.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=8487

This will account for those that would travel anyway, those taking pills at home, those that could not otherwise access a termination, and those that will travel to the state for a termination )

What about the lady stand-up comedians who get pregnant so they can have an abortion for a laugh?

They were apparently weighing heavily on the minds of No voters, so they must be a significant percentage.

spookwoman wrote: »

Is that what an actual neckbeard looks like?

I'm afraid it can be checked for at an early stage.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=8487

It also costs 500+ euro to do here and is not offered as standard to any woman. Its also a screening test not a diagnostic test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

spookwoman wrote: »

But those beards, that's what we should be talking about.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    But those beards, that's what we should be talking about.

download%202.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

January wrote: »
    It also costs 500+ euro to do here and is not offered as standard to any woman. Its also a screening test not a diagnostic test.

Fair enough January I accept your point.

Yes, but all over before 5.00 pm Monday. No court is going to entertain them.

Fair enough January I accept your point.

Listen don't get me wrong I reckon we will have some who do the test and abort based on those results if it can be done within the 12 week time frame but these are the ones who would travel anyway and I still believe it should be made safer for those looking to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh i'm sure somebody that is completely unconnected to any of the campaigns will try something.

So on Monday does anyone reckon some nutjobs will be down the High Court looking to have the result overturned?

So what if they do. Trying to deny the High Court to people now?
    Why not just lock up all the no siders?

So what if they do. Trying to deny the high court to people now?
    Why not just lock up all the no siders? Probably easier!

who said they wanted the high court denied to anybody? perhaps you need to lie down.

So what if they do. Trying to deny the High Court to people now?

Not me, happy to see them waste their money on lawyers.

• Advertisement

Not me, happy to see them waste their money on lawyers.

well except it wont necessarily be their own money they. If the court thinks the decision is in the public interest then the government will pay their legal bills.

Advertisement