Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sheeps wrote: »
    This may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    To be honest I can't decide I agree with you, or if it's actually 100% correct. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sheeps wrote: »
    This may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Good retort. I couldn't possibly debate with such a master of the art.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Get your card stamped.

10th one is free

98VKeal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

amcalester wrote: »
    Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancies.

Is it the government's position that it wants to legislate without restrictions to 12 weeks?

This is important because if we extrapolate the figures from the UK which is 190,000 abortions per year give or take and they are supposed to have restrictions in terms of medical need (mental health etc) and we apply an even laxer regime here to 12 weeks...

...then that means it is very likely that we could be seeing up to 16,000 abortions per year in Ireland in, say, 10 years.

Am I missing something or are people suggesting that Irish people are culturally so dissimilar to British that that would not be the case?

I'm not casting aspirations by the way. I'm just teasing out from the evidence from next door and the evidence suggests that abortions are going to increase very significantly among Irish women.

That 16,000 figure (if it came even close to it) has implications for the structure of the country's population pyramid as well which I did not see touched on at all. There is a potential serious economic cost here if we got close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It will legislate without restrictions to 12 weeks?

That's the plan.

They will have to pass it like any other legislation, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Actually I’m not even pregnant and I’m planning an abortion. I hear they’re all the rage. Will I pick you up one while I’m there?

Me too, I'll give you a few quid for petrol, we can get some lunch afterwards and compare notes.

Am I missing something or are people suggesting that Irish people are culturally so dissimilar to British that that would not be the case?

Yes, lots of people are saying that we are different and that that would not be the case.

As you say, we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

erica74 wrote: »
    Me too, I'll give you a few quid for petrol, we can get some lunch afterwards and compare notes.

I thought skiing had to be involved at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the continuous crying by the no sulkers makes for hilarious reading

Is it the government's position that it wants to legislate without restrictions to 12 weeks?

This is important because if we extrapolate the figures from the UK which is 190,000 abortions per year give or take and they are supposed to have restrictions in terms of medical need (mental health etc) and we apply an even laxer regime here to 12 weeks...

...then that means it is very likely that we could be seeing up to 16,000 abortions per year in Ireland in, say, 10 years.

I'm not casting aspirations by the way. I'm just teasing out from the evidence from next door and the evidence suggests that abortions are going to increase very significantly among Irish women.

Or, the number may remain the same or similar, who knows.
    Imagine if the number of abortions went down and live births went up, you'd lose your mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you want to reduce the abortion rate, work on getting real sex education into schools (rather than the religious ****e pushed by the Iona crowd), wider access to contraception (as opposed by the Iona crowd), and maybe even some education about consent and bodily autonomy (as opposed etc etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It will increase and it will cause a lot of drama but it's because posted pills were never captured in statistics and now they will be.

Trips to UK are only captured if the woman gives an Irish address too, and many who were staying with their friends or relatives would give their address instead; actual numbers are higher.

Expect the numbers to rise for these two reasons alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That 16,000 figure (if it came even close to it) has implications for the structure of the country's population pyramid as well which I did not see touched on at all. There is a potential serious economic cost here if we got close to that.

Which is why I am launching a campaign to legalize euthanasia to tip the scales back into equilibrium.

My suggestion is that euthanasia licenses will be issued on a 1:1 ratio to abortion pill prescriptions taking into account both race and religion.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I thought skiing had to be involved at some stage.

It's a bit late in the year for skiing, we're going to Ibiza.

Glad to see the result of the vote as it helps the people who will really need it.

Apart from this two other things resulting from the vote are making me happy.

First that people were able to see past all the lies and bull of the no side, from both the official campaign and from posters on here and other online platforms. Perhaps actually together for yes should send them all big thank you posts because they definitely help push a lot of people towards yes.

Secondly what is making me happy are the trolls and the snary comments about the result from some established posters on the site on this very thread.
    The same established posters who are consistently posting fu*k knuckle style threads and replies about women and other issues around equality and the type of country Ireland is becoming in threads on the site and moan about it being for feminazis, soyboys etc.

Why do the make me happy? Because the vote today was a vote for women and this has them sitting at home going mental that the majority of the country don't share their views and that apart from a few other dickhea*s it shows what sad little people they are and how the majority feel about their ideas and opinions, and they just can't do anything about it other than come onto the thread and post their usual sh*te.

Anyway off for a pint in celebration, well done to all who voted yes today you did the best thing you could have for your loved ones and strangers you'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the continuous crying by the no sulkers makes for hilarious reading

At least they're not rattling their beads and bangin on about eternal damnation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

strandroad wrote: »
    It will increase and it will cause a lot of drama but it's because posted pills were never captured in statistics and now they will be.

Trips to UK are only captured if the woman gives an Irish address too, and many who were staying with their friends or relatives would give their address instead; actual numbers are higher.

Expect the numbers to rise for these two reasons alone.
    Aye, in the grand scheme of things there won't be much difference in the true figures once it is fully legalised and when everything you mentioned above is taken into consideration. Plus, in most western countries where abortion has been legalised the rates decrease over time. Thankfully, I believe that will happen here. We will have less abortions when we legalise it, than we ever did when it was legal.

I should also add that I am glad Leo Varadkar reiterated his intent to have some kind of proper sex education for teens. That is something that is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Allan Blandford

If i was female certainly not to be conceived in China or India.
    In fact I wouldn't like to be conceived/born/live in any country on list A because there would be a reasonable prospect of not being allowed to exist. That's fairly logical don't you think.

I'd choose perhaps the one country where i'd have the best chance of avoiding being aborted, surviving until birth and living a reasonably prosperous life. In other words Ireland as it currently stands.

Don't worry because by the law of karma only those who voted yes are going to be aborted .

Bambi wrote: »
    At least they're not rattling their beads and bangin on about eternal damnation

They have learned not to do that in public. That's why they set up Iona, to be a lay charity group who just by coincidence agree with everything a Bishop ever said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I'd love to hear what that poster who said he'd "bust a nut" today when No won is doing tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Ah jokes about abortion.

Its great isn't it!

Its great isn't it!

It really, really is. So, so happy since the polls last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

DubInMeath wrote: »
    First that people were able to see past all the lies and bull of the no side, from both the official campaign and from posters on here and other online platforms. Perhaps actually together for yes should send them all big thank you posts because they definitely help push a lot of people towards yes.

The same sex marriage referendum showed the Irish electorate to be mature, fair, considerate, reflective and above all compassionate. It was the first time in our recent history a definitive statement on the conscious of the nation.

That result gave me quiet confidence that this vote would go the same way. The no campaign was defined by fudge and obfuscation. Moreover it was spearheaded by some pretty closeted headbangers who represent an Ireland of a different era. On mature reflection the contributions of the no side would have swung any undecided voters to the yes side.

An historic day by any benchmark. Congratulations to all those yes campaigners who led such an honest campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah jokes about abortion.

Its great isn't it!

Better than outright lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

fxotoole wrote: »
    I'd love to hear what that poster who said he'd "bust a nut" today when No won is doing tonight?

Angry **** instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

They have learned not to do that in public. That's why they set up Iona, to be a lay charity group who just by coincidence agree with everything a Bishop ever said.

no no no...thats just a coincidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Angry **** instead?

self-flagellation probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I flicked on the live stream of mass there to see what the priest would say and the priest gave a sermon basically saying. You either with us or against us basically and make up your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

amcalester wrote: »
    self-flagellation probably.

I'm half expecting the local god botherers to be doing this around Dublin Castle:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Without restriction as to reason. There will be plenty of restrictions such as the 72 hour waiting period and the fact a gp has to sign off on and report it.

Advertisement